The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

Interesting material there, albeit incomplete.   I doesn't however agree totally with other references I have seen in relation to 'French' (and other) heel shapes, although as you suggest there is limited correlation between some of these historic designs and more modern footwear, including yours.   See below for one rather crude reference - you can see the difference between what are called there French, Louis and Spanish heels - with the French being most similar to yours imho, although I don't have the advantage of seeing your shoes in close-up detail .   

But, logically, the French (or Louis) heel ought to be of the type pictured in your article, with pronounced curves/flares, although I think that with higher heels that curvature is minimised.   I do agree that the Spanish heel pictured in your article is similar those on to your shoes, albeit lower.   At the end of the day, the name doesn't really matter - we know what we like to see or wear!

Examples of common types of heels [8]

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Puffer said:

At the end of the day, the name doesn't really matter - we know what we like to see or wear!

Examples of common types of heels [8]

At the end of the day, you and I just like to talk, so none of it really matters. That's what my wife would say.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pic mirose. Just a question, what are you wearing for pants under your top coat. Are you wearing skinny jeans or something else. Last night when I went to my 6 PM church service I wore a pair of blue knee boots with navy blue leggings. My coat was shorter and one could see that I was wearing leggings. I like wearing leggings and I do so alot, whether with boots  or shoes. Heels of course.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bluejay said:

Nice pic mirose. Just a question, what are you wearing for pants under your top coat. Are you wearing skinny jeans or something else. Last night when I went to my 6 PM church service I wore a pair of blue knee boots with navy blue leggings. My coat was shorter and one could see that I was wearing leggings. I like wearing leggings and I do so alot, whether with boots  or shoes. Heels of course.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

In this case, I was just wearing jeans, which I suppose you could have seen if I had taken a picture without the coat. It didn't occur to me to do that, since it was right around 0º when I took this picture. I have worn leggings to church before, but not very many times. Usually I wear some dressier pants that are skinny-ish, but didn't on this particular day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't written on my little thread in a while, and there's really nothing to tell. We are in the throes of winter, and I don't do a lot of recreational heeling at this time of year, but I did have one experience last week worth telling.

I got a compliment last week from a supermarket cashier. That in and of itself is not worth telling, and I often don't bother to recount compliments I've received, because they've become commonplace enough that they are usually not noteworthy. In this case, it wasn't the compliment itself that got me to thinking, but the fact that I was wearing my Nine West Sizzles. I have received more compliments on this particular pair of shoes than any other. I haven't counted, of course, but I'm sure this is by far at the top of the list.

This is where statistics start to get a little bit murky. Yes, I have received more compliments on these shoes, but according to Amazon, I bought these on Jan. 4, 2013, which means I've had them for 9 years. They have also proven to be my most durable shoes as far as number of miles walked, and they still look pretty decent. Given that, is it the shoes themselves that suit me, or is it the fact that I have worn them a lot, so therefore have the statistical opportunity to be complimented with a greater frequency? Or, could it be the fact that when I am wearing these shoes, the rest of my outfit tends to be more conservative, and therefore I am more approachable?

Sizzle110mi.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/14/2022 at 12:09 PM, mlroseplant said:

Or, could it be the fact that when I am wearing these shoes, the rest of my outfit tends to be more conservative, and therefore I am more approachable?

Sizzle110mi.jpg

Next time you could try a decent hat instead of the cap, to me that would add even more style to this outfit. 🎩:beers:

• Like 1

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

On 1/17/2022 at 6:31 AM, Isolathor said:

Next time you could try a decent hat instead of the cap, to me that would add even more style to this outfit. 🎩:beers:

I agree with you! To the point where I wouldn't actually wear this particular outfit out in real public. This photo does not depict what I actually wore when I got the compliment, except to show the shoes that have gotten the most compliments. This photo was taken after one of my morning constitutionals, and this particular outfit happens to be convenient and comfortable for that purpose in certain types of weather. Nobody, or next to nobody, sees me at this time of day anyway.

As an aside, I would rarely post any pictures of myself, except that so many people have requested it. Occasionally, I give in.

16 hours ago, CHRISPAP said:

Maybe because this model corresponds the most to a ''men's heel'' in the mind of the people, unlike a Pump / Stiletto or a open shoes

Perhaps. This is about as close to a boot as you can get without actually being a boot, and boots seem to be manly. I'll have to keep better track of what shoes get the compliments in the future. I know I have some silver colored sandals that got two enthusiastic compliments last summer, but memory is a fairly unreliable thing.

I got another compliment a few days ago, but this one was a little more subtle, because it was at work, and I was not wearing heels. So it was like, a million degrees below zero that morning, and we all stumbled into the building to begin our work day, in a numbed state, and this one fellow says to me, "Have you got any joint problems at your age?" I replied to him, "Not really, but my right hip has been giving me a bit of trouble lately. It feels pretty good today, however!"

I had no idea where this was going, but then he said, "Man, you walk good! You don't even walk. You just gliiiiiiiide!" He is from Louisiana. You have to imagine the accent. Many things went through my mind at this moment, but I simply said, "Well, I guess it's just practice." Before that answer could be questioned, somebody else interrupted our conversation with a morning greeting, thank goodness!

As y'all know, I do not go out of my way to hide my heeling, but I also do not mention it at work. This compliment caught me off guard.

Edited by mlroseplant
Because I wanted to write a reason for the edit.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Me and the wife went to Costco yesterday. We do this about once a month, and I cannot think of the last time I went to Costco in flats, because why would I do that to myself? I write this today, the morning after, not because the outing was noteworthy, but because our cashier went on and on about my shoes. In an admiring way, as I'm sure you're all familiar with. "Oh, I could never wear heels that high!" You know, I don't mind the attention, but it is my true desire to be left the hell alone.

This is exactly how I appeared, including the mask. Yes, I still wear a mask in public. I am not sure that I will stop, even when this public heath issue is over. I think I look better with a mask.

complimentbcbg.jpg

• Like 4

I can understand the mixed feelings - nice to be complimented but nicer still not have men in heels not that big a deal. My heels are not as high as yours, but my boots are much higher, and worn outside jeans, but nobody seems to be overly exercised about my wearing them. No compliments, but no catcalls either. 

26 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

but no catcalls either. 

I'm thinking it has been nearly 7 years since I've been openly called out on the street. Oh, wait.  .  . I forgot about that time 5 years ago when I visited Dahlonega, Georgia. But that doesn't hardly count.

• Haha 1

Costco is a funny place. Since I am almost always in heels I get recognized upon entry. There is one membership checker that will always compliment me on my heels. I usually have at least one other encounter every time I visit Costco. Last visit it was two shoes encounters (posted in CailWorld) and another one where a women blocked my entrance into a chill room to tell me she loved my chetah hoodie and mask.

• 2 weeks later...

It is time to bite the bullet and cull some shoes soon. I haven't done a full shoe inventory in over a year, but I did a quick count a few days ago. Evidently, I have 90 pairs of high heels. Or 85, depending upon how you count, because 5 pair are definitely low heels, but they still take up the same amount of room in my life.

Last time I went through this process, it wasn't difficult. I got rid of several pair which were unsuitable for public consumption for various reasons. Some were simply worn out to the point of no return, some had never fit me quite right, and some I had just never worn for whatever reason. This time, I need to make some hard choices. First to hit the chopping block are probably my Vera Wang loafer pumps. I have them in 3 different colors. I love them. However, I have to admit that the design of the toe box does not fit my personal foot very well, and they make my toes numb after a time. This is after giving them years of chances to straighten up and fly right. They should probably go.

Then there are those Aldo platform oxfords that I bought maybe 2 years ago, and have worn twice. The reason I don't like them is because when I have seen photos of me wearing them, they're ugly. Theoretically, they're cool, but they don't really look all that great on me. Now we're getting down to harder choices--what about those Shoedazzle rainbow mules I got last year? Those things are SO cool! However, after only a few wearings, they have stretched out to the point where I have to have ball of foot inserts AND wear of those thong toe ball of foot pads to make them work. They are still viable, but 99% of the time, I find myself choosing something else because of this "feature."

Then I've got the giant Sam Edelman clogs in black and brown. They are so comfortable, comfortable to the point where I've gotten one of the pairs reheeled, but I have not worn them even one time this winter. Why not? It seems I have reached for my BCBG clogs of a similar, but less huge style every time. Or, if I need something way more practical, my Dansko wedge clogs.

Speaking of wedges, I could probably stand to get rid of a few of those, as well. I just don't wear them, even though there's nothing wrong with them. Would it kill me if I got rid of the two Michael Kors wedges I own, which I have worn at most a half dozen time between the two of them? I need to be ruthless!

• Like 5

I did it. Here are the first 5 pairs to go. You'll notice that three of them are identical except for color. I've finally decided after messing around with these Vera Wang "Talli" shoes for 6 years, yes, that's 6 years, they are never going to straighten up and fly right, so I'm getting rid of them. This despite the fact that they are in possibly my favorite category of closed shoes, namely high heeled loafers. It's not that they're unwearable, but they have just never stretched out like I thought they might. I think the problem lies in the fact that the toe box is not big enough in the vertical dimension, causing my toes to go numb after about half an hour, and I don't know of anything you can do about that.

Michael Kors wedge: Digs a hole in the side of my ankle unless I wear a band-aid. Not a big wedge fan anyway, and with these in particular you have to actually go to the trouble of buckling up every time you put them on, and unbuckling when you take them off, not really my style. Plus, they're kind of clompy when you walk. Gone.

Aldo platform oxfords: Just flat-out too small. Euro 39 does not translate to U.S.W. 9 like many conversion charts proclaim, especially with Aldo. I should know better by now. Besides, they kinda ugly. I have seen videos of myself wearing these. I was a bit taken aback by their lack of charm.

Since this picture was taken, I have culled another pair, unfortunately another loafer style pump. I believe this is Michael Kors also, and it's just too small. This one's a mystery--it's size 9, I've had plenty of other MK shoes over the years in size 9, but this one's too small.

On edit: I guess I should read through some of my previous posts before posting again, as I seem to be repeating myself. At least I did what I said I was going to do, and for the reasons stated. But now you have pictorial evidence!

ShoeCullMar22.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I did it. Here are the first 5 pairs to go. You'll notice that three of them are identical except for color. I've finally decided after messing around with these Vera Wang "Talli" shoes for 6 years, yes, that's 6 years, they are never going to straighten up and fly right, so I'm getting rid of them. This despite the fact that they are in possibly my favorite category of closed shoes, namely high heeled loafers. It's not that they're unwearable, but they have just never stretched out like I thought they might. I think the problem lies in the fact that the toe box is not big enough in the vertical dimension, causing my toes to go numb after about half an hour, and I don't know of anything you can do about that.

Michael Kors wedge: Digs a hole in the side of my ankle unless I wear a band-aid. Not a big wedge fan anyway, and with these in particular you have to actually go to the trouble of buckling up every time you put them on, and unbuckling when you take them off, not really my style. Plus, they're kind of clompy when you walk. Gone.

Aldo platform oxfords: Just flat-out too small. Euro 39 does not translate to U.S.W. 9 like many conversion charts proclaim, especially with Aldo. I should know better by now. Besides, they kinda ugly. I have seen videos of myself wearing these. I was a bit taken aback by their lack of charm.

Since this picture was taken, I have culled another pair, unfortunately another loafer style pump. I believe this is Michael Kors also, and it's just too small. This one's a mystery--it's size 9, I've had plenty of other MK shoes over the years in size 9, but this one's too small.

On edit: I guess I should read through some of my previous posts before posting again, as I seem to be repeating myself. At least I did what I said I was going to do, and for the reasons stated. But now you have pictorial evidence!

ShoeCullMar22.jpg

Are you going to sell them?

12 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Are you going to sell them?

I used to do that, but with financial stability comes laziness. I donated them all. The last round I went through I actually trashed about half of them because that's where they really belonged.

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I used to do that, but with financial stability comes laziness. I donated them all. The last round I went through I actually trashed about half of them because that's where they really belonged.

Too bad, i have a heeled buddy who'd love the two thinner heeled loafers. He's your size. He's shy about shopping. Would have paid the shipping. Next let.me know what moving on from, even if they are worn.

17 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Too bad, i have a heeled buddy who'd love the two thinner heeled loafers. He's your size. He's shy about shopping. Would have paid the shipping. Next let.me know what moving on from, even if they are worn.

Sure wish I'd have known that 24 hours sooner. Shoot me a message, I've got some more that I don't necessarily want to get rid of, but I'd be willing to for the right person.

1 minute ago, mlroseplant said:

Sure wish I'd have known that 24 hours sooner. Shoot me a message, I've got some more that I don't necessarily want to get rid of, but I'd be willing to for the right person.

Ya know, if he wants them bad enough, I can probably get them back for like 5 bucks. This has happened to me before. My wife has actually dragged home shoes that I had donated the week before. I am not making this up!

38 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Ya know, if he wants them bad enough, I can probably get them back for like 5 bucks. This has happened to me before. My wife has actually dragged home shoes that I had donated the week before. I am not making this up!

Just messaged you. May also be interested in those others you mentioned. Definitely if you can buy back the three at 8 oclock to 12 in the dial.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 2:41 AM, mlroseplant said:

So here is the reason why I don't wear generously cut full legged trousers anymore. For some, I suppose it would be a reason to wear them. I did clean up the shoes somewhat before I wore them. It's been a while.

HiddenHeels.jpg

BrownRoundToe.jpg

Gorgeous!!!

14 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Evidently, there ain't nothing going on here. Which is fine, I waste enough of my time on this place as it is. I'll just keep on doing what it is I do in real life.

Such as brushing-up on your English grammar?  :reading:   I suggest 'ain't never nothing' would be better!  🤓

16 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Evidently, there ain't nothing going on here. Which is fine, I waste enough of my time on this place as it is. I'll just keep on doing what it is I do in real life.

Isolather was a real loss. But, yah not much going on. He and Helen breathed some life intothe forum that was slow before their arrival.