The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

3 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Have her get you 40's style pin up heels. Chunkier heels, round toes and way higher than people think heels, 4 plus inches. They were dress shoes after all.

Haha, actually, she was showing me heels she is thinking of buying for herself, which is kind of exciting given that she never wears heels:

Brown vintage shoes in suede - 40s vintage style pumps – memery

She won't be getting them for me though.  

My 12 year old had a band concert last week. It was much better than I expected, especially considering that the entire band had only rehearsed all together once because of pandemic restrictions. But you didn't come here to hear about a Middle School band concert. You came here to hear about the State of Heels amongst young people.

I can report that I was the only male, young or old, wearing heels at the concert. No big surprise there. They made the kids dress up a little bit, but parents apparently did not get the hint. No heels of any appreciable height among the parents. I guess there were about 5 girls out of the whole band (maybe 100 kids, so 50 girls) who wore what you could call "heels." 3 of those were very, very short heels. Which is fine, they're 12. The girl in the silver heeled sandals I mentioned a couple of months ago returned with her silver heels. Evidently she plays the clarinet.

And then there was another girl who had on some rather high black suede platform wedge pumps. It's hard to tell from a distance, but I would guesstimate 4 inch heel, 1 inch platform. Which is a serious heel, but this particular girl should probably wait to wear heels until she's older. It was not a pretty sight. Not because she was particularly clumsy, but she was very childlike in her presence, and heels are kind of an adult thing. It just did not look right, for some reason.

So, you know, heels aren't completely dead, which is good I guess.

I would have to agree with you.  Those do not sound appropriate for a 12 year old.  I wonder if it was the girl that wants to wear them or a parental influence.  

I violated one of my most important rules yesterday, which is "Never wear a pair of new shoes out in public without sort of vetting them first." But I think I got by with it, because most of the learning curve was seen by nobody. I don't know what it is about these Miu Miu sandals, but they're a little different to walk in. Can't really put my finger on it, but by the end of church, I had got used to whatever it is, thankfully.

I tried out the boot cut style pants again, just to see, and I think this is coming back into style. I do not think I will ever wear that shirt again. It doesn't seem to suit me, fit-wise, and it's not worth having it altered. And I should have moved that transmission funnel before taking this picture, but oh well. It's not like y'all are picky or anything.

MiuMiuTanSide.jpg

MiuMiuTan.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I violated one of my most important rules yesterday, which is "Never wear a pair of new shoes out in public without sort of vetting them first." But I think I got by with it, because most of the learning curve was seen by nobody. I don't know what it is about these Miu Miu sandals, but they're a little different to walk in. Can't really put my finger on it, but by the end of church, I had got used to whatever it is, thankfully.

I tried out the boot cut style pants again, just to see, and I think this is coming back into style. I do not think I will ever wear that shirt again. It doesn't seem to suit me, fit-wise, and it's not worth having it altered. And I should have moved that transmission funnel before taking this picture, but oh well. It's not like y'all are picky or anything.

MiuMiuTanSide.jpg

MiuMiuTan.jpg

Pretty steep, good looking shoes. Excellent choice, your church is a rare but great entity. True Christian values, full acceptance.

That funnel on the ground, not a party funnel i hope ;-)

Yeah I like the flare on those pants too.  Half the time I can't find the funnel when I need it.  I'd leave it in the shot so I can remember where I put it last :)  

Edited by p1ng74

19 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Pretty steep, good looking shoes. Excellent choice, your church is a rare but great entity. True Christian values, full acceptance.

That funnel on the ground, not a party funnel i hope ;-)

11 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Yeah I like the flare on those pants too.  Half the time I can't find the funnel when I need it.  I'd leave it in the shot so I can remember where I put it last :)  

The funnel is and has been used for its intended purpose, though the reason why it happens to be laying on the ground in the instant situation is that my son used it to put fuel in his latest acquisition, an old Maytag washing machine engine, which has a tiny, tiny fuel filler opening.

I really do like those pants, though I don't wear them often. I think the new style of flared pants seems to be somewhat shorter than it used to be. Since covering up my heels is not in my thoughts at all anymore, I might have to experiment with that a little bit. On this particular morning, I did not have any trouble with my pant legs catching on the backs of my shoes. That used to drive me crazy. I can remember the (women's) style of a number of years gone by was to have your pants so long that all you could see sticking out the bottom was just a tiny pin of stiletto, which was simultaneously alluring and frustrating. And it ruined a lot of pants in the real world.

Edited by mlroseplant

7 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

The funnel is and has been used for its intended purpose, though the reason why it happens to be laying on the ground in the instant situation is that my son used it to put fuel in his latest acquisition, an old Maytag washing machine engine, which has a tiny, tiny fuel filler opening.

Now that is a relic, and I am assuming that it runs if you are fueling it.  I have never seen one in person, and I imagine it to be quite fascinating to run!  

On 5/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, p1ng74 said:

Now that is a relic, and I am assuming that it runs if you are fueling it.  I have never seen one in person, and I imagine it to be quite fascinating to run!  

Perhaps they are more numerous here because Iowa is (or was) the home of Maytag. They are unusual to see in everyday life, but I wouldn't call them rare yet, in the way that a Ford flathead V-8 is not rare. It was not difficult to get running, according to my son (I had little to do with the whole affair), just dirty points. It doesn't start easily, but it does run. It came with a gasket set, which it needs. I can upload a video to Youtube if you like.

On 5/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, p1ng74 said:

Here is a video of it running. My son did some work on it since my first posting. The muffler is not stock. But it helps our relations with the neighbors!

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1

Soooo.  .  . it has been an interesting Memorial Day weekend. My two sons took a road trip and broke down on the highway. I got an unsolicited compliment about my heels while out and about. I got a surprise visit from a young lady who has been featured in this thread before. And I learned something about my marriage from said young lady. After all, she shares a common mother tongue with my wife, and girls will talk. Yep, as usual, my wife cut off my shoes in this picture. That was not an accident.

Oh yeah, and I fell down and cut my damn forehead. That about rounds out the weekend!

Hang2021.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant

13 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Yep, as usual, my wife cut off my shoes in this picture. That was not an accident.

Oh yeah, and I fell down and cut my damn forehead. That about rounds out the weekend!

And the heels in the Maytag video were not an accident either :)  Glad you made it home safe it sound hopefully, despite the bumps along the way.

On 6/1/2021 at 5:25 AM, mlroseplant said:

Oh yeah, and I fell down and cut my damn forehead.

Hopefully it was not because of heels?  That would just give your wife more reasons to tell you that your heels are not great!

I have actual news. I went out for the first time in nearly a year and a half to see some live music. My first thought is that I need to up my game, because man, I suck, musically. My second thought is that I worried way too much about what was going to happen, I tortured myself about wearing shorts and high heels to the venue (a small bar in a non-suburban part of Des Moines). I finally wound up sort of compromising and I wore my "practical" shoes instead of what my first instinct was. Whatever. I guess I'm beyond wearing the highest heels everywhere, all the time. And I think they were pretty cute! A couple of women at the venue, outside the bar where conversation could actually take place, seemed to think so. Both of these women were wearing heels, and one of them was wearing heels AND really short shorts. No way! Some of you don't think that happens anymore. I'm here to tell you that it happened, right here in Central Iowa. Unfortunately, I didn't have the wherewithal to ask for photographic evidence, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

After discussing our outfits for a while, one of the women, certainly Under The Influence, got right up in my face, and asked me, "Is that a mask you have in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" I actually pulled a mask out of my pocket, put it on, and said, "Both!", slapped her in the rump, and walked away. It's one of the most awesome things I've ever done in my life!

Not an actual picture of the actual night, but images of the rather tame shoes I wore and a reasonable facsimile of my OOTN, albeit with different shoes.

SöfftWedgesShorts.jpg

SöfftCorkSide.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, RonC said:

Nice wearable sandals.  I must say I am a bit surprised with the slap on the rump!  Wouldn't have thought that was you!  lol.

I don't think it WAS me. I'm not really sure WHO that was. Like my coworker said right after, "Never underestimate The Squirrel."

• Haha 1

Looks like you had a good Memorial Day weekend as well as other adventures. We got back to Wisconsin on 6 May after 6 months in Arizona and visited Yellowstone and Glacier Nat'l Parks on the way back. Having been working in our yard I have been watering flowers and small plants every day as if I were back in Yuma. It's so dry here. Then I remembered your comment  about how this part of the country already had irrigation systems in place. It's called rain. Problem is that system has been off for a while!  Your son has grown taller and his mechanical ability has grown wider since I last saw him. It's really remarkable. You may need another outbuilding for future projects! It's nice to finally be entering stores and the like without a mask. It's not like that everywhere though. Conversations with my dad's family in Quebec shows they had some of the most restrictive procedures anywhere in North America. Here's hoping for normal times ahead. Laissez le bon temps ruouler! HinH 

4 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Looks like you had a good Memorial Day weekend as well as other adventures. We got back to Wisconsin on 6 May after 6 months in Arizona and visited Yellowstone and Glacier Nat'l Parks on the way back. Having been working in our yard I have been watering flowers and small plants every day as if I were back in Yuma. It's so dry here. Then I remembered your comment  about how this part of the country already had irrigation systems in place. It's called rain. Problem is that system has been off for a while!  Your son has grown taller and his mechanical ability has grown wider since I last saw him. It's really remarkable. You may need another outbuilding for future projects! It's nice to finally be entering stores and the like without a mask. It's not like that everywhere though. Conversations with my dad's family in Quebec shows they had some of the most restrictive procedures anywhere in North America. Here's hoping for normal times ahead. Laissez le bon temps ruouler! HinH 

Or we might just need to get rid of some damn mowers! We have actually talked about building a shop in the back where that clump of trees now stands. However, due to the price of building materials as of late.  .  . eh, I'm think I'm going to wait on that one.

It is quite strange to be out and about without a mask, but I think I look better with one! Vietnam and Korea sound like they're about the same way as Canada. Mandatory masks for everything still.

Welcome back to the forum, HiH, and if you ever make it out this way, feel free to stop by!

Got my picture taken at my local hardware store today by a man about my age or maybe a little bit older. He obviously forgot to silence the fake SLR shutter sound on his phone, and he refused to make eye contact with me after I noticed the sound.  It did not strike any bit of panic in me like it would have back in the old days, but rather, I wanted to say to him that it was rather impolite to snap a furtive photo, and I was genuinely curious to see what he had, and then offer suggestions for improvement. However, I did nothing, and continued my transaction with a cashier I’ve known for years. 

I’m of two minds about this. On one hand, I really don’t give a shit. But on the other hand, there’s a golden band to remind me of someone who would not understand. Ah....sorry.....I forgot where I was for a moment. But on the other hand, I almost wish I had grabbed this situation as a teachable moment. What say you? For what it’s worth, I was wearing shorts and high heels quite similar to countless previous photos on this thread. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Got my picture taken at my local hardware store today by a man about my age or maybe a little bit older. He obviously forgot to silence the fake SLR shutter sound on his phone, and he refused to make eye contact with me after I noticed the sound.  It did not strike any bit of panic in me like it would have back in the old days, but rather, I wanted to say to him that it was rather impolite to snap a furtive photo, and I was genuinely curious to see what he had, and then offer suggestions for improvement. However, I did nothing, and continued my transaction with a cashier I’ve known for years. 

I’m of two minds about this. On one hand, I really don’t give a shit. But on the other hand, there’s a golden band to remind me of someone who would not understand. Ah....sorry.....I forgot where I was for a moment. But on the other hand, I almost wish I had grabbed this situation as a teachable moment. What say you? For what it’s worth, I was wearing shorts and high heels quite similar to countless previous photos on this thread. 

It's happened to me several times. You're right, it's rude but in todays society that doesn't mean much anymore. Honestly I like making a dull person's day. No matter what they think is not relevant to me and to think how little must be going on for these people kind of amuses me. At least that's my thought on this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

It has only happened to me once when I noticed my pic being taken (she had the flash on). Like you i dont care, i'm in public doing something that is not considered average so i have no expectations of privacy. Still, it is somewhat rude to do that, but i have no intentions of confronting anyone about it. I have had a young lady come up to me and ask if she could take my picture. I agreed & pulled up my pant leg so my heels were clear to see. She was nice about it, & it kinda made my day. I would never have a pretty girl ever ask to take my picture otherwise...Used to be older folks were the ones most agog about my look, but these days most everyone is accepting about it, as i have had some enjoyable conversations with all age groups lately...

• Like 3

Did you literally catch him taking the photo of you, or did you just hear the click of the photo app?  Even if you just heard the sound, I would agree with you that there is a very high likelihood that he was snapping a photo of your heels, especially if he was avoiding you afterward.  But I would hate to falsely accuse someone, so I am with you, I’d just move on.

For what it is worth, I can’t imagine a situation where I would be offended by a stranger taking my picture.  People can have many reasons for taking your picture, ranging from mere curiosity to admiration, and I might even be flattered by it.  But I also think that the behavior of sneakily taking a photo of someone without having the guts to make eye contact and say hi to them can be creepy, depending on who you are and who this comes from, and people really shouldn’t be so socially awkward if they have good intentions.  

• Like 1

I rather agree that taking a photo without 'permission' may be considered intrusive, if not exactly rude, although of course there is nothing unlawful or illegal about it, at least in the UK.   But the idea of making more than mild eye-contact with a stranger, let alone saying 'hi', would be anathema to many if not most UK citizens.   I guess that a furtive glance and/or pic would be the norm here, with no words spoken.

'Upskirting' has recently become a criminal offence here; perhaps 'downfooting' should be similarly treated!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Did you literally catch him taking the photo of you, or did you just hear the click of the photo app?  Even if you just heard the sound, I would agree with you that there is a very high likelihood that he was snapping a photo of your heels, especially if he was avoiding you afterward.  But I would hate to falsely accuse someone, so I am with you, I’d just move on.

For what it is worth, I can’t imagine a situation where I would be offended by a stranger taking my picture.  People can have many reasons for taking your picture, ranging from mere curiosity to admiration, and I might even be flattered by it.  But I also think that the behavior of sneakily taking a photo of someone without having the guts to make eye contact and say hi to them can be creepy, depending on who you are and who this comes from, and people really shouldn’t be so socially awkward if they have good intentions.  

18 minutes ago, Puffer said:

I rather agree that taking a photo without 'permission' may be considered intrusive, if not exactly rude, although of course there is nothing unlawful or illegal about it, at least in the UK.   But the idea of making more than mild eye-contact with a stranger, let alone saying 'hi', would be anathema to many if not most UK citizens.   I guess that a furtive glance and/or pic would be the norm here, with no words spoken.

'Upskirting' has recently become a criminal offence here; perhaps 'downfooting' should be similarly treated!

Evidently, there are two nearly opposite norms of social behavior at work here. Where I'm from, if two strangers meet each other on the street, it is very normal if not expected that they will acknowledge the other verbally and with some form of eye contact. It's becoming somewhat less that way as the years go by, but still more likely than not. Of course, that's a rural vs. urban thing. I certainly would not expect someone in Chicago to return my salutation, but they very well might. Or they might shoot me, one. 😂

Obviously, it depends upon the venue. You're not going to greet everybody in a crowded supermarket, but you might strike up a conversation with a stranger in line behind you. That was the situation with our putative photographer, he was the next person in line behind me as I was purchasing my two stainless steel bolts and stop nuts for use in mounting a license plate to my trailer. It just seemed strange that he was "distracted" stuffing his phone back into his pocket at a moment when we should have been saying, "Sure is hot out for being the first part of June," or some such thing.

@chesterx, I cannot recall if someone has ever asked to take a picture of my shoes. I know I've been asked for other reasons several times, but I don't think anyone specifically wanted the shoes. If they ever did, I almost guarantee it involved alcohol. The whole incident is really no big deal, but it gave me something to write about, and y'all something to reply to. It's been awfully quiet around here lately.

• Like 2

Yes we have the same social norm of having friendly conversation at the checkout line here, and I have lost count the number of times we have talked about my boots.  But I also suppose Texans have an appreciation for cowboy boots.  

It’s a shame the man behind you wouldn’t make contact, because he missed out.  If you are as cool in person as you are online, I think he would have found you friendly and relatively normal, even if you are wearing heels.  He could have had a good conversation, rather than creep with this camera phone.  Every time this happens, it is a small missed opportunity to normalize heel wearing a little.  And every time you have a more normal interaction with someone in line, while wearing heels, it makes a contribution to normalizing heel wearing, even if the conversation has nothing to do with shoes.  

• Like 2

Had that conversation with a woman behind me at the open air market this morning.  We were talking in line and she  said "I just saw your wedges, wish I could wear wedges like that."  I take every opportunity I get to show that a man can wear heels and be perfectly normal.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cali said:

We were talking in line and she  said "I just saw your wedges, wish I could wear wedges like that." 

Ahh, the old wish I could wear those line.  I know there are people that could not wear heels, my wife included.  But that line comes out of the mouths of way too many people perfectly capable of wearing them.  I find the statement mostly frustrating, especially coming from a woman.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RonC said:

Ahh, the old wish I could wear those line.  I know there are people that could not wear heels, my wife included.  But that line comes out of the mouths of way too many people perfectly capable of wearing them.  I find the statement mostly frustrating, especially coming from a woman.

She had a 1 year on her back. But she thought the wedges were cute.  The open air market takes place in the parking lot of a old shopping complex and the pavement is in very bad shape.  I rarely see anybody else in any heels there.

Edited by Cali

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Evidently, there are two nearly opposite norms of social behavior at work here. Where I'm from, if two strangers meet each other on the street, it is very normal if not expected that they will acknowledge the other verbally and with some form of eye contact. It's becoming somewhat less that way as the years go by, but still more likely than not. Of course, that's a rural vs. urban thing. I certainly would not expect someone in Chicago to return my salutation, but they very well might. Or they might shoot me, one. 😂

Obviously, it depends upon the venue. You're not going to greet everybody in a crowded supermarket, but you might strike up a conversation with a stranger in line behind you. That was the situation with our putative photographer, he was the next person in line behind me as I was purchasing my two stainless steel bolts and stop nuts for use in mounting a license plate to my trailer. It just seemed strange that he was "distracted" stuffing his phone back into his pocket at a moment when we should have been saying, "Sure is hot out for being the first part of June," or some such thing.

I should perhaps qualify my earlier comments, which reflect usual behaviour in the UK - or at least the more urban areas of the southern half.   Casual encounters between strangers in open areas of a town will rarely produce any acknowledgement, spoken or otherwise.   It is the sign of a 'foreigner' (i.e. someone from the next county but one) that he or she might attempt a greeting, or even a conversation.   Not really true in the country, where a polite 'good morning' or similar is usual.   When on public transport in the south east, speaking to the stranger squashed up close to you in the rush-hour is distinctly frowned upon, unless (perhaps) he has vomited over you or is threatening you with a really sharp knife or a gun.

Only yesterday, strolling casually in the sun towards a supermarket in my town, I was taken aback when a complete stranger gave me a semi-salute and a cheery greeting as he passed.   I immediately assumed that there was something amiss with my appearance - perhaps my fly was open or I had half my breakfast round my face.   (Neither was the case, nor was I wearing heels.)   No, I am not joking - the encounter, harmless though it was, was momentarily unnerving.

When queuing (another popular British pastime) In a shop, or at a bus stop etc, it is not uncommon however to commence or respond to a brief conversation with a fellow detainee.   But it must be strictly restricted to the activity in hand (e.g. the wait for service, the absence of stock, the size of the shop assistant's breasts) or, exceptionally, the prevailing weather.

However, despite all I have just said, the stranger in town (particularly if from overseas) will invariably receive a polite and helpful response to any equally polite comment, question or request for directions that he might make in innocent ignorance of these British conventions.   Welcome to the UK!  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1