The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

Sometimes, you have one of those mornings when everything comes together. Sunday morning was not that morning. I had an idea of what I wanted to wear, and it centered around the shoes, but I didn't decide until the last minute exactly what those were going to be. I settled on my Steve Madden "Daisie" pumps in tan patent. These are the shorter of the two Daisies at 4 3/8", and also the tighter. Although I bought them on Poshmark, they were brand new in the box, and were almost impossible to get on when I first got them. I figured I'd better wear them some, get them stretched out a little bit and assess their true utility. I'll skip to the end on that part--they're fine. They are a little snug, but not in a horrible, debilitating way. After three hours, more than 50% of that standing, they were still fine. In fact, rather better in places.

The basic problem with me wearing lighter colored shoes is that I don't really have any lighter colored suits to go with them. Actually, I do, but I didn't want to wear those on this particular week for tailoring reasons I won't get into now. So I began to think of all the chicks I've seen get away with a dark colored outfit and light colored shoes, and I thought I could pull it off.

To make a long story short, several changes of clothes later, this is what I ended up with--NOT how I had envisaged this at all. By this time it was too late to change any more, so I had to go with it. I snapped a mirror selfie (yes, that mirror needs to be cleaned) and sent it off to my fashion advisor/friend up in Minneapolis, basically saying, "Oh well, here we go, just as I am without one plea!" However, much to my surprise, I received several compliments on my outfit over the course of the morning, shown here in reasonable detail in a picture with my sis, who was visiting this weekend from a long way away.

SMDaisieTanJacketSelf.jpg

SMDaisieTanJacketSis.JPG

• Like 5

That's a good look. I've been mismatching shoe color for yrs in much greater levels than you show here. It's actually well received.

Your sister is taller than you with less heel. 

Must have been your parents children were limited to just so many total inches and there wasn't enough for you. 🙂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, spikesmike said:

JKrenzer: mlroseplant got lucky. Being shorter gave him an excuse to wear high heels. Also, if his feet are smaller than his sisters feet -- good, no theft.  Mike

Yah, kinda lucky. I'm only 5 10 so I'm fine at any heel height too. Just hard to wash the top of vehicles, heels help that cause too.

48 minutes ago, Jkrenzer said:

Yah, kinda lucky. I'm only 5 10 so I'm fine at any heel height too. Just hard to wash the top of vehicles, heels help that cause too.

Also cleaning the top of your refrigerator and reaching the top shelf in your kitchen cabinates.

22 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

That's a good look. I've been mismatching shoe color for yrs in much greater levels than you show here. It's actually well received.

Your sister is taller than you with less heel. 

Must have been your parents children were limited to just so many total inches and there wasn't enough for you. 🙂

I wasn't so much thinking of mismatched shoe color, it was more of everything else. You see, I had originally intended to wear a black jacket. I tried on two different black jackets, and it turns out that both of them are missing buttons. Curses! The only other possibility to my mind, without changing everything, was this tan jacket, which sort of matched my shoes. However, it has a houndstooth pattern, and I was wearing a shirt with a bit of a stripe in it. Not to mention the purple tie (proper liturgical color for Lent).

My sister and I would be the same height, but for the fact that she's got twice the usual amount of neck!

Well done. My basement is cluttered too.

I've never done a YouTube video, maybe someday. Hope you do more with your shoes. I looked through your main YouTube video posts, didn't see this one in there. Does YouTube take a while to open them up for general viewing if one doesn't have a direct link?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Well done. My basement is cluttered too.

I've never done a YouTube video, maybe someday. Hope you do more with your shoes. I looked through your main YouTube video posts, didn't see this one in there. Does YouTube take a while to open them up for general viewing if one doesn't have a direct link?

I've got this video "unlisted," as I was merely using Youtube as a convenient way to share it with y'all. Let's face it, Youtube is a cruel, cruel place. I don't need that kind of abuse.

18 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Glad I found your youtube channel!  Love those lawnboys and that cool international truck

Alas, the International has not been with us for over 10 years. However, the Lawn Boy collection still is. As my son has taken it over, it has become populated with much older mowers in general. As you can see, it has been a long, long time since I made any videos of any sort.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is already the last day of March, and I am happy to report that my goal of walking an average of 20 miles or 32 km per month, along with some other lifestyle changes, has resulted in some significant improvement in my physical self. An unintended benefit of this is that I can now fit into pants that I should have given away a long time ago, while still being able to keep everything from before--they just aren't quite as sausage casing-like. It may not seem like much distance to some, but it's evidently doing something! For reference, after one quarter of a year, so far I have walked more total distance in 2023 than I did for each of the entire years of 2017-18-19. Also, I have walked a major fraction of what I did in 2020-21-22.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about high heel walking. I don't do flattie walking on purpose, and even if I occasionally do, I certainly don't record it.

• Like 2

I need to find more motivation to get out - cycling, walking, going to the gym have all fallen off dramatically since I had Covid last year. Really having a time regaining the energy. I’m hoping spring will be more a time if renewal!

• Like 1

I was hoping to post a picture of my new JS sandals, but they where too big. So back they went, and hope the lower size fits.

I've been wearing knee high boots this year and the many "nice boots" I've gotten just isn't worth a post.

I’ve got a really nice new pair of knee boots - bit they have sturdy soles and low heels for the off-grid lifestyle I’ll soon be adapting and so don’t really fit the category of “high heels”. Lovely knee boots though…

• Like 1

Evidently, I'm getting a pair of thigh boots soon. It's a rather long story as to why, but I guess they will show up on my doorstep any day now, just in time for spring. :penitent: I will let you know how that turns out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Evidently, I'm getting a pair of thigh boots soon. It's a rather long story as to why, but I guess they will show up on my doorstep any day now, just in time for spring. :penitent: I will let you know how that turns out.

Intriguing. I’m trying to picture you stepping so far out of your usual style and I’m not coming up with much. I’m interested to hear the long story and to see the particular style of thigh boots you’re adopting

• Like 1

Goodness, we've had a wild weather swing over the past two days! On Friday and the previous few days, temperatures flirted with 30º (mid 80s Fahrenheit), but this Sunday morning, it is 0º (32F) and snowing. This is hard on people and equipment. At least there has been no actual violence in the weather, at least not in our local area.

I have no idea what is REALLY going on here, but I do know that if things don't pick up rather soon, it WILL be the death of this place. Even I am getting bored of it lately. Part of the problem is that I just don't have a lot of stories to tell. It has been kind of quiet being a guy in heels around here.

That being said, I was accosted twice in the last week, once positively, and once.  .  . errrrr.   .   . probably negatively, but it's unclear. The positive experience happened just yesterday, in which I was grocery shopping, and a woman approached me and wanted to know where I had gotten my shoes. Once again, I have to admit that I don't have a good picture of these shoes, my most worn pair to date, but I had to explain to this lady that I have had these shoes for over 10 years, and that they really weren't available anymore. Her stare and her questioning was quite disarming, and as we met again several times in the next few aisles I pretended not to see her. Yeah, that's right people--I wear my shoes for the attention.

My other experience in the past week I'm going to assume was negative. I happened to be in--wait for it--a grocery store at the time, and I was approached by an older man wearing bib overalls. I have to be careful when I describe somebody that way, because that could be me. At any rate, I had my face buried in my grocery list, which I make randomly, and has no relation to the layout of the actual supermarket, and this guy, without any introduction, asked me whether my shoes were comfortable. In the context at that moment, it seemed like the question was derisive, but I will never know for sure. Without looking up from my list, I told him that they were not really all that bad, which is true. He evidently did not want to engage me much, as he muttered something and walked away, never to be seen again. Once again, I do not have a good picture of me wearing what I was wearing, so I'll have to recycle a lame picture, but I wear these out and about quite often in the winter.

The first picture is of the shoes from the positive but creepy comment, and the second picture is of the shoes associated with the assumed negative comment. Again, these pictures are recycled. I'm not still wearing a mask out in public.

Sizzle110mi.thumb.jpg.88a0188ce69bec7214bcd937916ece95.jpgcomplimentbcbg.thumb.jpg.ad7108aa63a3fb40f53c6c972fab9a45.jpg

• Like 3

Both very odd interactions.

I certainly know what you mean about this place becoming a ghost forum. It has had its ups and downs, but this is awfully quiet and, as you say, awfully dull. It reminds me of the Heels 4 Men forum in its last days before it pretty much died altogether - nobody has posted there now in well over a year.

it’s kind of a downward spiral - one hesitates to invest the time and energy to post because there is so little interaction, and yet by not posting the place just becomes even more silent.

There really is, or could be, lots to say about the culture of high heels - the history, hypocrisy, the changing fashions, stereotypes, taboos, a whole range of social and cultural topics. But there is also a sense that if one went to the trouble to create a discussion-starting post the discussion would be along the lines of - yeah, true. Or, nah. And that would be that.

I really don’t know how one generates meaningful activity here. There are virtually no women posters at all and only a handful of active male posters. It’s a shame because this could be so much better than it is

I'm not too sure the second comment was derisive, at least not how you described it. It's possible he was muttering because you semi-dismissed him by not looking at him when answering. 

What seemed creepy about the lady's questioning?