Shoe Fails

mlroseplant

Sometimes, what I thought was going to be a really cool pair of kicks turns out to be less than great. I've had many "fails" over the past three years, but I'll give a specific example. I bought a pair of Nine West Plantera, which is a loafer-style pump, a style which I normally like very much. I've put enough miles on these shoes to have them reheeled, but lately when I look in the mirror, I see Kim Jung-il's (former leader of North Korea, known, among other things, for his hideous platform shoes) shoes staring back at me. See photos below. They are just too thick in the forefoot to look good with normal dress pants.

Is there any hope for these? I hate to get rid of them, but I need some ideas about what they might look good with.

post-19325-0-34521800-1440472180_thumb.j

post-19325-0-06166900-1440472192_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hey mlroseplant,

I think I understand somewhat of your failed vision. It's hard to revamp your thinking when a certain negative image gets imbedded. There have been a lot of beautiful high heels on the market that I would have given a month's salary to own and wear, if it weren't for the shape and placement of the stilettos. Take, for instance, the picture of your loafer-style pumps as one of these lovely heels. The loafer detailing and height are quite alluring, but the heel looks to straight and it appears to only hold up the very back of the shoe, leaving the arch support visually non-existent. With this physical perception, I see my arches falling so stressfully that they break, which leaves only the heel bones of my feet to hold me up. This goes on to develop my view of me standing on two peg-leg stubs atop of thin sticks instead of feet. Although I love the way high heels shorten the expanse area of my feet, I don't particularly care for the stubble look. So with this kind of envisioning going on, most of the high heels on the market today tend to be repulsive. Of course, this abhorred effect has somewhat of a silver lining in that I'm quite less inclined to spend my budget on these type of heels.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mlroseplant,

I think I understand somewhat of your failed vision. It's hard to revamp your thinking when a certain negative image gets imbedded. There have been a lot of beautiful high heels on the market that I would have given a month's salary to own and wear, if it weren't for the shape and placement of the stilettos. Take, for instance, the picture of your loafer-style pumps as one of these lovely heels. The loafer detailing and height are quite alluring, but the heel looks to straight and it appears to only hold up the very back of the shoe, leaving the arch support visually non-existent. With this physical perception, I see my arches falling so stressfully that they break, which leaves only the heel bones of my feet to hold me up. This goes on to develop my view of me standing on two peg-leg stubs atop of thin sticks instead of feet. Although I love the way high heels shorten the expanse area of my feet, I don't particularly care for the stubble look. So with this kind of envisioning going on, most of the high heels on the market today tend to be repulsive. Of course, this abhorred effect has somewhat of a silver lining in that I'm quite less inclined to spend my budget on these type of heels.

Well said!  Too many shoes have that set-back heel (whether stiletto or otherwise) which looks like an afterthought.   And add a platform and a very round toe and, imho, most shoes lose all style and elegance.  

I don't dislike the loafers shown (and the platform is not excessive), although I think a lower, chunkier (stacked) heel looks better on this style of showe, which is essentially a man's shoe adapted by women - and which thoroughly deserves to be recaptured by men!.

• 3 months later...
On 8/25/2015 at 11:10 PM, mlroseplant said:

I've put enough miles on these shoes to have them reheeled, but lately when I look in the mirror, I see Kim Jung-il's shoes staring back at me.

The shoes look great and you must like them too if you have had to reheel them.  My advice is to banish that image of Kim Jung-il from your mind and replace it with something like this :

Young-Woman-Wearing-Jeans-And-Black-High

Always enjoy your heels.

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

On 12/14/2015 at 7:33 AM, Thighbootguy said:

The shoes look great and you must like them too if you have had to reheel them.  My advice is to banish that image of Kim Jung-il from your mind and replace it with something like this :

Young-Woman-Wearing-Jeans-And-Black-High

Always enjoy your heels.

Oh, that's another problem for me. I do see that image in my mind when I pick out my clothes and shoes. Unfortunately, reality doesn't bear this out at all. Seriously, I seem to have gotten over the Kim Jung-il thing, and I've tailored a pair of pants (with the help of my tailor friend, also a big high heel fan) which hang nicely over the shoes in question, and I've worn them quite a bit more often lately.