The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

5 hours ago, Cali said:

But being a negative electrician might cause you some problem. Better get grounded.

I suspect that you and I will be grounded if we make any more shocking jokes, Cali!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cali said:

But being a negative electrician might cause you some problem. Better get grounded.

Somebody else generally takes care of all the battery banks, so I'm never a negative electrician. I'm an A.C. only kind of guy! Still have to be grounded. Or as Puffer might say, "earthed."

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

I suspect that you and I will be grounded if we make any more shocking jokes, Cali!

Just as long as we refrain from certain topics, we'll be ok, I think. Making bad jokes is hopefully not one of the proscribed activities. Otherwise, we're in big trouble on this thread.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

One of my otk boot styles is actually called the Volta...

As long as they’re not called Voltaire, as that brings to mind Candide, an’ we know all the ‘orrible fings wha’ ‘appened to ‘im, don’t we?

15 hours ago, Cali said:

You mean you don't drive a Volt to work?  I'm so disappointed!  :( 

No, but my sister has one, does that count? I drive an ancient Buick.

It occurs to me that this thread tends to be at its best when the subject is.  .  . basically nothing. Is that bad?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

No, but my sister has one, does that count? I drive an ancient Buick.

It occurs to me that this thread tends to be at its best when the subject is.  .  . basically nothing. Is that bad?

Those old Buicks are great, they don’t make them like they used to.  Bench seat in the front, bulletproof 3800 V6...

Perhaps the best threads are the threads about real life and finding friends, bound by a common interest in heels...

• Like 6

I know we're not supposed to talk about politics on this site, and I won't address things directly, but it's really part of the story, and it involves high heels. I maintain contact on a popular social media platform with an elderly lady from my church (being as we never see each other in person in these days of physical distancing). Let's put it this way, we hold pretty much polar opposites on the political spectrum, with she being the conservative one.

We have traded barbs back and forth for the past several months, and a couple of days ago was no exception. She has been reading a book lately about people who change paradigms, and how they are often hated and ridiculed. I thought to myself, "Hmmm, I have a little experience with this," and so I took the opening to make a reply. She knows very well what I look like, and how I dress, so I shared with her my struggle to find my place in the world in terms of fashion and style, and how it's often not met with great enthusiasm. She immediately said, "Oh, don't worry about all those naysayers. Is that all they have to think about? Do what makes you happy. I can't wear high heels because of my artificial knees, so you wear them for me. But I do think they need to be thinner heels!!!"

I have no idea what the last part was about, as I do have quite a few stilettos, but perhaps she remembers me in chunkier heels. It has been a little while since we've seen each other in person. Nevertheless, affirmation sometimes comes from surprising places.

• Like 8

Speaking of church people, I did not see my Republican friend on Sunday, but I did see the choir for the first time since March. Simply on account of age alone, about 90% of the choir members are in the high risk group for having serious complications from Covid-19, so we have not had any rehearsals or worship performances since March.

The choir director decided that this should not be, especially with the Advent season coming up, so he dreamed up this grand experiment, whereby we'd record the church organist playing the accompaniment to Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" some weeks before, send it out to everybody so they could practice, then gather on the last nice Sunday afternoon there will probably be until spring to attempt to sing this thing while observing pandemic precautions.

Would it work? I had my doubts, but it actually turned out better than you might think. We haven't yet put the video and the audio together yet, but here is a screen shot from the video. Can you find me?

Hallelujah.jpg

• Like 1

The only person not wearing athletic shoes!

Well, maybe not the only one. 

This picture points out how relaxed we have become with clothing over the years. When I  was very young my mom would show up for something like this dressed well, maybe a nice top and dress pants and low heels. She wouldn't let me near the church unless I also was appropriately dressed. To this day athletic shoes are for putzing around home or going for a walk. Out shopping I still tend to dress up a bit, perhaps just nice jeans, nice button up shirt and nicer shoes, perhaps a pair of block heel booties.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pumped said:

The only person not wearing athletic shoes!

Well, maybe not the only one. 

This picture points out how relaxed we have become with clothing over the years. When I  was very young my mom would show up for something like this dressed well, maybe a nice top and dress pants and low heels. She wouldn't let me near the church unless I also was appropriately dressed. To this day athletic shoes are for putzing around home or going for a walk. Out shopping I still tend to dress up a bit, perhaps just nice jeans, nice button up shirt and nicer shoes, perhaps a pair of block heel booties.

It's a rehearsal, not church. Melrose's heels and attire are much nicer during service, right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Puffer said:

Blimey!   I should think that a couple of 'hallelujahs' would be enough to blow the masks off!   (More seriously, isn't the effect noticeably muffled or spoiled by the masks?)

Or could that improve their sound?

Just Kidding

We thought about wear choir robes for this video, but decided against it because it would have wasted a lot of valuable time, and it was very windy that day. As far as the masks go, you'll notice that nearly all of us are wearing ASTM Level 1 disposable masks. They are much easier to breathe through than my usual triple layered cotton mask. So we did that on purpose. We were down on numbers by about half anyway, especially sopranos. It turned out all right, for what it is.

16 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

It's a rehearsal, not church. Melrose's heels and attire are much nicer during service, right?

I am not picking on Melrose, he is wearing heels. I am picking on the rest!

Your comment does reinforce my point. It isn't church, just practice so who cares what we look like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pumped said:

Your comment does reinforce my point. It isn't church, just practice so who cares what we look like.

Melrose cares, he’s wearing heels :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2020 at 8:14 AM, Pumped said:

On 11/11/2020 at 9:46 AM, p1ng74 said:

Melrose cares, he’s wearing heels :)

To be fair, I had just finished recording hymns to be used in next week's video services, so I probably look a little bit nicer than everyone else. I know that many of us @RonC are very disappointed that casual clothing has now become acceptable in nearly every situation. I always like to say, "Comfort is overrated," as if I am saddled in some way by my clothes and shoes. I think that is not so much true, because I really don't feel uncomfortable in nicer, less casual clothing. Perhaps I perceive comfort in a different way than do most people. For example, I don't mind wearing a necktie, as long as my shirt collar is properly sized. I just seem to ignore it while I'm out and about. It's the same with the heels. Sure, I notice that I'm wearing heels, but I don't perceive them as being uncomfortable, they just are. I mean, assuming they're not rubbing a blister in the side of my foot or something, but that's a separate issue from what I'm talking about, and that has an easy solution--if it keeps happening, like @Cali always says, we just get rid of the shoes. I guess it all boils down to one question: Why is it necessary for every article of clothing to "feel like you're wearing pajamas?" That seems to be the ultimate goal of most people these days.

In spite of all that, even I have slid down the casual slide a little bit. When I first started wearing heels in public, I made sure that I looked several cuts above before I stepped out the door. I felt it necessary to make some sort of statement that I was not wearing the heels by some sort of accident, but that it was part of a total look. Therefore, I would not leave the house without my shirt ironed, my pants pressed, and looking the very best that I thought I could. Today my standards are much less strict. Today, I just have to keep my work t-shirts segregated from my "nice" t-shirts. No, it's not quite that bad, but it's true that I no longer feel like I have to get all the way dressed up just to wear heels to the grocery store.

• Like 1

Because I work from home I try to make an effort to look at least smart-casual, so that I feel that I am in a work environment and not just slobbing around at home. It sets a tone. If I was the sort who naturally wore ties I woud probably wear one. I'm not and so I go with nice jeans and a jumper, collared shirt and, since one wouldn't turn up to the office barefoot - a pair of boots. In winter months I tend to go with a very elegant  pair of Jean Gaborit heavy suede otk boots with 3.5" cuban heels - combining comfort and style since the tall boots keep my lower legs warm, no small consuideration on damp blustery days such as today! 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 2