The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

This has been a strange year for me. I won't say I've backed off wearing heels, but I sure have backed off buying them. This is for several different reasons. The main two reasons have everything to do with money. I haven't had the overtime that I've had in the past, so I have far less discretionary income. Furthermore, because my 10 year old son has started band this summer, I have spent my shoe money on instruments and accessories. Even though he officially only plays the tuba, I have bought, count 'em, THREE horns this summer/fall. Naturally, we have begun to collect a certain make (Conn), and we're only interested in instruments manufactured before about 1970. We've enjoyed the heck out of all of them. They just don't make 'em like they used to, UNLESS you're willing to spend like $10,000. In that case, in many ways, they make 'em better than they used to. That is many times more than my entire shoe collection is worth.

Speaking of shoes, now that sandal season is almost over, the Alaia sandal I bought back in June have finally become truly comfortable. I wore them for several hours a week ago, and I wasn't ready to take them off when it was time. I look forward to wearing them for many years to come. That was a case of having some experience and intuition about what was going to eventually work.

Alaiatop.PNG

• Like 1

@mlroseplant I would also suspect that another reason is that the heels they are making are not tall enough.  I'm have trouble finding heels that are 3.75 inch tall, let along 4+ inches. Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices for your kids.  Just be glad that "band" is not very expensive compared to other activities.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 10:00 AM, Cali said:

@mlroseplant I would also suspect that another reason is that the heels they are making are not tall enough.  I'm have trouble finding heels that are 3.75 inch tall, let along 4+ inches. Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices for your kids.  Just be glad that "band" is not very expensive compared to other activities.

Yes, I find myself saying more and more these days, "Wow, those are really cute! If only they were an inch higher." I think I came along at a time in history when heels in general were much taller than any other. I say this because we often romanticize the 1950s with its ubiquitous stiletto heels. There is a woman from my hometown who has started a sort of historical group, and people have given her thousands of photographs from the 1960s and older. One thing I notice about all the pictures from the 1950s and even into the 60s is that if the picture was taken at any sort of semi-formal event--even just going to church on Wednesday night--all the women were wearing dresses, and almost all of them were wearing high heels. Thing is, the heels just weren't very high by our standards. I didn't see any that were much over 3 inches.

My mother was definitely a heel girl back in the day, and when I see old pictures of her in high school or shortly thereafter, she was always wearing the highest heels of anybody in the group. Again, not that impressive. I never saw my mother wear anything higher than 3 1/2 inch, ever. I don't really think they were available through "normal" channels. Pretty much the same thing for the 1980s--heels just weren't as high as we remember them when I look at old pictures and ads. I mean, there was Baker's and Wild One, but you really didn't see the highest models they sold all that often on the street. Then about 2000 - 2010, somewhere in that range, heel heights just exploded, usually with platform, but even considering the platform, they were MUCH higher than any time before or since. 4 inch was suddenly kind of low, and even the high school girls, if they wore heels at all (many didn't), were all tottering around in 5+ inch heels. That's about the time I came along as far as wearing heels myself, and I must admit, it's kind of a letdown when, like you said, now it's hard to find even a 4 inch heel in mainstream outlets.

Yah, was in dsw last week for the 1st time in a few years. No height anywhere.

When I'm out I'm in the higher heels than everyone. Never under 4.5, usually at 5 inch, no platform. The women more than not like the look but most who do comment also say they simply can't walk in higher heels.

Still many very high heels are available on the market, so women must still be buying even if they ultimately just end up in closets.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, mlroseplant said:

Yes, I find myself saying more and more these days, "Wow, those are really cute! If only they were an inch higher." I think I came along at a time in history when heels in general were much taller than any other. I say this because we often romanticize the 1950s with its ubiquitous stiletto heels. ...

Some interesting comment there, but not entirely in accordance with my distinct recollection of the contemporary situation in the UK, although I will accept that it is all too easy to focus on the highlights rather than the mundane realities of life.   I stand by what I wrote elsewhere on this board recently:

'My memory of heels seen regularly in public in the (southern) UK in the late 50s - mid 60s was that 3 - 4" stiletto heels were everywhere, and worn by women of all ages.   But 4 - 5" was by no means unusual; there were many styles in the high street shops and worn for both work and dressier occasions, again by women of all ages.   Yes, shoes with a heel above 4.5" were not in every shop window and closet but they certainly existed - and none had platforms before around 1970.   Happy memories!'

If one looks at the newspapers, newsreels, films, mail-order catalogues etc of that 'golden age', there is  ample evidence of what I said was the situation - although I think there were some distinct differences between the UK and the US, with more restraint by women in the US as to what they wore.   From observation, it seems as though US women took more pains to look 'elegant' in formal and semi-formal settings and had (or took) more opportunities to 'dress up', boosted by somewhat greater disposable income.   But (film stars and the like aside), the typical US 'matron' at (say) a dinner party, restaurant or theatre would be less likely to wear the revealing dresses, tight skirts and 4"+ heels that were considered acceptable (and desirable) by a wide range of women in the UK.   However, that was not everyday working or home-making attire for most women, although there was certainly a greater adoption of dressy rather than casual clothing - stockings, skirts and (modest) heels were almost universal unless precluded for reasons of safety or comfort.   So, we see stilettos of at least 3" and up to 4" worn almost everywhere for many different activities by women of between (say) 15 and 60, including schoolgirls (out of uniform) and housewives buying the groceries.   And I would emphasise that there were (mercifully) absolutely no platforms - they had disappeared by around 1950 and were not to reappear before 1970, then to create the illusion of much greater height-gain for a given rise. 

Although significantly higher and thinner heels are (allegedly) currently less fashionable if not unfashionable, they are certainly still available in UK high street shops, quite apart from those widely offered online.   I was recently in a large shopping mall where at least three shops stocked shoes and sandals with 4.5 - 5" stiletto heels (and little or no platform) alongside the equivalents with chunkier heels of anything from 2" to 5", again often with little or no platform.   With the longer boots, however, there seemed to be a definite trend towards chunkier, but still often high, 'stacked' heels, although modest stiletto ankle boots were still on offer alongside their thicker-heeled counterparts.   (Lots of wearable heeled boots for men to consider, if their feet were small enough!)

Edited by Puffer
spelling correction

I actually wore boots last night for the first time since early Spring of 2018. It's not that I hate boots, but perhaps I don't have the right boots any more for my style. Of course, last winter I challenged myself to see how long I could go into the winter and not wear boots, and I wound up making it all winter. The other problem is that most of my boots are what you'd call "calf high" I guess. This is fine if you're wearing boot-cut jeans, but look dumber 'n hell if you're wearing skinny jeans. Like many of us here, I started out wearing exclusively boot cut jeans in order to minimize the visual impact of my heels. When I bought all of my boots, I certainly didn't see any need to buy tall boots, as they were going to be covered by pants anyway. Now, of course, it's a completely different story. I hardly ever wear boot cut jeans, I own only two pairs of knee high boots, and I don't love either of them. As I mentioned before, I have stopped buying shoes temporarily, so I'm certainly not going to invest in any new boots this year. I do need to address the fact that my sandal collection is getting a little thin, though! Boots do last a lot longer than sandals.

Edited by mlroseplant
Corrections

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I never could see the sense of calf-high boots. I wear boots almost exclusively and love 'em  - either ankle height (hiking boots etc) or knee/otk height. Calf boots seem neither fish nor fowl

Agreed. I think they look a bit off too...

Even ankle height boots took me a while to start liking.. 

5 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Agreed. I think they look a bit off too...

Even ankle height boots took me a while to start liking.. 

Knee high boots are definitely my preference, I’m with you on calf length, neither here nor there, and in my opinion looks daft over skinny jeans, i do like some ankle boots, you might have seen my snake print ones on my Costa thread but out of choice it’s knee high boots all day 

• Like 1

I’ve worn hiking boots nearly all my life - they are just ‘me’ - so heeled ankle boots aren’t that big a jump, but seem like racier, sportier versions of what I wear anyway - I like them. They have a daring appeal.

I like knee boots very much too and always coveted a pair. Having made the move and started wearing flat knee boots out and about all last winter, and enjoyed the warmth and style, l’d never go back to not wearing them

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I never could see the sense of calf-high boots. I wear boots almost exclusively and love 'em  - either ankle height (hiking boots etc) or knee/otk height. Calf boots seem neither fish nor fowl

You're right! Cowhide and faux leather are neither fish nor fowl! LOL

There's your chuckle for the day!:clap:

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't discriminate like all you others.

I love my ankle boots, my calf high boots and my knee high boots. I wear them all. And with high heels 4 inch +. Specially like wearing them with shorts. Going to try wearing them with my vegan leather skinny pants

I don't have any thigh high nor do I have crotch high - unless you consider by waders boots.

Krisis jean1H.JPG

• Like 2

Boots and shorts make no sense to me - a collision of looks and seasons that jars. Like wearing galoshes over your sandals... But that's just me.

I'm not a fan of thigh-high or crotch boots either. I like otk boots but only up to a modest height.  

Edited by Shyheels

Maybe it's because I have to wear boots all day that I really don't want to wear them when I get home. Style wise, I think I need to find some boot cut pants that are not quite so generous with the flair at the bottom. I think that would be a good compromise between what I'd really like and what I'm willing to spend.

There is a woman at church, I would guess her to be in her mid 30s, who usually wears boot cut pants with modest heeled boots in the winter (2-3" chunky heels), and she always looks put together in her own way. Maybe I'd better start taking notes as to why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

Maybe it's because I have to wear boots all day that I really don't want to wear them when I get home. Style wise, I think I need to find some boot cut pants that are not quite so generous with the flair at the bottom. I think that would be a good compromise between what I'd really like and what I'm willing to spend.

There is a woman at church, I would guess her to be in her mid 30s, who usually wears boot cut pants with modest heeled boots in the winter (2-3" chunky heels), and she always looks put together in her own way. Maybe I'd better start taking notes as to why.

I would suggest looking into American Eagle for some modest boot cut pants.

Recalling previous pictures you have posted, I would venture a guess that you are on the slimmer side, likely a 4 or 6 in women’s pants?

All of my pants that I own now are from AE, and I’ve had relatively good luck. If you’re looking for a second hand pair to try out first, I would look for the Kick Boot style on Poshmark. They are what I currently have, and are wonderful for having what I would consider a minimal flare.

If you prefer to try new, I would look at their Skinny Kick style. It’s a fairly straight leg with minimal flare.

I am in the boat where the majority(99%) of my outfits that I wear currently with heels involve a boot cut, if I’m wearing pants that is. I have two pair of jeggings that I am trying to get some outfit ideas together, one of which I posted in my thread a while back.

I am looking forward to the point where I wear my knee high boots on full display.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KneeBooted said:

I would suggest looking into American Eagle for some modest boot cut pants.

Recalling previous pictures you have posted, I would venture a guess that you are on the slimmer side, likely a 4 or 6 in women’s pants?

All of my pants that I own now are from AE, and I’ve had relatively good luck. If you’re looking for a second hand pair to try out first, I would look for the Kick Boot style on Poshmark. They are what I currently have, and are wonderful for having what I would consider a minimal flare.

If you prefer to try new, I would look at their Skinny Kick style. It’s a fairly straight leg with minimal flare.

I am in the boat where the majority(99%) of my outfits that I wear currently with heels involve a boot cut, if I’m wearing pants that is. I have two pair of jeggings that I am trying to get some outfit ideas together, one of which I posted in my thread a while back.

I am looking forward to the point where I wear my knee high boots on full display.

You are remarkably perceptive! I vacillate between Size 4 and 6 in most women's pants. The difference between 4 and 6 is minimal, only 5 to 7 pounds of body weight for me. That is also the difference between "fighting trim" and "slightly poochy." At my age, it's pretty difficult to shed that last 5 pounds, particularly when I have a fondness for craft beer.

I shall have to consider your recommendations carefully. I guess I would like to wear my boots this winter, as I have a couple of pairs that I'm fond of that haven't been loved since the winter of 2017-18.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

You are remarkably perceptive! I vacillate between Size 4 and 6 in most women's pants. The difference between 4 and 6 is minimal, only 5 to 7 pounds of body weight for me. That is also the difference between "fighting trim" and "slightly poochy." At my age, it's pretty difficult to shed that last 5 pounds, particularly when I have a fondness for craft beer.

I shall have to consider your recommendations carefully. I guess I would like to wear my boots this winter, as I have a couple of pairs that I'm fond of that haven't been loved since the winter of 2017-18.

I have that same fondness for craft beer! It’s more like a love affair that I can’t let go! :happy:

• Haha 1

Guys (and the occasional gal), I think I'm going to have to take a break from HHP for a while. I've got a special project coming up at work soon which will consume most of my waking hours. It's not like I'm swearing it off like a bad habit, I'll still be around, but I cannot allow myself to spend this time here every day as I have in the recent past. I shall miss you all for a little while. It's not all bad, I could really use some overtime before the holiday season. I shall miss my family as well. Luckily, it's for a finite amount of time.

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Guys (and the occasional gal), I think I'm going to have to take a break from HHP for a while. I've got a special project coming up at work soon which will consume most of my waking hours. It's not like I'm swearing it off like a bad habit, I'll still be around, but I cannot allow myself to spend this time here every day as I have in the recent past. I shall miss you all for a little while. It's not all bad, I could really use some overtime before the holiday season. I shall miss my family as well. Luckily, it's for a finite amount of time.

Good luck mate, for the project and all. I find myself in a similar situation. see ya on the other side! 

Hi folks, I'm still on a bit of a hiatus, but I thought I would allow myself to pop in and see what was REALLY going on. I also feel compelled to share a story very quickly before I go off to another 12 hour day at work.

It snowed yesterday early morning. It was our first substantial snow of the season--not a lot of inches, but enough to require snow removal, and enough to cause accidents on the highway. So I got this text from my wife saying that we had bought my 10 year old all these new clothes and shoes, but had forgotten about snow boots. he evidently couldn't even get his foot into the ones we bought him last year. He said, "no problem, Mama, I'll just wear your boots for today until we can get some new ones for me." Evidently, he actually wore these things to school. Although I came home very late last night, you'd-a-think if something really awful happened, I'd-a-heard about it.

These are not particularly exciting, but I'm thinking in my day, if a boy wore those to school, it would have been social suicide. If I hear anything more, I'll let you know.

Mamasnowboots.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/3/2019 at 6:09 PM, jeremy1986 said:

Good luck mate, for the project and all. I find myself in a similar situation. see ya on the other side! 

Gotta do what we gotta do buddy....Sounds like it is only for a month or so....Look forward to having you back with a few extra coins in your pocket....Or, perhaps a few more bills paid...

A short update--my "special" project at work is not yet finished, but some of it has been postponed. I am glad to be home at a normal hour these days, but on the other hand, I wish they would hurry up and get it over with. It is somewhat frustrating to tell the family, "I won't be available to do much of anything but eat and sleep on such-and-such days," only to discover I'll have to make that sacrifice at a later, unspecified date. The overtime money is certainly appreciated this close to the holidays.

I haven't bought any new shoes for nearly six months, so I'm trying to make sure I'm wearing the more neglected members of my collection in addition to my favorites. I have had these Bakers Reissa oxfords for several years, but have never worn them in public. I have taken them for a couple half mile spins around the neighborhood early in the morning/late at night, but the fact is, I can't walk in them properly. There's basically a 5 inch difference between heel and toe, and my graceful limit is about 4 1/2". I can walk in them functionally, but it's not pretty to look at, and I can't go around looking like that. So I'm trying to expand the top of my height range, and I've started wearing them around the house, despite the fact that I absolutely hate wearing fully enclosed shoes at home. OK, I hate wearing fully enclosed shoes anywhere, but especially in my own house. Nevertheless, if I'm going to keep these shoes, I'll need to learn to walk in them, and that's not ever going to happen if I don't wear them.

The other problem with these shoes is that they have a very short, rounded toe. I'm not a big fan a-them witch toed shoes, but I wish these shoes had a slightly longer, more pointy toes. The reason is that at this height/steepness, there is not much horizontal real estate being taken up, and you have to wear the slimmest, skinniest pants with them. Otherwise, with any flare or fullness at all to your pants, it looks like you have no feet, or that your toes have been chopped off.

As an aside, I have bought some new leggings. I have yet to try wearing leggings out by themselves, but I use them both for my yoga practice in the winter, and for long underwear underneath basically everything all winter long. I admit to being cold-blooded, and that extra layer on my legs makes a huge difference to my comfort. My trusty three pairs of Hanes leggings are all looking raggedy and terrible, so I ordered two new pairs in a cropped length. I chose the cropped length because I have very short legs, and I was somewhat frustrated by the leggings sticking out the bottom of my skinny jeans when wearing no socks, an unattractive look in my estimation. So I took a chance on these Jockey cotton cropped leggings, size small. It was a good gamble. They fit perfectly. I wish they were a little tighter around the ankles, but I'm not going to fuss about it. I think they are actually supposed to hit you mid-calf, but as you can see, they hit me a little lower, which is exactly what I wanted. I can now wear clogs with skinny jeans and wear these underneath, and nobody is the wiser. I can still use the three old pairs for work, because who cares? I have to go to wool longjohns if it gets really, really cold. That's when fashion goes completely out the window, when I want to come home with all the fingers and toes that I had in the first place.

Bakersreissa.PNG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1