What Do You Think Of This Skirt-Coat?

freestyle75

Hi,

while browsing the upcoming fall/winter collections, I found the following coat by Moncler, which I fell in love with the first time I saw it. It's quite unusual as it is a combincation of a cropped puffer jacket and a (down filled) skirt. Do you think a guy could wear this?

I ordered it to the nearest Moncler store yesterday, and it will probably arrive in 1-2 weeks - unfortunately it only goes up to a size 4, which is comparable to a women's US size 10, and I am more of a size 12... besides the sizing issue, I hope that the two zippers at the bust area do not also act as a "dart", which is used to make room for the bust area. With Moncler, some of their women's jackets can be easily worn by a guy without any alteration needed, with some others, I first had to take them to the tailor to get them altered.

skirt_coat_small_zpslfpyfeqp.jpg

In motion...

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_zpswt7cekh2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Freestyle, interesting find, that combination look is different but the concept is warming up to me. Personally I would like a lower waist band towards the hip but is does cover ones body from colder elements. Hmm, "could a guy wear this?" I think so, the right guy though.

Wow you have the places to find good stuff in Europe, would quite sometime before it hits here in North America.

Thanks for sharing!

... drove 250 miles on Friday to try it on & take it home...

Sorry for the bad picture quality, I took the pictures outside during a very cloudy day (between two rainshowers) and had to dial up the brightness quite a bit.

moncler01_zpsgnemer0m.jpg

There are virtually no bust darts, so it's pretty ok from the side as well.

moncler02_zpsf4vfwv8d.jpg

If you want to get your own, Neiman Marcus has them in stock, however the price is 47% higher than in Europe.

@mtnsofheels: The "right guy" could wear this... what do you think makes up the "right" guy? -- I fell in love with it the first time I saw it, so even though it may look awkward, I still like it very much. By the way, the skirt-part is also filled with downs, so even below the waistband, the coat is quite warm.

Edited by freestyle75

It looks awesome! Does the shell seem like it will repel water pretty well? We live in one of those "wintry mix" climates. I'm very tempted.

Shell: Yes, it will definitely repel water quite well. It's made of 100% Nylon/Polyamide, filled with 90% Goose Down and 10% feathers. The fur is made from fox, which was dyed to a different color. The whole coat feels very well made, however the designers did use a button / loop fastening for the hood - with one of the buttons already coming off when I pulled a bit too hard on the hood when putting it on (that's when I realized that they didn't use a zipper, but buttons...), and one of the other buttons being close to giving up. Nothing I couldn't solve with a few stitches and some yarn, but I would have expected a better solution to attach the hood. Other than that, I am extremely happy with the coat.

Picture: Skirt part in left part of picture, middle is the rubber band thingy in the midsection of the coat, right side of the picture is the upper half of the coat:

fabric01_zpslgv3gx6l.jpg

Here is another closeup of the skirt part fabric.

Suboptimal solution to attach hood, will be fixed by me sewing it right once and for all.

cap_zpsdtmygatg.jpg

Amazing fur:

fur_zpsdnny6o3f.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Freestyle75, looking good, good for you in getting yourself one. I meant by "the right guy" is basically someone as your self versus a larger fellow that say would be from a motorcycle gang..just can't see that, but like yourself who does wear them and knows how to put it together with other items such as boots and skirts and leggings. Like much of the fashion today is not for everyone, but some people will just shine it a item.

Thanks for sharing!

It is an absolutely awesome skirt/coat , but I almost fainted when I saw the price. I am very jealous of people who have the discretionary income to buy treasures like this . Thank You for sharing it, all the same !

Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it....oh!

@mtnsofheels: Thanks for the note, this is quite a relief for me. I guess there would even be better suited guys for that coat, e.g. thinner than I am, maybe with hair that is not yet that gray, etc. -- but then again, I now do have the confidence to wear something like this, which is one of the most important things about freestyling.

@BelleDeMer: Thanks for the compliments about the awesome coat. True, the price *is* steep, but then again, these are the types of things that come, are here for a single season, and are sold out very quickly, not coming back. Then again, on a more deeper level than just the superficial fashion-thingy, I just discussed with a friend today that at the (managerial) level I am currently at the company, I wonder whether the additional discretionary income is worth all the things that I am giving up (not much time left e.g. on the weekends, not much time to visit or do something with friends, etc.), and the things that I now see that are just on that managerial level that make me stay awake in the night (discussions about people getting fired, etc.). We both agreed that as much as the material things are nice, you shouldn't lose yourself in the process of becoming "one of the managers" or earning big bucks. It's just not worth it.

I know that this doesn't help you much, but when you see someone running around in a similar coat, just think of the fact that the person wearing it might just have these material things to enjoy life. That doesn't have to be bad, but if I could exchange any of the things that I have bought against e.g. a meaningful relationship, I wouldn't even have considered buying it.