The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

5 hours ago, dagino said:

You can take photos of people in public. But you must not publish the photo. To publish a photo, you must have the consent of the person being photographed, or you must edit the photo so that the person cannot be identified.

U.S. allows images of people provided they are not a subject, i.e. background. Internet has changed much, but if I take a pic of someone and specificly dicuss that someone, if they find out watch out should they find out. It's absolutely impossible to take a photo in a crowd and not capture somebody you don't know.

5 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

This  has been an interesting discussion about streetshots. I guess my motivation for not taking them has to do with my sense of decency, rather than any legal reasons. Along those lines, I actually saw an actual woman in the actual grocery store the other day wearing actual stiletto heels! I estimate that the woman was about 35-40 years old, and she was wearing a dress that was not super fitted, but I wouldn't call it casual, either. She wore plain tan pumps with stiletto heels approaching the 4 inch range, not super tall, but definitely serious heels. She appeared to know her way around them, as she did not appear awkward at all, walking quite naturally. When I saw her, I almost blurted out, "Wow, someone else who actually still wears heels!" But I didn't, instead. Also, I did not take a picture. However, I do have the following picture of what I was wearing in the grocery store, along with the vehicle that transported me there. Yeah, I didn't have a whole lot to get this week.

BonnyScooter.jpg

Nice legs, ha ha. Have to say so rare to see women out and about in heels. Like you I'm almost always the one wearing them. 

Shorts and slings last night at buffalo wild wings. Can't take a selfy without really looking odd, so no picture. 

• Thanks 1

I attended a funeral a couple of weeks ago.  One of my late wife’s aunts, the last surviving person in my father-in-law’s generation, passed away and since she was one of my wife’s favorites, It was my honor to help celebrate her life along with her children.  She was a was a well known personality in their community, very active civic and church affairs.  Needless to say that I was dressed very conservatively for this event (my guess, over 100 people, over half were female).  While Everyone was dressed appropriately, there were only three women wearing heels.  One wearing a pair of low heel open toe sling back pumps and the other two wearing attractive wedge heel sandals.  The rest of the women were wearing flat sandals.  Given that this community is a small agricultural village, I chose to wear a dark summer suit pair of black Nine West penny loafers with 2 1/2” heels which went totally unnoticed.  I really liked this person and her family.  It was a sad event.  She was 92.

Edited by Bubba136
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Me and the boy went to a farmer's market last night. Well, we're sort of forced to, since my wife is one of the vendors! Wandering around and observing, I was surprised to see several people, perhaps half a dozen, wearing heels besides me. Furthermore, I wasn't wearing the highest heels in the place, I was actually outdone by a couple of ladies. Keep in mind that I had to set up the tent/booth, and I've discovered it's best to keep my heel height moderate, as there are a number of heavy things to unload and carry.

In our free time, my son and I sampled some of our neighbor vendors' products, and we wound up on social media, voluntarily. However, they cut off my shoes. Hmmm, never had THAT happen before (sarcastic comment, if it's not clear in print)! I wonder if it was on purpose?

TotallyRolled.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Me and the boy went to a farmer's market last night. Well, we're sort of forced to, since my wife is one of the vendors! Wandering around and observing, I was surprised to see several people, perhaps half a dozen, wearing heels besides me. Furthermore, I wasn't wearing the highest heels in the place, I was actually outdone by a couple of ladies. Keep in mind that I had to set up the tent/booth, and I've discovered it's best to keep my heel height moderate, as there are a number of heavy things to unload and carry.

In our free time, my son and I sampled some of our neighbor vendors' products, and we wound up on social media, voluntarily. However, they cut off my shoes. Hmmm, never had THAT happen before (sarcastic comment, if it's not clear in print)! I wonder if it was on purpose?

TotallyRolled.jpg

Looks like a great day. They didn't fully remove your shoes. A observant viewer can make out black strappy sandals, granted can't tell they are heeled.

Ice cream on a summer day, pretty good stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I bet most people don’t even think about whether the shoes are included in the shot or not.  Either way, that is their loss!

I had a similar experience at work when we were asked to share pictures of our pets.  I submitted one of our cats climbing up my leg with my boots and 3.5” heels in clear view.  The editor cropped out the boots…

Edited by p1ng74
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

A bad start, but I'm pleased to know that your English lessons were not entirely wasted! 👨‍🎓

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

A bad start, but I'm pleased to know that your English lessons were not entirely wasted! 👨‍🎓

Aw, COME ON, man! You know I write in the vernacular on this site! 🤣😛🤣

And besides that, I was actually making a subtle reference to the NRBQ song, later covered by Bonnie Raitt, "Me and the Boys." But there was only one of him, so I couldn't very well have said "boys," init?

Edited by mlroseplant
Writing in the vernacular sometimes requires a lot of editing
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Aw, COME ON, man! You know I write in the vernacular on this site! 🤣😛🤣

And besides that, I was actually making a subtle reference to the NRBQ song, later covered by Bonnie Raitt, "Me and the Boys." But there was only one of him, so I couldn't very well have said "boys," init?

Be careful if you slip into the vernacular - it makes an awful mess of nice shoes.  🤢

• Haha 1

I have an interesting discovery. Everyone else in the world probably already knew this, but patent leather sandals seem to be a great choice to wear in less-than-clean conditions, such as setting up a booth at a farmer's market on a grassy field after it has rained.

My wife is a vendor at two different farmer's markets this year, one of them is on concrete, one of them is on grass.  Saturday morning is the time of the grass one, and I try to get there by 6:30 a.m. to make sure we've got our spot by the power pole.  What that means is, 90% of the time during setup, the grass is quite wet, either from dew or from rain. Typically, I had been wearing PVC rain boots to set up, because I really hate getting my feet wet. Last week, the weather was very, very hot, so I was wearing shorts even in the early morning. I didn't want to mess up any of my good shoes, and I also didn't want to wear tennis shoes because they'd just be soggy in a matter of minutes. I decided to throw on my rain boots with my shorts, which looked completely ridiculous for a couple of reasons, but that was not my chief mistake. My chief mistake was not wearing socks. Not only did my feet get wet within minutes anyway from the sweat, but the right boot wore a hole on the inside of my ankle which was so painful that I wound up ditching the boots and just going barefoot for about the last 25% of the setup. The wound has yet to fully heal, now 8 days later.

Fast forward to this week, and I was faced with the same situation, only I had made an important discovery. While wearing my nude patent leather Söfft sandals to do something in the yard (I can't remember what it was, perhaps watering the garden), I had stepped in some mud that I didn't notice until later. I took some of those Clorox wipes (which, despite the name, do not actually contain any bleach), and shut my mouth, that dirt/mud just wiped right off of that patent leather, like it had never been there in the first place. This got me to thinking, maybe I'll try these for the tent setup, and I'll put up with the wet feet just this one time to see.

These sandals, surprisingly enough, seem to be the perfect farmer's market shoe, at least during the hot days. Barring any hidden thistles or some such thing, what I discovered was that yes, my feet get wet, but they didn't stay wet, unlike the soggy tennis shoes or regular leather shoes, because the patent leather does not absorb any of the water. With a wedge heel of just 2", I can walk on any surface, lift things, or haul the trailer across the yard just like I would in flats. In addition, the soles of these particular sandals are sturdy enough to push in tent stakes with my foot, which is a definite plus for this activity. Try that in rubber flip flops or Crocs! I feel like as long as I don't trip on anything and actually gouge the leather, all of the grass clippings, dirt, and mud will wipe right off without a trace. Too bad my other Söfft patent leather wedges have a cork heel. I'm pretty sure that would be ruined in fairly short order under these conditions. Something to think about in future.

SöfftMarket.jpg

MarketTent.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 4:03 PM, Puffer said:

Is that a stall catering for 'persons of restricted growth' being set up to the left?   Hi ho, hi ho ...

I know it was meant to be a joke, but I'll explain anyway, as if it were a serious question. This picture was snapped as we were tearing down and packing up for the day. Usually, my wife has customers right up to quitting time, so we are often among the last to leave. This was the case last Saturday, so that's why it looks less like a farmer's market, and more like a couple of oddballs who have set up tents in the middle of nowhere.

Since you have shown interest in such things before, I am attaching a picture of a little rig I fabricated to solve a problem at this market, which was not having enough electricity for everyone who wanted it. On that pole, there are three 120V, 20A circuits available. My wife needs two of them for her fryers. Since this space is used as a campground during the county fair, there are also two 120/240V, 50A camper (Recreational Vehicle) receptacles on that same pole. This is the same receptacle that 99.9% of electric stoves in the U.S. use, unless they are hardwired. I simply created a small panel which plugs into this receptacle, and splits it up into four 120V, 20A circuits. Now there's enough power for everyone! No more fighting.

MarketPanel.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
Noticed a glaring grammatical error that I didn't before
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You might have a few more than I have, but you do not too many.  I live in short and wedges in the summer.

I heard that shorts are getting shorter this year.

• Like 2

mlroseplant : I am fairly sure  how to wear shorts , but how do you wear those horns ? They don't look much like high heels . You have to learn on what, and how to spend your money .                            mike

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 5:24 AM, mlroseplant said:

I simply created a small panel which plugs into this receptacle, and splits it up into four 120V, 20A circuits. Now there's enough power for everyone! No more fighting.

I hope there are breakers in that box!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Cali said:

You might have a few more than I have, but you do not too many.  I live in short and wedges in the summer.

I heard that shorts are getting shorter this year.

I can say with certainty that, even here in the relatively fashion conservative Midwest, you are starting to see guys in much shorter shorts than a few years ago. I even saw a guy last night at the farmer's market with shorts that were approaching my preferred length! To be sure, 97% of guys are still wearing long, baggier shorts here. And to be fair, most of them look rather better that way.

22 hours ago, spikesmike said:

mlroseplant : I am fairly sure  how to wear shorts , but how do you wear those horns ? They don't look much like high heels . You have to learn on what, and how to spend your money .                            mike

I could probably wear the detachable bell of my euphonium as a hat, but the smaller horns are definitely not wearable. Also, I'm not really sure what I would do with the tuba. The bell is way too big for a hat, yet too small to fit around my body. I guess I'll just play it instead.

21 hours ago, Pumped said:

I hope there are breakers in that box!

As a colleague of mine is so fond of saying, "Hey man, this ain't no hobby!" 😆😆😆

When I was looking into this, I found several premade adapters which do the same thing my rig does, but for much cheaper, such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Rophor-Adapter-14-50P-Household-Protection/dp/B08NXHHCKG/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=camper+outlet+adapter+120v&qid=1625226926&sr=8-14

However, in my professional opinion, this adapter is VERY unsafe, providing no overcurrent protection whatsoever, grossly undersized conductors for 50 amps (No. 10 instead of the required No. 6), and no GFCI protection. I don't understand how anybody could sell such a thing in good conscience. That is why I created my own rig, at no small expense!

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1

Last week at the big farmer's market, I was getting ready to unload. This particular market takes place on a weeknight from 4-8 p.m., and is on a main city street, which is closed off to regular traffic from 3:15 until it's time to pack up and go home. It's always a bit of a zoo getting in and out of there, and if you need two vehicles, as we do, it can be a bit of a problem figuring out where to put the second vehicle while you're unloading it.

It just so happened that the vendors directly adjacent to my wife were already there when we got there, but the spots across the street were completely vacant. I figured I'd just pull over there, dump everything out of the trailer, and get the extra car and trailer out of there. Wouldn't you know it, just as soon as I got the tailgate off the trailer, this guy in a pickup rolls up and slows down. I gestured to him in the way of asking if he needed me to move, I figured I was in his spot. It turns out that wasn't the case at all. I'm guess he actually was another vendor somewhere, or he shouldn't have been allowed in there, but he stopped, rolled down his window, and asked, "Are those high heels?" My first reaction was, "What a stupid question!" But I didn't say that. I paused just a beat, and said, "Actually, these are low heels for me, but as you can see, I've a lot of heavy stuff to unload. They're more practical."

He also paused a beat, raised his right hand, and I could recognize by his body language that he wanted me to high-five him. I did so, and he said, "That's awesome, man!" and drove off. I really do not know what that encounter was really all about, perhaps I shall run into the same man this week. In any case, I soon forgot about it and went about my business. I wasn't even sure if it was worth a mention here, but it's kind of a slow week, so I figured what the heck.

In case you're wondering, I was wearing the following shoes, which I consider to be my "low heels." I've shown you my super low heels for the farmer's market on the grass, these are my standard go-tos for the street farmer's market. I was wearing them with some light brown (not tan or khaki) dressier shorts. By dressier, I mean that the back pockets are concealed, chino style. They are not super tight, but they are definitely on the short side. I suppose I shall have to take a picture someday. Not today.

CalvadosSide.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Last week at the big farmer's market, I was getting ready to unload. This particular market takes place on a weeknight from 4-8 p.m., and is on a main city street, which is closed off to regular traffic from 3:15 until it's time to pack up and go home. It's always a bit of a zoo getting in and out of there, and if you need two vehicles, as we do, it can be a bit of a problem figuring out where to put the second vehicle while you're unloading it.

It just so happened that the vendors directly adjacent to my wife were already there when we got there, but the spots across the street were completely vacant. I figured I'd just pull over there, dump everything out of the trailer, and get the extra car and trailer out of there. Wouldn't you know it, just as soon as I got the tailgate off the trailer, this guy in a pickup rolls up and slows down. I gestured to him in the way of asking if he needed me to move, I figured I was in his spot. It turns out that wasn't the case at all. I'm guess he actually was another vendor somewhere, or he shouldn't have been allowed in there, but he stopped, rolled down his window, and asked, "Are those high heels?" My first reaction was, "What a stupid question!" But I didn't say that. I paused just a beat, and said, "Actually, these are low heels for me, but as you can see, I've a lot of heavy stuff to unload. They're more practical."

He also paused a beat, raised his right hand, and I could recognize by his body language that he wanted me to high-five him. I did so, and he said, "That's awesome, man!" and drove off. I really do not know what that encounter was really all about, perhaps I shall run into the same man this week. In any case, I soon forgot about it and went about my business. I wasn't even sure if it was worth a mention here, but it's kind of a slow week, so I figured what the heck.

In case you're wondering, I was wearing the following shoes, which I consider to be my "low heels." I've shown you my super low heels for the farmer's market on the grass, these are my standard go-tos for the street farmer's market. I was wearing them with some light brown (not tan or khaki) dressier shorts. By dressier, I mean that the back pockets are concealed, chino style. They are not super tight, but they are definitely on the short side. I suppose I shall have to take a picture someday. Not today.

CalvadosSide.jpg

I'd take at face value. I expect he has no reservations about it and understands the comfort you have with yourself to be or wear what you want and it's his way of showing admiration.

I have had similar experiences,  althought not so overtly. 

• Like 1

Nice experience you had.  It is good to get out in high heels.  I do quite often, and it has been a long time since anyone has said anything, and that's fine with me.  Other than the infrequent "walk a mile" events, I have yet to ever see another guy wearing high heels.  It is a lonely life - ha ha, but I love it.  Smile and have fun...  sf

• Like 3

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

13 hours ago, SF said:

Nice experience you had.  It is good to get out in high heels.  I do quite often, and it has been a long time since anyone has said anything, and that's fine with me.  Other than the infrequent "walk a mile" events, I have yet to ever see another guy wearing high heels.  It is a lonely life - ha ha, but I love it.  Smile and have fun...  sf

It's lonely but not unexpected. SF, don't take it wrong way, but you wear heels, not high heels.

Love the news lately out of. Ukraine, women marching in high heels. Not really, high is over 3 inches and really that depends on foot size. I would like to define high as any shoe with 40 or more degrees slope,  i.e. foot length independent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

It's lonely but not unexpected. SF, don't take it wrong way, but you wear heels, not high heels.

Love the news lately out of. Ukraine, women marching in high heels. Not really, high is over 3 inches and really that depends on foot size. I would like to define high as any shoe with 40 or more degrees slope,  i.e. foot length independent. 

5 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

You’re right. 40/45 degrees is the minimum to be in the high heel range. Less is just heel. 

I have no idea what the degrees of my shoes were, so I did a little math. The ones pictured above, which are an effective 3 inch heel, put me at 27º. To get 40º, I'd need an effective 4 1/8 inch heel. To get 45º, I need about 4 5/8 inches, which is really pushing it for me. I did this figuring that the distance from the ball of my foot to my heel is pretty darn near 6.5 inches.

Speaking of high heels, I think my patience has finally paid off, and I'm rather glad of it, considering the money I have spent on these silly shoes. You may recall that I bought these D & G mules some time ago. They came all the way from Russia. All the cool shoes are in Russia, it seems. I wasn't disappointed when I got them, but they were a little tight. OK, a lot tight. But, after spending over 100 bucks on acquiring them, I wasn't going to give up so easily. I put them in the shoe stretcher, very gently and gradually, and got to where I could slip them on in less than five minutes, and without soaking my feet in ice water first. When I got them to where they would fit well enough, I then realized two more problems: 1) I couldn't really walk in them, and 2) even if I could walk in them, the stupidly thin leather sole looked as though it would last about 500 meters.

I am happy to report that I have solved both problems, one by throwing money at the problem (sole protectors), and the other by simple practice. I actually took these for a spin in public for the first time yesterday, to the grocery store. Not only did I not feel particularly self conscious, I also found them to be considerably more comfortable than I expected, as I continued wearing them for some time after I returned home.

D&GDenimSole.jpg

D&GDenimTop.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I have no idea what the degrees of my shoes were, so I did a little math. The ones pictured above, which are an effective 3 inch heel, put me at 27º. To get 40º, I'd need an effective 4 1/8 inch heel. To get 45º, I need about 4 5/8 inches, which is really pushing it for me. I did this figuring that the distance from the ball of my foot to my heel is pretty darn near 6.5 inches.

Speaking of high heels, I think my patience has finally paid off, and I'm rather glad of it, considering the money I have spent on these silly shoes. You may recall that I bought these D & G mules some time ago. They came all the way from Russia. All the cool shoes are in Russia, it seems. I wasn't disappointed when I got them, but they were a little tight. OK, a lot tight. But, after spending over 100 bucks on acquiring them, I wasn't going to give up so easily. I put them in the shoe stretcher, very gently and gradually, and got to where I could slip them on in less than five minutes, and without soaking my feet in ice water first. When I got them to where they would fit well enough, I then realized two more problems: 1) I couldn't really walk in them, and 2) even if I could walk in them, the stupidly thin leather sole looked as though it would last about 500 meters.

I am happy to report that I have solved both problems, one by throwing money at the problem (sole protectors), and the other by simple practice. I actually took these for a spin in public for the first time yesterday, to the grocery store. Not only did I not feel particularly self conscious, I also found them to be considerably more comfortable than I expected, as I continued wearing them for some time after I returned home.

D&GDenimSole.jpg

D&GDenimTop.jpg

I would suggest that you wear plenty of high heels, these lovely mules included. This pair pictured is one of two pair I wear at my desk at work, yess coworkers are aware, and as seen the incline is between 50 to 60 degrees. The heel height is right at 5 inches. On my size 10 shoe that may be about 4.75 on your size 8, I'm a bit jealous. I pulled 40 degrees out of air, but the angle is based more on the triangle from the ball of your foot to your heel an back down to the floor. For me a 40 degree angle from the ball of foot to my heel is about 4.2 inches based on 5 inch length.

20210708_092512_resized.jpg

• Like 4

Another urban farmer's market last night. Boy, these farmer's markets sure can take over a person's life. It seems that's all I talk about anymore, but it's by far my biggest exposure these days, heel-wise. I decided to up my game a little bit, and I wore some Diane von Furstenberg wedges, which might not be truly high, but they come in at 35º, with a 4 3/4" heel and 1" platform. I haven't worn them a whole lot, partially because they're yellow, or at least the dominant color is yellow. What do you wear yellow shoes with, especially when you're a guy? The other reason I haven't worn them much is because they're wedges, and we'll get to that in a moment.

I paired them with black Talbot's shorts, which are, like last week, quite a bit more on the tailored side than denim. These shorts say Talbot's Perfect Short on the inside. I disagree with that assessment. For one thing, they are too long and too loose, despite being a size 4P. Must be size inflation, I'm awfully sure I'm not a size 2. I suppose they are meant to be that way, and I suppose my wife probably thinks they look more dignified than what I am usually wont to wear. Inseam is 6", and they are fairly generously cut. I mean, for a size 4. In other words, Mom shorts. The waist, however, is indeed perfect for me. I added a white t-shirt with subtle peach colored stripes and a black belt. I got zero comments and few looks.

I hate to return to this bitch, but after spending an entire evening on display, I dislike wedges. To me they have but one advantage, and that is that you can walk on soft ground with them more easily than shoes with a separate heel. Otherwise, I don't really like the way they look, and I don't like the way they walk. I tried every TikTok girl trick that I know, and I still clomped around, at least from my own perspective, which I realize by nature is flawed.

I swore I was going to take pictures, but when you are in there in the heat of the moment, sometimes you forget about these things, so I will have to provide my file photo of the shoes.

DvFylwedgeside.jpg

DvFylwedgetop.jpg

Mirose,

When I wear my yellow slides , yellow heels or flats, I pair them up with black shorts, capris or caprl  leggings always in black. Then I ad a yellow polo to compliment the ensemble. You can't go wrong with a yellow and black combo.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1