The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

On 6/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, Cali said:

She had a 1 year on her back. But she thought the wedges were cute.  The open air market takes place in the parking lot of a old shopping complex and the pavement is in very bad shape.  I rarely see anybody else in any heels there.

Somehow I doubt her comment was confined to the wearing of heels at said market.  However, the duties required as the mother of a young child could definitely curtail the heel height of a Mom's shoes.  Chasing a toddler is better left to flats.

On 6/12/2021 at 10:17 PM, mlroseplant said:

Got my picture taken at my local hardware store today
What say you? 

That was impolite for sure.

But let me wander of course for a bit. When i take pictures of my wife in high heels we are often joined by other who take pictures of this session too, at least 90% without asking. But my wife enjoys it and even poses for them, i guess for a female it comes as a compliment and not as a moment of weirdness.

1700738890_P1100011a_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.0c786557d9b0ec06a7d90f8ecfffdade.JPG

• Like 1

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

2 hours ago, Isolathor said:

But let me wander of course for a bit. When i take pictures of my wife in high heels we are often joined by other who take pictures of this session too, at least 90% without asking. But my wife enjoys it and even poses for them, i guess for a female it comes as a compliment and not as a moment of weirdness.

I think that you and your wife are being very generous to treat a stranger's impromptu photography as a compliment, even if you do both enjoy it.   Most women (unless obviously posing or modelling) would surely treat such a 'liberty' as weird or borderline perverted, especially if they were alone?   I suppose in your wife's case she is indeed clearly posing so there is an implied invitation to admire and capture on film, with or without permission.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Isolathor said:

1700738890_P1100011a_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.0c786557d9b0ec06a7d90f8ecfffdade.JPG

Obviously quite a different situation than me buying bolts at the hardware store, but I do find it a bit strange, nevertheless. Pre-pandemic, my wife used to have me take a number of pictures of her after church on Sunday morning, to show off whatever outfit she was wearing that week. I cannot possibly imagine somebody approaching us during this time to start snapping pictures. Even if they asked, it would be a little weird. Thinking further on the subject, if such a thing were to ever happen, my wife would probably enjoy it, because then she would get to beat me over the head with it. "Anh yêu! See! I am more beautiful than you think I am." I am sorry I cannot convey vocal tone or accent for comic effect.

On 6/13/2021 at 7:57 AM, p1ng74 said:

Yes we have the same social norm of having friendly conversation at the checkout line here, and I have lost count the number of times we have talked about my boots.  But I also suppose Texans have an appreciation for cowboy boots.  

It’s a shame the man behind you wouldn’t make contact, because he missed out.  If you are as cool in person as you are online, I think he would have found you friendly and relatively normal, even if you are wearing heels.  He could have had a good conversation, rather than creep with this camera phone.  Every time this happens, it is a small missed opportunity to normalize heel wearing a little.  And every time you have a more normal interaction with someone in line, while wearing heels, it makes a contribution to normalizing heel wearing, even if the conversation has nothing to do with shoes.  

You will find, like Brad Paisley once sang, that I am so much cooler online.

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heelers : Well here we go again . What is the complaint ? Any man ( or woman ) 5a19853714639_DSCF5277(3).thumb.JPG.32bd0ce44f216f1602b6ac84f0dc376b.JPGIMG_0009.thumb.JPG.8ba778b989fccf983546ccb83a13f839.JPGwho goes out in public in high heels is subject to eventually be seen . You put your selves in that position . You are asking for it and then you bitch when your photographed . What is your major malfunction ? Unless your picture is used my someone for illegal purposes the public has the rite of freedom .  Just like you .   Mike

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spikesmike said:

Heelers : Well here we go again . What is the complaint ? Any man ( or woman ) who goes out in public in high heels is subject to eventually be seen . You put your selves in that position . You are asking for it and then you bitch when your photographed . What is your major malfunction ? Unless your picture is used my someone for illegal purposes the public has the rite of freedom .  Just like you .   Mike

I think the issue is not that the picture was taken, but rather the unfriendly behaviour following it.  Yes, if I am comfortable expressing myself by wearing the heels in public among strangers then at some point I should also be comfortable talking about them and even letting people take pictures of them.  The problem here is, this person seemed to snap a photo and then took a very unfriendly stance towards mlrose. 

I admit that I am a bit camera phone happy when it comes to certain things that I see in public (not heels, but I sometimes snap a photo of a rare car or something else interesting to me.)  I'm glad mlrose shared this interaction as it is a good reminder to me on social norms.  If I have the guts to take a photo, I better also have the guts to say hi, and try to be friendly, and offer some positive social interaction through it.  

1 hour ago, spikesmike said:

Heelers : Well here we go again . What is the complaint ? Any man ( or woman ) 5a19853714639_DSCF5277(3).thumb.JPG.32bd0ce44f216f1602b6ac84f0dc376b.JPGIMG_0009.thumb.JPG.8ba778b989fccf983546ccb83a13f839.JPGwho goes out in public in high heels is subject to eventually be seen . You put your selves in that position . You are asking for it and then you bitch when your photographed . What is your major malfunction ? Unless your picture is used my someone for illegal purposes the public has the rite of freedom .  Just like you .   Mike

Mike 11 yrs since you snapped that lower picture. You still have those pleaser boots?

• Like 1

JKrenzer : About my boots . OH hell yes, and the spurs too . I wear them quite often during the winter along with several other pair of boots. These above boots are in perfect shape as well as the eight (8) other pair of spurs I own .  Mike59a05bd77b768_DSCF5220(1).thumb.JPG.1204b095420cc504643926a6731a2222.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spikesmike said:

JKrenzer : About my boots . OH hell yes, and the spurs too . I wear them quite often during the winter along with several other pair of boots. These above boots are in perfect shape as well as the eight (8) other pair of spurs I own .  Mike59a05bd77b768_DSCF5220(1).thumb.JPG.1204b095420cc504643926a6731a2222.JPG

Hey Mike was asking about the single sole boots. 

22 hours ago, Puffer said:

I suppose in your wife's case she is indeed clearly posing so there is an implied invitation to admire and capture on film, with or without permission.

22 hours ago, Shyheels said:

They might even think it is some kind of street fashion shoot.

That of course is a reality, she is clearly posing for the pictures. However, it only happens when we are shooting high heels. If she is wearing anything with a heel less than 4" (this is an example:

2105581143_P7010310a_Bildgrendern.thumb.JPG.182106de4e91098a86f9ab1c6830dcbf.JPG)

nobody cares even when she is posing.

There must be a special interest in high heels, mostly from men. Also the heels must be thin, chunkier heels don´t get that much attention. 😁

Edited by Isolathor
added text

There is also an association with high stiletto heels, models and glamour. Not that many women wear high stiletto heels these days so when you see one who is, and who is obviously posing, it would not take a great leap of imagination for a passer-by to think this was some kind of a magazine fashion shoot.  And you wife could easily pass for a model.

• Like 2

It is interesting that one simple event would spark such a wide variety of opinions, ranging from "Get over it" to "I wonder what the greater implications for societal norms are?" Honestly, it wasn't that big of a deal, but it did give me something to write about, didn't it?

The one thing that nobody has brought up which was actually one of my greatest concerns at the time is how did the photo come out, if indeed one was even taken? If the purpose of the photo was to send it around to friends and make fun of me, then I suppose it doesn't matter how the photo turned out, as long as it showed all the necessary elements: The heels and making it clear that I'm a man. And possibly my shorts. However, even the People of Walmart type photos have to be of a certain quality to be successful.

Having taken a number of candid photographs over the years, it is extremely difficult to get a good one without some cooperation of the person being photographed, especially heel photographs. I am specifically thinking of years past in Vietnam where I was trying to give members of this forum an idea about Vietnamese street fashion and heel wearing habits. I never had a street photo turn out very well, as least not to show what I wanted to show. I am genuinely curious to know if our putative photographer in the instant case got what he wanted, or if he was rather disappointed and the photo is deleted now.

• Like 1

A very important point for heelsphotography is how low your camera was when a photo is taken. If the man behind you did not hold the camera/phone low the picture itself may be lame.

JKrenzer : The single sole high heels in this photo are oxfords . Just like any other shoe, but with a 5 " heel . All of my heels are in perfect shape . I have so many high heel shoes I rotate wearing them so as not to wear out . Yes I still have them . IMG_0009.thumb.JPG.8ba778b989fccf983546ccb83a13f839.JPG   Mike 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

However, even the People of Walmart type photos have to be of a certain quality to be successful.

Lol, since I have worn heels in Walmart I had to go check if someone had put me up there, and generally if there are any pictures of guys in heels.  There are a few:

https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/get-to-steppin/

• Like 2

There's still time SF to get you pic taken.  Go to Walmart and strike a pose by the beer display and wait.  Someone will take you pic, especially in O.C.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I was trying to give members of this forum an idea about Vietnamese street fashion and heel wearing habits. I never had a street photo turn out very well, as least not to show what I wanted to show. 

Anyway, it would be kind of pointless in this forum, because the streeetshot section isn´t frequented that much and there is almost no interaction. I stopped posting there, the section is simply not alive anymore. 🥺

8 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Lol, since I have worn heels in Walmart I had to go check if someone had put me up there, and generally if there are any pictures of guys in heels.  There are a few:

https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/get-to-steppin/

I couldn't resist a further search.   This one caught my eye; anyone we know?    (I liked the reference elsewhere to such oddball customers being called 'Walmartians'!)

And, given that this is Kentucky, I think we may know who this is:

3521.jpg

Edited by Puffer
  • Like 1

Anyway, it would be kind of pointless in this forum, because the streeetshot section isn´t frequented that much and there is almost no interaction. I stopped posting there, the section is simply not alive anymore. 🥺

I never posted anything in the Streetshot section, it was on here. You'd have to scroll back a few dozen pages to find it. Evidently, the whole streetshot thing is big in China, albeit with a good deal of cooperation from the photograph-ees. TikTok/Douyin is a complete fantasy world, though. What I see with my own eyes in the real world does not match up in the least with what you see on social media. Nevertheless, I have learned a thing or two about what makes a nice walk from Douyin girls, so it hasn't been a complete waste of time.

18 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Evidently, the whole streetshot thing is big in China, ...

It has been popular (that means streetshots of high heels) in the UK and Germany too, but that was at least 5 years ago. The sites are all gone by now, together with most of the forums with the high heels theme.

It has been popular (that means streetshots of high heels) in the UK and Germany too, but that was at least 5 years ago. The sites are all gone by now, together with most of the forums with the high heels theme.

I suppose things come and go with time, which is why you are here! We seem to be relatively eternal for the internet world. It's crazy, it's going to be 20 years very soon, and more than 20 if you count the site that this one grew out of.

In other news, I have largely been wearing shorter heels this summer. I am doing this for two reasons. One, because as many of you know, I went on a little spree last spring and bought several pairs of Söfft mid heels for reasons unknown even to me. I now feel like I need to wear them. Two, because I am trying to reinvent my walk, and it seems much easier to do in shorter heels. I guess we can add reason Three, it temporarily absolves me of guilt for still not being able to walk in several pairs of shoes I bought in the last year.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone needs to be apologetic for wearing "shorter heels".  For one thing, it is the current trend for footwear.  Second, not all of us here follow the line of higher is better.  Enjoy what you wear!

• Like 2

I agree with RonC.  While I really enjoy wearing my heels, my interest lies with wearing girls shoes.  I rarely wear flats even around the house,  I enjoy wearing wedge heel sandals, boots as well as loafers.  

• Like 2

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

You can take photos of people in public. But you must not publish the photo. To publish a photo, you must have the consent of the person being photographed, or you must edit the photo so that the person cannot be identified.