The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

17 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

I like that, we should all call him chipmunk.

As long as you don't call me "late for work." It's funny about nicknames. They can't really be forced, either for good or for evil, they just sort of happen. My name started out years ago as "Ground Squirrel," probably because I was in charge of site grounding (or "earthing," and some of our brethren say). It was my first real foreman gig, and they about near ran me to death. I pretty much hated every minute of it, but I survived and became a.  .  . I don't want to say better person, that would not really be accurate. Let's say I because a more mature person because of that experience, and I still have the name to remind me, albeit within mere months of its inception, it was truncated to just "Squirrel."

Still no word from the doctor. If I don't hear something today, I guess I'll have to call him myself.

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

As long as you don't call me "late for work." It's funny about nicknames. They can't really be forced, either for good or for evil, they just sort of happen. My name started out years ago as "Ground Squirrel," probably because I was in charge of site grounding (or "earthing," and some of our brethren say). It was my first real foreman gig, and they about near ran me to death. I pretty much hated every minute of it, but I survived and became a.  .  . I don't want to say better person, that would not really be accurate. Let's say I because a more mature person because of that experience, and I still have the name to remind me, albeit within mere months of its inception, it was truncated to just "Squirrel."

Still no word from the doctor. If I don't hear something today, I guess I'll have to call him myself.

I'm sure you also became more down-to-earth and gained a better grounding in your career.  🐹🌩️

• Haha 1

I should have gotten comments last night at the farmer's market. I didn't. Maybe it's because there are a lot of people walking around who look way more interesting than me. But it was kind of a slow night, so maybe that has something to do with it. It was also unusually hot for the middle of September, so I continued my usual habit of wearing shorts. I chose my pink Loft shorts, which are slightly dressy, if that is even possible with 3" inseam shorts, but it's the term I like to use, to differentiate them from denim cutoffs. A very light blue collared t-shirt with a graphic pattern on it and my Bruno Magli "Kira" wedge sandals completed my outfit.

I was complaining that I was out of practice wearing actual high heels the other day, so I decided to kick it up another notch and wear the shoes pictured below. They are nearly 4 inch heels (3 7/8", to be exact) with no platform, and maybe this causes them to look less than impressive on, but they are definitely steeper than what I've been wearing all summer. I dumped some money into these sandals by having sole protectors put on, as I figure the ridiculously thin leather soles wouldn't last half an hour in the real world. I don't know why so many designer shoes do that to you. It's almost like adding insult to injury at the prices they want.

This market basically requires you to be on your feet for 5 hours. The first 4 hours were just fine. The last hour was.  .  . how shall I put it.  .  . a very sensory experience. I won't say painful, that's really not the right word, but it wasn't exactly comfortable either. I told you I'm out of practice! Now, the next morning, it appears that I got by with it, I can feel no ill effects.

BMKiraWedgeSide.jpg

BMKiraWedgeTop.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I should have gotten comments last night at the farmer's market. I didn't. Maybe it's because there are a lot of people walking around who look way more interesting than me. But it was kind of a slow night, so maybe that has something to do with it. It was also unusually hot for the middle of September, so I continued my usual habit of wearing shorts. I chose my pink Loft shorts, which are slightly dressy, if that is even possible with 3" inseam shorts, but it's the term I like to use, to differentiate them from denim cutoffs. A very light blue collared t-shirt with a graphic pattern on it and my Bruno Magli "Kira" wedge sandals completed my outfit.

I was complaining that I was out of practice wearing actual high heels the other day, so I decided to kick it up another notch and wear the shoes pictured below. They are nearly 4 inch heels (3 7/8", to be exact) with no platform, and maybe this causes them to look less than impressive on, but they are definitely steeper than what I've been wearing all summer. I dumped some money into these sandals by having sole protectors put on, as I figure the ridiculously thin leather soles wouldn't last half an hour in the real world. I don't know why so many designer shoes do that to you. It's almost like adding insult to injury at the prices they want.

This market basically requires you to be on your feet for 5 hours. The first 4 hours were just fine. The last hour was.  .  . how shall I put it.  .  . a very sensory experience. I won't say painful, that's really not the right word, but it wasn't exactly comfortable either. I told you I'm out of practice! Now, the next morning, it appears that I got by with it, I can feel no ill effects.

BMKiraWedgeSide.jpg

BMKiraWedgeTop.jpg

Thanks for sharing.  Pics would be nice

21 hours ago, Henri1942 said:

Thanks for sharing.  Pics would be nice

Maybe I'll recreate the outfit as soon as it comes out of the wash. That's the only way you'll ever get any pictures of any of these farmer's market outfits, as my son is back in school and doesn't come with us anymore. My wife is too busy for such silliness, and even if she weren't, she would purposefully cut my feet out of the picture.

I was having a conversation with a distant acquaintance (in other words, we recognize each other, but I barely know the guy) the other day, when suddenly he asked what my pronouns were. I did one of those involuntary looks where my eyes go all the way to one side and then return to center, as in "What the hell are you talking about?" I then realized what he was getting at and I replied, "Ummm.  .  . he and him?" as if it were a question. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was. Hopefully I didn't sound too dismissive.

• Like 1

The world theses days is so confusing....  I like keeping it simple.....

Curious tho, what was his response / reaction?   Have fun....  sf

• Confused 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I guess I am headed to a neurologist sometime in the near future. I just had an appointment with the doctor to discuss the results of the MRI of my back, and got to witness a rare thing--the doctor actually admitted he was flat-out wrong about the cause of my dropped foot. The MRI clearly showed that there is nothing wrong with my back, at least nerve-wise. And yet the problem still persists. It's a lot better than it was, even from last week, but it persists.

It was small town parade time on Saturday. My son was playing in the marching band for the first time, so I wanted to get some pictures and video for my far away family. Quite by accident, I discovered what must be the only other person in the entire crowd who was wearing heels besides me.

I think I am back, as far as wearing higher heels again. I was going through a period where I was beginning to feel clumsy, awkward, and uncomfortable in anything much exceeding 3 inches. I'm sure it has something to do with my neurological condition. I wore some 4 1/2" heels (no platform) to church yesterday, and was fine. Tired, by the end of it, but fine. Now, if I could just get back to where I can walk normally in flats again.  .  .

ParadeHighHeels.jpg

• Like 2

Glad you be getting mo bettah.  It's good to not be the only person in heels!!  What style of heels were you wearing?  Nice picture too, I have a pair of very similar sandals (I like that style), but with a bit chunkier heel...   Have fun...  sf

On 9/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, SF said:

Glad you be getting mo bettah.  It's good to not be the only person in heels!!  What style of heels were you wearing?  Nice picture too, I have a pair of very similar sandals (I like that style), but with a bit chunkier heel...   Have fun...  sf

I appear to have made even more progress since last week--I'm to the point where I can walk almost normally in tennis shoes, though my heavy steel toed work shoes still trip me up (literally). As far as what shoes was I wearing for the parade? I can't remember, but I know they were heels! I also know they would have been wedges, because I had to walk across gravel and grass for my duties, and I would have anticipated that. I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid.

Ha ha....   I know what you mean.  Once (and only once) I wore a pair of kitten heeled sandals to an event that was held mostly on grass.  Lesson well learned, the sandals survived the ordeal amazingly, and the grass looked great a few weeks later after being aerated.  Wearing the right heel type for your travels is important.  ha ha...  

Glad that things are coming along for ya as well....   smile....   sf

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SF said:

Once (and only once) I wore a pair of kitten heeled sandals to an event that was held mostly on grass.  Lesson well learned, the sandals survived the ordeal amazingly, and the grass looked great a few weeks later after being aerated.  

That is a problem only on wet soil. If the ground is dry heels can be worn.

1311899509_P2090643a_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.5ff5ecaf82c74885012879d33058c97a.JPG 1283258982_P2090647A_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.41dd6479738864c78bf03d723ecce161.JPG

• Like 4

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

The way I figure it, you just never know what you'll run into around here, so it's best to wear wedges if there is any doubt, even though I'm not a big fan of wedges. They are practical in some situations. Of course, it would have been more practical to wear tennis shoes, or at least flat sandals, but one has to draw the line somewhere. I've a reputation to maintain in this town.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Tennis shoes???  Tennis shoes????  Really??  Wayyyy to practical, and drab...  ha ha ha...  

But yes, sometimes you have to be practical.  Maybe???   ha ha 

Have fun....   sf

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I've a reputation to maintain in this town.

Don't we all? When you wear in public for any length of time you get a reputation.  I suppose that your church might think the END is near if you stop coming in heels. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cali said:

Don't we all? When you wear in public for any length of time you get a reputation.  I suppose that your church might think the END is near if you stop coming in heels. 

Agreed, I'm fully expected in heels. These days I get more comments when I'm not in heels. Kind of like that is so normal being in 5 inch mostly spike stilettos. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cali said:

To be clear, we're not an End Times kind of church, but if we were, you might be right! Also to be clear, if we were an End Times kind of church, I would quit. Back in the Real World, what would probably happen is that several people would be concerned that I had injured myself or something. A woman at choir rehearsal last night seemed way more concerned about the fact that I was wearing shorts (the temperature had dipped into the mid 60s by that hour, or < 20º C) than what I had on my feet.

• Like 1

I found this picture taken in mid-August which shows off my Bruno Magli "Kira" wedges, pictured by themselves not far above. I had sole protectors put on these, since the stock leather soles are almost comically thin. I cannot comment whether it has made a difference in comfort or not, since I didn't dare wear the shoes outside much without the sole protectors, so I don't have much of a comparison to make. I will say that wearing shoes with no platform at all is a far different experience than wearing shoes with even a small platform. I won't opine on whether one is better than the other, I can see advantages to both.

The upper bands are very soft suede, almost velvet. It's possibly a stupid material to be wearing here in Iowa, as inclement weather could happen at any time, predicted or not. I do have them sprayed down well with chemical protectant, but it still seems way too delicate to last for years. This particular pair is size 38 1/2, and that's barely big enough. I wish they were 39 or even 39 1/2, but I don't think they look terrible. What I really wish is that they were about 5 mm longer in the back, but everything else were the same. That's getting really picky, I realize. :penitent:

BrunoWedges.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now is the point where I have to fish or cut bait. The weather has taken a turn for the colder, and rather suddenly, so it Time to Think About Winter Footwear. The time was actually several months ago, but I didn't do that, instead.

So.  .  . here's the deal. I own 4 pairs of boots, 2 knee high, and 2 ankle high. One of each is actually suitable for winter weather, and by winter weather, I mean snowfall. However, my knee high boots suitable for slogging through snow are getting incredibly ratty looking. It's also possible they are no longer structurally sound--I've had to make several half-ass repairs to maintain safety. My point is that I need (or would like, I don't really NEED) another pair of knee high boots with about a 4 inch block heel.

I don't know why I can spend 400 bucks on a new mouthpiece for my son's saxophone, which is not even his main instrument, and not really blink, but the thought of spending less than half that on winter boots makes me depressed. Maybe it's because I like saxophones, and I don't like boots.  .  .