The Season Of Slides And Sandals

JeffB

Once upon a time, say three or so years ago, you couldn't have paid me to wear either of the following:

--sandals

--slides

--platforms

--wedges

Of course, things have changed since then as I've fully embraced all of the above. In fact, since spring arrived in these parts, I've gone on 25 outings, 20 have been in slides or sandals, especially the former as I've fallen in love with the Payless "O'Malley" slides, they've been my go to shoes over the last couple of months as on many occasions, they've been the only shoes I've wanted to wear, and I thoroughly enjoyed wearing them because of their style, comfort and how easy they are to stand and walk in them, thanks to the stability of the platform wedges, as has been the case with the sandals in my collection. Needless to say, those seasonal shoes have paired wonderfully with my skirts.

I guess this qualifies as yet another paradigm shift in my continuing evolution as a fashion freestyler as I've come to realize there's more to shoes than just the enclosed variety (i.e., pumps and loafers) which I had worn religiously for years. However, with September right around the corner, and cooler weather to follow, my season of slides and sandals will soon come to a close, and a part of me will be sad about that. Still, once autumn and winter have come and gone and spring returns, I'll be eager to head out in my slides and sandals once more. Opinions?

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Jeff,   You have become famous in our circles for your skirts so why let cooler weather dissuade you from wearing sandals or slides? Philadelphia has the longest summers anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line and winters are laughable compared to most of the Midwest so I think you could wear sandals right into November or longer if you are not so sensitive to the cold. I see pumps worn in Chicago through the winter as long as there isn't snow actually falling. You certainly look good in just about everything you wear and have the confidence to do it in the first place. Why let fake calendar fashion dates keep you from expressing yourself? 

As far as wedges and platforms go I remember encouraging you to try out wedges and you certainly like them now. Owing to their more stable design I believe wedges can be worn almost anywhere and in any almost any month. You can even wear a larger wedge with colored socks or leggings. I love wedges and my buddy, Steve63130 in Ohio, has seen me wearing several different pairs. They're fun and versatile! Great for driving, shopping, or attending an outdoor wedding. ANd I swear by his favorite nail salon for pedicures. HappyinHeels

Opinion ? Why not wear platform wedges year round ? I have worn my platform wedge pumps in January and February . I have just about started wearing nothing but wedge heels . Age seems to have a lot to do with styles as well . When I was younger the stiletto was " in "  and as age took it's toll on me wedges seem more appropriate .  I love them, and they go well with jeans. . By far platform wedges are more fun to wear than stiletto heels plus they are less likely to get damaged . The pair of Lunar wedges I have in black and Leopard and they look good with trouser socks and long skirt   Jeff here are few I wear year round . The leopard pair are the Lunar pumps .

post-7601-0-67779900-1440663735_thumb.jp

post-7601-0-90228900-1440663799_thumb.jp

post-7601-0-32650700-1440663873_thumb.jp

post-7601-0-25814100-1440663927_thumb.jp

post-7601-0-19961700-1440663958_thumb.jp

post-7601-0-75003700-1440663987_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments. I guess one reason for wanting to change footwear come September or October is so I can break out my boots which I enjoy wearing, but I would agree with both of you that platform wedges have that certain style that can be worn all year around, weather permitting. I'll certainly investigate what I can about continuing to wear slides and sandals deeper into what's left of the year.

I recently watched an episode of the cable show 'The Strain', on FX. One of the actresses wore wedge pumps. They looked good.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

I like sandals. I'm usually too big to wear boots and pumps on offer in almost every store, but I can fit in smaller sized sandals. Especially the front laced variety.

Platforms and wedge however I abhor with a fiery passion.

I have also undergone a paradigm shift. I used to hate mules/slides and thongs, but today they are my absolute favorite styles!

I have yet to accept wedges as enthusiastically as have you. I have just a few pairs, but they are mainly for practicality, as in when it's necessary to walk on a non-paved surface for an extended period of time. Even then, you have to be rather picky. I have 2 pairs of Sbicca wedges that are infuriatingly unsuitable for off-road use.

• 7 months later...

Even though it hasn't exactly been springlike since April arrived, the time will soon arrive to trot out my slides and sandals, and I'm thrilled because of how I've come to love wearing such shoes with my lighter and airy seasonal skirts. Never thought I'd be eager or excited to wear slides and sandals, but I am! I can't wait!

I'm with you, Jeff! I can't wait for it to get warm enough consistently to wear sandals. We've had a couple of odd days since January where the temp soared into the 60s and 70s, but just until wintery weather returned.

Steve

I was out running errands in my avatar sandals all day today !!!!   fun, fun.....   take care all.....   sf

P.S. Don't worry, summer will come !!!!!

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Weather here is rather breezey.  Not good for golfers playing at the "Masters" that is going on this weekend a hop, skip and short jump from my back door.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yesterday, I reacquainted myself with the Payless "O'Malley" platform slides while fiddling around with a spring based outfit featuring a short denim skirt. I had forgotten just how comfy, easy to wear and fun those shoes are, and since I have them in four different colors (black, brown, beige and blue/pink), I can see where they will mostly likely again be my go to shoes for the upcoming warm weather months to come. Oh, yeah, there will be plenty of time spent in my platform sandals as I've come to enjoy wearing those shoes as well. Bring on the season!

JeffB,

Glad to hear that your Payless, "O'malley" slide sandals, are coming out of storage. With all the cold out this April, it may be some time, before we can wear our sandals out. I'm anxious to wear my "O'Malley", slides, too.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

On 08/04/2016 at 3:37 PM, Steve63130 said:

SF,

I'm jealous! It was around freezing here this morning and it's gonna be cold this entire weekend. Blah!

Steve

Yep - we had 7 inches of snow on Saturday - - gone Monday.

JeffB,

I wandered through a Payless about a month ago and nearly yawned as the selection just didn't speak to me. When did the "O'Malley" arrive in their stores?  I have occasionally bought there and still have my second pair of "Cosmic" wedge pumps since I actually wore out the first pair. 

HappyinHeels

7 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

JeffB,

I wandered through a Payless about a month ago and nearly yawned as the selection just didn't speak to me. When did the "O'Malley" arrive in their stores?  I have occasionally bought there and still have my second pair of "Cosmic" wedge pumps since I actually wore out the first pair. 

HappyinHeels

I believe the "O'Malley" slides showed up in stores little over a year ago, not exactly sure when. I remember buying a pair mainly out of curiosity, I liked them right away and bought three other colors.

Yep, been a lovely 15-20C for a couple of weeks now, and I and the women in the office have all been remarking how lovely to break out our open-toed shoes.

On the other hand, I got a small amount of flack when I wore them when I went to work in the machine shop! lol

The weather has been nice here of late, good conditions for sandals, something I never thought I'd say just a couple of years ago. I've come to appreciate the appeal of such shoes during spring and summer, and I now love wearing them.

2 hours ago, JeffB said:

The weather has been nice here of late, good conditions for sandals, something I never thought I'd say just a couple of years ago. I've come to appreciate the appeal of such shoes during spring and summer, and I now love wearing them.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the appeal for you? What made you do a 180? For me, it was my changing attitude toward gender-segregated styles. When I was growing up in the 1980s, you rarely saw men or boys wearing sandals, because they were considered rather feminine. So of course I always secretly wished I could wear sandals. 

Of course, times changed, and men began to wear sandals all summer. It then became an issue of refusing to put something that ugly (99% of men's sandals) on my feet. I am very particular about my feet. Funny, I know. I had to go all the way to Vietnam before I found some men's sandals that were not hideous. That was about 8 years ago. 3 years ago, I bought my first pair of women's sandals, and of course I haven't had a bit of trouble finding awesome looking sandals since. 

miroseplant: To answer your question, I'm not entirely sure what sparked my appreciation for slides and sandals. I would say it began as an experiment, to see what those shoes would look like on me, when I discovered I liked what I saw, and how well slides in particular went well with my skirts, I went with the flow and the rest was history. I've come to appreciate how much fun it is to wear sandals and slides in the spring and summer.

I have always been a "sandal guy," even as a child.  Having lived on the west coast (US) all my life, the weather is just warmer here, and I always enjoyed going barefoot and wearing sandals.  As a matter of fact, most all of my gals shoes are sandals, I have a few clogs and one solitary pair of pumps for the cooler winter days.  To me wearing sandals is refreshing and fun, especially on a warm spring or summer day, like being barefoot with protection.  I have always preferred gals sandals 'cause I think that most guys styles just look ugly.  

When I was a teen I began to wear gals flat sandals, and made the "jump" to heels about 20 years ago.  I am always happy when the warm summer (sandal) days roll around.  Take care all....   sf

I got two new pairs of wedge heel, slide sandals, recently.  A pair in navy suede, from Kohl's Department Store, "SNALICEBLUE" and a pair in  bright cherry, from Roman's.com, Comfortview, "Tulip". Both pairs have a 4" heel, with a 3/4" platform. They are very comfortable to wear. They are very similar to the Payless, "O'Malley" slides, of which I have four pairs. Bring on the warmer weather!

Incidentally, the Comfortview, "Tulip" wedge goes up to a size 12WW. Also in black and natural (tan) colors.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Edited by bluejay
spelling

• 3 weeks later...

At present, I have four pairs of slides (the Payless "O'Malley") and five pairs of sandals, all platform wedges with four inch heels (the "Wonder Crossband" clocks in at 4 1/2) and I am completely enthralled by all of them and have come to love wearing them. There's just a certain....something about those shoes I find totally irresistable because they look good on me, especially when paired with my skirts. Several years ago, you couldn't have paid me to wear slides or sandals, today, I can't wear them enough!

I just recently received my new Aerosoles, "Light N Sweet", wedge heel, sandal slides, with 3" heels. I got them in white. They have a true white leather look, unlike the Payless, "O'Malley" slides, which is a more off white color, in fabric. They are very comfortable to wear and I'm anxious for Memorial Day, to get here so we can wear our white shoes out. Hopefully the weather will warm up too.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

On 5/17/2016 at 2:27 AM, bluejay said:

I just recently received my new Aerosoles, "Light N Sweet", wedge heel, sandal slides, with 3" heels. I got them in white. They have a true white leather look, unlike the Payless, "O'Malley" slides, which is a more off white color, in fabric. They are very comfortable to wear and I'm anxious for Memorial Day, to get here so we can wear our white shoes out. Hopefully the weather will warm up too.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Maybe the weather will warm up by July.

Too bad the weather is on the cold side for you folks east of the Mississippi.  The past week I have been out exclusively (locally and in Las Vegas) wearing the sandals in my avatar.  Had a great time, a few folks noticed, no one commented, overall a non event...   Hope the wx warms up for ya soon, I love sandals and sandal season !!!!  Take care, sf