The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

7 hours ago, SF said:

What I learned from this priceless essay by Michael O’Donoghue from the National Lampoon, “pulled my peanuts outta the fire” and got me thru college.  How to Write Good.  Hilarious....  sf

http://workableweb.com/_pages/tips_how_to_write_good.htm

Mildly amusing and helpful, but a little sloppy in places and, that aside, also loses something when translated into proper English.   :study:

It is my habit to write in the vernacular for some odd reason.

What I really want to talk about today, however, is the fact that I've had a long string of that bad luck lately when it comes to shoe purchases. In fact, I should probably get all of my bad luck shoes together in one place and take a picture of before deep-sixing them. I mean, the only pair of shoes I've bought recently that are not self destructing in some way while simultaneously actually fitting my feet are the pair of sparkly silver sandals, which I have no idea under what circumstances I would ever wear them. That is all.

• Sad 2

It happens in streaks.  I only purchase new heels. I have had times where I had several on-line purchases in a row that I  returned the heels because they didn't fit.  Frustrating indeed!

Edited by Cali

12 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

It is my habit to write in the vernacular for some odd reason.

I find it very difficult to write in the vernacular - there isn't enough light in there.  The summerhouse is better.  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Puffer said:

I find it very difficult to write in the vernacular - there isn't enough light in there.  The summerhouse is better.  

Ok, I get it. I had to actually look it up, but it was worth it. You always challenge me, Mr Puffer.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2022 at 5:07 AM, mlroseplant said:

What I really want to talk about today, however, is the fact that I've had a long string of that bad luck lately when it comes to shoe purchases. In fact, I should probably get all of my bad luck shoes together in one place and take a picture of before deep-sixing them. I mean, the only pair of shoes I've bought recently that are not self destructing in some way while simultaneously actually fitting my feet are the pair of sparkly silver sandals, which I have no idea under what circumstances I would ever wear them. That is all.

The supply chain disruptions over the last 2 years may have affected quality.  I have been working as a consultant for a footwear company the last 2 years, and they have had to switch a lot of their suppliers.  The product might look the same to the consumer, but some of these shoes are now being made by totally different factories and suppliers that they may have never used in the past.  I imagine this could affect quality.  

I'm not sure if these 'slides' are your style, melrose - heels not nearly high enough? - but interesting that ASOS is doing them in sizes to UK12.   

I like sandals but they both seem to combine clumpiness with being a tad too femme, so not for me.

image.thumb.png.d597df682e294e0d349e33b657060ae8.png                         image.thumb.png.6be3ead43e62aec8688393e66804cca5.png

13 minutes ago, Puffer said:

I'm not sure if these 'slides' are your style, melrose - heels not nearly high enough? - but interesting that ASOS is doing them in sizes to UK12.   

I like sandals but they both seem to combine clumpiness with being a tad too femme, so not for me.

image.thumb.png.d597df682e294e0d349e33b657060ae8.png                         image.thumb.png.6be3ead43e62aec8688393e66804cca5.png

Indeed. The worst of both worlds, and square toes besides. It's not that I would never consider something that low, it's just that if I'm going to do it, I want something that's at least a little bit cute, such as the following. I, not being subject to the constraints of needing extra large sizing, of course.

SöfftBlkWedgesSide.jpg

SöfftBlkWedgesTop.jpg

Sandals are my preferred style, I like them and the climate where I live allows one to wear sandals year round, which is nice.  I have these very similar pair to the ones you pictured above.  The are "almost wedges" from Payless Shoes around 3 inches high.  I have had them for a few years now and they are still in good shape.  Comfy, easy on and off and a tiny bit "blingy" (cute?) as well.  I like 'em.  Sometimes it's good to be cute.  Smile...  sf

IMG_8590.jpg

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

4 hours ago, Puffer said:

These are styles that I love to wear, as I have many pairs of them in various colors. I even ordered two new pairs from Penny's one in an orange color and one in a bright pink. Wearing these sandals, I always have a nice pedi usually in red but bright pink for October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bluejay said:

These are styles that I love to wear, as I have many pairs of them in various colors. I even ordered two new pairs from Penny's one in an orange color and one in a bright pink. Wearing these sandals, I always have a nice pedi usually in red but bright pink for October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

The pair on the left is not that bad, except for the extremely squared-off toe. Have you embraced this shape of toe, or is it just the style of heel that you're seeing there? I find square toes to be unflattering, especially in a sandal. On the other hand, another troubling trend is the pointy-toed sandal. I dislike this also, and for the same reason. It simply does not compliment the shape of an actual foot, which with sandals, you can directly compare the two.

• Like 3

I too prefer Almond shape heels.  Pointed heels where the toes of the shoe's arrives before you get there just don't agree with my toe box. And I don' like the look of the squared off toe either.  But women's shoes have such variety that I don't need to consider these styles.

• Like 1

All wide square toe footwear reminds me of things like The Landing of the Pilgrim Fathers, for some reason:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/The_landing_of_the_pilgrim_fathers%2C_in_America._A.D._1620_LCCN2003671548.jpg

The shape just looks so manufactured, as opposed to designed, following some contour.  But that wide square toe look is still a look, just not one that I like.  

• Like 1

Not that I care that much anymore, but it is interesting to note that I received my first ever compliment from a man on my shoes recently. It's a been quite a while, but I have received quite a few jabs from men about my shoes, and the most memorable of these jabs occurred at the same place that this recent compliment occurred--Costco. Coincidence? I'm not a big believer in fate.

• Like 1

Since there is nothing much going on here, it seems like a perfect time to share a not-so-great picture of me in my last Sunday's church outfit. I have the correct purple colored tie to fit the liturgical season, which is Lent. For those interested, we will switch to red for Holy Week, then white or gold for Easter up to Pentecost, red again for Pentecost, then green for the rest of the year up until Advent, known rather boringly as "Ordinary Time."

I would like to point out that the main item of interest in this picture is not my tie, but rather my silver sparkly mules, bought fairly recently on a whim. I wondered where I would ever wear them, but I guess I am less self-conscious than I used to be, so I wore them to church. I did not receive any comments on them one way or the other. I am not totally sure what was going on with my shirt in this picture, but I didn't notice until later, and I was not inclined to drag everything back outside to retake.

SilverMulesOutfit.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting combination.

Honestly, you're just the guy in heels and have been fully accepted as such. I'm in the same place. I can't pull off the open toed mules, but every bit the femme thin heels and love it.

Lot's of rules over the colors based on the biblical season.

• Like 1

Nice sandals.  Summer is coming, summertime = sandal time!!  

And yes, there is not much activity here lately.  I am guessing 20 or less regular contributors.  Too bad.  

Anyway, enjoy or silver "bling" sandals....   smile   sf

for sure no much activity going on here lately! 

On my side I am still wearing heels ( nearly) everyday. Still traveling in heels. Doing my own stuff! 

I would post much more often if my pics were not always rejected as too heavy. Even if I reduce the resolution and the size. Any tip?i notice some members are posting nice pictures. I am using an IPhone. 

No matter if it makes me feel a moron 

1 hour ago, Pierre1961 said:

for sure no much activity going on here lately! 

On my side I am still wearing heels ( nearly) everyday. Still traveling in heels. Doing my own stuff! 

I would post much more often if my pics were not always rejected as too heavy. Even if I reduce the resolution and the size. Any tip?i notice some members are posting nice pictures. I am using an IPhone. 

No matter if it makes me feel a moron 

When i post images i use my very old g3. I then have to email to myself allowing 90% reduction. Seems to work with decent enough quality.

• Like 1

ha ha.....   Then I must be a moron too!!  I try and post pics and most of the time do not succeed.  I get some sort of an error message that I don't understand.  I am a low tech guy living in a high tech world.  And I love it.  Still have a flip phone, does not even do texts...  

And I too try and wear heels every day, it's fun!!!   Smile....   sf

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SF said:

ha ha.....   Then I must be a moron too!!  I try and post pics and most of the time do not succeed.  I get some sort of an error message that I don't understand.  I am a low tech guy living in a high tech world.  And I love it.  Still have a flip phone, does not even do texts...  

And I too try and wear heels every day, it's fun!!!   Smile....   sf

Your files are too big.  I normally first crop in a photo program and then shrink them by 80% in Paint.  There's nothing wrong with flip phones, I have one.  But you need HIGH heels.

Edited by Cali
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cali said:

Your files are too big.  I normally first crop in a photo program and then shrink them by 80% in Paint.  There's nothing wrong with flip phones, I have one.  But you need HIGH heels.

Yes, I am pretty useless when it comes to managing phones and PCs but that technique using Paint works for me too.