Mens Styles - Mens Fashion Week

Heelster

CNN started a new style section, so curious me went looking. Had an article regarding mens fashion etc.

I went looking and for some reason, nothing interested me - - - - Nothing shown looked like anything I would even consider.

I'll admt - - I dress pretty casual. A lot of T-Shirts but I find I end up in womens jeans a good portion of  the time I'm not working. I have very few reasons or occasions that require more than that. Just like my profile say's, I live in the sticks - - - There are few reasons to actually get dressed up for anything. 

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/30/fashion/yohji-yamamoto-thom-browne-menswear-interview/index.html

So I'm wondering, am I off in left field, or are these concept designs way to far out.

Pure theatre from what I can see. To be fair most of the women's fashions on the catwalk are just as outlandish. Nothing that anybody normal, of either sex, would ever actually wear. Whenever I see men's fashion and 'avant garde' in the same sentence or paragraph I prepare myself to see something gruesomely androgenous. I am seldom disappointed.

Like you, I seldom have any occasion to dress up. I work from home, excapt for when I am travelling on an assignment and even then I never go anywhere that fine clothes are required, ir even standard business attire. I do not even own a tie and I doubt very much after this amount of time I could tie one.

"" I do not even own a tie and I doubt very much after this amount of time I could tie one.""

I did for a few year. Spent some time in a cubicle farm where ties were required. I still have some very old satin ties from the 30's and 40's but I rarely ever wear them.

A tie is nothing more than a noose one ties around his own neck.

Good point. It would indeed. I read an article not long ago about a guy in Africa who loved bow ties, built up a collection of a couple thousand, many of which he designed himself. Now he has a bow tie making business and is doing very well for himself. The article had photos of him with his colourful, patterned creations, and he looked rather cool. If you're going to wear a metaphoric noose, might as well make it a stylish one.

Alas, if I could not tie a regular tie I'd never master one of those.

I too am a casual dresser, basic denim pants with a T Shirt or nice looking collared shirt. Sort of "plain vanilla wrapper," but nice.

None of those "fashions" appealed to me, if I wore some of that stuff around my town, it would probably create more of a row than when I head out in heels, ha, ha. But what the heck, to each his own. sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

None of the designs in that article resonate with me - but there are designs which I have liked in the past and still could imagine to wear on the street. Heck, yes, I am wearing this kind of stuff some times, but mostly during winter, probably because you can layer much more during winter than during summer. Is all of it wearable? No, certainly not (in most cases). You take ONE piece of a designer like Yohji and combine it with another piece of a different designer...

Just an example:

00250fullscreen.jpg

That's Rick Owens 2011 fall/winter. I bought his coat - unfortunately only available in black in my size -, bought a longer turtleneck sweater from a Russian designer and winter shorts from the same designer and combine either knee-high wedge boots or regular boots (without much heel) with the outfit.

Here's the sweater / shorts combination of the Russian designer:

11_sosnovska_lookbook_autumnwinter201120

Personally, I like designs more that have a cinched waist (at least a little) instead of being totally "boxy" (rectangle/square).

Many designers nowadays that say they design "unisex" in fact just leave out any trace of form-fitting silhouette, which then certainly is unisex, but - in my opinion - takes away the miracle of clothes that actually flatter your figure.

But you are right, the places where you can wear ANY non-standard outfit certainly are limited.

As it is over 38° C / 100 °F here, I was doing my grocery shopping this Saturday in a mid-length skirt (petrol coloured) with matching T-Shirt and sneakers. By coincidence, I met a female project manager from work in the supermarket. She didn't make ANY comment on my clothing, except for the fact that she prefers shorts to skirts when it is so hot. Let's see whether I will be the gossip talk in the office from tomorrow onwards...