The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

On 8/17/2020 at 6:23 AM, mlroseplant said:

In other developments, for one reason and another, I wore flat sandals pretty much all weekend, and my feet are tired! I do much better in heels, as long as they're not at the extreme end of my personal physical limitations (greater than 4 1/2" steepness).

Careful, you may become stuck in heels. I spent most of last weekend im sneakers doing heavy work or in golf shoes playing. No issues physically, but mentally yes, i wanted heels.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Careful, you may become stuck in heels. I spent most of last weekend im sneakers doing heavy work or in golf shoes playing. No issues physically, but mentally yes, i wanted heels.

"May" become? My only goal in life is to learn to walk properly in heels of your caliber. (Deadpan) But I'm only about 90% kidding.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised elsewhere, I will turn to the subject of why I think women are not wearing heels anymore, and how it's been made worse by the pandemic. This is not an exhaustive scientific study, this is a few conversations I've had with two people, and is completely anecdotal, but this is my thread, so I get to engage in conjecture, at the possible risk of looking like an idiot sometime in the future.

I used to hang out with a particular woman my freshman year in college. We lived in the same dorm, and we were both in various string ensembles together, so it was only natural that we became friends. She was also a heel wearer, but only for very circumscribed events. However, when those events occurred, she often wore heels that were bordering on shockingly high for the day. I, of course, was quite enamored of these shoes, and we got to talking one day (keep in mind we were 18 or 19 year old kids), and I asked her, "What does it mean to you when you wear high heels?" She answered something like it meant that she was going to the extra effort to look dressed up, and that there was some important event. I may have pressed her further, but that was a long time ago.

Fast forward 33 years (33 years? That kind of hurts!), she is the one and only person from college that I still maintain any sort of regular contact with. We live in different cities, have our own careers and families, but it's pretty much still the same as it was 33 years ago. We still get along very well for some dumb reason. So just days ago, I put the same question to her: "What does it mean to you, what are you thinking in your head, when you decide to wear heels?" Now, keep in mind that some things have changed in the intervening years, number one being that 33 years ago, she wouldn't have had the foggiest notion why I was interested in heels, and now she knows everything. Second, as with most of us, muscular-skeletal functionality was much higher at age 18. However, the answer hasn't changed in 33 years. She still answered that it means she is dressing up for a special event or occasion. She didn't have a lot of endurance in heels when she was 18, and things have not improved with the passage of time. Therefore, she rarely wears heels, and the heels I have seen at all in pictures are always very modest in height. Also, she has no idea how high her heels are, as in how many inches, that's not a thing with most women. I can tell you that anything higher than a normal cowboy boot would be a "high" heel for her, so I would take that to mean somewhat less than 2 inches.

My second anecdotal example is a woman I went to high school with. Back in high school, she wore heels very regularly, and the heels she wore were definitely more vertiginous than most of the girls. I estimate in the 3 1/2 to 4 inch range. Kids back then, particularly girls, dressed up quite often to attend high school, and in addition, she went to church every Sunday, dressed up, same as me. It was sort of a "thing" in the 80s. Anyhow, she is one of those people who got a job right out of college with a major U.S. bank, and is still working for the same bank today. How often does that happen these days? Anyway, she was recalling that when she started back in 1989, it was expected of her that she wear a skirt suit, pantyhose, and heels every day to work. That is no longer the case, and I recall her recently saying, "Thank God those days are over!" She lives in a different town now, but still comes back to our church 2 or 3 times a year when she is visiting her parents, and when she comes to church, she does always wear some sort of mid-heel, but I guarantee that's one of the few times a year she wears heels. Again, for her, it's part of being dressed up, it's the perceived demands of the style, and not simply loving to wear heels, or attaching any special significance to them.

The takeaway from all this is that the vast majority of women do not think of heels in any sort of special way, any more than we men think of ties. The advertising may suggest otherwise, and all you see among the elites is Louboutins and Jimmy Choo, but here in the real world, the truly high heeled shoe is basically dead, because to wear such shoes for most women would require them to be dressed very formally, and who does that anymore? Nobody. Because it isn't required in the modern world, and isn't expected. Just like many of you almost brag that you haven't worn a tie in years, so it is for women and high heels. This is made even more pronounced by the pandemic, because we don't go anywhere anymore. Nothing to dress up for, even if we wanted to. Therefore, hardly any heels. @Bubba136 mentioned elsewhere that he can't understand why, if you were in a position to wear heels and no one would think a thing of it, no one would look at you funny, why wouldn't you do it all the time? This is evidently because we are a very small subset of people who actually like to wear heels for the sake of wearing heels. I could go on, but this post is already ridiculously long.

Do any of you have similar stories about your female friends, coworkers, and significant others?

• Like 5

I've no stories - I am practically a hermit these days and other than by email, I have long lost contact with girls I knew way back when.  Your analysis those rings true, especially your comparison with men's ties. There are men who genuinely like to wear ties (or bow ties) and the pride in them. For the vast majority it is a dreary obligation. And those of us who do not have to wear them, take a certain gleeful pride in not having worn a tie in years - or, in my case, not even owning one.

What does your friend - who wears heels only for certain obligatory occasions - think of your keenness to wear heels as a regular thing? As a guy you certainly are never going to be obliged to. 

19 hours ago, Shyheels said:

What does your friend - who wears heels only for certain obligatory occasions - think of your keenness to wear heels as a regular thing? As a guy you certainly are never going to be obliged to. 

The college friend, the violinist, fully supports my choices. She is a fashion junkie, and has at least a million outfits stuffed into her closets. Possibly approaching two million. If I ever wanted to do the JeffB thing, I would know who to go to for advice at putting together an outfit.She has said on multiple occasions, when I have showed her some of my shoes "Oh, I could NEVER wear those! I couldn't have worn those when I was young!" Which is true, she probably couldn't have. What I've never heard her say is, "Oh, I WISH I could wear those!" Most people don't have the high heel gene.

Here is another example of heels that are beyond her. I sent her this picture, taken only yesterday, to show my basic summer uniform, and I think I'm actually starting to get thin again after gaining quite a bit of weight during the lockdown.

AlaiaWithShorts.jpg

• Like 8

23 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Nice heels , great legs! 

Thanks, Jeremy. My cousin Trang seems to agree with you! Another gal for whom heels are a means to an end, rather than an end in itself. She wears an awful lot of kitten heels.

IMG_0473(1).PNG

Edited by mlroseplant
Image didn't load properly
  • Like 1

mlroseplant,

I think your observations, though anecdotal you deem them to be, are logical given the amazing trend toward casual dress nationwide and over most of the world. Yes, the pandemic has certainly taken the fun out of 2020. Two places where I have worn heels, eating at restaurants and the movies, have been largely eliminated this year at least since March. That leaves shopping trips or just wearing while travelling like when I've visited you. I'm sure we'll all be glad when things return to normal. Seeing movies or news footage of times when people were together at fairs, carnivals, and sporting events now seems like "days of yesteryear". HinH

I went to the dentist yesterday for the first time since before the pandemic. Going to the dentist is always a bit of a challenge, because I have to figure out what to wear. First of all, I have to remember what I wore last time to be sure not to repeat it. Which is kind of hard to do when your wardrobe is kind of One Note Samba. One thing I knew for sure is that I didn't wear these particular shorts last time, because it was February, and I'm no Galina Kutereva (look her up sometime, if you haven't already). I have a similar, if not identical pair in pink, and I briefly considered going in mainly pink, but decided against it, partially because my pink sandals are very time consuming to get on and off. In the end, I decided on this rather boring earth-tone palette.

The shoes kind of selected themselves. I was going to go with my Alaia sandals, but then remembered I had worn those to the dentist the year before (don't ask me how I remember that, but I do), so that was out of the question. Although I had yet to wear them out of the house, I decided to take a chance on these new Joie "Raja" mules, figuring, eh, how bad could it be? Even if I have to park very far away, the most I'd have to walk is like a total of a half mile, so I put them on and left. I am not a huge fan of peep toes, and these are no exception. I feel that they would both look and feel much better if they showed three toes on each foot, rather than two. Other than that, I got used to them in pretty short order, especially considering they were a little tight at first.

When I got to the dentist, I had to wait outside for a bit for them to come and get me, then what has become usual took place. They all wanted to see my shoes, and my hygenist said what she says 8 times out of 10: "I think your heels are getting higher!" To which I have had to reply in recent years, "No, it can't be, because I sort of reached my terminal height several years ago." It's probably that they don't ever see 5 inch heels up close anywhere, ever, so they just seem shockingly high every time. I got a new dentist because the old one bought a practice elsewhere to be nearer to family. I have no idea what she looks like, what with all the PPE, but my hygenist made it a point, almost before saying my name, to say that I'm the only patient in the entire practice who can actually walk in 5 inch heels. The dentist thought my shoes were cute. I have no idea if it was gratuitous or genuine. No facial expression clues. Anyway, I was given a clean bill of dental health, and I was on my way back home to cook supper.

JoieShorts1.jpg

JoieShorts2.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 7

I get the same thing from my dentist, all the workers (receptionist. hygienist, assistant) all must come to see what I have on. Last time it was knee high JS stilettos.

You know you made their day.

17 hours ago, Cali said:

I get the same thing from my dentist, all the workers (receptionist. hygienist, assistant) all must come to see what I have on. Last time it was knee high JS stilettos.

You know you made their day.

Yeah, what is it about the dentist in particular? Several people have said that the dentist IS the place to get compliments on heels. Maybe it's because you go there regularly (or at least you're supposed to), but they don't see you often enough so that it becomes boring.

14 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Quite the heel on those, @mlroseplant - nicely done!

Thanks, Jeremy. I did take a really big chance wearing those out before "road testing" them, but I got by with it. They're really not hard to walk in at all, being more "full coverage" mules, and having a 1" platform. I was telling the dental hygienist that yeah, they look impressive, but really, they're only 4 inch heels. Which, without me realizing it when the words came out of my mouth, sounded kind of cocky. It wasn't meant to be.

I really need to learn how to pose for photographs. I look like such a dork. Also, I like wearing a mask because then I don't have to worry about my facial expression. The only benefit of coronavirus. I can wear a mask for photos and people don't question it. Once this is over, I'll be forced to learn how to smile for pictures without its looking forced. Edit: HA! Look what I just wrote! Forced to learn how to smile for pictures without looking forced. I think that maybe I have discovered the source of the problem.

Edited by mlroseplant
Silliness

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Several people have said that the dentist IS the place to get compliments on heels. Maybe it's because you go there regularly (or at least you're supposed to), but they don't see you often enough so that it becomes boring.

The dentist lies you down so your shoes are many times more visible. After seeing sneaker after sneaker, all of a sudden they get a chance to see something very different.  And you know they will talk about the shoes for days.

LOL

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Buddy, very well done and bold with the short shorts.

Been getting comments a lot latey, all positive and all women. Is the virus bringing out the best in people?

To be fair, all of the positive comments I've listed lately have been either friends or family, except for the dental hygienist. I'll still take the comments, but it's not like strangers are stopping me on the street.

16 hours ago, Cali said:

The dentist lies you down so your shoes are many times more visible. After seeing sneaker after sneaker, all of a sudden they get a chance to see something very different.  And you know they will talk about the shoes for days.

LOL

I don't know if they'll talk about it for days, but it will probably be at least hours, especially with the new dentist there now.

16 hours ago, RonC said:

Not my cup of tea, mlroseplant, but boy, I sure have a great deal of respect for your desire and ability to wear them!

Ron, I know you're not a big sandal guy, and I also know it's a "style" I see all the time, common as dirt on places like Instagram and the like, but I cannot see myself wearing pumps with shorts, ever. Thank you for your vote of confidence, however! Pump season will be here all too soon, unfortunately, and once again, I've let another summer go by without fixing the heater in my car. Time to get on that, like now!

5 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Ron, I know you're not a big sandal guy, and I also know it's a "style" I see all the time, common as dirt on places like Instagram and the like, but I cannot see myself wearing pumps with shorts, ever. Thank you for your vote of confidence, however! Pump season will be here all too soon, unfortunately, and once again, I've let another summer go by without fixing the heater in my car. Time to get on that, like now!

Not the sandal part, it's more the overall mule/slide style and platform combo that is not my cup of tea.  While I don't mind a mule/slide like those BCBG Bonny slides you have shown, the wide upper on those here is just a style I dislike.  My taste in sandals runs toward the thin, strappy bare styles with single soles and stiletto heels, and I much prefer those on women with nice looking feet.  They don't look good on me, that's for sure!  But the reason there are so many styles is because there are so many people with different tastes, so heel on!

• Like 2

On 9/4/2020 at 11:19 AM, RonC said:

Not the sandal part, it's more the overall mule/slide style and platform combo that is not my cup of tea.  While I don't mind a mule/slide like those BCBG Bonny slides you have shown, the wide upper on those here is just a style I dislike.  My taste in sandals runs toward the thin, strappy bare styles with single soles and stiletto heels, and I much prefer those on women with nice looking feet.  They don't look good on me, that's for sure!  But the reason there are so many styles is because there are so many people with different tastes, so heel on!

I understand completely what you mean now, and I think I mentioned before that I wish the mules in question were cut a little bit differently. I would have to go look for sure, but I'm quite sure that these Joie mules are the most "full coverage" mules I own, that you could still call sandals. I don't mind the platform, it's only 1", but I wish the toe opening were bigger, to show at least 3 toes instead of just 2, and I wish the top of the upper were cut a good inch lower than it is. That way, they'd still be "high coverage" mules, but they'd seem less massive. I also think they'd be more comfortable if they were cut that way.

Which bring me to the point of why I sort of like and continue to buy, own, and wear "high coverage" mules, when what I really like, as apparently do you, are the minimalist, barely-there styles. It's practicality. While my Bonny beaded mules have honestly got to be some of the best walking shoes ever (no one ever believes me on that one), if you trip, slip, or even kick your foot moderately strongly, you're losing your shoe. You could never dance in the Bonnys. You have to be very careful if you must run for some reason, like the light just turned yellow, and you're in the middle of a wide street. The higher coverage mules do not suffer from this problem. They stay on your feet quite securely, to the point that you basically can't put them on or take them off hands-free.

I like wearing the Berkemann sandals below - cool and comfortable in the warmer weather.   Despite the wooden soles, they are light (lighter than Scholls).   But one does have to be wary of them coming off in awkward places (such as descending a flight of steps).   The similar Birkenstock Madrid style is easier to keep on.   I also like the Birkenstock Piazza sandals - now discontinued and never made in larger sizes; mine are modified from the otherwise identical Mayari style by removing the strap across the instep.

1599722913_Berkoriginal.jpg.97cca13fec25f23ddc062acc4dd3a357.jpg1149036667_Piazza1.thumb.jpg.edf61e9a3a5375d56d8798e53e17cd5f.jpg

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Which bring me to the point of why I sort of like and continue to buy, own, and wear "high coverage" mules, when what I really like, as apparently do you, are the minimalist, barely-there styles. It's practicality. While my Bonny beaded mules have honestly got to be some of the best walking shoes ever (no one ever believes me on that one), if you trip, slip, or even kick your foot moderately strongly, you're losing your shoe. You could never dance in the Bonnys. You have to be very careful if you must run for some reason, like the light just turned yellow, and you're in the middle of a wide street. The higher coverage mules do not suffer from this problem. They stay on your feet quite securely, to the point that you basically can't put them on or take them off hands-free

I can absolutely see that.  I would think the higher coverage versions would be significantly easier to walk in.  Heck, I had a pair of mens slide type sandals and I had a hard time keeping those on my feet!  For some reason I guess my toes don't grip well, which also probably explains why I walk out of pumps as well.

On 9/3/2020 at 12:17 PM, Cali said:

LOL

Yeah my dental hygienist often expresses compliments on my cowboy boots.  She had also said before that she wishes she could comfortably wear boots all day, which is interesting because I find cowboy boots to be most comfortable.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 1

@kneehighs

Something messed up royally here. If there are weird replies, just ignore them. What I was trying to write in the first place is that I must be channeling my inner @kneehighs , because I've been getting some compliments through chat lately. The difference is, my aims and intentions in chat are rather different than kneehighs's, as I am uncle/mentor/English teacher to what few chatting friends I have left. I might also add that I have met all of my chatting friends in person on multiple occasions. Anyhow, this is an excerpt from a conversation I had with my friend Huyền, who is very young. I believe she's 24. She's into shoes, nails, and fashion in general. She also tends to ignore my advice, usually to her detriment. That's the problem with a lot of kids these days--they don't really want advice, they want validation. I think that may be part of the reason she hardly ever talks to me these days. I digress, and I'm taking some validation for myself! HA! What do you think about that?

JoieShoesChat.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

@kneehighs

Something messed up royally here. If there are weird replies, just ignore them. What I was trying to write in the first place is that I must be channeling my inner @kneehighs , because I've been getting some compliments through chat lately. The difference is, my aims and intentions in chat are rather different than kneehighs's, as I am uncle/mentor/English teacher to what few chatting friends I have left. I might also add that I have met all of my chatting friends in person on multiple occasions. Anyhow, this is an excerpt from a conversation I had with my friend Huyền, who is very young. I believe she's 24. She's into shoes, nails, and fashion in general. She also tends to ignore my advice, usually to her detriment. That's the problem with a lot of kids these days--they don't really want advice, they want validation. I think that may be part of the reason she hardly ever talks to me these days. I digress, and I'm taking some validation for myself! HA! What do you think about that?

JoieShoesChat.jpg

Not 100 percent sure, but I think she likes your legs ;-)

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

@kneehighs

Wow, she's gushing with praise for your legs and shoes!  Cool anecdote!

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:15 AM, mlroseplant said:

@kneehighs

JoieShoesChat.jpg

Yeah, it sure sounds like she's complimenting you.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

On 9/8/2020 at 6:05 AM, jeremy1986 said:

Not 100 percent sure, but I think she likes your legs ;-)

On 9/8/2020 at 11:18 PM, kneehighs said:

Wow, she's gushing with praise for your legs and shoes!  Cool anecdote!

29 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Yeah, it sure sounds like she's complimenting you.

This week, it doesn't matter. My legs have been covered up for the last three days. We have had the weirdest weather. Sunday, it was 95º. Monday, it was 72º. Tuesday, it was 50º. That's 35º, 22º, and 10º for youse guys in the rest of the world. It has stayed 50º for the last 3 days, and rainy. It's a shock, even to my system. I hate to admit it as an Iowan, but I'm cold! I'm not wearing shorts, even though I want to. It's only September, for Pete's sake!

The weather has rebounded somewhat, both in temperature and precipitation (or lack thereof), so I was able to take a nice walk last night, wearing some of the best walking shoes ever, My BCBGirls Bonny mules. I know, I know, it's all about the Bonnys. What caught my attention this time is the fact that the stock heel tips on Pair No. 2 seem to be much more durable than Pair No. 1. According to my records, I had to replace the heel tips on Pair No. 1 after less than 10 miles, whereas Pair No. 2's heel tips have been run (walked?) for 21 miles so far, and they've still got several miles left in them (see picture below). This is comparable to the durability of the Vibram heels that my cobbler normally uses to reheel heels of this width. I just think it's so weird how inconsistent mass manufactured products can be.

As an aside: The stock heel tips are quite noisy, giving a strong "tock, tock" sound when walking. Not like the clickety-click sound of stilettos, but definitely attention grabbing. Although I no longer care as much about the sound shoes make as I did when I first started heeling, I think I shall miss the sound these sandals make when I do have them reheeled. They will be nearly silent by comparison.

BonnyTopLifts.jpg

09/14/20

I liked the outfit that I wore to the dentist a couple of weeks ago, that I recycled it to wear to Costco and the cell phone place yesterday. It has finally warmed back up to seasonal temperatures after five straight days of cold, windy, rainy weather, so I took the opportunity to wear shorts again, even though my errand running session started at a mere 58º. I wore different shoes this time, sandals with actual back straps! The horror! I do not have a picture from yesterday. Actually, I do, but my wife took it, so my feet are purposefully not in it. There is no sense in posting it here. I do have a partial picture of the sandals, however. I like how the medallions bounce against your ankles when you walk. It's kind of a fun feeling.

BCBGmedallion.JPG

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, mlroseplant said:

09/14/20

I liked the outfit that I wore to the dentist a couple of weeks ago, that I recycled it to wear to Costco and the cell phone place yesterday. It has finally warmed back up to seasonal temperatures after five straight days of cold, windy, rainy weather, so I took the opportunity to wear shorts again, even though my errand running session started at a mere 58º. I wore different shoes this time, sandals with actual back straps! The horror! I do not have a picture from yesterday. Actually, I do, but my wife took it, so my feet are purposefully not in it. There is no sense in posting it here. I do have a partial picture of the sandals, however. I like how the medallions bounce against your ankles when you walk. It's kind of a fun feeling.

BCBGmedallion.JPG

Nicely done! Yes, i know what you mean, about the bling's texture on you, and the sound as well. Very pleasing. 

So, today, let's talk about heel wear. As you all know, I have ceased wearing stilettos on walks because the heels wear out too fast. I have made an exception with my latest purchase, the Shoedazzle "Alexa" rainbow colored mules, pictured elsewhere on this forum. They have 4 3/4" or 12 cm heels with no platform, making them among my steepest heels. While I was talking on the phone to a friend, I decided to take a walk in them, just to see if I could manage a mile in them. It was rather easier than I thought. So last night, I decided to give them my true two mile test, which has been my standard for years on deciding whether I'm going to keep a pair of shoes. I'll tell you what, after about a mile and a half, although my feet were perfectly comfortable, my ankles were getting fatigued, just from the height. The shoes themselves passed the two mile test easily, but my body needs some additional conditioning. Nothing hurts at all, but I'm glad I didn't have to walk five miles in those shoes. I'd have been a tired puppy! After a total of three miles, I can observe the wear on the heels, and I estimate that I could get maybe 8-10 miles out of them before they absolutely need to be replaced. That's actually pretty typical, and really quite respectable for stock heel tips on a cheap pair of shoes. Plus, they are just so much fun to walk in! I can't really explain it.

I mentioned a few posts ago that my BCBG Bonny mules (Pair No. 2) were reaching the end of the stock heel tips. Well, they absolutely reached the end a couple of days ago, because one of them came loose and fell completely out. Luckily, this happened when I was back at home. I could have theoretically glued it back in and gotten a few more miles out of it, but I hate to make the cobbler's job harder for basically no reason, so I'm shelving these for a while until I can make it up there.

BonnyBrokentoplift.jpg

SDazzleheelwear.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 2