The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

2 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

mlroseplant,

If it's any consolation I was painting in my barn on Sunday night and I a poorly-designed footstool gave out from under me. I landed on my feet but the side of the stool scraped my left shin leaving a nice mark. It will take a month for that scar to go away. Happy #51. #58 is next month for me. I look forward to NO birthday falls. HinH

This is why I always wear boots :p. Glad that you are ok and that a scar is the only injury!

Edited by p1ng74

The 50's was a good decade, now that I'm in my 60's. I fell last fall, stepped into the crack between two slabs of concrete.  Fell forward and got up right away. But still embarrassing.

I’ve slipped and tripped on things when I was 30 years old wearing 2” heels.  It just happens at any age.  If anything, heels probably contribute to better fitness and longevity.  The only person at church who wears 4” heels is a lady in her 70s who is not slowing down any time soon.  I’ve heard other ladies scold her saying “you should not be wearing those shoes!”  I’ve only just recently started doing 4” and I feel younger these days...

30 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

Imagine the arrogance of telling someone what they shouldn’t wear. It continually amazes me. 

To be fair, the lady doing the telling had been a medical professional all her life and had the best of intentions.  But I’ll be one of those people too who will also do things I’m not “supposed to do” if I ever get to be 70.  

Even so. Not her business. She wasn’t being consulted professionally. It was an ego-driven comment from where I sit. One wonders what, seriously, did she think would be the result of her comment? That the woman would take her shoes off on the spot, or scurry home and get rid of them, never to be worn again, having had her age and presumed infirmities brought vigorously to her attention? That the woman would be grateful? And like her? Of course not. Might have made her feel bad or self conscious, or annoyed, but not much else.

As to age, the Hussars used to claim that a Hussar who lived to 30 must have been a bit of a wimp. But then they opened bottles of champagne with sabres. 

Edited by Shyheels

2 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

To be fair, the lady doing the telling had been a medical professional all her life and had the best of intentions.  But I’ll be one of those people too who will also do things I’m not “supposed to do” if I ever get to be 70.  

Give me two months and I'll tell you what it's like doing things that, in other people's opinion, I'm not supposed to do (including reaching 70!).

It should be noted I was not wearing heels when standing on the foot stool the other night. Just some old tennis shoes. The stool has two metal bars about 2.5"/6cm  wide in a plus sign pattern. If you happen put your feet together in between the bars the stool becomes unstable. Now it's used as a plant stand. Got my painting done ahead of the returning cold this weekend since it's easier to heat the work area when the outside temperature is 35-40F/2-4C in contrast to the 17-22F/-8 to -6C temperatures coming this way. I also took a cedar chest I had inherited from my late stepfather, a Lane chest made in Altavista, Virginia, and mounted it on the wall as a cabinet. All the original hardware was inside a ziploc bag. My stepdad always was very organised. I wrote on the decorative oval on the side I had "elevated the chest to a wall-mounted cabinet in his memory". He was quite the craftsman. HappyinHeels

Thanks Ron C and Puffer. 2015 was a year I lost four family members; my stepdad on 2 May, an uncle on 4 May, my brother-in-law on 16 June, and my nephew on 17 Sept. My stepdad was the most vivid as I actually witnessed the moment of his passing which was a first for me. Things I had heard before anecdotally came into focus. After a number of hours unconscious his eyes opened and I felt a pressure on my hand accompanied by a steady and warm gaze. He said nothing. The eyes did the talking. It really was a peaceful moment for him.

When I do projects I often use the same tools he once did and this is a way I remember him. I have come to understand that nobody is truly gone if you strive to remember them through what they have passed on. I know this is very true in Native cultures in North America and I suspect it is also true in the older societies in the Eastern Hemisphere. Leave only footprints upon the Earth and pass on the imprint of knowledge upon those who knew you. This is what I would hope most of us would and should do. Leave contented as they gaze back at you. HappyinHeels

• Like 2

It is a truism that, whilst one can choose one's friends, one cannot choose relations.   (Notably so when the different between 'in-laws' and 'outlaws' is that outlaws are invariably wanted!)   

A half-way house often exists, however, with a step-parent.   I am a father of two and a step father of three (all now adult males).   I married the mother of my stepsons (who were all young at the time) because they came with her as a single attractive package - I would not have married her if I did not have, and expect to go on having, a good relationship with her boys.   And she would not have married me if her boys had been uncomfortable.   The step-relationship has worked well; we are very close and they mean as much to me, in a slightly different way, as do my own two sons.   I would be proud to have them as my natural sons and they look to me (boring pedantic old fart that I am!) as their friend and mentor.

• Thanks 1

It has taken some time, but I see that my thread has settled down into an online print representation of what my conversations in real life are actually like. I did pick the title of this thread fairly purposefully, but it has taken a few years for it to evolve into what I imagined when I started the thread. Thank you all who have made contributions to the conversation.

In other news, I can definitely say that I got by with falling down the other day. The knee upon which I fell was a little tender for a couple of days, but nothing serious, and now it is back to its normal, somewhat squirrelly self. I've always had a bit of trouble with that knee on and off for the past 25 years. However, I did unfortunately ruin my last unblemished pair of skinny jeans. I am in the market for replacements.

Puffer,

You're so right about the unique nature of the relationship of step-parents. After posting my recollection of my stepdad Ray I realised I had forgotten an important and unfortunate detail which highlights what you are saying. My stepdad Ray had two natural sons, Ray Junior and Darren. Darren was present earlier in the day of Ray's death as I remember telling him it had been an honour knowing his father. His other son, Ray Junior, was stuck in Florida trying to get out on a flight. I remember my mother calling him and I just told him to talk to his dad despite him not being conscious which he did. My siblings and I, Ray's stepchildren, had been tending to him the last four days emptying his IV bags and giving him medicine. It was I, a stepchild, who last held his hand and witnessed his last gaze and breath. The people to whom I have related this story just scratch their heads in disbelief. When Ray was cremated these same two natural children never retrieved the urns with the ashes of their own father. My urn is on my nightstand. I reconcile this event with the notion that sometimes the natural child/stepchild relationship is turned around which appears to have been the case here. I conclude, in the final analysis, the correct people were watching over him.  This is a classic case where one can and should say, WTF, but I have learned the world view really is like an iceberg. There's what you see and the majority of which you cannot see. Ray was physically in my life for 31 years but figuratively it will be much longer as I continue to harvest what he passed on to me. HappyinHeels

• Thanks 1

It is strange that both of the ongoing discussions have come together to some extent in my case.   I am retired but do a lot of renovation work on family properties and spent last week working on my eldest stepson's house, 140 miles away.   Last Saturday, I developed a painful swelling of my left knee/leg ('housemaid's knee') through kneeling down to repair a floor.   (So, not even through a 'fun' activity such as falling-off heels!)   I am still in pain and have to rest and provide remedial treatment, which is slowly working.   I hope to be fit enough to give my stepson further help (no charge!) when required shortly.

HinH: I am sorry to hear that Ray's natural sons did not match your feelings and concerns for him, but he did at least have you and that clearly meant a lot to both of you.   My stepsons still have their natural father, but although the relationship is not a sour one, it is not close either - and it is me to whom they look for help and guidance.   (I didn't say so before, but my stepsons get on very well with my natural sons and they all enjoy a get-together a couple of times a year - when yours truly is generally the butt of a lot of their collective (alleged) humour and what we call in the UK 'piss-taking'!   In return, I dish it out to each of them individually throughout the year. :cheeky:)

21 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Last Saturday, I developed a painful swelling of my left knee/leg ('housemaid's knee') through kneeling down to repair a floor. 

Get yourself some knee pads, worth their weight in gold. I had 4 knee surgeries so far and both knees currently have a small tear in the cartilage. I always use knee pads or knee down on a rubber mat.

Wow, HinH, your last two posts have been very moving.  I lost my Dad when I was 15 and never really knew him as an adult, which is something I missed terribly.  All too often it seems that step children live in conflict with step parents.  It is great to read your posts and see the respect and love you felt for him.  God bless.....

Thanks Ron. How we feel for family members, natural and extended, spiritual and adopted, is a rather complicated and deep-seeded thing. I take nothing or no person for granted as I'll be here on Earth for a limited engagement and want to fill my head with as much as I can. It is my lifelong university! HinH

10 hours ago, Cali said:

Get yourself some knee pads, worth their weight in gold. I had 4 knee surgeries so far and both knees currently have a small tear in the cartilage. I always use knee pads or knee down on a rubber mat.

I have some knee pads, but not with me on that occasion although I was kneeling on a soft mat.   The pain and swelling came on suddenly - and is only going away slowly.   Next time, I'll be better prepared.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 12:18 PM, mlroseplant said:

It has taken some time, but I see that my thread has settled down into an online print representation of what my conversations in real life are actually like. I did pick the title of this thread fairly purposefully, but it has taken a few years for it to evolve into what I imagined when I started the thread. Thank you all who have made contributions to the conversation.

In other news, I can definitely say that I got by with falling down the other day. The knee upon which I fell was a little tender for a couple of days, but nothing serious, and now it is back to its normal, somewhat squirrelly self. I've always had a bit of trouble with that knee on and off for the past 25 years. However, I did unfortunately ruin my last unblemished pair of skinny jeans. I am in the market for replacements.

Well I am glad you do well and I hope your knee is fully normal soon. Check your ankles anyway.

I’m new to HHP. I’ve enjoyed reading this blog. I, too, wore clogs at an early stage of my heeling.  I am so jealous of those of you hat can wear “normal” size women’s shoes. At my size, I am seriously limited to the Pleaser and similar shoes. Winter is my favorite season for heeling, Oxfords, Boots and such.  I am comfortable in 5 inch heels with few marathon events, the worst was an all day walk, with beer and pizza stops on the cobbles in Copenhagen in my Seduce 460 oxfords. Probably 5 miles that day. 

Regarding comfort in heels, my feet have high arches, and my toes seem to compress commfortably in the toe box.  I have started enjoying Small platforms, like my Flair boots and some recently purchased two tone oxfords. 

I usually have my shoes mostly hidden by long slacks or boot cut jeans. Even though these heels let me tower at 6’8”, the stiletto heels rarely get noticed, and I almost always get positive comments.  

Thanks for the chance to add to your thread here.

Welcome, this is a nice place, especially if you like to wear high heels!  

I can realate, at 6ft 3in, I keep my heels down to 3 inches or less. I enjoy wearing heels but don’t want to look like the giant looming over all creation.  

Wearing heels is an enjoyable thing, glad you found this site, we need more guys out in high heels!!

Have fun....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Hello everybody from Hanoi, Vietnam, and Happy (Lunar) New Year!

In years past, I have made a big deal, and usually a separate post, about having to give up heels for three weeks, but everything is understated this year. It seems impossible that I'm actually here, but here I sit, halfway around the world, writing to you. With no high heels. For those of you who are new to the site, or new to my thread, let me explain about the heels. My wife is pretty tolerant of my heels, but not here in her home country, and that's probably right. Northern Vietnam is probably not yet ready for a guy in heels, at least not in our social circles. Unlike in years past, I do not have any definite plans. I have a borrowed guitar, and two family-owned pianos to tune, and that's about it.

I do have one heel-related thing to report, however. On our trip from Dallas/Fort Wort to Incheon, Korea, we had a flight attendant who worked the entire 14 hour flight in heels! It's the first time I've ever seen such a thing. This time, unusually, we flew an American-owned airline to our transfer point in Korea. We just buy whatever are the cheapest tickets in any given year, and usually it's through Korea, and on a Korean airline. This year, I am happy to report that our American-owned airline outdid the Korean-owned airlines in service and experience, and they had a high-heeled flight attendant as a bonus (not really their own doing). So this woman greeted us wearing higher than 4 inch black patent pumps. Not super high, but among flight attendants, definitely something to notice. Once we were in the air, she changed into clogs, which is not super unusual for American flight attendants, but these clogs were special among her colleagues. They were actually high heeled. Not like a 4 inch difference in height between heel and toe, but surprisingly steep for the job at hand.  I do not have any pictures to show you, the opportunity simply didn't present itself, but I estimate they were close to 3 inch difference between heel and toe. I would estimate a 4 inch heel with a 1 inch platform. I've never seen anybody work a flight, especially not a long one, in heels like that. I was impressed. I found pictures on the internet which show shoe really similar to hers, but not exactly. Hers were all black, instead of having the natural wood-colored heel, but they were very similar, a sling-back style clog.

My other picture is our arrival in Hanoi, at the curb outside the airport, waiting for our ride home, showing the women in our family.

Cabin.PNG

Noibai19.PNG

I recall seeing a picture of one of the airline's female staff rooms (possibly Pan Am, circa 1960) where there were instructions displayed on dress and grooming.   One of these, quite prominent, was reminding the stewardesses to wear: Heels, at least 4" .   Alas, no longer!

Edited by Puffer

4 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Love your travel bags, very basic indeed, easy to spot on the carrasell too.

I'm old enough to Remember the occasional flight attendant in heels, but you're right been a long time. 

We discovered a long time ago that a modern set of luggage lasts approximately 1 1/2 trips to Asia. The cardboard boxes last 1 trip, with enough shipping tape applied.  The cardboard boxes are much cheaper, and certainly have less tare weight. Also, we travel a lot heavier TO Vietnam than we do on the way back home. Thankfully. 

My ex-wife used to work for American Airlines in the 1980s - 90s. At that time, their policy for women was at least 2 inch heels for airport and boarding, flats to 1 inch heels for flight time. I do not know what their policy is today. I imagine there is no heel requirement at all, nowadays. I am also unaware whether there is a maximum heel height restriction. I would guess that there is. 

Edited by mlroseplant