The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

On 12/5/2019 at 11:45 PM, Cali said:

Pant Talk, great since I have just been looking to skinny jeans and leggings myself and am quite happy with what I found

Have you tried "petite" size jeans? Although I really like my short shorts (3-5 inch inseams) in the summer (and fall), I was wearing 32 and 34 inch inseams on my long pants. Hiding most of my heels. However a recent trip to my doctor's showed I had shrunk 1.5 inches, (you're lucky you only shrunk less than an inch).

This years shoe goals was to start showing more of my heels, especially my tall boots. Why have them if you got to hide them. But that requires skinny jeans, something I stayed away from. But last week I got some Express Denim Perfect Lift leggings in 10 SHORT and Levis 311 in 30 X 30. The Express legging and skin tight with a very soft feel and end just above the ankles. I had no problem with the pockets holding what I needed them to hold. While the Levis are skin tight until just above the ankles and end at the ankles.

Well I have worn the leggings three days this week to work with my Madden Girl motorcycle boots and some booties. Today I wore the Levis with my JS Rachie stilettos and holiday theme socks.  The whole shoes were exposed and the white snowflakes on my socks contrasted with the dark black Rachie. I can fully understand and appreciate this look now.  You really feel sexy in it. I'm thinking of getting some Levis 311 30 X 28 (the shortest) next time so I can show more shoes.  Just wish they had more workable pockets.

I have posted a picture of what I'm talking about when I say "cropped pants that are not skin tight." This is someone I know, which is why I have cropped out her head. I just find those loose, cropped pants to be unflattering on practically everybody. Of course, that is only the beginning of what is wrong with this outfit, but we're talking about pants here. For reference, this woman is about 27 years old. Also for reference is a picture of her mother, who is my age, who doesn't seem to suffer from these fashion problems.

maicroppants.PNG

chiding.PNG

11 hours ago, RonC said:

I agree, those pants look absurd. Mom looks quite nice though!

Mom is a honey! Actually, Daughter is a honey, too, she just doesn't know how to dress.

Speaking of not knowing how to dress, this may be one of those times in my case. Here is another early church service outfit. The pants and the shirt just happened to match exactly. I had never noticed it before. I managed to fit sandals into the outfit yet one more time, on December 8th!

alaiaburgandy.PNG

• Like 3

I have always wondered if cropped pants with wide/flare legs is trying to achieve a silhouette similar to a skirt that length, while retaining some of the practicality of pants.  It’s never looked quite right to me either.  

Edited by p1ng74

I have made kind of a big deal about still wearing sandals even though it's December. However, up to now, I haven't worn sandals unless it's warm enough to ditch my coat at least from the car to whatever heated building I'm going into. I'm thinking about this because 1) I like wearing sandals, and 2) I see that a lot of women, particularly younger women, wear sandals all winter if they're just going somewhere like the grocery store or whatever. However, it seems like this look is limited to rubber flip flops or those awful rubber "sport" slides, worn with something sloppy, like sweat pants. I've yet to observe a woman wearing heeled sandals in the winter, with the possible exception of at a very formal event. So what do you think? Would it look too damn goofy to wear heeled sandals with an overcoat? Would it make a difference about the style of the sandal? Obviously, my Candies style mules present a way different look than a sandal with more coverage.

Mlrose....   Well, like you I am a sandal guy as well.  I have two pair of clogs and one pair of pumps, the rest are sandals, heels, flats, slip-on, strappy, etc.  Out here on the west coast the wx is much more moderate than the midwest where you are.  I can wear sandals most all year long but on the cooler days (below 50 - yipes), I revert to the clogs and pumps, my toes get cold!!  

I do wear sandals if I am going for a short distance, and not outside much.  Out here gals wear sandals in the winter but usually when indoors most of the time, but there are exceptions.  

I can't imagine wearing sandals outside when the wx gets really cold like it gets out there, especially when there is ice / snow on the ground.    My daughter lived in Bozeman, MT for a few years, during winter sandals were non existent save for the gals (and occasional guy) working in an office.  

Bottom line, if it works for you, and you seem to handle the heel wearing just fine, do what you deem best.  And keep your feet warm!!!   

I do like the sandals in you last post - classy - summer or winter.  

Have fun.....   sf

Edited by SF
  • Thanks 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

It has recently snowed here, but only about an inch or so, not enough to where anybody has really bothered to shovel. Last night, I went to the church around 8:00 or so to practice the organ. When I got out of the car and started to walk towards the building, I noticed some footprints in the snow, and thought to myself, "Hey! Somebody wears high heels in the snow besides me! And they look to be fairly slim heels, too." Then I saw where the footprints veered off to a side door, not the main door. Oh.  .  . um, yeah.  .  .that was me. From the previous night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

It has recently snowed here, but only about an inch or so, not enough to where anybody has really bothered to shovel. Last night, I went to the church around 8:00 or so to practice the organ. When I got out of the car and started to walk towards the building, I noticed some footprints in the snow, and thought to myself, "Hey! Somebody wears high heels in the snow besides me! And they look to be fairly slim heels, too." Then I saw where the footprints veered off to a side door, not the main door. Oh.  .  . um, yeah.  .  .that was me. From the previous night.

Funny, and kinda sad at the same time. Sad, as in no-one else wears heels in the snow.

I do agree though that the footprints left behind are very cool! I loved making the prints in the snow. :)

Some more pant talk. After seeing a video of me yesterday, I think I am going to have more of my suits tailored. Well, just the pants. I do not like how this otherwise sharp looking olive green suit looks with heels. The pants are too full, yet straight. I have nearly all of my suitpants hemmed this way, so that you can't wear them with normal men's shoes, but the effect is better on some than others. I'm going to have the legs slimmed up quite a bit, and have them shortened to ankle length. I think this will give the suit a more modern, edgier look. 

On the other hand, while I wasn't particularly pleased with my appearance or my playing (I rarely am), I was pleased that I appear to move quite naturally and easily in heels, which in this picture are my new (to me) Aldo oxfords, documented in the "new shoes" thread  

Backing up a day, I had the chance to attend an event called Tuba Christmas, which is a group of low brass players that get together every year and play Christmas carols. We had 111 players this year, rather a lot more than expected. My 10 year old came with me, and played tuba, while I played euphonium. Our audience for the concert was about 600! That was a lot of people to have the chance to see the 5 1/2" heeled Michael Antonio sandals I wore to the event. That's right, sandals on the 21st of December. It was a nice day! Nobody commented on my shoes at all. 

IMG_1018.PNG

Edited by mlroseplant
Forgot the pesky little word "not."
  • Like 4

I have just started to wear skinny pants. Mostly motivated by the desire to wear my boots on the outside. I bought 30 inch and 28 inch inseams. When I first started to wear heels I used 34 inch inseam that hide most of the heels. The 30 inch (Levis 311 30X30) hits at my ankle and can cover the top edge of some booties, socks (cute) needs to be worn with these. The 28 inch (Express 10S jeggings)  hits 1.5 inches above the ankle. This is a much more bold look, it takes more "gut" to pull it off.  With my skinny jeggings it does have a feminine feel to it, especially with red stilettos. But both are excellent with my calf high and higher boots.

So be careful with going too short. A little wide and short may leave you open to the question "Where's the flood?"

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cali said:

I have just started to wear skinny pants. Mostly motivated by the desire to wear my boots on the outside. I bought 30 inch and 28 inch inseams. When I first started to wear heels I used 34 inch inseam that hide most of the heels. The 30 inch (Levis 311 30X30) hits at my ankle and can cover the top edge of some booties, socks (cute) needs to be worn with these. The 28 inch (Express 10S jeggings)  hits 1.5 inches above the ankle. This is a much more bold look, it takes more "gut" to pull it off.  With my skinny jeggings it does have a feminine feel to it, especially with red stilettos. But both are excellent with my calf high and higher boots.

So be careful with going too short. A little wide and short may leave you open to the question "Where's the flood?"

Yes, I have no desire to have my pants tailored to look like the gal pictured a few posts up. Not only is that too short (especially with a suit), but it’s too wide. I had one pair of suit pants altered by my friend the tailor to make them much narrower and tapered at the bottom, and after a couple wearings, I had her take yet another inch off the hem because they bunched at my ankles when I stood up. They were too narrow to slip over the heels of my shoes (the part where my foot goes in the shoe, not the elevated part of the shoe), and too long to hang properly and neatly. I’m pretty satisfied with how they turned out, which is why I say ankle length and not longer.

I do have a couple other suits where the pants are quite a bit narrower, but wide enough to fall around my shoes, and I think those look ok too. It’s just this particular suit that I’m not happy with. It’s cut in an older, more traditional style, and I feel it just doesn’t look that great with these very high platform shoes. Someday soon, I will have to take some pictures to show you what I’m talking about. Unfortunately, my computer seems to have picked up a virus, and is not working properly. I am writing this on the company iPad, and I really don’t want to put a bunch of personal stuff on here. Hopefully, my brother-in-law, who is a computer guy and is coming to visit soon, can help me get my computer sorted.

I agree. The pants of that girl are terrible. Never!

But we still have a lot of other choices: skinny ( ankle length with pumps or oxford,or longer with booties) 

Slim with Oxford,pumps booties,but not too short 

straight with Cuban heels. Could be baggy 

boot cut to cover any kind of shoes  

So a lot of choices depending of what we wear on top and circonstances  

A lot of fun 

19 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

I agree. The pants of that girl are terrible. Never!

But we still have a lot of other choices: skinny ( ankle length with pumps or oxford,or longer with booties) 

Slim with Oxford,pumps booties,but not too short 

straight with Cuban heels. Could be baggy 

boot cut to cover any kind of shoes  

So a lot of choices depending of what we wear on top and circonstances  

A lot of fun 

I have had a chance to have a lot of fun lately, with several days off for Christmas. In addition to my tuba adventures, I went shopping yesterday to pick up a very few last minute items, and somehow the weather is unusually warm this week. With temperatures in the 50s (low 10s in Celsius), I wore my gray Michael Antonio sandals yet again, and was able to ditch my coat. My 10 year old complained that these sandals are obnoxiously loud (they kinda are!), but I told him that once I get the heels replaced with rubber, once these heels wear out, they won't be loud anymore. Just by chance, a lady wearing high heeled boots (maybe 3 1/2" block heels) walked by. I said, "Look there.  .  ." He said "What?" I said, "What do you mean 'What?' Her heels are every bit as loud as mine!" Evidently, I am obnoxious, but everyone else is nearly unnoticeable. Kids!

For Christmas Eve services last night, I decided not to wear a suit, since I would have a choir robe on anyway. Besides, I wanted to wear sandals yet again. I chose some very plain black skinny dress pants that haven't fit in a while (did I tell you I've lost some weight? More about that later) with my red BCBG Paris mules. Red for Christmas, I figured. Plus they compliment the blue choir robe quite nicely. Not only did I sing in the choir, I played brass with a small group to compliment/augment the organ. That was exhausting, since everything was on the fly, none of it planned out. The first thing I noticed was that the two acolytes, two girls maybe 10-12 years old, were both wearing sandals, so I wasn't the only one to wear sandals to Christmas Eve service. Thankfully, they were very nice looking, dressy sandals and not rubber flip flops. Of course, they weren't heels, but girls that young probably shouldn't be wearing heels anyhow, so they get a pass.

Naturally, you can't really see my shoes in this picture, so I am providing a second picture. Anyhow, Merry Christmas to all, or whatever holiday you might celebrate at your house! I hope you have many heels and many nice adventures in the year to come.

Xmasevebrass.JPG

redsandals.PNG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I have had a chance to have a lot of fun lately, with several days off for Christmas. In addition to my tuba adventures, I went shopping yesterday to pick up a very few last minute items, and somehow the weather is unusually warm this week. With temperatures in the 50s (low 10s in Celsius), I wore my gray Michael Antonio sandals yet again, and was able to ditch my coat. My 10 year old complained that these sandals are obnoxiously loud (they kinda are!), but I told him that once I get the heels replaced with rubber, once these heels wear out, they won't be loud anymore. Just by chance, a lady wearing high heeled boots (maybe 3 1/2" block heels) walked by. I said, "Look there.  .  ." He said "What?" I said, "What do you mean 'What?' Her heels are every bit as loud as mine!" Evidently, I am obnoxious, but everyone else is nearly unnoticeable. Kids!

For Christmas Eve services last night, I decided not to wear a suit, since I would have a choir robe on anyway. Besides, I wanted to wear sandals yet again. I chose some very plain black skinny dress pants that haven't fit in a while (did I tell you I've lost some weight? More about that later) with my red BCBG Paris mules. Red for Christmas, I figured. Plus they compliment the blue choir robe quite nicely. Not only did I sing in the choir, I played brass with a small group to compliment/augment the organ. That was exhausting, since everything was on the fly, none of it planned out. The first thing I noticed was that the two acolytes, two girls maybe 10-12 years old, were both wearing sandals, so I wasn't the only one to wear sandals to Christmas Eve service. Thankfully, they were very nice looking, dressy sandals and not rubber flip flops. Of course, they weren't heels, but girls that young probably shouldn't be wearing heels anyhow, so they get a pass.

Naturally, you can't really see my shoes in this picture, so I am providing a second picture. Anyhow, Merry Christmas to all, or whatever holiday you might celebrate at your house! I hope you have many heels and many nice adventures in the year to come.

Xmasevebrass.JPG

redsandals.PNG

Well, that’s still pretty darn cool! Good for you!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I got to wear sandals yet again yesterday. Christmas Day was definitely not white. I tried this layered thing, which might at this point be a little dated. However, there is this thirty-something woman at church who often sports this look, only I think she uses three layers instead of two. Always with short heels of about 3 inches, and skin tight boot cut jeans. Despite the fact that she's a rather mousy-looking woman, she always looks kind of hot. So I decided to try it, only with skinny pants and sandals. One of these days, I've got to find a better spot to take selfies.

LayeredXmas.PNG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I got to wear sandals yet again yesterday. Christmas Day was definitely not white. I tried this layered thing, which might at this point be a little dated. However, there is this thirty-something woman at church who often sports this look, only I think she uses three layers instead of two. Always with short heels of about 3 inches, and skin tight boot cut jeans. Despite the fact that she's a rather mousy-looking woman, she always looks kind of hot. So I decided to try it, only with skinny pants and sandals. One of these days, I've got to find a better spot to take selfies.

I find it fascinating how your niche for heels is acceptance at church. Quite valuable, if you ask me.  At surface level, I imagine there's a couple challenges which leads me to two questions.  Neither of which you're required to answer if your privacy or boundaries deem inappropriate.

1.  What denomination of church is it?  

2.  Has anyone ever thrown Deut 22:5 at you?

• Like 2

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

2 hours ago, kneehighs said:

I find it fascinating how your niche for heels is acceptance at church. Quite valuable, if you ask me.  At surface level, I imagine there's a couple challenges which leads me to two questions.  Neither of which you're required to answer if your privacy or boundaries deem inappropriate.

While I don’t want to hijack the thread, I will add that this has been something I’ve been working on/towards. I’ll discuss it more in my thread, but these past few weeks that I’ve been making my heels more noticeable, I’ve gotten some quizzical looks, but nothing negative as of yet, and the only person to throw Deuteronomy 22:5 at me was myself a few years back. I’m a non-denominational Christian, and my argument if someone were to try and use that verse against me, I’d politely ask them to read that entire chapter and tell me if they’re also ok with the rest of what it says...

• Like 2

Yes, especially the bit about never hitching a donkey and oxen together. I‘ll bet that catches a lot of them out.

The God described in Deuteronomy must spend a lot of his time cherry picking his abominations - presumably giving a pass to Scots in kilts and Fijian men in sulus. And since heels hadn’t yet been invented then, one wonders how they fit into the picture - especially since when they eventually were invented they were for men...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kneehighs said:

I will largely answer your questions with this picture:

Churchphoto.thumb.PNG.5031adf0233ecb1df8e5e8899789fa95.PNG

To totally mix my metaphors, we have much bigger footballs to fry at the moment than worrying about my heels. It wouldn't surprise me if the United Methodist Church split up within the next few years, much as that pains me to think about. Oh, and to answer very clearly, no, no one in our church has ever even thought about anything in the Pentateuch past about halfway through Exodus, much less complained about my heels.

Can you find me in the picture? I'm almost all the way to the very left, next to the big guy in the yellow polo shirt. I'm wearing shorts and heels, though it is not obvious in this photo unless you know.

14 hours ago, KneeBooted said:

While I don’t want to hijack the thread, I will add that this has been something I’ve been working on/towards. I’ll discuss it more in my thread, but these past few weeks that I’ve been making my heels more noticeable, I’ve gotten some quizzical looks, but nothing negative as of yet, and the only person to throw Deuteronomy 22:5 at me was myself a few years back. I’m a non-denominational Christian, and my argument if someone were to try and use that verse against me, I’d politely ask them to read that entire chapter and tell me if they’re also ok with the rest of what it says...

Don't worry about hijacking my thread, there's nothing much here to hijack! Indeed, sometimes if one tries to artificially move a discussion elsewhere, it dies.

I've always wondered about all those old Jewish laws, and why we even worry about them, when even Bible literalists don't follow them in any meaningful way. I suppose that at one time, there was a logic to nearly all of them, though some of them may have arisen from mere superstition. The ox and the ass thing, for example, why in the hell would you ever want to do that in the first place? The laws of physics, to say nothing of Jewish Law, would pretty much prevent that from being successful. I can just imagine the priests or the Levites coming out to the farmer, trying to make such a rig work: "Why do want to do it THAT way for, you dumb son of a bitch? That's just stupid!" Then they made a law to protect idiots from themselves. No different than what we're still doing today!

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1

Looks like a great crew. I did spot you in the red shirt, and knowing what to look for i felt you were in heels. Even squatting heels change your posture just a bit, but no i wouldn't have guessed not knowing in advance.

• Like 1

I have worn heels, and gals flats to church many times.  Even gals sandals with painted toenails.  Other than a few compliments, no one has ever said a word.  Nice.....   sf  

Edited by SF
typoe...
  • Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

To totally mix my metaphors, we have much bigger footballs to fry at the moment than worrying about my heels. It wouldn't surprise me if the United Methodist Church split up within the next few years, much as that pains me to think about. Oh, and to answer very clearly, no, no one in our church has ever even thought about anything in the Pentateuch past about halfway through Exodus, much less complained about my heels.

I've always wondered about all those old Jewish laws, and why we even worry about them, when even Bible literalists don't follow them in any meaningful way. I suppose that at one time, there was a logic to nearly all of them, though some of them may have arisen from mere superstition. The ox and the ass thing, for example, why in the hell would you ever want to do that in the first place? The laws of physics, to say nothing of Jewish Law, would pretty much prevent that from being successful. I can just imagine the priests or the Levites coming out to the farmer, trying to make such a rig work: "Why do want to do it THAT way for, you dumb son of a bitch? That's just stupid!" Then they made a law to protect idiots from themselves. No different than what we're still doing today!

There is a human tendency to read the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law.  Moses wrote Deuteronomy, which means "second law", as parting words before he died, because the Israelites were already starting to lose the spirit of the first law, the 10 Commandments, which could be summarized succinctly as "Love God, and Love each other."  The way I see it, the spirit of Deuteronomy 22:5, as a supporting command to God's first law, is that we should honour God's order of creating us male and female.  When I put on a pair of shoes, whether it be cowboy boots or an item from the "womens" section in a store, I am not cross dressing, nor trying to become female, nor trying to shirk from my God-given responsibilities as husband and father, nor mocking femininity. 

It's probably fair to say that my fashion experimentation pushes the edge of what popular fashion labels as masculine.  But since popular fashion has no indication of servitude to God's law, I don't think that by breaking the "laws of fashion" I am automatically breaking God's law by wearing shoes that have been designated a certain way by the clothing industry.  I think people are sometimes too eager to mix the two realms.  I know women that never wear pants - skirts and dresses only.  I've heard people give Biblical reasons for doing so, but given how comfortable they are compared to pants, I imagine one does not need much theological convincing to abide by that style.  

• Like 1

There is often much wisdom in comedy.

The late great comedian, Dave Allen, always signed off his TV shows: "Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Allen_(comedian)

Tom Lehrer (who was Jewish but not practising) wrote the wonderful "Vatican Rag":

Edited by at9
Typo
  • Like 1