The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

I have had two 50 pound check bags for each of the international trips including the domestic portion, while my niece had a carry-on only ticket on Norwegian Air - a very low cost carrier. I fly Southwest mostly now since my skis fly free.

But I also get a "shopping list" when I visit my family in foreign lands, so I need the space.

I have finally found some full length leggings that actually fit me, in other words, the legs are not too long. They are Jockey brand, and they're 8% spandex, 92% cotton, size small. I do not know whether they have a model name or number, but I am happy. I have also bought a lot of other cute shit last week. I have a big problem posting decent pictures, so I might post some crappy ones soon. Then again, I might not get around to it. That is all.

I'm laughing as I read this.  I just unpacked two pairs of legging  (denim perfect lift) I got on sale. They are size 10R. I have a pair of 10S in the same style and wanted something longer. The 10s are great for my knee high boots because it doesn't how long/short your leggings are. But the 10R are TOO long....  Congratulation @mlroseplant  for finding leggings that are the right length, it's tough.

Edited by Cali

As tentatively promised, here is a crappy picture of one of my new outfits. I wore this to go to the Post Office, the bank, and a local place called Theisen's to get new tires put on my son's car. I got quite a few looks, all from little girls and old ladies. The reason why I decided to post is because my 80 year old father came over to my house in the middle of my errand running, and needed help figuring out why his tire pressure light on his car dashboard was on. I have an old-timey gas station tire inflator (in other words, nice) and a fairly nice air compressor system, so I was able to help him out. He complimented me on my new hat and coat, and the boots as well. He was actually enthusiastic. I figure that's worth something. My 20 year old son told me a few days ago that these particular boots suited me. We'll see if y'all agree.

Wool coat: Giacca. Cotton sweater: American Eagle Outfitters. Hat: no-name Chinese. Leggings: Jockey. Boots: Calvin Klein "Prairy." With 4 3/4" tapered block heel and 3/4" platform.

Blackwoolcoat.jpg

I had a friend say that I look like I should be walking hand in hand with the Morton Salt girl. I found the comment rather amusing.

MortonSaltGirl.png

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 1:55 PM, mlroseplant said:

As tentatively promised, here is a crappy picture of one of my new outfits. I wore this to go to the Post Office, the bank, and a local place called Theisen's to get new tires put on my son's car. I got quite a few looks, all from little girls and old ladies. The reason why I decided to post is because my 80 year old father came over to my house in the middle of my errand running, and needed help figuring out why his tire pressure light on his car dashboard was on. I have an old-timey gas station tire inflator (in other words, nice) and a fairly nice air compressor system, so I was able to help him out. He complimented me on my new hat and coat, and the boots as well. He was actually enthusiastic. I figure that's worth something. My 20 year old son told me a few days ago that these particular boots suited me. We'll see if y'all agree.

Wool coat: Giacca. Cotton sweater: American Eagle Outfitters. Hat: no-name Chinese. Leggings: Jockey. Boots: Calvin Klein "Prairy." With 4 3/4" tapered block heel and 3/4" platform.

I had a friend say that I look like I should be walking hand in hand with the Morton Salt girl. I found the comment rather amusing.

Awesome.   You look happy!  Thanks for showing yourself.  

21 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

A very cute girl wearing my boots. Which are way cooler than the boots she came in on.

love her hair.

• Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

23 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Nice looking boots mlroseplant. Kitchen looks familiar. The girl is a new addition ;-) HinH

Because of the Hanoi Connection, the girl has been around since 2014, but sporadically. What do expect from a sorority girl? She doesn't want to hang around with OLD people all the time! I should add a sorority girl who graduated from college summa cum laude, when English is not her first language.

She has been fully Americanized when it comes to high heels. When she was 18-20, I don't believe I ever saw her in flats, like any Vietnamese girl of a certain social class. Haha, that is FAR from the case now! She won't wear actual heels without a very good reason these days, and remarked when she tried on my boots (which were a full size too big for her) that they are way higher than anything she wears regularly, but she liked being tall!

On 1/28/2020 at 2:34 AM, kneehighs said:

love her hair.

Yeah, she's got nice hair, but it's processed within an inch of its life, and it's not going to be very pretty in a few years if she doesn't quit that! I've seen that happen too many times.

• Like 2

I don't have much ruminating this week, but I do have news, and that is that my wife and younger son will return home from Vietnam in just a few days. I kind of went a little nuts while they were gone, buying a lot of stuff on Poshmark that I'd wanted to experiment with, but hadn't really wanted to deal with all the static from my wife about why was I wasting all this money on silly stuff. So I feel somewhat guilty about that, but you know, it's really small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, and I have discovered some interesting things.

No. 1: I have been looking for winter hat ideas for years. It seems there is nothing so utilitarian for keeping one's head and ears warm as a stocking cap, but it's a very casual style that doesn't go well with nicer coats and heels. I managed to find a couple of alternatives that are acceptable. I bought a wool beret that can be pulled over the tops of one's ears, and that's ok for short periods. But more significantly, I found a lined sort of stocking cap with a hard bill/visor in front that pretty much serves the same function as a stocking cap, but with a much more polished appearance. I have gotten several compliments on it, as pictured several posts above. I now have the same cap in bright red and mauve as well as black.

No. 2: I now own a couple of what you might call dresses. They don't seem like dresses in the usual sense, they're basically really long sweaters. My intent was to get a couple of sweaters long enough to reliably and consistently cover my private area so that I could wear leggings as pants out in public without creating an image I don't care to create. 'Nuff said. However, what I wound up getting in a couple of cases is something considerably longer than necessary to satisfy the aforementioned requirements. And you know what? They don't look bad! As long as I pay attention, stand up straight and engage my core, that is. I'm not saying I'm fat, because I'm not, but my abs aren't what they once were, and it's very easy for me to look 4 months pregnant. Maybe I'm just nitpicking myself in the mirror, I don't know.

No. 3: I now need to figure out whether I'm going to become a handbag guy. My latest purchases have no pockets, and although my pocket requirements are very minimal, zero pockets ain't gonna work. It may be that I will decide to dial back everything because of this pocket problem. I am not at all sure that I really want to go where I'm heading, 'specially once the wife gets back. There is always that to consider in the grand scheme of things.

No 4: I'm going to have to figure out where to put all my new shoes. I don't have enough room presently. And my new sweaters. And my new coats. And my new hats. And my old hats. Right now, they're sitting on the basement floor. That is not a great place to keep them, especially once the spring rains come. Looks like I will be building more shelves soon.

Have a great week, everyone! Thanks for tuning in.

• Like 5

Glad to hear that your family is safe and well in their travels!  

It’s funny how experimentation works.  I also had the idea to try some shirt dresses and wear them as a top layer, and wound up trying something longer and liking it enough to keep it too:

724A4907-270B-4F06-8EAB-C9162423AEE7.thumb.jpeg.1a12820e5603feadfb53534a0605754c.jpeg

Same thing happened Friday when I was out looking for an overall-looking layer... I’ll take some proper pictures of them later.  

Man bags are in.  They can really complete an outfit.  Just for fun, I grabbed a camo bag to use in this photo to match the jacket, and I think it makes a statement!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Glad to hear that your family is safe and well in their travels!  

It’s funny how experimentation works.  I also had the idea to try some shirt dresses and wear them as a top layer, and wound up trying something longer and liking it enough to keep it too:

724A4907-270B-4F06-8EAB-C9162423AEE7.thumb.jpeg.1a12820e5603feadfb53534a0605754c.jpeg

Same thing happened Friday when I was out looking for an overall-looking layer... I’ll take some proper pictures of them later.  

Man bags are in.  They can really complete an outfit.  Just for fun, I grabbed a camo bag to use in this photo to match the jacket, and I think it makes a statement!  

I'm spending a rather long time looking at the first picture (with the dress), trying to decide whether I like it or not. I mean, for myself. You look just fine! I think my objection, and this is a difficult one to overcome because of what's generally available, is that the neck opening is way bigger than I would wear. In this particular case, you would be showing boobies if you weren't wearing a shirt underneath it. Many of the women's tops I like have this same problem--I can't wear them unless I put something underneath like you have, and that's not so great in the summer. In my case, it's because I'm too hairy, and I don't really care to add YET ANOTHER thing to shave. That's why you will always find me in crew neck shirts, even in the summer.

As far as the bag goes, I'm kind of with @Cali on this one at this point--I don't want to carry something else with me if I don't have to. Sounds like something I would accidentally leave laying someplace.

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I'm spending a rather long time looking at the first picture (with the dress), trying to decide whether I like it or not. I mean, for myself. You look just fine! I think my objection, and this is a difficult one to overcome because of what's generally available, is that the neck opening is way bigger than I would wear. In this particular case, you would be showing boobies if you weren't wearing a shirt underneath it. Many of the women's tops I like have this same problem--I can't wear them unless I put something underneath like you have, and that's not so great in the summer. In my case, it's because I'm too hairy, and I don't really care to add YET ANOTHER thing to shave. That's why you will always find me in crew neck shirts, even in the summer.

As far as the bag goes, I'm kind of with @Cali on this one at this point--I don't want to carry something else with me if I don't have to. Sounds like something I would accidentally leave laying someplace.

Well, I don’t have any boobs to show lol.  I don’t have any hair on my chest, but yes I agree I don’t feel right wearing it out unless I wear a shirt underneath.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I don't have much ruminating this week, but I do have news, and that is that my wife and younger son will return home from Vietnam in just a few days. I kind of went a little nuts while they were gone, buying a lot of stuff on Poshmark that I'd wanted to experiment with, but hadn't really wanted to deal with all the static from my wife about why was I wasting all this money on silly stuff. So I feel somewhat guilty about that, but you know, it's really small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, and I have discovered some interesting things.

No. 1: I have been looking for winter hat ideas for years. It seems there is nothing so utilitarian for keeping one's head and ears warm as a stocking cap, but it's a very casual style that doesn't go well with nicer coats and heels. I managed to find a couple of alternatives that are acceptable. I bought a wool beret that can be pulled over the tops of one's ears, and that's ok for short periods. But more significantly, I found a lined sort of stocking cap with a hard bill/visor in front that pretty much serves the same function as a stocking cap, but with a much more polished appearance. I have gotten several compliments on it, as pictured several posts above. I now have the same cap in bright red and mauve as well as black.

No. 2: I now own a couple of what you might call dresses. They don't seem like dresses in the usual sense, they're basically really long sweaters. My intent was to get a couple of sweaters long enough to reliably and consistently cover my private area so that I could wear leggings as pants out in public without creating an image I don't care to create. 'Nuff said. However, what I wound up getting in a couple of cases is something considerably longer than necessary to satisfy the aforementioned requirements. And you know what? They don't look bad! As long as I pay attention, stand up straight and engage my core, that is. I'm not saying I'm fat, because I'm not, but my abs aren't what they once were, and it's very easy for me to look 4 months pregnant. Maybe I'm just nitpicking myself in the mirror, I don't know.

No. 3: I now need to figure out whether I'm going to become a handbag guy. My latest purchases have no pockets, and although my pocket requirements are very minimal, zero pockets ain't gonna work. It may be that I will decide to dial back everything because of this pocket problem. I am not at all sure that I really want to go where I'm heading, 'specially once the wife gets back. There is always that to consider in the grand scheme of things.

No 4: I'm going to have to figure out where to put all my new shoes. I don't have enough room presently. And my new sweaters. And my new coats. And my new hats. And my old hats. Right now, they're sitting on the basement floor. That is not a great place to keep them, especially once the spring rains come. Looks like I will be building more shelves soon.

Have a great week, everyone! Thanks for tuning in.

It's nice to have some time to yourself every once in awhile....Hope all goes well when the wife gets home....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Well, I don’t have any boobs to show lol.  I don’t have any hair on my chest, but yes I agree I don’t feel right wearing it out unless I wear a shirt underneath.  

Haha, I guess I meant "you" in the collective sense, not "you" specifically. Language is an imperfect vehicle.

I attended my precinct caucus last night. I wore basically what you see up there with the Morton Salt Girl, only with jeans instead of leggings, and lace up heeled oxfords instead of knee-high boots. And oh yeah, a cherry red cap instead of a black one. I am 100% sure there are now pictures of me out there somewhere on the internet, though I doubt that any of them were taken for the purpose of photographing me personally. The whole process took about two hours, and I was standing the whole time. Luckily, I chose well and didn't wear anything too crazy, I barely noticed my feet.

20 hours ago, pebblesf said:

It's nice to have some time to yourself every once in awhile....Hope all goes well when the wife gets home....

It looks like the weather might actually cooperate (knock on wood). They come back on Saturday. And thank goodness they are not flying in from China.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shyheels said:

High heels would seem to be the least of things that were flustering the caucus in Iowa last night....

Actually the suspect "app" you might have heard about worked just fine for us, but that may have been due to the fact that we are a small precinct, and we finished our proceedings early.

Was it you wearing your high heel boots that was responsible for the mass confusion in counting candidates votes ? ;-)

• Haha 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

On 2/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, Bubba136 said:

Was it you wearing your high heel boots that was responsible for the mass confusion in counting candidates votes ? ;-)

I'm sure that was it! There IS power in high heels, after all!

I would like to submit a couple more selfies of some stuff I've bought while my wife has been gone. I got this mint green sweater by Leith. Don't know who "Leith" is, but that's what it says on the tag. Again, the purpose of buying this was to experiment with wearing leggings as pants. I bought this sweater on Poshmark, and I think it was brand new, there were still tags and stickers on it. It is labeled "small," but it's not terribly small, feels more like a medium. Oddly enough, I got another sweater labeled "small" that I basically couldn't even get on, so you just never know--that's the breaks when shopping online.

So two things I didn't realize about this sweater is that number one, it's purposefully longer in the back than it is in the front. Number two, it's quite loose around the bottom. It's OK, but in a perfect world I would have the whole bottom edge be the length of the back half, and have it be considerably tighter. It's almost as if this were made for a petite woman with an enormous ass. Maybe it was. At any rate, my misgivings about the garment did not prevent me from wearing it to choir rehearsal, where one of the members immediately complimented me on the color and wanted to touch it.

With it I wore my longer Jockey leggings and my new Miu Miu shearling mules, which are quite noisy on hard floors, by the way. I also wore my new shortish gray peacoat and my new mauve stylized stocking cap. Kind of a mishmash of colors, but I didn't have a great deal of time to think this all out. It was hard to miss me, anyway. I didn't get out in the general public like a grocery store, so I can't really gauge reaction of people who don't actually know me.

LeggingsSweater.jpg

LeggingsCoat.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 2

I have been busy lately for a couple of reasons, one of which is that we've gone to 10 hour days at work recently, so I haven't had a lot of time to go out of the house, other than to work. The other reason is that we've been having sewer problems, which is affecting my shoes and clothes, as I keep them in the basement. Don't worry, nothing has gotten ruined, it's just that they are harder to access now, as I've piled other things out of harm's way until we get this problem resolved.

As I have been spending more time at work, and my work is relatively physically easy, other than having to walk a lot, I am toying once again with the idea of getting a work boot with a bit of a heel on it. For several years, I've worn completely flat boots. So I've ordered these Timberland boots, and depending on what they actually seem like when I get them, I may wear them to work. Or I might return them. They are not really work boots, but given my situation right at the moment, it won't matter. It was rather difficult finding a pair of heeled boots without a side zip on them, which is a dead giveaway that it's not a work boot. They are supposed to come on Tuesday, so we'll see.

TimberlandWork.png

• Like 3

I went to a mini high school class reunion last night on the spur of the moment. There were only about a half dozen of us there, but there was one fellow I wanted to see in particular, whom I hadn't seen in over 30 years. Once upon a time, we used to be pretty good friends, but you know how life goes. We ate at a restaurant, then went to a bar afterwards. I was wearing my new-to-me American Eagle Outfitters striped sweater, skinny jeans, and my DVF olive green wedge clogs. Nobody commented on my shoes at all, I'm not sure anybody even noticed, given the lighting of the venue(s), but about half of the group already knew about my unusual footwear already. The reason why I'm even writing anything is because I got an unexpected compliment on my sweater by one of the female bartenders. She was in her early 20s by my estimate, and she was very insistent that she was sincere about her compliment, and wanted to know where I got it. I told her I got it on Poshmark, and that a guy my size had to be very creative to buy clothes that fit. I told her it was a women's sweater, and she thought that was cool. She couldn't see my shoes from behind the bar, so that didn't even enter into the equation.

In case you're wondering, I am going to get a haircut tomorrow. It's time. Also, I kind of match the woman next to me, don't I?

AEStripedSweater.png

Edited by mlroseplant
Clarity
  • Like 3

Referencing the last paragraph in the above post, I went to my barber this week. Through circumstance, the barbershop where I've been going for more years than I care to remember has been bought out by a woman, and I've continued to go there just because I like the place. The proprietor wears high heels to cut hair in nearly 100% of the time. Nothing too outrageous in height, usually 2 or 3 inches difference, often she'll wear a 4 inch heel with a 1 inch platform, and that's almost always a wedge.

However, I thought these boots she was wearing on this particular day were worth a post. I did not post all of her out of privacy concerns. She got these boots for Christmas from  her husband, and I won't get into the complicated story, but she had a request to wear them and wound up wearing them right to work. Some other customer asked her if she was going to wear them all day, or whether they were just for show, and she said definitely she would wear them all day.

Usually, we sort of struggle to have a conversation, as we really have nothing in common, but that was not a problem on this particular day. I only wish I had worn something nicer than my plain Coach Rana clogs.

RhinestoneBoots1.PNG

RhinestoneBoots2.PNG

• Like 5

On 2/2/2020 at 9:31 AM, mlroseplant said:

my wife and younger son will return home from Vietnam in just a few days

Speaking of Vietnam, this video popped up in my recommended videos in YouTube.    Reminded me of you and your wife.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

16 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Speaking of Vietnam, this video popped up in my recommended videos in YouTube.    Reminded me of you and your wife.

Like the disclaimer says, a strong sense of humor is suggested! Believe it or not, my wife and I met on one of these types of dating sites (not this particular one), and I still think it's absolutely amazing that we actually found each other. I don't know about THIS particular website, but others I had experience with in the past were cesspools of humanity as far as I'm concerned. I have no idea how legitimately sincere people actually met each other.

The part about taking her to Vietnamese karaoke was accurate, except for one important detail: Every single sound setup in Vietnam or elsewhere in the world designed for Vietnamese karaoke has the echo turned up to the max. They think this makes a bad singer sound acceptable, and a mediocre singer sound good. I can assure you, IT DOES NOT. What it does do is make a good singer sound bad. And when I say the clip about the karaoke was accurate, I mean it. Yeah, that's what the young man is feeling right now. In 5 or 10 years, he will be listening to the same people sing the same songs on the same bad sound system, and it will turn from exciting fun into something cringeworthy. But then, I'm looking at this from my personal perspective as a musician.

And yeah, they do care what other people think, that's why no heels for me in Vietnam, and she doesn't really like me to wear heels when we visit other Vietnamese people here. I couldn't give two craps about what the labels on my clothes say (although if it has the union label, that's a plus), I drive an 18 year old Buick by choice, and I live in kind of a dumpy, old house (but in a nicer neighborhood than I deserve). That is not true of most Vietnamese. They like to show off their designer labels, etc. Again, a generalization, but largely true. I don't know exactly why this is.

If, heaven forbid, something happened to my wife and I was trying to find another woman from Vietnam, I would NEVER, repeat NEVER use one of these dating sites. EVER. I now have enough of a social network, I wouldn't need to anyway. It makes me shudder a little bit thinking about it. Long live my wife!

• Like 3