The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

On 3/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, Puffer said:

In one sense your work with moving the mirror reflects well on you - but, on the other hand ... :roll:    

Did you get any reaction to your footwear at the supermarket?

Nope. I rarely get any discernible reaction anymore wearing such a tame outfit these days. I guess the only way I could make it any tamer would be to wear wedges!

As far as the actual photographs go, I don't like taking any of them. Perhaps it shows. Now that I look at the last one, it's goofy as hell. I am trying to show off the heels, but it's awkward. I don't actually stand like that in real life.

17 hours ago, hiddenheels said:

That's a nice casual look! I also would be curious about reactions...

I live in a small community. I think after all these years, people just know me, even if they don't "know" me.

I live in a smaller community and go to the same places frequently.  After a while folks see you in heels and may / may not say anything but, being human they certainly tell others about you.  Over the years, I have found out that quite a few folks wind up knowing that I wear "girls shoes."  It does not seem to effect my relationships or friendships which is nice.  People just get to know others by what they do.  Some collect stamps, have classic cars, unique jobs, whatever.  The fact that I wear high heels just makes "me" (and Mr. Mlrose) more unique for conversation.  Smile....   sf

PS....   When I was in Southern MN last summer for a wedding, at the reception there were some folks talking about a guy in central IA who wore high heels around town.  ha ha....   

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

@SF can I get you stop calling them girl's shoes and just call them shoes or shoes with heels.  You need to normalize them to yourself and to others.  When you call them girls shoes you imply that there is sometime wrong with what you have on. You've been wearing them for years (decades), they are just your shoes now.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cali said:

@SF can I get you stop calling them girl's shoes and just call them shoes or shoes with heels.  You need to normalize them to yourself and to others.  When you call them girls shoes you imply that there is sometime wrong with what you have on. You've been wearing them for years (decades), they are just your shoes now.

I think that SF was merely quoting what others had said, i.e. they said that 'SF wears girls' shoes' (and with the apostrophe correctly placed, of course!).   But you are right to condemn that label as a solecism.

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

I think that SF was merely quoting what others had said, i.e. they said that 'SF wears girls' shoes' (and with the apostrophe correctly placed, of course!).   But you are right to condemn that label as a solecism.

Isn’t it amazing how adults can be so childish?  On the school playground boys loved jeering things to each other like “you throw the ball like a girl”.  How is that any different from the jeer, “you wear shoes like a girl”.  You don’t even have to wear heels to get this - I get those comments just by tucking my pants into my boots.  “Only women wear boots that way,” as if that is some sort of insult.  What are these guys saying about women, is their fashion so horrible that men can’t learn or adapt anything from them?

2 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Isn’t it amazing how adults can be so childish?  On the school playground boys loved jeering things to each other like “you throw the ball like a girl”.  How is that any different from the jeer, “you wear shoes like a girl”.  You don’t even have to wear heels to get this - I get those comments just by tucking my pants into my boots.  “Only women wear boots that way,” as if that is some sort of insult.  What are these guys saying about women, is their fashion so horrible that men can’t learn or adapt anything from them?

Lately I have noticed a lot of young Hispanic males wearing their jeans tucked into western boots around Oak Cliff.  I'm even seeing construction guys doing it and we all know how bad they can tease/harass each other.  It's just coming around again.  In old times it was not uncommon but the practice ended after WWII, briefly seen in the 70's, but not really seen until today.  Skinny jeans are so common now and work great for this look since they don't bunch up above the boot tops.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Yes, that sort of 'insult' is common in the UK, and not just confined to schoolchildren.   (The expression 'Big girl's blouse', directed at any man perceived as 'soft' comes to mind.)  But at least the wearing of knee-high (or higher) boots by men is an accepted fashion in the US, which is scarcely the case here, alas (unless you are Shyheels!).   The comment here to a man in knee-boots (other than proper riding boots or rubber wellingtons) would more likely be 'Only women wear those boots', regardless of whether they had trousers tucked in.

1 hour ago, Puffer said:

But at least the wearing of knee-high (or higher) boots by men is an accepted fashion in the US, which is scarcely the case here, alas (unless you are Shyheels!).   The comment here to a man in knee-boots (other than proper riding boots or rubber wellingtons) would more likely be 'Only women wear those boots', regardless of whether they had trousers tucked in.

Unfortunately it is not really seen in the US either, unless you happen to be a senior in the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, and if you have gotten to that point you’re not caring what people might call you:  

Secretary_of_Defense_Robert_Gates_and_me

That said, I recognize that there is some difference in perception there, as my wife said that she felt like everyone was staring at my knee high cowboy boots with 3” heels while we were walking around London, even though they are under the trousers.  

Edited by p1ng74

9 hours ago, Puffer said:

Yes, that sort of 'insult' is common in the UK, and not just confined to schoolchildren.   (The expression 'Big girl's blouse', directed at any man perceived as 'soft' comes to mind.)  But at least the wearing of knee-high (or higher) boots by men is an accepted fashion in the US, which is scarcely the case here, alas (unless you are Shyheels!).   The comment here to a man in knee-boots (other than proper riding boots or rubber wellingtons) would more likely be 'Only women wear those boots', regardless of whether they had trousers tucked in.

I have never once had that comment made to me and I wear my knee boots frequently, and always with my skinny jeans tucked into the boots.

AS a matter of fact nobody seems to notice or care and the few comments I have had - from both sexes - have been positive.  

I have noticed that it's becoming more common around here to see construction workers tucking their pants in. What I haven't really seen is guys doing this outside of work. In case you missed it the first time, I attempted my own take on the knee high boot thing.

highbootssuit.PNG

• Like 4

On 3/29/2020 at 8:25 AM, mlroseplant said:

Also, I finally repositioned the mirror in my dining room as I had been promising my wife to do for about a year.

"When a man says he'll do something, he'll do it! You don't have to keep nagging him every three months!"

You reminded me of that quip I saw on Facebook a while back! :giggle:

Your photography would be better if you shine a light on yourself. You are backlit in the photo, and the camera is looking at the light, shuts the aperture to compensate for what it thinks is too much light, and the photo comes out too dark overall. The details in your shadow are dark and not very clear. So if you have a utility lamp or can position a floor lamp to illuminate you and your reflection, the photo would be much better. 

I like those sandals!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

"When a man says he'll do something, he'll do it! You don't have to keep nagging him every three months!"

More like 'every three hours' here!   My wife seems to think that Coronavirus lockdown requires (not merely facilitates) every outstanding task in the house to be done without delay, and cheerfully.   (I'm retired, so being stuck indoors doesn't make much difference.   Nor have I ever been incapable of doing or generally unwilling to do what is needed.   Perhaps I should self-isolate!)

Edited by Puffer
typo
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

You reminded me of that quip I saw on Facebook a while back! :giggle:

Your photography would be better if you shine a light on yourself. You are backlit in the photo, and the camera is looking at the light, shuts the aperture to compensate for what it thinks is too much light, and the photo comes out too dark overall. The details in your shadow are dark and not very clear. So if you have a utility lamp or can position a floor lamp to illuminate you and your reflection, the photo would be much better. 

I like those sandals!

Steve

I'm going to try the auxiliary lamp thing, I think there's a chance it might work. The fundamental problem, besides the fact that I no longer have a proper working camera, is that the overhead light in that room is visible in the corner of the mirror no matter which angle you stand. Now that I've repositioned the mirror, the problem is even worse. If you turn the light off, it's way too dark for my phone to compensate without using the flash, and using flash in a mirror never produces very good results. As I've said before, I don't even really like taking these pictures, but people seem to want to see them. Therefore, this is my compromise. I think I can stand to take enough time to try the lamp thing, though.

I've been off work for only two weeks, and I've already started to get fat. THAT didn't take long.

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

As John Donne said no man is an island, but you may want to take a crack at it

If it wasn't for the current travel restrictions, I would be very tempted to move to one, the more isolated the better.   But I would take my full toolkit (and a couple of pairs of heels).

One thing about this staying home all the time is that I have the opportunity to connect with my people from Vietnam more often. I was talking with a family member yesterday, and the subject came up of how many steps per day our phone says we usually take vs. how many steps we are taking under these restrictions. At one point, I sent her a picture of my work boots, and said this is what I'm required to wear at work. She laughed (electronically) and said, "All I need is a pair of slippers." Which re-reminded me of why I believe so many Vietnamese women wear high heels almost every day compared to American women. It's because they don't actually have to wear them all that much. My cousin may present herself at the front door in the morning looking like the picture below, but once in the office, it's those rubber sport slippers for the rest of the day.

TiOfficeHeels.PNG

• Like 1

That could very well be the case.  Willing to wear heels more often but for much shorter periods of time.  

I think the recent trend toward women quitting heels is not just a trend this time around.  In the past, yes, there have been periods when heels were not being worn.  However, it was fashion that dictated the change, not women's attitudes.  This time around, fashion is being dictated to by women who have rebelled against the wearing of heels of any sort.  Heck, not even heels, but dress shoe styles period.  Seems all they want to wear now is athletic related footwear. as we're seeing things like lace up gym shoes with formal attire.  While I could be wrong, and hope that I am, I think that the statement that heels are dead is in fact a reasonable possibility.  Sure, it will take a while for heels to completely disappear,  and I likely won't see the final results in what's left of my lifetime, but the rebellion against heels is very real today, and I think it will end up being the end of heels as a common and desirable footwear option for women.  Hey, maybe men can take it over then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonC said:

That could very well be the case.  Willing to wear heels more often but for much shorter periods of time.  

I think the recent trend toward women quitting heels is not just a trend this time around.  In the past, yes, there have been periods when heels were not being worn.  However, it was fashion that dictated the change, not women's attitudes.  This time around, fashion is being dictated to by women who have rebelled against the wearing of heels of any sort.  Heck, not even heels, but dress shoe styles period.  Seems all they want to wear now is athletic related footwear. as we're seeing things like lace up gym shoes with formal attire.  While I could be wrong, and hope that I am, I think that the statement that heels are dead is in fact a reasonable possibility.  Sure, it will take a while for heels to completely disappear,  and I likely won't see the final results in what's left of my lifetime, but the rebellion against heels is very real today, and I think it will end up being the end of heels as a common and desirable footwear option for women.  Hey, maybe men can take it over then!

I think women are fed up with aching calves, the damage it can cause your posture etc... plus what's posted above. I saw so much more of smart office skirts plus althletic footwear or flats by women, rather than heels, whilst observing people going to work before the shutdown.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RonC said:

I think the problem is that so many in positions of power have made it a requirement that women wear heels to work or to certain occasions, without truly understanding what that means. Now we're getting to the point where we're realizing that hey, maybe that's not such a good idea. Should have been done long ago. While I personally cannot understand the pain of wearing "normal" height heels, say, 3 inches or less, I must pause and realize that I have spent years of effort to get to this point, and it may be that I have a physiology predisposed to wearing heels often. Therefore, I cannot possibly imagine bitching about having to wear 3 inch heels to work. That's not a heel! The thing is, no one is telling me I have to do this, it's my choice. I wonder if we hadn't put so much pressure on women to wear heels for certain things, whether more of them would now choose to wear them voluntarily. I do think that eventually people will get tired of wearing tennis shoes everywhere.

• Like 1

The fashion pendulum is constantly swinging and is driven by all sorts of social mechanisms. High heels have been iconic - they will be remembered and revived as times and fashions continue to evolve.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SkirtDude said:

I saw so much more of smart office skirts plus athletic footwear or flats by women, rather than heels, whilst observing people going to work before the shutdown.

I have also seen male CEOs of large companies going onto stage wearing sneakers with their suits.  If they feel comfortable branching out in that direction, then I'm going to be comfortable going my way wearing 4" heels into the office.  

The prevalence of people wearing more casual footwear only reinforces the association of heels as formal wear.  When the heels come out, it makes a statement - you're dressing up.  The power of heels in making that statement will never go away, even if people choose not to exercise it as frequently.  

• Like 3

We had to make a dangerous excursion to Costco today. Just for the record, we did NOT buy toilet paper. I did get a random compliment on my shoes, my trusty Nine West Planteras, from a 30-ish white woman, accompanied by her evident significant other. She declined to compliment me on my mask, however, despite my fishing for compliments. Oh, and another notable thing--when we entered the store, I was fumbling about trying to find my membership card, and the lady said, "Never mind, I believe you. I've seen you here a lot of times before." I said, "Well, how do you recognize me with this mask on?" Without missing a beat she said, "Well, from your smile!" Yeah, right. I just wanted to see if she would actually say it. And remember, this is not in my small hometown, it was in the "big" city!

CovidOutfit.PNG

• Like 6

If it wasn't for the virus protection, I'd think you were planning to hold up a stagecoach.   (But the witnesses would surely identify you from your shoes!) :fine:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

If it wasn't for the virus protection, I'd think you were planning to hold up a stagecoach.   (But the witnesses would surely identify you from your shoes!) :fine:

If I were planning to rob a stagecoach, I would buy some brand new trainers and a track suit. No one would ever suspect it was me!

• Like 2

Just for the heck of it, because what else am I going to do, I decided to put on the same outfit I wore to Costco the other day (minus the mask), only wear my new Pleaser pumps with it. Just to see what it looked like. Here it is:

PleaserSweater.jpg

• Like 8