The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

Nothing much to report lately, except I did get a much needed compliment yesterday. I was in my local Walgreens getting some BIG Band-Aids (sticking plasters), as my son had had a mishap with his knee, and six regular sized Band-Aids weren't cutting it. I was wearing my cutoff shorts, which I may have mentioned somewhere are actually about an inch TOO short to be practical, but they're fine if you never sit down anywhere. Anyhow, they're stylish enough I guess, without being this ripped or distressed business that every girl seems to be wearing nowadays. Oh, also, I was wearing my gold patchwork Coach mules with dark brown 4 1/4" wedge heel. A lady I would guess to be about my age followed me up to the checkout area and remarked that I had prettier legs than she did. As she was wearing long pants, I cannot say whether that was true or not, but in any case she was slim and reasonably attractive. I kind of chuckled in the way that I do when I'm caught off guard, and thanked her. Then we talked about kids and skinned knees with the cashier, I wished them a good evening, and I was on my way home to apply said Band-Aids. It's been kind of a rough month for negative feedback, so it was nice to get some positive, and she seemed like she was being sincere. I did not detect any trace of sardonic tone in her voice.

• Like 7

After I got home from Walgreens, I thought something felt kind of funny. At least nothing is actually broken, it just needs to be glued back down. It seems I am constantly repairing this and that on my shoes, and I don't think I'm very hard on shoes, compared to most.

Coachbroken.JPG

Mlrose......  Nice story, I like the sandals you were wearing....

I just returned from a “road trip” to Minnesota (them “strange folks” to the north - ha ha) and passed thru n/w Iowa.  Was looking but did not see any guys in heels - bummer, but I was looking for you too....  

You mentioned “negative feedback” this month, what happened??

Go get more compliments.....   Have fun......   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

19 hours ago, SF said:

You mentioned “negative feedback” this month, what happened??

Nothing earthshaking, but I have gotten way more than the usual number of disapproving stares, open giggling, and in one case, some girls who felt the need to walk by our house three times with their dog to have one more laugh at me. I guess the thing that really got to me was when one of the incidents happened in front of my wife, who is always telling me that pretty much the whole town thinks I'm a freak, and that she's a freak for being married to me. She didn't say anything at the time, but she thought it pretty loudly! Of course, her impression is usually hyperbolic toward the negative side of things, but you couldn't argue with her on this particular day.

On the other hand, I think that perhaps I've finally learned how to walk in heels after 7 years. I caught a glimpse of myself head on in a store's front glass, and for the first time didn't cringe at the sight.

• Like 1

Wow...... Based on earlier posts, I thought your spouse was generally OK with your heeling?  A freak?  Not sure about that.  Different, maybe.  Let's face it, not a lot of guys wear high heels in public.  We are the pioneers who are taking the arrows.  Will things ever get better?  I doubt it, at least not in my lifetime.  But that does not mean I will stop enjoying my heels and I imagine you are of the same opinion.  

Next time I am driving through Iowa, I will get the name of your town so they can be amazed that there are now two "freaks" in town...  ha ha...

Like the Bobby McFerrin song says:  Don't Worry Be Happy......       Have fun, sf (the other "freak")    

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

... my wife, who is always telling me that pretty much the whole town thinks I'm a freak, and that she's a freak for being married to me. She didn't say anything at the time, but she thought it pretty loudly! ...

Sounds like my wife, whose disapproval of almost anything I do (shoe-related or not) transmits itself by telepathy through both time and space.   (In fact, I detect her two storeys down telling me that I am a pervert right now.)

And to think - if we were to read of an island culture in some distant place where they had such rigid taboos on the styling details of their footwear we would think - patronisingly - how terribly quaint they were...

19 hours ago, SF said:

Wow...... Based on earlier posts, I thought your spouse was generally OK with your heeling?  A freak?  Not sure about that.  Different, maybe.  Let's face it, not a lot of guys wear high heels in public.  We are the pioneers who are taking the arrows.  Will things ever get better?  I doubt it, at least not in my lifetime.  But that does not mean I will stop enjoying my heels and I imagine you are of the same opinion.  

Next time I am driving through Iowa, I will get the name of your town so they can be amazed that there are now two "freaks" in town...  ha ha...

Like the Bobby McFerrin song says:  Don't Worry Be Happy......       Have fun, sf (the other "freak")    

My wife is accepting of my heeling, 98% of the time. That doesn't mean she likes it. In fact, she hates it, and if I threw all my heels away she would be super happy, and she's told me so. However, after 7 years, I guess I've just worn her down, and she doesn't say anything anymore, unless there's a reason, like we're going to go meet her coworkers and she doesn't really want to have to do a lot of explaining for very little gain, or none in her eyes.

As far as being a freak, I am the most normal freak you'll ever meet, bordering on being flat-out boring.

12 hours ago, Puffer said:

Sounds like my wife, whose disapproval of almost anything I do (shoe-related or not) transmits itself by telepathy through both time and space.   (In fact, I detect her two storeys down telling me that I am a pervert right now.)

Puffer, I hope you are exaggerating slightly for the sake of humor. However, it was pointed out to me recently by my 10 year old, "Mama sure does yell at us a lot." Perhaps the recent purchase of THIS musical instrument has exacerbated things. My son is just starting his brasswind journey, and I, after a 28 year hiatus, am trying to return to my former glory as the bass of the brass band. So that thing gets played at least an hour a day between the two of us. It drives Mama crazy. Perhaps she is a saint, after all.

Mickeyconn.JPG

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

...Puffer, I hope you are exaggerating slightly for the sake of humor. ...

Only slightly, I regret to say.   In my wife's view, almost everything I do is considered 'abnormal', if not perverted, as I am frequently told in no uncertain terms.   Fortunately, I know better.

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

As far as being a freak, I am the most normal freak you'll ever meet, bordering on being flat-out boring.

Are there classes in being boring?  Sometimes I wish I could be more boring.  Seriously.  Unfortunately, it's not in my DNA, not in my personality.  I appreciate boring!  

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

9 hours ago, Puffer said:

Only slightly, I regret to say.   In my wife's view, almost everything I do is considered 'abnormal', if not perverted, as I am frequently told in no uncertain terms.   Fortunately, I know better.

Sounds rather toxic, dare I say it

• Like 1

Mama has her good days and her bad days with my heels. Luckily, yesterday was a good day. Every year, our neighborhood has a block party, where they block vehicular access to the street for a few hours, set up tables, and everybody brings something to eat, potluck style. Even though we're not as neighborly a society as we used to be, it's good to actually know and meet the people living around you every once in a while.

I wore heels, as I have for several years to this event, and shorts. I made sure to find my 4 inch inseam shorts, since there would be quite a bit of sitting down with lots of other people around. I tried to make the rounds and introduce myself to any newcomers or people I don't see but once a year. Nobody even looked at me funny, or if they did, they were rather more discreet about it than some people are. Therefore, Mama was happy. Mama was also happy because people ate every bit of the food she brought to share.

I have also come to the conclusion that, short as they are, I have the best legs in the neighborhood, if you don't count the girls under the age of 25. It is unfortunate that they have taken kind of a beating this summer, mostly due to my carelessness. Mama, of course, does not agree, and says I have very funny looking legs. The subject was dropped.

mlroseplant,

I remember your street well. That's cool you have a block party there. Whilst I can't verify if you have the nicest legs in the neighbourhood I can absolutely say when I saw you help your kid start a push mower wearing heels I was in awe. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY did it better. That's a permanent compliment you can use during the dry months when they are few and far between. HinH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2019 at 1:02 AM, HappyinHeels said:

mlroseplant,

I remember your street well. That's cool you have a block party there. Whilst I can't verify if you have the nicest legs in the neighbourhood I can absolutely say when I saw you help your kid start a push mower wearing heels I was in awe. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY did it better. That's a permanent compliment you can use during the dry months when they are few and far between. HinH

I don't exactly remember the mower-starting incident, but I'm sure it happened. However, it happens less and less with each passing month, as my son keeps growing bigger and stronger, and rarely needs help starting anything nowadays. Thanks for the compliment anyway!

As far as having the best legs in the neighborhood, I suppose I should qualify that to say that at least the skin on my legs is the nicest looking, save for a couple of high school girls, and they really don't count, being evil Birkenstock wearers and all. My leg skin is nicer probably because I take care of it fastidiously, and also because it's probably seen way fewer hours of sun exposure than your average woman my age.

Outfit of the Day: Nina animal print mules, which I got some time ago, but have never really worn out before, because they are not really my usual style, dark skinny jeans, medium blue polo shirt. Nothing earth-shaking, but the jeans are skinnier than normal, and the shoes are pointier than I've ever worn before. And they're closed-toed, which is a bit of a sacrilege for me during the summer, but I just wanted to wear them today. Shoes are 4 1/2", no platform, but are quite manageable despite the super skinny heel. And yes, I do ride my scooter in heels, almost every day.

Ninamules.PNG

• Like 7

4 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Looking good on your scooter there! Taking the mule style to another level. Good job. HinH

Thanks, HiH. I don't like wearing heels on a regular motorcycle, and I don't like it that much when driving a car, but a scooter is perfect for heels! This little 50cc scooter, bought for my elder son, is now waiting for my younger son to turn 14. In the meantime, I use it to do all my errands around town, as it gets over 100 miles to the gallon. I'm even considering getting rid of my regular motorcycle and getting one a them "maxi" scooters that can go highway speed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SF said:

No helmet???   Maybe one that matches the shoes???  ha ha   sf

I have to sheepishly admit that I don't wear a helmet around town. Iowa is one of the few states without a helmet law. For regular motorcycle riding, I have a very good helmet, but it seems like overkill to put on a giant full-face helmet to run up to the post office, less than a mile away. And if you're going to wear a giant full face helmet, you really ought to put on all the other gear, too.  I should get one of those half helmets for the scooter. That might be a good compromise between safety and convenience.

• Like 2

Actually, because of the power of lobbying efforts, riding without helmets is very common in many states as laws have been changed over the years. I have a rather libertarian view on this. If you're alone and want to ride without a helmet or drive or car without a seat belt I say nobody should legislate it. If you have a passenger under the legal age then that person MUST have a helmet or wear a seat belt. Of course also don't believe in getting government authorisation (permit) to build on or make meaningful changes to one's own land either but that's another story.  HinH

On 8/18/2019 at 1:50 PM, mlroseplant said:

Outfit of the Day: Nina animal print mules, which I got some time ago, but have never really worn out before, because they are not really my usual style, dark skinny jeans, medium blue polo shirt. Nothing earth-shaking, but the jeans are skinnier than normal, and the shoes are pointier than I've ever worn before. And they're closed-toed, which is a bit of a sacrilege for me during the summer, but I just wanted to wear them today. Shoes are 4 1/2", no platform, but are quite manageable despite the super skinny heel. And yes, I do ride my scooter in heels, almost every day.

Ninamules.PNG

Looking sharp buddy....I think the combination of biker gear and heels/boots is very powerful and alluring...

On 8/23/2019 at 5:38 AM, pebblesf said:

Looking sharp buddy....I think the combination of biker gear and heels/boots is very powerful and alluring...

I don't disagree with you there--I think it is an appealing look, it's just that I don't like to wear heels when riding a regular motorcycle. I've tried it before, and, safety concerns aside, I just don't like it. To tell you the truth, I don't even like driving a car in heels all that much. However, a scooter is awesome in heels!

On 8/23/2019 at 1:02 AM, HappyinHeels said:

Actually, because of the power of lobbying efforts, riding without helmets is very common in many states as laws have been changed over the years. I have a rather libertarian view on this. If you're alone and want to ride without a helmet or drive or car without a seat belt I say nobody should legislate it. If you have a passenger under the legal age then that person MUST have a helmet or wear a seat belt. Of course also don't believe in getting government authorisation (permit) to build on or make meaningful changes to one's own land either but that's another story.  HinH

When people live, work, and commute close together the argument for liberty seems difficult because it seems every little thing a person does has too many effects on everyone else crowded around.  One of my favorite things to do when I am just driving around the ranch is to hop in and out of the car with no seatbelt and drive around with a beer in the cup holder.  Would never do that on public roads but I will enjoy the freedom of private property at every opportunity.  

On 8/24/2019 at 6:01 AM, mlroseplant said:

I don't disagree with you there--I think it is an appealing look, it's just that I don't like to wear heels when riding a regular motorcycle. I've tried it before, and, safety concerns aside, I just don't like it. To tell you the truth, I don't even like driving a car in heels all that much. However, a scooter is awesome in heels!

I get the association of heels with scooters.  Reminds me of urban rush hour in crowded places (Asian cities) where people are just trying to get to the office in their business attire.  

• Like 1