The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

Yes, 'solvent weld' is the usual term here for the process to join uPVC and/or ABS pipework (including electrical conduit, which comes in 20mm and 25mm o/d sizes).   As you say, the smell is quite distinctive - and potentially addictive - and the solvent should be used with care as it has some anaesthetic qualities, as do most chlorinated organic solvents such as chloroform, carbon tetrachloride, trichloroethylene etc that are widely used for cleaning/degreasing as well as being common plastic solvents.

I can't see too clearly from your pics but I'm guessing that the threaded plastic parts are the unscrewable elements of the trap and what appears to be an air admittance valve.   Threads in uPVC components can give trouble if they are mot put together squarely (i.e. crossthreaded) and thereby get damaged or stripped.

Do you mean to tell me that only the equivalent of 1/2" and 3/4" PVC is allowed for electrical use? We use 1/2" all the way through 6" here. The electrical conduit corresponds exactly in dimension to the plumbing stuff, but is made slightly differently to allow heating and bending, which plumbers never do. The same is true for the metal threaded stuff, all sizes are interchangeable between steamfitters/plumbers and electricians, but the materials are not interchangeable.

In the UK, the conduit and plumbing pipe sizes are different. You're not meant to use conduit for plumbing or plumbing pipe as conduit. Though there's no problem using a bit of plumbing pipe when (say) feeding cables through a wall to stop them rubbing against brickwork.

For electrical work it's rare to use larger than 25mm conduit, either plastic or metal. 38mm is available. If you need something bigger then use plastic or metal trunking. Flexible conduit is available in larger sizes, often for underground use. But you wouldn't be allowed to use single insulated cables in that application.

Edited by at9

My earlier comments were relating to essentially UK domestic applications.   As at9 says, larger conduit is available and there is a wide range of trunking (mostly square/rectangular) available.

The uPVC electrical conduit can be bent, using a bending machine or an internal spring (as with copper plumbing pipe) but is more often solvent-joined with elbows, although larger radious pre-formed bends are available.   The galvanised steel conduit that is widely used in more challenging locations is certainly formed or bent using heavier equipment, and of course screwed likewise.

Although, in domestic situations at least, ordinary insulated and sheathed cable can be run outside (say to supply a shed/garage) in uPVC or metal trunking - fixed above ground in a suitably protected location - it is preferable to use an SWA (stranded wire armoured) cable, with suitable glands each end; the cable is often buried.   The steel wire armouring can be used as the earth (ground), so avoiding need of a third copper conductor.   I assume similar in the US.

I figured what you were referring to is residential. Because when your wires are this big, you need bigger conduit! We always use a dedicated ground wire, regardless of whether the raceway is plastic or metal. I think it's Code now. It didn't used to be.

BiggerConduit.jpg

Saw this thread and found it interesting. Did a project in Yuma at our winter home by putting an outlet along a brick wall and didn't have the needed 3/4" grey electrical conduit. I remembered something an electrician told me a few years back and simply grabbed a section of white irrigation pvc and painted it grey. It comes up from the ground into a metal box and looks authentic. It was a quick workaround. HinH

• Like 1

Protection js protection, PVC is PVC so just use whatever as long as you mark the pipe so the next guy knows what you did.

Most U.S. states require a "certified" electrician to do all work. Melrose does high end jobs but most house wiring is super simple. It's the old, bull shit, union rules that got legislated in that you need to be aware of. I have rewired multiple homes (not 100% just sections), as long as it isn't overly obvious most home inspectors will never know the difference. Most of those guys are failed contractors who weaseled there way into a well paying position requiring no actual output.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Protection js protection, PVC is PVC so just use whatever as long as you mark the pipe so the next guy knows what you did.

Most U.S. states require a "certified" electrician to do all work. Melrose does high end jobs but most house wiring is super simple. It's the old, bull shit, union rules that got legislated in that you need to be aware of. I have rewired multiple homes (not 100% just sections), as long as it isn't overly obvious most home inspectors will never know the difference. Most of those guys are failed contractors who weaseled there way into a well paying position requiring no actual output.

The English situation (since 2005) is that most domestic electrical work is supposed to be carried out by a qualified electrician, who will then notify the local authority of its satisfactory completion for recording under Part P of the Building Regulations.   There are a number of exceptions, e.g. like-for-like replacement of defective fittings and simple extensions of an existing circuit, which do not require 'professional' action or notification.   But e.g. adding a new circuit or replacing a consumer unit ('fuseboard') are notifiable.   In practice, much can be done without a 'professional' as detection is unlikely, and will only then possibly cause a problem - assuming it has not been carried out dangerously! - upon formal inspection at the time of a property sale.   And anything started before 2005 can be finished ...   (Some houseowners are slow workers!).

I rebuilt a derelict property over four years and did all the electrical work myself, other than the initial connection of the consumer unit to the incoming mains, which requires a sealed fuse to be tampered with.   As the entire property refurbishment was subject to Building Regulations, I had to get the electrics signed-off and some electricians are authorised to do 'third party' inspections and certifications.   I found one and he did the necessary and was complimentary about my standard of work and adherence to the (progressively more stringent) regulations.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's church OOTW. I actually bought something from Poshmark that was designated as a "men's" item, this BCBG tie. One of my fashionista friends called it a "fun tie." In practically the same breath she said, "I'm still amazed that you are comfortable in such high heels," referring to my Miu Miu patent tan sandals. It's not always true, but for some reason, Miu Miu fits me well, and I don't find the 4 1/2" steepness to be bothersome at all. It's too bad that Miu Mius are usually prohibitively expensive, and most of them are hideous.

MiuMiuNude1.jpg

MiuMiuNude3.jpg

• Like 6

Speaking of things I haven't done in a while, I have not posted any farmer's market pictures in some time. This is probably because they are so lame, and there's little interest there, especially if I do it every week. However, it's been very sparse over the past few months, and the season is rapidly drawing to a close.

I always bring backup shoes. The only time I've ever had to actually use them in the last 3 years is because of mechanical shoe failure with my high shoes. At any rate, I have ventured a bit higher with shoe steepness as the summer has worn on, and I rarely wear my Söfft low heels these days. A lower shoe now would be like the Nine West "Potporri" pictured in the bathroom mirror. Those are probably effectively 3 3/4 or 3 7/8", something like that. I don't seem to have any problem wearing 4 inch heels for the entire night, which is somewhat satisfying. I never got to that point last year.

Also included is a recent, as in yesterday, photo of the tent/booth.

FM2023NineWestPotporri.jpg

FM2023Tent.jpg

• Like 2

Nice booth!!! I like the sound of your farmers market.

Most of my boots are three inch heels which are extremely comfortable for me - in terms of walking I barely notice them. I like the lines of four and five inch heels - and have a couple of pair at those heights but don’t wear them often enough to feel at home in them

And now, for something completely different! The boy and I just bought THIS, a Gretsch hollow body bass. He has needed his own instrument for a while, and he found one that sounds COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the Fender Jazz bass I've owned for 30+ years. And it looks pretty cool, too.

MickeyGretsch.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

And now, for something completely different! The boy and I just bought THIS, a Gretsch hollow body bass. He has needed his own instrument for a while, and he found one that sounds COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the Fender Jazz bass I've owned for 30+ years. And it looks pretty cool, too.

MickeyGretsch.jpg

that thing looks huge!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mr. X said:

that thing looks huge!

If you're comparing it to a guitar, yes it does seem rather large. I know what my son would say, probably without missing a beat. "Yeah, I'm just compensating, you know."

6 hours ago, Cali said:

He'll grow into it.

I won't. He's already past me by an inch. Without heels, that is.

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1

Both are really nice, I like the mule styles.   But if I had to choose, I would got for the sandals in pic #2 (the one with you wearing shorts).  sf

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

This week's church outfit is almost a repeat from about two months ago, but it's not an exact repeat--the shirt is different. I wanted to wear my red patent Via Spiga sandals again, and these red items of other clothing were readily available. My wardrobe is still in a state of chaos from our plumbing/sewer issues, and I don't want to move everything back until I am 100% sure that the problems are really gone.

I also had to go back and review my previous post to make sure I wasn't about to repeat myself about these shoes. Although they are eye-catching and reasonably comfortable, they still have the one spot where they rub the side of my little toe. The odd thing about this particular situation is that if I'm going to have a problem with an uncomfortable little toe, it's always on the right foot. Without fail. Except for this pair of shoes. These rub my left toe.

I got about 1/3 of the way through the service and found myself trapped on the wrong side of the chancel area (front of the sanctuary) right as the sermon had begun. Back in the old days, before livestreaming, before Covid, I would have just walked across the front of the church and nobody would have paid me much heed. Now that we're always on camera in some form or other, actions like this look really distracting in a way that you don't really notice when you're actually there in person. So I snuck out the sacristy door, went outside, walked around to another door, went down to the basement, walked underneath the sanctuary, back up a different set of stairs into the opposite side sacristy, and was able to get to my designated spot unnoticed by any camera.

The whole point of this rather long and boring story is that during all of this walking, the left shoe started digging into my little toe--hard. Much as I was trying to ignore it, it was beginning to affect my gait and posture. What I wound up doing was tearing off a little bit of facial tissue, or Kleenex as we like to call it here in the U.S., wadding it up into a little ball, and stuffing it into the offending area. Problem solved, and it's not in any way visible or noticeable. From now on when I wear these shoes, I'm going to do that prophylactically, and I almost guarantee you I won't have a bit of a problem. If only everything in life were that simple.

Yes, I left my equipment bucket sitting right there in the middle for the opening prelude. It's things like that that you never notice until you see it immortalized on the internet forever and ever, amen.

RedOutfitViaSpiga2.jpg

RedOutfit2Church.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 6

On 9/26/2023 at 10:58 AM, mlroseplant said:

This week's church outfit is almost a repeat from about two months ago, but it's not an exact repeat--the shirt is different. I wanted to wear my red patent Via Spiga sandals again, and these red items of other clothing were readily available.

12 hours ago, ohnoberty said:

Apart from good story, I cannot applaud you enough on your strength and conviction in being able to be this open and direct. I wish I had this level of convistion too. 👏

I can't recall you ever commenting specifically on the reaction you get, or have had, from your church congregation (whom I assume are nearly all 'regulars') to your 'unconventional' footwear.   I'm sure they are (almost) all decent and polite people and probably would not be critical or worse, at least to your face, and of course they are by now well-used to seeing you thus shod.   But surely there were some raised eyebrows and questions, at least 'in the beginning' (as the good book puts it)?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

I can't recall you ever commenting specifically on the reaction you get, or have had, from your church congregation (whom I assume are nearly all 'regulars') to your 'unconventional' footwear.   I'm sure they are (almost) all decent and polite people and probably would not be critical or worse, at least to your face, and of course they are by now well-used to seeing you thus shod.   But surely there were some raised eyebrows and questions, at least 'in the beginning' (as the good book puts it)?

I'll answer for him. After a while people expect to see you in heels. It's never really an issue simply because if you are you, you rapidly become accepted. I'm wearing 5 inch spike stilettos at work. I'm respected as an engineer, been promoted twice and earn 20k more per year since I've started wearing heels at work.

Get comfortable and just be yourself. 

• Like 3

I had a pair of older heels brake when I got out of the car at work two weeks ago.  I had to wear my running shoes.  I got so many questions of "are you all right?" "Why no heels?". It like I am expected to be in heels.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Puffer said:

Oddly enough, this topic just came up a few days ago with some congregants, and to my knowledge or theirs, no one has ever said anything bad about my shoes. This is at once surprising, and yet not surprising. Those who would have objected did not ever do so out loud, and they are now no longer with us, via the fairly recent schism in the (no longer) United Methodist Church. Besides, I took my approach very gradually, as I did when learning to wear heels. I started out with heeled oxfords and a suit every Sunday, which you wouldn't really notice anyway except for a slightly higher than normal heel. Then I went to 3 inch block heels, and so on and so forth.

The only people I ever recall who said anything are some older ladies who were always interested to see what I was wearing this week. I made it a point not to repeat very often just for these ladies. I don't believe any of them are still with us, due to natural, non-political reasons.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Cali said:

I had a pair of older heels brake when I got out of the car at work two weeks ago.  I had to wear my running shoes.  I got so many questions of "are you all right?" "Why no heels?". It like I am expected to be in heels.

If the car was still moving when you alighted, I imagine your older shoes did have to brake.   Have the running shoes got brakes too - 'brake shoes'?   

I imagine the running shoes are for a Fred Flintstone type situation. More surface to surface contact.

I am thinking we won't hear from Cali for at least a couple of days. He's bound to be completely fried from sitting in a metal tube for 16 hours or so, traveling to Oz. I know I would be.