The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

5 hours ago, RonC said:

Wow.  I bet there are very few people in the world that own 80 pairs of shoes of any kind.  Wonder what your total investment was?  Also, just looking at the numbers, I assume that there is some carry over between mules and sandals?  Otherwise, things don't add up.

There is clearly some overlap - and I don't really understand some of the categories.   If there are 80 pairs, then I would expect to see the various basic styles (pumps, sandals, mules, boots - surely mutually exclusive?) add up to 80, not 106.   The other 'categories' (stilettos, wedges) are surely just descriptions of the type of heel - but they total 42, so what heels are on the other 38 pairs - presumably block or cuban heels etc?   Perhaps melrose can explain and clarify.  😔

Likewise, the interesting statistics on 'steepness' would perhaps be better understood if the increments were smaller, e.g. say 3.5" - 5" (or whatever limits apply) in increments of 1/4".  👠

I'm not trying to pour cold water on the results - or the effort melrose has put into compiling them - but it would be of further educational interest to get a little more detail.   (And you never know - there might be a PhD awarded in Canada for a suitable dissertation! 🙄 )

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

There is clearly some overlap - and I don't really understand some of the categories.   If there are 80 pairs, then I would expect to see the various basic styles (pumps, sandals, mules, boots - surely mutually exclusive?) add up to 80, not 106.   The other 'categories' (stilettos, wedges) are surely just descriptions of the type of heel - but they total 42, so what heels are on the other 38 pairs - presumably block or cuban heels etc?   Perhaps melrose can explain and clarify.  😔

Likewise, the interesting statistics on 'steepness' would perhaps be better understood if the increments were smaller, e.g. say 3.5" - 5" (or whatever limits apply) in increments of 1/4".  👠

I'm not trying to pour cold water on the results - or the effort melrose has put into compiling them - but it would be of further educational interest to get a little more detail.   (And you never know - there might be a PhD awarded in Canada for a suitable dissertation! 🙄 )

Yes, there is a lot of overlap between categories. For example, I have quite a few sandals which are not mules, and quite a few mules which are not sandals. I am including my rather extensive collection of clogs in the category of "mules." There is quite a bit of ambiguity between mules and clogs when you get to the heel height my collection is. Perhaps a more accurate category title would have been "Backless Shoes."

I included the heel types that I did because over the years, people have seemed to want to know that information. I suppose I could have included with more specificity the remaining types of heels, but let's just suffice it to say the the remaining 38 pairs do not have stiletto heels, nor do they have wedge heels. Actually, the vast majority of the 38 have what I would call "taper" heels--too big to be a stiletto, but definitely not a block heel. Without exception, they are way too tall to ever be considered a Cuban heel.

Oddly enough, one of the places where there is no overlap, but there definitely could be, is 13 pairs of pumps and 13 wedges. It's strange that they happen to be the same number, but they are mutually exclusive, i.e., I do not own any pumps that have wedge heels.

The steepness statistic is kind of new for me, or at least any emphasis on it is. That came about because there is a significant contingent of people who consider platforms to be "cheating," if there is any such thing as "cheating" in shoes. I guess the point I was trying to make is that I evidently have a lot of shoes with steepnesses right at 4 inches, so it skews the numbers wildly depending upon whether you include the 4" measurement with the lower range or with the upper. I just thought that was interesting, nothing more. I would not be opposed to doing a more finely graduated statistical analysis of steepness, if it's something people are interested in. It really wouldn't be too hard.

In the end, it comes down to the question, "Is 80 pairs of shoes too many?" I haven't mentioned that it's soon to be 81, but I have no plans at the moment to make it 82. Exactly 2 pairs at the moment are unwearable by me because of extreme steepness. 2 pair I keep for nostalgic reasons, but never wear. I have several I probably should divest myself of. For example, those round toed Aldo pumps in size 39 really are too tight, and they will probably never stretch sufficiently. Also, I have a pair of Michael Kors sandals which I have really enjoyed, but one shoe has started to squeak when I walk, and one of the heels seems just a bit wobbly, same shoe. I suspect a damaged shank. I should just throw them out, they're not really good for anyone. There are a whole bunch of black shoes in the middle of my east shelf which don't make a lot of sense to keep during this pandemic, but may prove to be worn regularly later, once we get back to normal, whenever that may be. It is likely that the 80 number will hold steady for quite a while.

So, knowing your liking for 'backless footwear' in particular, there is it seems a fair overlap between mules and sandals as you suggest - presumably 26 pairs being double-counted as I can't see how pumps or boots could overlap with either of them, whilst wedges and stilettos overlap with any of the others (being merely heel types).   Am I right? 

I agree entirely with you having a 'steepness' category.   As you realise (but many do not), stated heel height becomes virtually meaningless if it is effectively reduced by a platform sole.   I get tired of reading the often boastful references by various people (including a few here) to their 'six inch heels' etc which in reality are perhaps coupled with a 1.5" platform and thus a very different shoe to wear and walk in, quite apart from style.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Puffer said:

That seems a bit much to ask.  All 80 shoes measured in 1/4" increments.  Guessing @mlroseplant has better things to do.

18 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Honestly i stopped counting at 300.

Seriously @Jkrenzer.  Wow, that's an insane amount.  I've probably owned 300 pairs of heels in the course of my 50+ year infatuation, but most are long gone.  I suppose if I would have had the capability to store them somewhere, maybe I'd have that many as well.  I know there are many that I wish I still had!

49 minutes ago, RonC said:

That seems a bit much to ask.  All 80 shoes measured in 1/4" increments.  Guessing @mlroseplant has better things to do.

He had to measure them all anyway - so putting them into a more closely-defined height order was not really any extra work!

15 hours ago, Puffer said:

So, knowing your liking for 'backless footwear' in particular, there is it seems a fair overlap between mules and sandals as you suggest - presumably 26 pairs being double-counted as I can't see how pumps or boots could overlap with either of them, whilst wedges and stilettos overlap with any of the others (being merely heel types).   Am I right? 

I agree entirely with you having a 'steepness' category.   As you realise (but many do not), stated heel height becomes virtually meaningless if it is effectively reduced by a platform sole.   I get tired of reading the often boastful references by various people (including a few here) to their 'six inch heels' etc which in reality are perhaps coupled with a 1.5" platform and thus a very different shoe to wear and walk in, quite apart from style.

14 hours ago, RonC said:

Second things first: Yes, I probably do have better things to do, but no, it wasn't that much trouble to compile the extra data.

First things second: I'll take your word for it on how many things are double counted, but I can tell you that out of the 45 mules, 32 of them are open toed, and 13 are closed toed. Most of the closed toed pairs should probably be called clogs, but at that heel height, what is a clog, really? There is definitely some gray area. In addition to that, I have 11 pairs of sandals which have some sort of back strap.

While I was at it, I noted that out of my 29 pairs of stilettos, 16 of them are sandals, and 13 are enclosed shoes. I have no peep toed pumps, so you can stop that line of questioning right now. Not that I've got anything against them, I just don't happen to own any.

I have exactly one pair of sandals that features an enclosed heel, like a Latin dance shoe. Unlike a Latin dance shoe, this one pair of sandals happens to feature a wedge heel.

Of my 13 wedge heeled shoes, 11 are sandals, 10 are mules. The 2 enclosed toed wedges are both mules, and both you would probably call clogs.

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for, the enhanced steepness statistics. Even they do not tell the entire story, as I wear U.S. Women's size 9. My 4 1/2 inch shoes, though tolerable to me, would be incredibly steep for my size 5 1/2 friend, or yawningly low for a size 14. What I am saying is that this particular chart doesn't really tell you anything unless you're my size or pretty close to it. Nevertheless, here it is:

< 3 1/2"                   6     7.5%

3 1/2 - 3 3/4"        13   16.25%

3 7/8 - 4 1/8"        31   38.75%

4 1/4 - 4 1/2"        25    31.25%

> 4 1/2"                  5        6.25%

Flattest shoes: 2 5/8"       Steepest shoes: 5 1/8"

No, I have not worn my steepest shoes outside. I can't walk up to my standards in them.

Finally, here are pictures of my collection. I do have 5 additional pairs stored elsewhere.

ShoesSouth0121.jpg

ShoesEast0121.jpg

• Like 5

I love how we present our shoes on the shelf with the heels facing out so that we can see the best part.  At stores, they always present them with the heels facing in so you can see more of the shoe.

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 1

I'm bad (or needed to enlarge to see).  But only two pairs of boots out of 80 pairs...that only 2.5%.    I'm just kidding with you. I know I have no pumps and that might be sacrilegious to some members here.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 14:07, mlroseplant said:

Deuxièmement, d'abord: oui, j'ai probablement de meilleures choses à faire, mais non, ce n'était pas si compliqué de compiler les données supplémentaires.

Tout d'abord, je vous crois sur parole pour savoir combien de choses sont comptées en double, mais je peux vous dire que sur les 45 mulets, 32 ont les orteils ouverts et 13 sont fermés. La plupart des paires à bout fermé devraient probablement être appelées sabots, mais à cette hauteur de talon, qu'est-ce qu'un sabot, vraiment? Il y a certainement une zone grise. En plus de cela, j'ai 11 paires de sandales qui ont une sorte de sangle arrière.

Pendant que j'y étais, j'ai noté que sur mes 29 paires de talons aiguilles, 16 sont des sandales et 13 sont des chaussures fermées. Je n'ai pas de pompes à bout ouvert, vous pouvez donc arrêter cette ligne de questions dès maintenant. Non pas que j'aie quelque chose contre eux, je n'en possède pas.

J'ai exactement une paire de sandales avec un talon fermé, comme une chaussure de danse latine. Contrairement à une chaussure de danse latine, cette paire de sandales comporte un talon compensé.

Sur mes 13 chaussures à talons compensés, 11 sont des sandales, 10 sont des mules. Les 2 coins à bout fermé sont tous deux des mules, et vous appelleriez probablement les deux sabots.

Et maintenant, le moment que vous attendiez tous, les statistiques de pente améliorées. Même s'ils ne racontent pas toute l'histoire, car je porte la taille 9 des femmes américaines. Mes chaussures de 4 1/2 pouces, bien que tolérables pour moi, seraient incroyablement raides pour mon ami de taille 5 1/2, ou très basses pour une taille 14 Ce que je dis, c'est que ce graphique particulier ne vous dit vraiment rien à moins que vous ne soyez ma taille ou assez proche de celle-ci. Néanmoins, la voici:

❤️ 1/2 "6 7,5%

3 1/2 - 3 3/4 "13 16,25%

3 7/8 - 4 1/8 "31 38,75%

4 1/4 - 4 1/2 "25 31,25%

> 4 1/2 "5 6,25%

Chaussures les plus plates: 2 5/8 "Chaussures les plus raides: 5 1/8"

Non, je n'ai pas porté mes chaussures les plus raides à l'extérieur. Je ne peux pas marcher jusqu'à mes normes en eux.

Enfin, voici des photos de ma collection. J'ai 5 paires supplémentaires stockées ailleurs.

ChaussuresSouth0121.jpg

ChaussuresEast0121.jpg

Thank you for the pictures, dressing impressive by the quantity

On 1/10/2021 at 6:24 AM, p1ng74 said:

I spy a pair of boots down by the bell of the baritone...

That is actually a 1966 Conn Model 20J recording bell tuba. To be perfectly accurate, "20J" and "recording bell" is redundant, but only to vintage Conn geeks. And yes, there are in fact two pairs of knee high boots behind the tuba, but they are covered in spider webs. I don't know if the resolution of the photo will show it. I haven't worn them since last winter.

@Cali, I have no idea why y'all are so adamant that I wear boots. I used to own a dozen pairs of boots at one time. I am down to four nowadays. Five, if you count a pair of booties that are really nothing more than shoes that come up a little higher on the foot than usual. Who knows, I may break them out within the next couple of months. I just haven't yet.

@RonC, All of the shoes are in the basement except for 5 pair, which are stored in a remote location. I suppose I could fit those as well, if I did a little bit of rearranging, and found another place to put the metronome, but it's a very convenient place to keep it for handy access.

TubaWithBoots.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cali said:

@mlroseplant I'm just playing with you.  We all have gaps or single minded heels., like boots-only @Shyheels. When you have over 50 pairs and no place to wear them (staying home) some do gather cobwebs.

I know that you know that I know that you know that I know.  .  . you're messing with me. Howevahh.  .  . I will not wear knee high boots with shorts. Ain't gonna happen. 🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, bambam said:

As A sax player, I'm only faintly aware of the confusing mess of horn types, and I don't envy the complications. As a violin player, I envy the sax player in me. 

I also have a 1957 Conn 10M tenor saxophone. It's a honey. I think amongst several of us on this site, we could probably make a pretty sweet high heeled jam band.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I also have a 1957 Conn 10M tenor saxophone. It's a honey. I think amongst several of us on this site, we could probably make a pretty sweet high heeled jam band.

If you’ll take a fiddle I’ll join in.  That is my one hobby that definitely suffered in 2020.  I haven't touched the instrument since the summer video project.  I had no idea how low motivation can be when there is nobody to jam with. 

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I'm totally with you on the idea of knee boots and shorts - not a look I'd ever aspire to.

Never say never, boots and shorts are now well within my comfort zone:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I know that you know that I know that you know that I know.  .  . you're messing with me. Howevahh.  .  . I will not wear knee high boots with shorts. Ain't gonna happen. 🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I'm totally with you on the idea of knee boots and shorts - not a look I'd ever aspire to.

You both need to give it a try.  The only real  downside (for you) is you might really like it.  I know I do, specially with short shorts, but only in warm weather.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

If you’ll take a fiddle I’ll join in.  That is my one hobby that definitely suffered in 2020.  I haven't touched the instrument since the summer video project.  I had no idea how low motivation can be when there is nobody to jam with. 

Never say never, boots and shorts are now well within my comfort zone:

I have experienced the same. My playing should have exploded exponentially last year, but the opposite happened. I tend to do much better if I have a deadline to meet, in other words, a performance that will take place on such and such a date. There was none of that in 2020. And yes, if it were to ever take place somehow, fiddles are welcome!

As far as the shorts with boots thing goes, it's not a matter of comfort zone, it's a matter of I don't like the look. I figure if it's warm enough to be wearing shorts, it's warm enough to be wearing sandals, and why would you purposefully want to pass up a chance to wear sandals? Obviously, this argument won't hold water with @Shyheels, haha.

Furthermore, I have a very good aesthetic argument against the look for me personally. If you haven't noticed, I have extremely short legs. If I were to visually chop my legs in half with a knee high boot, my legs would look approximately 18 inches long. Not a good look. On that basis alone, I can't do shorts and tall boots. For the same reason, I can't do capri pants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love shorts with heels, but not overly fond of the idea of shorts and boots.  If it's warm enough for shorts, why the heck would I want to encase my legs and feet in some hot (and I'm talking temperature here, not looks...lol) boots?  Maybe with tights on a cool day I could see it working.