The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

HSo far it seemed we are on the same planet @mlroseplant😋😋😋

And happy we are.So we can share so many different opinions.

walking uphill is as difficult as towing a wheelbarrow. In my  days of stupidity I tried that ,wearing my Miguel Jones cow boy boots. Very difficult. 

I still confirm I find easier to walk downhill. Do I have to precise I mean normal slopes we use to find in most cities. 

I may would have to change my mind after a full day walk in the SF heights 

• Like 1

I often wear 3" block heel boots to work. In the warehouse there is a ramp to go from one level to the other. I can not imagine walking up or own this ramp if it were several city blocks long, heck, not sure I could handle one block! Up is probably easier as the tendons in my ankles get a bit of a break. Walking down gives the same tendons and good stretch!

For those of you who complain that I never wear boots, here you go. It didn't kill me after all, though I didn't realize how scrunched up my jeans had gotten from getting in and out of the car several times. That's definitely a downside to knee high boots. Also, I probably need to replace the boots I'm wearing, or at least do some work on them. They're getting rather raggedy looking if you look too closely.

BootsCrinklyJeans.jpg

• Like 9

On 2/16/2021 at 1:25 PM, mlroseplant said:

For those of you who complain that I never wear boots, here you go. It didn't kill me after all, though I didn't realize how scrunched up my jeans had gotten from getting in and out of the car several times. That's definitely a downside to knee high boots. Also, I probably need to replace the boots I'm wearing, or at least do some work on them. They're getting rather raggedy looking if you look too closely.

BootsCrinklyJeans.jpg

Looks great to me. I have that issue sometimes with the jeans. I supposed skinnier jeans or leggings would be better. I have also seen girls tuck their jeans into their socks, maybe that's a quick and easy solution? Anyway, the boots look suits you!

• Like 3

On 2/16/2021 at 7:42 AM, Pierre1961 said:

These boots look more than nice ! Do they have laces .not easy to see the details 

They are only very plain zip up boots, and the leather is beginning to wear off in many places. That is why I said I need to replace them. They are solid, they just don't look very nice close up.

2 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Looks great to me. I have that issue sometimes with the jeans. I supposed skinnier jeans or leggings would be better. I have also seen girls tuck their jeans into their socks, maybe that's a quick and easy solution? Anyway, the boots look suits you!

The other part of the equation is that these boots are really too big for my calves. I would never wear these with leggings because they look ridiculous. Perhaps if I could find a similar pair for slimmer calves, I might wear them more often.

• Like 1

@mlroseplant look into Nine West boots.  I have the opposite issue. I have large calves and can't zip up some boots.  I also have substantial ankles so that is a tight spot too. I wear skinny jeans, in order to minimize binding around my ankles I wear "short" jeans, jeans with a 27 inch inseam.  You can't see the difference in calf-highs or higher boots and the legs doesn't bunch up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

This weekend I "outed" myself to several Vietnamese friends and relatives. I didn't get a terribly negative reaction. Here is one example:

OutingMyselfSnow.jpg

Well done on coming out. Hope it works out well.  That's a cute initial response. How did it continue and what were the other responses?

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 12:31 PM, jeremy1986 said:

Well done on coming out. Hope it works out well.  That's a cute initial response. How did it continue and what were the other responses?

Well, let's put it this way--I targeted my audience fairly narrowly. For example, this Giang is only 14 years old. I do not know if Giang's parents know about my unconventional fashion choices or not. I'm thinking probably not, even though I have spent a fair amount of time talking to them, both in person and online.

Edited by mlroseplant
Re-worded for clarity
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2021 at 6:25 AM, mlroseplant said:

BootsCrinklyJeans.jpg

You look great in jeans and boots!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, pebblesf said:

You look great in jeans and boots!

So people have said, and thank you for saying it as well, but that doesn't mean I have to like it! The weather is definitely warm enough now to break out the sandals again. Only a few bits of snow left. Still, it's not even March yet. Surely, we are due for at least one more heavy, wet snow before Spring is really here. Hopefully, the boots won't accumulate cobwebs this time.

23 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Well, let's put it this way--I targeted my audience fairly narrowly. For example, this Giang is only 14 years old. I do not know if Giang's parents know about my unconventional fashion choices or not. I'm thinking probably not, even though I have spent a fair amount of time talking to them, both in person and online.

Scrolling through the rest of the chat, my 14 year old niece seemed to think it was just fine that I was fascinated with heels, saying "You are far from the only one who loves heels, so why would you care [what other people think]?"

However, just a few sentences later, she said that she does not currently own any high heels, and that she "never will." I didn't respond to that rather bold and probably inaccurate prediction. However, it doesn't bode well for her ever becoming a daily wearer. Mom is a frequent heel wearer, but I've never seen her in anything higher than 3 inches. I get the distinct idea that Mom doesn't really love shoes, but that she does feel the need to dress sharply, and heels are simply part of that equation.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Mom is a frequent heel wearer, but I've never seen her in anything higher than 3 inches. I get the distinct idea that Mom doesn't really love shoes, but that she does feel the need to dress sharply, and heels are simply part of that equation.

I think the problem we heel-admirers face in the prevailing situation is that too few women 'feel the need to dress sharply', even when that would be both normal and expected for either work or leisure.   Not just high-heeled footwear of course but clothing and appearance in general.   Formal has declined to smart-casual and is now regularly declining further to ultra casual (if not plain sloppy).   I can understand those currently working from home not seeing any need or incentive to make an effort and/or putting relaxation or comfort ahead of style, but all too often they let that attitude carry over into the rest of their activity and, once standards slip, they are likely to be abandoned altogether.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

I think the problem we heel-admirers face in the prevailing situation is that too few women 'feel the need to dress sharply', even when that would be both normal and expected for either work or leisure.   Not just high-heeled footwear of course but clothing and appearance in general.   Formal has declined to smart-casual and is now regularly declining further to ultra casual (if not plain sloppy).   I can understand those currently working from home not seeing any need or incentive to make an effort and/or putting relaxation or comfort ahead of style, but all too often they let that attitude carry over into the rest of their activity and, once standards slip, they are likely to be abandoned altogether.

I think that perhaps it's a little different in Asia. What a profound statement! Of course it's different, but what I mean specifically is that people still care about dressing sharply there--at least in the "office sector." Naturally, at the mom & pop four table restaurant on the street corner, you will not find sharply dressed people, you will find friendly, but tired looking people in rubber sandals and working class clothing, slaving over a kettle of whatever it may be that they specialize in. But generally, office workers, even lower level office workers, try to look their best every day. In many cases, that means heels, even if they are little ones. And I've already said a number of times before, that once they get to the office, they slip off their high heels and walk around in those awful rubber sandals all day, so there's that.

• Like 1

I think that you guys that are saying you don't see many women wearing heels anymore are not in the right places. A few weeks ago I attended a church funeral for a deceased 61 year women, who was in the real estate business. It was a crowded church and I saw that social distancing was not being observed but masks were being worn. In spite of the fact it was snowing outside, maybe 1" on the pavement, I saw many women wearing either heeled boots, booties and pumps. Many were wearing stiletto heels. Being the deceased was a professional woman,  90% of the attendees were very sharply dressed including the men in suits. There wasn't one pair of Ugg boots or sneakers there.

I was impressed with the dress code, at the funeral. As I attend church every Sunday and I do see women wearing heels and many are dressed nice, but not all. I do wear heels every Sunday, mostly booties this time of year. Many check me out to see what footwear, I'm wearing each Sunday.  I do get some compliments on my heels like yesterday when a woman said, "I like your boots". I was wearing a pair of blue patent booties with a 3" chunky heel. They were definitely visible as I don't cover my heels with extra long pants.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

I think that you guys that are saying you don't see many women wearing heels anymore are not in the right places. A few weeks ago I attended a church funeral for a deceased 61 year women, who was in the real estate business. It was a crowded church and I saw that social distancing was not being observed but masks were being worn. In spite of the fact it was snowing outside, maybe 1" on the pavement, I saw many women wearing either heeled boots, booties and pumps. Many were wearing stiletto heels. Being the deceased was a professional woman,  90% of the attendees were very sharply dressed including the men in suits. There wasn't one pair of Ugg boots or sneakers there.

I was impressed with the dress code, at the funeral. As I attend church every Sunday and I do see women wearing heels and many are dressed nice, but not all. I do wear heels every Sunday, mostly booties this time of year. Many check me out to see what footwear, I'm wearing each Sunday.  I do get some compliments on my heels like yesterday when a woman said, "I like your boots". I was wearing a pair of blue patent booties with a 3" chunky heel. They were definitely visible as I don't cover my heels with extra long pants.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Funerals are always the best place for heels, followed by weddings then church.

Something about looking good for God, although not he cares. 

Interesting as I was a a funeral myself this weekend and there was but one pair of heels, and they were a maybe 2 3/4" heel pump.  The rest of the women were in flat to maybe 1 1/2" shoes and boots.

5 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Funerals are always the best place for heels, followed by weddings then church.

Something about looking good for God, although not he cares. 

I suspect that the nearest many women will get to heaven will be while wearing high heels.

To address everyone's concerns, both past and present, concerning the state of heeling in this country, as well as my state of mind wearing sandals in the snow, I present this picture of my friend, taken very recently. Not only does she still wear heels very regularly (at age 46), but she is also the only other person I know of who would wear high heeled sandals in the snow. I'm not sure the quality and angle of this picture will allow you to see that, but it's true!

BinhSnow.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, howdy there high heeled people, it's Melrose again, and today we're going to talk about repetition. Sometimes it's a good thing, and sometimes it just gets you stuck in a rut. Repetition is good for things like practicing an instrument or ballet, or a sport for the sake of maintaining the physical skill to do the thing. Repetition is not so good when it comes to more artistic and creative matters. For example, in a forum like this, how does one come up with new things to say on a regular basis? How much is there really to talk about when it comes to high heels? There doesn't really need to be an answer, but I need to ask the question. As I get older, I find that the questions are often far more important than the answers.

In other news, I have once again discovered the pitfalls of not taking regular walks in heels. I feel it's an essential part of being able to hack wearing them all day without much trouble. I had not logged too many miles in the last couple of months, it being winter and everything, so when I was afforded the opportunity to do so in relative comfort, I took off in my Nine West Sizzle oxfords (4" net heel height) with the intent of doing a couple of miles. Luckily, I only did a one mile loop, because when I went to do the second mile, my right ankle thought otherwise and I had to abort. I decided I'd better give it a rest for 48 hours, then I went with lower heels. Over the next two weeks, I was able to build back up to where I did walk over two miles in the 4" heels. There is sometimes no substitute for repetitive practice.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Y'all have a good day.

• Like 3