The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

23 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Not any of us doubted you did.

How long will the remodel take?

We resume services in the sanctuary on November 27. The work may be done quite a bit before that, but it has been decided that that is the date!

On 10/27/2022 at 6:28 AM, mlroseplant said:

They are essentially the same sandal as the gray ones pictured above, with a few minor variations, Michael Kors "Oksana" is the name of the tan ones.

MKOksanaCompare.thumb.jpg.053320aa20bf6c757c3c82f50d9d476d.jpg

The basic problem with both of these is that, despite their robust appearance, they are not very sturdy shoes. And I only weigh a buck-and-a-third. (That's 9 1/2 stone or 61 kg)

Oksana  heels where you purchase from?

give me more heels

I agree I don't think anyone seriously doubted you wore heels to church. It's just not the first place anyone would think with avant-garde fashion choices on men. I can attest he proudly wears heels in his small town and is as normal a sight there as an Iowa corn field. He also became a fan a wedges like me which proves he's got avant-garde taste indeed. 🙂HinH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mickeyunc said:

Oksana  heels where you purchase from?

Heavens, I bought those things years ago, according to my sketchy records and more sketchy memory, in 2016. It was an ebay purchase, I am almost certain. It was my second pair of Oksanas, the first one being black. I threw the black ones out because of shank fatigue. They squeaked badly when you walked, and I know it was from one of the metal shanks moving around inside the shoe. Neither of these pair is much better. No squeaking, but there is significant heel flex, and it's not loose heels, it's because the whole shoe is too flexible to properly support such high heels. Cool looking, but I cannot recommend them for purchase. Not if you actually want to wear them.

I realize that as winter is getting closer in the northern hemisphere, pictures from me will become less frequent, unless I come up with a way to compensate. I know I used to take a lot of pictures in front of a mirror in the dining room, but to call those substandard is an understatement. The main obstacle in the months to come is that the sun sets so early, so any evening activities will take place after dark. Unless my wife suddenly decides that she wants to start taking pictures of me that feature my shoes (typically she cuts my shoes out of the picture on purpose), there will likely be fewer pictures to share in the near future.

I went to Walgreen's to get a passport style photo taken. The young lady who helped me seemed not to notice my shoes, or pretended not to, but about 3/4 of the way through our interaction, she said, "I just don't understand how you can wear those shoes. I wish I could." I was wearing some open toed mules that I don't believe I've posted on here yet, but they are basically in the Candies style--single wide band of leather across the toes, wooden platform and heel. They are not super high. My brain thinks of them as mid heels, but with the platform they are high enough that most people would seem them as high heels. 4 1/4" tapered heel, 3/4" platform, if you must know.

The young clerk showed me her shoes, which were a heavy loafer style shoe with about a 2 inch chunky heel. She said that was about as high as she could go without severe pain, and she felt like she needed to wear even that much of a heel because she was five-foot-nothing without them. I never know what to say in situations like that, because it's difficult to discern whether the questioner really wants to know the answer to their so-called question. Since there were no other customers around, I took the time to explain that I started off about 10 years ago in short heels and gradually worked my way up. I pointed out to her that a gymnast does not start off by attempting to do a handstand on the balance beam, you have to work your way up to these things.

She said, "I hadn't really thought about it like that, and you're right!" It was then time for me to leave and go about my business, so I bid her a good night. I do not know whether this was worth reporting, but it was mildly amusing.

• Like 4

I think it us easy for people to overlook the fact that walking well in heels, or even wearing them comfortably, takes practice, perseverance and well fitting shoes. It’s not the same as putting on a pair of trainers and walking away

• Like 2

It's sad that fit and comfort are secondary issues that make people forget.  They end up with heels that look in the closet and they say they can't wear heels. I am often asked how I can wear heels all the time, "don't your feet hurt?"

I tell them that fit and comfort are the most important things, and of course I must like their style just to take a look at them. If they don't fit why buy them, why keep them?  Then I tell them the most important thing a women told me when I got my first heels over 2.5 inches: "Life's too short for heels that hurt."  What a novel concept!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really need to take some pictures, but I haven't really felt like it lately. So I have to tell you the story in words only.

Our church sanctuary remodel is finished, and we had a rededication ceremony yesterday. It was a bit of a special deal, being both right after Thanksgiving holiday, and also being the first Sunday in Advent. To make a long story short, I had to wear a few more hats yesterday than what I normally do in a church service. I showed up about two hours early to set up my rig and get my bearings in my new environment. I decided to wear some new Steve Madden black patent leather pumps because I thought they looked really sharp. After a short sound check/rehearsal with both bands and the choir, I had to run home real quick to pick up my son before the service actually started.

I actually wimped out and changed my shoes. I shouldn't have been wearing those shoes in the first place, as they had not been properly vetted, but I have that model in other colors, and normally it's no problem. But I decided that I had a lot of running around to do, a lot of things to worry about that I don't normally worry about, AND, maybe most importantly, I am much more visible in the livestream than I used to be, and I didn't particularly want to look like an idiot. Finally, I said to myself, you've got enough things to worry about today without thinking about your stupid shoes.

I changed into some Via Spiga suede and patent leather below-the-ankle booties which had a steepness factor one whole inch lower than the Steve Madden pumps, and I did not regret it. I did not even think about my shoes until the service was over and we were all having coffee and doughnuts.

• Like 4

I'm guessing that these mules would be something you would wear, melrose.   Size UK8; narrow 4" wedge heel; almond (pale cream) colour:

2070802416_Linzyalmond.thumb.jpg.4d67381befaf6d4296207402a68111b3.jpg

I spotted these during a shopping trip yesterday, reduced from £30 to £5 in 'Linzi'.   I HOPE my wife will wear them, although she will probably find an excuse not to.   But, for £5, worth a punt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

You 'liked' my post, melrose, but would you wear those sandals I pictured?   Just curious, knowing your tastes.

Enquiring minds want to know? In theory, and in general, you are quite correct. However, in actual practice in December of 2022, I would not purchase that particular pair, even at 5 quid. Though it is not too squared off, I find the square-ish toe objectionable. Also, as I hope to document soon and share with the group, I have way too many shoes already. Five years ago, I might have actually paid money for such a thing, but not today.

On edit: I just noticed that I did not actually answer the question. Sure, I'd wear them, though I'm still not sure about that square toe. Also, from experience, I think they would be rather better if they had a piece that went between the first two toes.

Edited by mlroseplant

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

... Sure, I'd wear them, though I'm still not sure about that square toe. Also, from experience, I think they would be rather better if they had a piece that went between the first two toes.

Thanks.   I rather agree about the squareish toe, and can understand a preference for a toe-post.   In fact, my wife has a pair of toe-post strappy wedges that I admire and I think you would approve of.   If I can locate them, I will provide a pic for your delectation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Puffer said:

Thanks.   I rather agree about the squareish toe, and can understand a preference for a toe-post.   In fact, my wife has a pair of toe-post strappy wedges that I admire and I think you would approve of.   If I can locate them, I will provide a pic for your delectation.

Or, if not, that's perfectly fine too. Though I am now curious about your wife's wedges. I thought she didn't do the high heel thing anymore?

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Or, if not, that's perfectly fine too. Though I am now curious about your wife's wedges. I thought she didn't do the high heel thing anymore?

My wife professes to now dislike high heels, partly for (alleged) reasons of comfort but more, alas, because she considers them inappropriate stylistically.   She is scathing about my liking for heels as an admirer and, equally, whenever I wear even my modest cuban heeled boots, which she considers ridiculous for someone 'of my age' etc.   She does occasionally wear a modest heel (especially on sandals or ankle boots) and used to like the wedge sandals in question, but they have not appeared for some time.   I quite expect her to roundly reject the new sandals, but I can only try.   (If I disappear after Christmas Day, you will know why!)

6 hours ago, Cali said:

We'll contact the authorities in Kent for you.

Thank you!   But do be careful if asking for 'the Chief Constable of Kent'.   It is all too easy to spoonerise the second and fourth words and get into a spot of bother.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Puffer said:

My wife professes to now dislike high heels, partly for (alleged) reasons of comfort but more, alas, because she considers them inappropriate stylistically.   She is scathing about my liking for heels as an admirer and, equally, whenever I wear even my modest cuban heeled boots, which she considers ridiculous for someone 'of my age' etc.   She does occasionally wear a modest heel (especially on sandals or ankle boots) and used to like the wedge sandals in question, but they have not appeared for some time.   I quite expect her to roundly reject the new sandals, but I can only try.   (If I disappear after Christmas Day, you will know why!)

I get the same sort of feedback from my wife. She usually uses a phrase something close to, "Look very funny!" Imagine that phrase spoken with a heavy Vietnamese accent, and you've about visited my house. On the other hand, she usually follows this up with something like, "But whatever, you do what you want."

In other news, amongst the young people here in my locality, the high heel is not dead, but it's not particularly healthy, either. At a 7th and 8th grade band concert last night, I counted approximately half a dozen real heels, and probably a couple of dozen short heels. This is out of maybe 100 girls. Zero boys wore heels. Out of the "real" heels, which for the purposes of this discussion means 3 inch or above, there was only one pair of proper pumps worn with a conservative, if shortish, black dress (the kids were told to wear black and white if possible). The rest of the "real" heels were either block heels or wedges, and mostly booties, which makes some sense at this time of year. There were zero "real" heels as defined in my personal world, not even close.

Edited by mlroseplant

18 hours ago, Cali said:

What about the parents?  I know at least one had real heels.

The parents are a little tougher to gauge. The kids are up on a stage, and walk by on the way to their proper seats in a long line, so you get a chance to see what each student has on their feet, at least for a few seconds. With the audience, you may only see a small percentage of lower extremities, so no, I didn't see any real heels on the parents. Ankle boots with 1 1/2 to 2 inch block heels do seem to be popular among the Mom crowd this year, though.

I went Old School this week, at least for me. Just a simple black suit and tie with plain black pumps. The coat is slightly more interesting, evidently. I did get a couple of compliments on the coat.

As I mentioned before, I'm feeling weary these days, so I chose some shoes I thought would be easy on me. These Cole Haan pumps are pretty easy to get along with, if less than exciting. It was when I went to face my Wall of Shoes on Sunday morning, I realized that I do not own any enclosed shoes that are lower than 4 inches, and precious few that even have a steepness of less than that. Sometimes a fellow would like a nice pair of oxfords or loafers with a 3 inch block heel, just for such occasions. However, I can't seem to bring myself to spend money on a dressy shoe with such a low heel.

Two more things: First, somehow these shoes got missed when I got them, so I'm going to post them over in the "New Shoes" thread, even though I've had them for a while. Second, I just completed a shoe inventory. I just need to compile some stats, and I'll post the results soon!

ColeHaanPumpBlkSuit.jpg

• Like 5

For some reason, I went and bought a ton of mid and low heeled sandals last year, which I actually wear pretty often. However, this lapse in judgment did not extend to my dressier, enclosed shoe collection. My only non-high heeled closed toe shoes are my Dansko wedge clogs, which have a tad over 3 inch heels, but you would never wear those except in the most casual situations.

The reason why I bought all of these lower heeled sandals is because I bought the first pair specifically for my wife's farmer's market venue that is not on pavement. They were actually pretty cute, and they worked out great. So me being me, I bought several pairs in the same general style, and now I really have too many. But you wouldn't know a thing about that, would you @Jkrenzer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2