The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

9 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Well done mlroseplant! Sounded like an adventure.Perhaps your first "service" call in heels?? HinH

Ummmm, I think it was, actually. I can't recall ever going out on a service call in heels before.

8 hours ago, Cali said:

When the correct part comes in your should test the chair out (and get a pedicure at the same time).

I would agree wholeheartedly, except for one thing: We've known them (the nail shop girls) for about 10 years, and in that 10 years, they've never allowed us to pay for any of their services. Fantastic, huh? There's only one problem with that. Paying customers always come first, even if they're right in the middle of your pedicure, or whatever. Back in the day, 2010 - 2012, the economy wasn't so great, and there was always time for us. Today, the shop is always so busy that it's difficult to squeeze us in. And yet, they refuse to let us pay like regular customers. It's a bit like traveling non-rev on an airline, eh @pebblesf? Finally, you just throw up your hands and just laugh. That's just the way it is.

It is very kind that they always want to comp you for their services.  But I am with you, nobody works for free...  ha ha...   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Ummmm, I think it was, actually. I can't recall ever going out on a service call in heels before.

I would agree wholeheartedly, except for one thing: We've known them (the nail shop girls) for about 10 years, and in that 10 years, they've never allowed us to pay for any of their services. Fantastic, huh? There's only one problem with that. Paying customers always come first, even if they're right in the middle of your pedicure, or whatever. Back in the day, 2010 - 2012, the economy wasn't so great, and there was always time for us. Today, the shop is always so busy that it's difficult to squeeze us in. And yet, they refuse to let us pay like regular customers. It's a bit like traveling non-rev on an airline, eh @pebblesf? Finally, you just throw up your hands and just laugh. That's just the way it is.

Oh yes, sounds just like airline non rev travel....Oftentimes, I just buy tickets if I am traveling with the better half.  If traveling solo, I have a little better shot at going because I can sit on an extra jumpseat, but even that is not a sure thing....  But, on the other hand, this job has cured me of any sort of wanderlust I once had for sure...  Would love to dig a moat around the house and fill it with nile crocodiles...

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the airline charges a modest fee for "deadheading" or not. I can remember when I flew space available on the MAC (Military Airlift Command) flights during my Navy days the fee was $10 when one was travelling in a leave status. Travelling on a C-130 is not luxurious but one cannot argue with the cost :fine: HinH

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HappyinHeels said:

I'm not sure if the airline charges a modest fee for "deadheading" or not. I can remember when I flew space available on the MAC (Military Airlift Command) flights during my Navy days the fee was $10 when one was travelling in a leave status. Travelling on a C-130 is not luxurious but one cannot argue with the cost :fine: HinH

Depends on the flight, and what class of service...Oftentimes other airliines will charge a fee for non revs also....But, worth it, if you get on....  There is a big difference between being stuck on the jumpseat vs left sitting in the terminal!

I've got this boy, 10 years old, in the 5th grade, who has never shown any interest whatsoever in shoes of any kind. He'll wear out a pair of shoes until they're barely holding together, then complain when we want to buy him new ones. Suddenly, two nights ago, he figured out that his feet are really only a size smaller than mine, and that he can wear my shoes without too much trouble. So he's been walking up and down the driveway, back and forth, back and forth, practicing walking in heels of various sorts. His mom is kind of freaking out. I told her to keep calm, just let it ride, he'll probably lose interest in a week or two. I truly believe that this is likely to be the case. However, he did say he had plans to wear my Dansko clogs all winter. Who knows? Incidentally, @HappyinHeels has actually met this kid. Twice. So I'm curious to hear his take on this especially.

Edited by mlroseplant
Further thoughts
  • Like 3

I understand his Mom's concern, she does not want the boy to be taunted/teased...  But, I would agree, let him experiment, I'm sure he is not running off to school in pumps.  Might just be a phase, who knows....But, it is best to treat it like a normal thing and not make a big deal of it...

Is this boy your son, a relation, or just a neighbor/friend?

Ah yes, I do know this kid. My view is if his current interest in heels comes anywhere close to that of general mechanics then the kid will become as fond of them as you. Small engines under repair in the garage and heels under the clothes in the closet. He is gifted in mechanics and I think this interest in heels may be curiosity at a very impressionable age as a result of seeing how much joy it gives you. It may pass or not but I doubt it will go away completely. Remember he's seen at least two dudes in heels now so there's a certain legitimacy to him. That's my take. I hope that helps. HinH 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, pebblesf said:

I understand his Mom's concern, she does not want the boy to be taunted/teased...  But, I would agree, let him experiment, I'm sure he is not running off to school in pumps.  Might just be a phase, who knows....But, it is best to treat it like a normal thing and not make a big deal of it...

Is this boy your son, a relation, or just a neighbor/friend?

He's my son. The mom in question is my wife. My wife, as I have previously mentioned, is tolerant, but not by any stretch of the imagination enthusiastic about my choice of footwear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

He's my son. The mom in question is my wife. My wife, as I have previously mentioned, is tolerant, but not by any stretch of the imagination enthusiastic about my choice of footwear.

I dream of my better half being "tolerant"....

So, he is your son....Has he ever asked you about your footwear choices?    I wonder if he has ever asked his Mom, and how she answered him....

Edited by pebblesf
  • Like 1

Last night, there were no high heels. It was no big deal, he just didn't put any on when he came home from school, didn't say anything about it, didn't ask about it. It's not like he didn't have any exposure. As you can see, the tuba has been banished to the basement because it drives Mama crazy, and that's where my shoe collection is. Perhaps he was distracted by his new etude book I just bought him, which luckily he likes a lot better than his school band book. I told Mama to just ignore it and it would pass. You think she ever listens to me?

7 hours ago, pebblesf said:

So, he is your son....Has he ever asked you about your footwear choices?    I wonder if he has ever asked his Mom, and how she answered him....

He's never really asked me about it before, or if he has it's been years and I just don't remember. I suppose if that's all you've ever known, you don't really think about it. I can tell you what Mama answered if he ever broached the subject with her. "Because your Daddy is CRAZY!" Or whatever the equivalent of that is in Vietnamese.

Mickeyetude.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pebblesf said:

The tuba, oh brother, you must be great parents....  My parents wouldn't even tolerate me running my trains in the basement, "those damn things mess up the TV...!"  Well, it is nice too see a youngster enjoying something besides a phone...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, pebblesf said:

The tuba, oh brother, you must be great parents....  My parents wouldn't even tolerate me running my trains in the basement, "those damn things mess up the TV...!"  Well, it is nice too see a youngster enjoying something besides a phone...

I don't know about us being great parents, but we do have a very unusual kid. He does get some screen time in to be sure, but he spends a substantial amount of time doing things here in the real world, and most of that is working out in the garage getting dirty--and driving his mama crazy. He's good at that part.

22 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

wow @mlroseplant - that tuba is bigger than him! 

And re your son's heeling - well, if we tell ourselves its normal and (should be) acceptable, then that's the message we should give and empower the kids with too - otherwise you're just giving the message that he's doing something wrong. 

The tuba weighs 28 pounds, or nearly 13 kg. It's unusual in the fact that it's a vintage instrument, made in 1966. It is, as far as I know, one of the largest regular production tubas ever made. The forward facing bell seems to be an American thing of that period. I have never seen a British or Continental instrument made that way. Of course, my son found this thing on ebay and brought it to my attention. He never lusted after a shiny new Yamaha or Besson or Mirafone, he wanted this giant old beat-up Conn. Don't get me wrong, it is a great sounding horn, but it looks almost comical by today's standards. In other words, it's perfect for our family.

I can tell by his demeanor and his attitude that my son doesn't see anything "wrong" with guys wearing heels, but he is acutely aware that he may will get some static from his classmates should he ever meet them unexpectedly while wearing heels. I haven't heard him say anything about his classmates' reaction to my wearing heels for a couple of years. I guess that's good?

• Like 1

I think this is where invoking some history is in order. Some 500 years ago high heels were conceived by men for use by men. It wasn't until much later that women starting using them along with men until men discontinued wearing them except for about 8 years in the 1970's. Since it is most likely the most ignorant to shoot off their mouth then some ready education is usually the best method at quelling the static. There is something disarming about a ready-to-go  and informed response especially if the perpetrator has no clue about it. Those who continue to give static may ultimately be dealt with in other ways. Remember your son already said, in my presence, that he sees how much joy it gives you so he has already thought about it. He's very observant and quite articulate. Two qualities which should serve him very well in life. :fine: HappyinHeels

• Like 1

More instrumental action at our house this week. To complement our vintage Conn tuba, we got a vintage Conn euphonium (pictured below) which I am really excited about. The horn worked and sounded sweet right out of the box, and we are both having fun learning how to play the thing. After two days of practice, we decided we were good enough to record a video, which we did in two takes. This screenshot is from the first take, and was rejected for three reasons: 1) I didn't realize the videographer was shooting vertically, which drives me nuts unless there's a very specific reason to do so, 2) The videographer didn't realize that by shooting vertically, it showed my heels while playing, which drives her nuts and forces her to make up lies to answer awkward questions, and 3) we screwed up pretty badly the first time anyway. However, it did provide a nice screen shot suitable for posting here.

Shoes are Steve Madden Crunk. I have no idea how or why they came up with that name, but they unfortunately did. One of my very favorite sandals in the "Candies" style. Denim shorts are Celebrity Pink, and are one of the few pants/shorts I own that are not modified in any way. These are my "long" shorts, and I like to wear them to practice various instruments for comfort reasons, where my legs might stick to a chair or bench wearing shorter shorts. I think these have about a 7" inseam, which puts them about 3" above the top of my kneecap when standing. I don't feel like that's the best look for my short-ass legs, but it's practical for certain things. Even when worn with slightly feminine flat sandals, I don't get a second look ever when wearing these.

I need to figure out a different way to place my feet when playing tuba in heels. This screenshot looks very weird to me, but maybe this picture will serve as a "Conn-duet" for promoting fashion equality. Terrible pun, but I'm not going to apologize for it.

DebutConnduet.PNG

Never, ever take vertical videos.....  Never.....   But wear heels proudly.....    ha ha......    sf

And......   when folks ask my wife about me wearing high heels, she just smiles and tells them to ask me....  He is wearing HIS shoes....  They never ask....  ha ha...   Nice sandals mlrose...  

sf   

Edited by SF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Those Steve Madden Crunk are my type of heels. Since I have a high volume toe box, being able to adjust the strap across the toes is what I look for. My Freebird Canti are that way and I was able to add an extra hole.

I looked at reviews of the Crunk and saw that the buckle is not functionable....too bad

Ha ha ha....   Yeah I hate vertical videos too!!  But my wife and kids take them all the time, so maybe it just me...  But, as the PSA says, it's not like crack or anything, but it's still pretty bad....  Fa Fa and Mario have other videos out there that are pretty funny as well.  

Mlrose, please take no offense, I'm just goofing here.  Playing an instrument with your kid - in heels - is great!!  I love it......  But those Crunk sandals (yes, weird name) are a bit to tall for me....  

Take care... sf...

I have been lazy this summer. I have always said that wearing very high heels successfully is like doing ballet or playing an instrument. If you don't practice, and practice efficiently and effectively every day, you lose something. I re-discovered this yesterday. It's not that I haven't worn heels this summer, but I've not walked very far in them, and typically my heel choices have been low-ish (for me) wedges. So when it came time to break out the truly high heels again, I should have thought my shoe choice out a little better.

I was drafted to fill in for some instrumentalists in a couple of different church bands who were out for various reasons, and I wound up playing three services, which meant I was on my feet, standing mostly in one spot, for five hours. There have been times in my life when I wouldn't have thought twice about wearing my Nine West Plantera loafer pumps anywhere for all day. However, I'm not in high heel shape like I was. It wasn't really painful, but I was ready to get out of them by the time I got back home. My feet were really tired.

NWPlanteratan.png

• Like 2

That’s exactly what happened to me because of the summer vacation.

Despite of some ankle stretching every day,after 2 weeks without wearing heels,I had to start with wearing medium heels at first. 

The good thing is that muscles and brain have a memory,so everything came back within 2 days. 

These shoes look very attractive!

mlroseplant,

After looking at the photo of you and your son playing I thought you could either cross your ankles as your son did OR make the chair slightly higher so your legs aren't apart. Either of these should change your posture to your satisfaction. HinH

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

mlroseplant,

After looking at the photo of you and your son playing I thought you could either cross your ankles as your son did OR make the chair slightly higher so your legs aren't apart. Either of these should change your posture to your satisfaction. HinH

After experimenting around and consulting old photos of me playing in college (in flats, of course), I realize it is the chair I was sitting in. We just rearranged the basement to allow both of us to sit side by side, which makes instruction quite a bit easier, but the second chair is a cheap metal folding chair, and it is not really suitable for a large tuba. I realize I am holding my legs like that to keep the instrument from sliding off the chair. In addition to procuring some more music stands, I guess I need to get some better chairs. I'm planning on jamming four people down there for our putative brass quartet. I know a horn player, and he ain't exactly a little guy!

mlroseplant,

During my government career I was told a "SME" was a Subject Matter Expert but I always used this acronym as Simple Midwestern Engineering. :fine: I find so many situations can be figured out by simply collaborating with others around you. I'll look forward to some basement photos of your quartet. HinH

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on the kid in heels situation: It has definitely settled down, almost to the point of it being no big deal. He has mostly worn his own shoes, but there have been a couple of nights when he's worn my "low" high heels for pretty much the entire evening without comment from anybody.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 3:49 PM, Tech said:

What exactly are you talking about?

Please show me where it says or states that he is banned or not allowed to take part?

Just over 2 years ago he got a slap on the wrist for posting innappropriate images and still has not bothered to acknowledge that.

Its on him, nothing I can do. Nobody banned him.. I wish people would check their facts before reaching for the keyboard...

Oh and I only saw this because rather than post speculation about me, somebody actually was decent enough to message me directly.

Why do people always go for the negative first? You could have said "I might drop Tech a message, see if he has heard from him or find out whats up"

Where are these 10,000 posts? He has 4179 content items... That includes PMs, pictures, comments on pictures, the lot...

What are the chances of unlocking his thread?  I don't have TBG's private email, but do have an image that I think he would appreciate.  Wanted to share it on the relevant thread, but that's not possible. 

• Like 1

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Here is an update on the kid in heels situation: It has definitely settled down, almost to the point of it being no big deal. He has mostly worn his own shoes, but there have been a couple of nights when he's worn my "low" high heels for pretty much the entire evening without comment from anybody.

Sounds perfect....He has explored his interest in heels, tried them out, and most importantly, "no big deal".....  He will wear heels if he feels like it, and does not have to hide it.... 

• Like 1