The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

And to think, I managed to cut down an entire tree yesterday, and nobody got hurt! It wasn't a terribly big tree, the trunk was about 8" in diameter, but still. I did get thumped pretty good on the shin by a log, but amazingly, it didn't leave a mark. I guess it's those little twigs that you have to watch out for. :giggle:

• Like 1

I would have to agree with Cali on that observation. After seeing both the Giant Sequoia and Redwood trees in California an 8-inch diametre tree is very very small indeed. Any tree taken down successfully without injury is a big success. I have taken down a few and seen better results as I refine my techniques. I felled 18 black willow trees at the house and treated each one as if it were a "widowmaker". Luckily nothing bad happened and I have lots of firewood now. I have probably planted ten times the number of trees as felled in my lifetime. Glad to see to see you ame out whole mlroseplant. HinH

I cut down two evergreens in my yard, 70 and 75 feet tall. There was no where to just drop them plus right next to the house so I wasn't taking any chances.  I rented a aerial man bucket and limbed them from the ground up. When I was 50 feet in the air I realized how tall they were. We tied off a rope to my truck as  high as I could reach and lopped off the top 20-25 feet then started cutting off the trunk in manageable chucks.

No blood was shed!

I had a 16 inch diameter branch split one year on the sugar pine tree. when my son cut it off, it sprung the 60-foot branch off the roof and deck of the house. Glad I had sold my portion to my X at the time  Too bad the video was not aimed in that direction or I'll have a YouTube video with many views.  When a 180 foot eucalyptus tree would fall in a wind storm you could feel the THUD.

16 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

And to think, I managed to cut down an entire tree yesterday, and nobody got hurt! It wasn't a terribly big tree, the trunk was about 8" in diameter, but still. I did get thumped pretty good on the shin by a log, but amazingly, it didn't leave a mark. I guess it's those little twigs that you have to watch out for. :giggle:

Relatively, a tree with a trunk 8" in diameter in NYC may as well be a Sequoia

• Haha 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

11 hours ago, RonC said:

I leave that stuff to the pros.  Last 40' tree I had taken down only cost me $250.  Money well spent IMHO.

I got a couple quotes to take the evergreens down, both were in the $1500 range. Cost me about $400 to do it myself and help from a neighbor.

The fun part is working out of an aerial bucket. Almost like a carnal ride as the bucket sways back and forth and it feels like the whole works is going over.

I find it very interesting that the most reaction to my thread seems to happen when the subject wanders. This is not the first time it has happened. Of course, I suppose this thread is reflective of me in real life. I tend to meander away from the subject on a regular basis.

• Haha 1

I cut down a diseased black walnut tree, about a 14" trunk two weeks. No problem but then i got carried away and went nuts on an overgrown siding. Then two days later my reward was this.

Both legs, both arms and my belly.  Kinda put a stop to heeling for now. Anyway finally past the itching stage. Last week i really could have put a bullet in my brain, just kidding guys, but it would have been a relief.

20200617_115538_resized.jpg

13 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

I cut down a diseased black walnut tree, about a 14" trunk two weeks. No problem but then i got carried away and went nuts on an overgrown siding. Then two days later my reward was this.

Both legs, both arms and my belly.  Kinda put a stop to heeling for now. Anyway finally past the itching stage. Last week i really could have put a bullet in my brain, just kidding guys, but it would have been a relief.

Ooh. That's bad. I got into poison oak a couple of years ago clearing out what is now a rose garden for my wife. The problem was, I didn't even realize it was there, so I was pulverizing it with a weed whacker before digging it up. I now know VERY WELL what it looks like. It got so bad that I had to take a day off work and go to the doctor to get steroids, because I could no longer make a fist with my left hand.

Fast forward two years later, and some of it grew back, so I very carefully snipped the few bits of it off, and set them to the side for a long time before I dispose of it. Somehow, I still got a rash on both my forearms, and no place else. It was pretty mild, though. Still, I don't understand it. I was wearing a long sleeved shirt, which I immediately took off and washed when I was done. Same with all the clothes I was wearing. One of the mysteries of life. I hope you heal soon. That is no fun at all.

• Like 1

We get Poison Ivy around here. Lucky I don't get it, but both my Ex's were very allergic to it. Around here they sometimes bring in goats to clear it. It's bad when a wildfire burns thru  it, smoke now can carry that active allergen into your lungs and poison ivy in the lungs is nasty.  You need to wear two or more layers, the oils can go thru cotton really fast.

Edited by Cali

Whenever I stay at my sister's home in south central PA I take care of their problem with poison oak, ivy, and sumac. That part of the state is the mildest area and they have all three growing there. Apparently I have an immunity to it but I still wear long sleeves and gloves as to not take it into the house after finishing. HinH

On 6/19/2020 at 5:25 PM, Jkrenzer said:

20200617_115538_resized.jpg

Wow! That's awful! Hope it clears up soon!

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thanks Jeff. The itching is all but gone and The rash is mostly just discolored skin. A few smaller regions have popped up and still some bloating in my feet. 

Case in point.

IMG_1888.jpg

Edited by Jkrenzer
  • Like 2

Hope you continue to heal (and heel) well, @Jkrenzer. I have noticed that doggoned poison oak popping back up in my garden again! I think I will get my non-allergic friend to come help me out this time, rather than risking it myself. My poor wife didn't get into it nearly as bad as I did, but the few blotches she did get took about a year to finally fade all the way.

In other news, I have gotten a new mask! Check it out:

HeelsMask.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have nothing new to report, heel-wise, but I have in fact, returned to work. It's going to be way different than it was before. The crew is far smaller, and the deadline has been pushed out to next year. We have to wear masks 100% of the time, except for lunch, and there's a bunch of other protocols we have to follow. Hopefully, when we start adding more people, folks will just shut up and actually do what they're told for once. And God help us if there should happen to be a Covid-19 case discovered within the building. There is plenty of other work around, but nothing nearly as good as this job. I intend to stay as long as they'll let me.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I have nothing new to report, heel-wise, but I have in fact, returned to work. It's going to be way different than it was before. The crew is far smaller, and the deadline has been pushed out to next year. We have to wear masks 100% of the time, except for lunch, and there's a bunch of other protocols we have to follow. Hopefully, when we start adding more people, folks will just shut up and actually do what they're told for once. And God help us if there should happen to be a Covid-19 case discovered within the building. There is plenty of other work around, but nothing nearly as good as this job. I intend to stay as long as they'll let me.

Congrats on making the life choices that provide you employment and income in today's shaky Covid economy, it's a blessing for sure.  

May your co-workers and subordinates work with you in peace.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

• 2 weeks later...

Doggone it, I just received word yesterday that we will discontinue holding in-person church services until at least August 30. We'd only been back for two weeks. So, one less place to wear heels for a while. Here is a picture of the last shoes I wore to church, which has already been posted in @Cali's Wild about Wedges thread, so yes, it's a repeat. However, I will be playing and singing for an online hymn sing in a couple of weeks, so I do have something to work toward.

In case anybody is interested, work at Facebook is going fine, but extremely slowly. They seem to be impressed with our Covid-19 protocols, and are allowing us to bring 10 additional hands in next week.

Mark&JamesWorn.JPG

• Like 2

I saw a gal wearing high heels and shorts at the grocery store yesterday, with a full grocery cart and everything, not like she'd just stopped in for something really quick.  I'm not the only one!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy folks, it's been pretty quiet around here lately. The only really cool thing that I've done lately is participate in an online hymn sing at our church, which has been re-closed until at least Aug. 30. The choir director and I took turns leading the singing and providing accompaniment, and I actually got to play the organ this time! I wore the salmon colored shirt for the video, but I wore organ shoes instead of the pumps pictured here. I still can't walk in those suckers, in case you're wondering. I put them on to model them for a fashionista friend who can't wear heels anymore due to an unfortunate combination of health issues.

The other outfit came about sort of accidentally. My wife had bought my 11 year old several t-shirts, because of course, he's a growing boy, and you have to do that every so often. She overestimated his size by quite a bit, however, and so I wound up with them. They're crappy t-shirts, but my immediate thought with the yellow one was, "I bet that would go with my DvF wedges pretty well." And it does.

A further thought about my fashionista friend. I know her from college days, and I remember she used to have these black suede pumps that she wore fairly regularly. Well, not regularly like what we do here, things was different back in them days, but that's sort of my whole point. To me, at the time, these suede pumps were shockingly tall, and they absolutely were, compared to what most girls were wearing at the time. They were every bit of 3 1/2 inches. I think sometimes we remember the past differently than it really was.

5inchHeels.jpg

YellowOutfit.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Howdy folks, it's been pretty quiet around here lately. The only really cool thing that I've done lately is participate in an online hymn sing at our church, which has been re-closed until at least Aug. 30. The choir director and I took turns leading the singing and providing accompaniment, and I actually got to play the organ this time! I wore the salmon colored shirt for the video, but I wore organ shoes instead of the pumps pictured here. I still can't walk in those suckers, in case you're wondering. I put them on to model them for a fashionista friend who can't wear heels anymore due to an unfortunate combination of health issues.

The other outfit came about sort of accidentally. My wife had bought my 11 year old several t-shirts, because of course, he's a growing boy, and you have to do that every so often. She overestimated his size by quite a bit, however, and so I wound up with them. They're crappy t-shirts, but my immediate thought with the yellow one was, "I bet that would go with my DvF wedges pretty well." And it does.

A further thought about my fashionista friend. I know her from college days, and I remember she used to have these black suede pumps that she wore fairly regularly. Well, not regularly like what we do here, things was different back in them days, but that's sort of my whole point. To me, at the time, these suede pumps were shockingly tall, and they absolutely were, compared to what most girls were wearing at the time. They were every bit of 3 1/2 inches. I think sometimes we remember the past differently than it really was.

5inchHeels.jpg

YellowOutfit.jpg

The Pumps look good on you.  Practice and you will be able to make them part of your daily wear.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

I know your a open shoe kinda guy, but those pumps are beautiful.  Hope you start wearing those as openly as your other shoes.

The main trouble with these shoes, besides the fact that I can't walk in them, is that they are not leather. My feet do not deal well with them. Can you hook a brother up and recommend something in a similar style that IS leather? I think that would help my enthusiasm or lack thereof a great deal.

Wearing that style of heels needs to be worn wearing nylon hose.   Stay-ups or trouser stockings should do nicely.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

13 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

The main trouble with these shoes, besides the fact that I can't walk in them, is that they are not leather. My feet do not deal well with them. Can you hook a brother up and recommend something in a similar style that IS leather? I think that would help my enthusiasm or lack thereof a great deal.

Italian heels dot com. Watch out though, i bought 3 pair from them. Loved them, shown two of them here, red and light grey, both incedibly well worn. My black pair, 100 dollars, eaten by my dog. No dog, go for it. You won't come back.  Just saying. 

48 minutes ago, Jkrenzer said:

Italian heels dot com. Watch out though, i bought 3 pair from them. Loved them, shown two of them here, red and light grey, both incedibly well worn. My black pair, 100 dollars, eaten by my dog. No dog, go for it. You won't come back.  Just saying. 

I suggest dog food as a better use of you money.