The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

17 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

for sure no much activity going on here lately! 

On my side I am still wearing heels ( nearly) everyday. Still traveling in heels. Doing my own stuff! 

I would post much more often if my pics were not always rejected as too heavy. Even if I reduce the resolution and the size. Any tip?i notice some members are posting nice pictures. I am using an IPhone. 

No matter if it makes me feel a moron 

My wife also refers to large file size photos as being "heavy." It's quite charming!

I do the same thing that Krenzer does. I email the photo to myself, and it gives me a choice of file size. In this way, I am able to get it under the limit easily without having to worry about any editing, and there is very little reduction in quality, at least for the purposes of viewing on a normal computer screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What is "paint?"  Some type of computer program??  I'm sure you are not referring to the stuff you apply to walls.  Like I said, low tech guy in a high tech world.  Smile....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

mlroseplant : You have posed in front of your garage door in previous photos . Not a reflection from a mirror. So, Do you use a camera on a tri-pod, or doe's a family member take your photos ?                                                                                                           Keep your heels and standerds high.       Mike

Heavy is a direct , literal translation from French. We use that world” lourd “ if many pixels for a better resolution. I don’t know the proper English world. 

I tried to download Paint. But it seems that Microsoft and Apple are not a good match. 

Here is an attempt with the maximum pixel reduction. I may try with a little less 

3FFF90A2-8F8A-4694-B9B8-E8D2855C764C.jpeg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, spikesmike said:

mlroseplant : You have posed in front of your garage door in previous photos . Not a reflection from a mirror. So, Do you use a camera on a tri-pod, or doe's a family member take your photos ?                                                                                                           Keep your heels and standerds high.       Mike

Mike, I use a tripod with a phone holder attached to it. I no longer own a traditional camera. If I could stop buying shoes and musical instruments, I could probably afford a decent camera again. The phone holder came with a Bluetooth remote control, which tells the phone to "take" the picture. This has been handier than I thought at first.

Side note: I either need to fix that truck or junk it.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 11:26 PM, Pierre1961 said:

Heavy is a direct , literal translation from French. We use that world” lourd “ if many pixels for a better resolution. I don’t know the proper English world. 

I tried to download Paint. But it seems that Microsoft and Apple are not a good match. 

Here is an attempt with the maximum pixel reduction. I may try with a little less 

3FFF90A2-8F8A-4694-B9B8-E8D2855C764C.jpeg

You may want to try multiple (sequential) applications of this process.  Try looking for a photo app that uses the word "Canvas" and scale it with that program.  I don't have Apple any more.  Years ago my publishers forced me (paid me) to use a platform that was not compatible with Apple.

• Thanks 1

I write science textbooks among other things. I use a very special software that can handle very complicated symbols.  It then can be translated in LATEX if need be. But LATEX is too unstable for what I write.

There isn't a large enough market for them to create an Apple version.

And I write for multiple publishers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I write and shoot for magazines and have done for 35 years. Apple is universal in my world. 

That makes you sound like William Tell!   But Cali, lacking an Apple, is not Isaac Newton.

Best choice or not, I have been an Apple Guy since the IIe, and that's been a while ago. I did stray from the herd for a short period, but you can hardly blame me, given the times. When I did stray, what I wound up with was a Windows '98 Box. That was not a good experience, either.

On the other hand, it was on that Windows 98 machine that I discovered Jenny's High Stiletto Heels website (on dial-up modem), and well.  .  . here I am today! I could not have predicted at the time that I would graduate from a high heel admirer into a high heel wearer.

If you want to get an Apple but need to run Windows stuff that what Parallels and/or virtual machines are for.

If you run Linux (just about any variety) then a lot of Windows software will run using WINE. Otherwise a virtual machine. I've certainly run XP under Linux Mint using VIrtualbox. For that matter I've run XP under later versions of Windows when I 've had to use software that won't work on W7 or later.

The performance hit for using a VM on modern hardware is minimal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, at9 said:

If you want to get an Apple but need to run Windows stuff that what Parallels and/or virtual machines are for.

If you run Linux (just about any variety) then a lot of Windows software will run using WINE. Otherwise a virtual machine. I've certainly run XP under Linux Mint using VIrtualbox. For that matter I've run XP under later versions of Windows when I 've had to use software that won't work on W7 or later.

The performance hit for using a VM on modern hardware is minimal.

It's funny to talk amongst ourselves like this, because our talents are so varied. When I turn on my computer, I just want the damn thing to work. I really don't know that much about it, in the same way that many people view cars. I personally drive old, crappy cars, so that I am free to spend my money on other things, like shoes! I can fix the cars when they break, but I can't tell you much about computer problems.

20 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

It's funny to talk amongst ourselves like this, because our talents are so varied. When I turn on my computer, I just want the damn thing to work. I really don't know that much about it, in the same way that many people view cars. I personally drive old, crappy cars, so that I am free to spend my money on other things, like shoes! I can fix the cars when they break, but I can't tell you much about computer problems.

I quite agree!   I find any detailed understanding or management of most computery a challenge, and one that regularly defeats me.   That is why I produced two sons who are skilled in such matters and invariably sort out the old man's problems for him.   In return, I spend many hours renovating and improving their properties.   Horses for courses ...

I would much prefer not to muck about with computers. Most of the time all I need is a web browser and office stuff. Unfortunately I've had to learn far too much in order to support my own work requirements. Being self employed I either have to pay somebody to help or do it myself. I'd rather rely on my own efforts.

• Like 1

As far as my prose output goes my MacBook is pretty much a glorified typewriter, but photo editing is another matter. Although I am no computer geek I have to have a general proficiency in Photoshop and Lightroom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

As far as my prose output goes my MacBook is pretty much a glorified typewriter, but photo editing is another matter. Although I am no computer geek I have to have a general proficiency in Photoshop and Lightroom

Interestingly enough, my 22 year old son has gone the opposite direction in his interests, and has discovered actual film! Obviously, he doesn't make a living at it, but I thought you might get a kick out the following picture. He's taken it THAT far. He's drinking the hard stuff now.

BronicaMax.jpg

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

I quite agree!   I find any detailed understanding or management of most computery a challenge, and one that regularly defeats me.   That is why I produced two sons who are skilled in such matters and invariably sort out the old man's problems for him.   In return, I spend many hours renovating and improving their properties.   Horses for courses ...

I made an impromptu deal with my older son last week. I would do his tax return (it is THAT time in the U.S. of A.), if I didn't have to deal with any of the computer stuff. Tax returns do not scare me for some reason. OK, I used to be a tax preparer 20-some-odd-years ago, of course, they don't scare me. I told him very calmly in advance, if this blankety-blank computer will not print out this tax return when I am done with it, I will throw the thing out the window. He took care of everything from that point on.

I’m old enough that I learned on film and loved the hours I used to spend in the darkroom. I also went for medium format - a Mamiya 67 and a Pentax. Having said that there is no way I’d go back to film. I know it is now sort of retro-chic, especially with millennials, but digital has far outstripped film. I’ve a full frame DSLR with which I can shoot useable fine grained images at ISO 3200 with no trouble at all - something that is utterly impossible with film. And with instant results you can see where you are, in real time, in the field. And the resolution is better as well. No comparison.

I know some people like to think the colours are better or more interesting in film, but there again with Lightroom or post processing software from DXO you can mimic the effect of any film type imaginable.

I am glad I learned on film and as I say I loved the time I spent in the darkroom but I am quite happily digital now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I’m old enough that I learned on film and loved the hours I used to spend in the darkroom. I also went for medium format - a Mamiya 67 and a Pentax. Having said that there is no way I’d go back to film. I know it is now sort of retro-chic, especially with millennials, but digital has far outstripped film. I’ve a full frame DSLR with which I can shoot useable fine grained images at ISO 3200 with no trouble at all - something that is utterly impossible with film. And with instant results you can see where you are, in real time, in the field. And the resolution is better as well. No comparison.

I know some people like to think the colours are better or more interesting in film, but there again with Lightroom or post processing software from DXO you can mimic the effect of any film type imaginable.

I am glad I learned on film and as I say I loved the time I spent in the darkroom but I am quite happily digital now.

Yes, you pretty much have him pegged there, but I don't know, there's a thousand other worse things he could be doing than spending his time and money on film photography.

In reply to the second bolded sentence, I suppose it's no different than the black box you can now buy which can basically emulate ANY guitar amp ever made, and do so convincingly. It's becoming more and more difficult to justify spending a lot of money on a traditional guitar amp these days.

I am happy to report that on my monthly to bi-monthly trip to Costco, I saw not one, not two, but THREE other people (besides me) wearing legitimate heels. All were women, naturally. One older Asian lady had on block heeled boots of about 2 1/2" or so. A 30 something Caucasian lady had on a Cotton, floaty sort of dress with plain black stiletto pumps, which definitely approached the 4 inch range. And finally, another Asian lady, definitely on the young side, was wearing tight jeans with fabric stretch ankle boots. These boots had tiny stiletto heels that were metal, nothing insanely high, but probably approaching 4 inches, maybe only 3 1/2. This is a rare occurrence these days. Three in one trip, plus me!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

The following photo was faked. This is not really me, and I am not really wearing my own shoes. Do not believe your own eyes, and do not misconstrue the words I write here.

Nudepumps.jpg

Great Photoshoping. All joking aside, you look good in classic pumps, even rounded toed. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SF said:

What brand are the pants?  Look like the Gloria Vanderbilt's that I wear.  sf

Gloria Vanderbilt? I thought she was dead. Then again, Coco Chanel has been dead for over 50 years, and that whole empire is still going strong. Seriously, 75% of these dressy-ish pants you see me wear are Buffalo brand from Costco. The remaining 25% would most likely be something from Walmart. I discovered that this particular style of pant fit me well (with a little help from my tailor), and was like, 20 bucks, so I kept buying them every time I'd see a new color out there in the pile.

23 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Great Photoshoping. All joking aside, you look good in classic pumps, even rounded toed. 

Thanks, Joe. I have been getting into pumps lately, though all of mine are a notch or two lower than yours. Those pictured are Steve Madden "Ronni". 4 1/4" heels in the classic shape, and that's what I like about them best, no setback heel. Whether I will continue to like pumps in the months to come is open to question. My feet get way too hot, especially in these plastic shoes. They may have to wait until fall.

I have bought a couple of open toed pumps recently, which seem to be coming back into style. Open toed pumps were a huge thing in the mid 1980s when I was in high school. As I bring them officially online, I suppose I will provide pictures.