The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

mlroseplant,

There are two things which work together to put stress on engines: vibrations as a byproduct of friction and temperatures. Now concerning shoes you can consider vibrations and moisture. The vibrations are naturally caused from walking but moisture from below, remember every time it rains or snows or sleets that moisture is greatest at the ground, and above when your feet sweat eventually find their way to that piece of regular steel. Your feet sweat and every step you take is forcing that moisture through the cushion until it hits a point it can't get past; the metal strip. That strip is not stainless steel or reinforced steel so it has a much higher incidence of structural failure as mlroseplant has shown us. In the northern areas of the United States and southern Canada salt on the paved surfaces can speed up the oxidation of any ferrous-type surface. The moisture enters through the side where the cushion is glued to the last. Placing a thin bead of clear silicone along the edge where cushion meets the last or unit with a cotton swab will certainly stem the moisture around the edges.  It is this same basic process which causes bridges to fail before their normal cycle of replacement. It is entirely plausible to extract the metal strip and replace it with a better one supposing one could get the end of it and pull it out. One would need a torch to bend a new one using the old one as a template. Most people do not know how to do it or just will not bother. This is why so many things are manufactured with "scheduled obsolescence" in mind. Put another way; "We'll make it look good enough on the shelf to sell and have it made at slave labour wages so the CEO can buy a bigger yacht and we know, when the product fails, Jane Q. Public or John Q. Public will not know to whom to complain nor have the will to see it through." There are people and places, Cuba and Mexico come to mind, where they can fix just about anything you put in front of them. There are a few garages and basements in the USA and other places I suspect where diligent tinkerers eagerly await the next challenge. I believe if something you really really like fails you then the inspiration to fix it should grow. You just cannot be afraid to try. Companies are in the business of primarily making money and secondarily pleasing you. They are geared to ignoring you or discounting you until it becomes apparent you are an informed consumer who will not back down.You can either engage them or you can fix it yourself with good ol' American or British or Canadian or wherever know-how.   HappyinHeels

Ah yes, Australia! My favourite line when painting a picture about relative size is the following: (from Crocodile Dundee)

Linda Kozlowski: what's this place called?

Paul Hogan" MylongtoMick or Mick's Place.

Kozlowski: How big is Mick's Place?

Hogan: It's not very big really. You could walk across it in three or four days.

Kozlowski: You can walk across New York State in two.

Hogan: Ahhh, but this is the Territory. Anything under a thousand square miles is a hobby farm.

Whilst I understand artistic licence and all that there is a bit of truth to this. When I worked in Texas in the Border Patrol we often went on the famous King Ranch. The head of security on that particular division had mentioned they had 880,000 acres in South Texas but their largest holding was the 2.1 million acres they have in Australia. When you think 640 acres is one square mile and Australia is 2,966,000 square miles with only 17 million people around the edges it becomes easier to understand just how vast the interior really is. While the USA is larger by 800,000 square miles it is much better watered and laid out differently. There are empty stretches in the lower 48 states but nothing on the order of Australia. That isolation must make for hardy stock and ingenuity...and some serious drinking! HinH

6 minutes ago, HappyinHeels said:

You are, undoubtedly, a repository of varied information. How often do you actually have to buy your own drinks? Must come from constant reading, learning, and travelling!:fine: HinH 

I have been very, very fortunate in that my job, my entire career, has been like one long education in the world. I have travelled to many, many places but more importantly while there have been able to meet lots of people from all walks of life and learn from them. Being enthusiastic about it all, I tend to remember things - facts and viewpoints. And of course there is always loads of time to read on long flights! 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I have been very, very fortunate in that my job, my entire career, has been like one long education in the world. I have travelled to many, many places but more importantly while there have been able to meet lots of people from all walks of life and learn from them. Being enthusiastic about it all, I tend to remember things - facts and viewpoints. And of course there is always loads of time to read on long flights! 

Those of you familiar with the UK television quiz show 'The Chase' (an excellent source of both education and entertainment), might well consider Shyheels to be eligible for appointment as one of the Chasers (who are all high-ranking founts of all wisdom).   But he might have to leave the OTK boots at home and agree to wear a suit and tie ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Those of you familiar with the UK television quiz show 'The Chase' (an excellent source of both education and entertainment), might well consider Shyheels to be eligible for appointment as one of the Chasers (who are all high-ranking founts of all wisdom).   But he might have to leave the OTK boots at home and agree to wear a suit and tie ... 

I think tall boots go well with a suit and tie, just clean and polish them up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puffer said:

I would be so self conscious in a suit the suit would be wearing me, not the other way around. And as for a tie...

• Sad 1

I agree with Ping. I wear heels both shoes and boots with a suit coat and tie. I like the look especially when I go to church on Sunday, mornings. I often get compliments on my attire both from women and men, there.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

On 1/3/2019 at 7:21 PM, Shyheels said:

I would be so self conscious in a suit the suit would be wearing me, not the other way around. And as for a tie...

It is a long established fact that you are just not a suit and tie kind of guy. That does not necessarily get you off the hook when it comes to being teased about it. Evidently, especially about the ties! (Insert some dumb, laughing emoji here, and maybe a winky one for good measure)

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 6:01 PM, SF said:

Mlroseplant....   How are your welding skills??  

Metal fatigue can be very insidious.  Sadly, it was the cause of the demise of the de Havilland DH106 Comet, the world's first commercial jet airliner in the 1950's....  And seemingly your favorite heels as well...  I hate it when my fav sandals finally quit...  Now go find another pair !!

Happy New Year....    sf

On 1/1/2019 at 6:57 PM, Jkrenzer said:

Wow, the comet reference. In truth the rectangular windows were the demise of the plane. They didn't understand stress risers then like we know today. Dehaviland would be Boeing except for that oversight.

Metal fatigue along with the plane building a poor reputation after numerous early rotation incidents caused the plane to roll off the end of runways.

Kinda cool having both heels and airplane interest/knowledge in common :-)

Edited by AZShoeNut
Additional thought

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Youbetcha.....   Airplanes (including helicopters - he he) and High Heels, the best of both worlds!!  I find reading aircraft accident investigations to be both fascinating and life saving.  But when flying (piloting) I leave the heels at home, or at least in the suitcase.  Have fun.....   sf

PS....  Melrose, sorry - sorta got off topic here. Now back to the regularly scheduled programming in progress. 

Edited by SF
  • Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

We had our first significant snowfall of the season starting Friday night, and continuing all day Saturday. It was a snow with a remarkable lack of violence--it just kept snowing a little bit at a time for nearly 24 hours, and when it was all done, we had about 5 or 6 inches on the ground. Did this stop me from wearing heels? Silly question. I found it necessary to venture out to my local grocery store, and I wore my new-to-me Sam Edelman "Flair" clogs, which have become my go-to shoes this winter. With the very high heel and platform, there were only a very few places where the snow came over the top of them, and they seem to have remarkable grip on the snow and ice.

My 10 year old son and I finished our business before my wife did, and we were hanging around the front door, waiting. A young mother carrying her about one year old daughter happened to pass by, and remarked, "You should NOT be wearing those shoes today!" It was kind of an interruption of my thoughts or whatever conversation I may have been having at the time, and I was somewhat surprised, so I said, "Well, why not?" "Well, what if you fall down?" She asked. "What if YOU fall down? You are carrying your daughter. At least if I fall down, I will only hurt myself." It was rather more confrontational than what I intended, but I think the expression on my face made up for the harshness of my words. It didn't feel terrible, but obviously the young lady was anxious to be on her way, realizing the absurdity of accosting a stranger in such a manner. I mean really, I probably won't fall down. I hardly ever do.

IMG_9812.PNG

If someone asks me “What if you fall down?”  I would answer “I would get back up” :P

Heels are actually useful for wading in sloshy stuff.  The nobility supposedly used to wear heels to stay above all the horse manure and things in the streets.  I like my 2” heels when I am walking around the barn for the same reason.  If my heels sink into some mud or worse at least my socks, feet, and pants are not going to be drenched.  

A good reason also for wearing tall boots - not only do you enjoy warmer feet and ankles but your trousers stay dry and free of mud. It really is surprising more men do not wear tall boots for sheer practicality’s sake, let alone stylishness

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

A good reason also for wearing tall boots - not only do you enjoy warmer feet and ankles but your trousers stay dry and free of mud. It really is surprising more men do not wear tall boots for sheer practicality’s sake, let alone stylishness

Where I live, the taller the boot, the harder you are.  People who spend time stomping around in brush know the role of good boots in staying comfortable. 

Indeed! I have a very tough vintage pair of knee boots (also quite dressy) that has served me well on assignments where there were snakes - notably in cane fields in northern Queensland during the harvest when there were a lot of taipans and king browns about. My boots were deeply envied 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

If someone asks me “What if you fall down?”  I would answer “I would get back up” :P

On 12/23/17, I found an unexpected patch of Ice  while wearing men's western boots with about a 1-1/2" heel. My feet went left, my right shoulder made contact on the ice covered concrete. On march 1st, I had shoulder surgery. 3 completely torn tendons, and the bicep needed rebuilding.

I've been a cold weather person for all my life - - - maybe it's time to reconsider.

12 minutes ago, Heelster said:

On 12/23/17, I found an unexpected patch of Ice  while wearing men's western boots with about a 1-1/2" heel. My feet went left, my right shoulder made contact on the ice covered concrete. On march 1st, I had shoulder surgery. 3 completely torn tendons, and the bicep needed rebuilding.

I've been a cold weather person for all my life - - - maybe it's time to reconsider.

Ouch... hope you have able to recover and get back up from all that!

8 minutes ago, p1ng74 said:

Ouch... hope you have able to recover and get back up from all that!

Doing pretty good actually. was a pain for about 6 months. Right hand / arm was pretty worthless for awhile.

2 hours ago, Heelster said:

Ouch.... sorry to hear!

9 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

My 10 year old son and I finished our business before my wife did, and we were hanging around the front door, waiting. A young mother carrying her about one year old daughter happened to pass by, and remarked, "You should NOT be wearing those shoes today!" 

Cute story. Obviously not having been there I cant know the tone it was said in, Maybe she was just saying it out of care? it doesn't sound like she had any issue with the heels, just that  it wasn't a great choice in her opinion for today, lest you slip?

Indeed the fact that she said 'today' may have meant just that, a jocular remark that it's slippery out, take care. Not having heard the tone, but only reading the words as dialogue, it is just as easy to draw a light-hearted interpretation.  

Edited by Shyheels

This whole exchange was quite a bit lighter and gigglier (is that even a word?) than it sounds on paper. It could have been even more so had I not been involved in a completely different conversation at the time. I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'm still counting it as an overall positive experience. 

Well, because she was right! I shouldn't have been wearing those shoes under those conditions, but it's sort of what I do. Nobody even fusses at me any more when I show up to church on a snowy day in very high heels, walking down the very same icy sidewalk where hips have been broken.

And yes, the Sam Edelman clogs, which have a lightly lugged sole, are remarkably grippy, even compared to your average sports shoe. The Nine West pumps I wore to church? Not so much. That just relies on sheer talent and experience, and maybe a little bit of luck. Jeff B always says if the streets ain't dry, then my heels ain't high. My mantra has become, "I probably won't fall down. Damn the torpedoes!"

Well,  when I saw you helping your son try to start a push mower wearing your clogs I thought to myself; "here's a guy who doesn't let any situation interfere with his appointed heels for the day." The mower got stated and the grass got cut so put that in the win column for one more activity done in heels. I have never started a push mower in heels or played an instrument in them. I have a lot of experience driving long distances in them and shopping in different cities in them. It would seem to me your confidence propels you along when the conditions aren't the best. Maybe this summer I'll master the fine art of working on a car in heels :fine: HappyinHeels

6 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Well,  when I saw you helping your son try to start a push mower wearing your clogs I thought to myself; "here's a guy who doesn't let any situation interfere with his appointed heels for the day." The mower got stated and the grass got cut so put that in the win column for one more activity done in heels. I have never started a push mower in heels or played an instrument in them. I have a lot of experience driving long distances in them and shopping in different cities in them. It would seem to me your confidence propels you along when the conditions aren't the best. Maybe this summer I'll master the fine art of working on a car in heels :fine: HappyinHeels

That’s my goal too, not to let any situation be really any different just because I am in heels.  I changed a tire on the side of the road in heels once.  You do what you have to do.  

Edited by p1ng74
Missing key word

Well doggone it, I DID fall down yesterday. I was in a parking garage which was not well lit, with temperatures right around the freezing mark. I stepped on a small patch of ice that I didn't realize was there, and down I went.  I am going to say that in this case, there is a good chance I would have fallen regardless. I didn't feel like the heels were a factor, unlike the last and only other time I have fallen in heels. The situation was quite similar. 

I am proud to say that, even as my 51st birthday approaches tomorrow, I was up in a flash, without much injury, just my pride. There may or may not have been witnesses, haha. 

• Like 1

mlroseplant,

If it's any consolation I was painting in my barn on Sunday night and I a poorly-designed footstool gave out from under me. I landed on my feet but the side of the stool scraped my left shin leaving a nice mark. It will take a month for that scar to go away. Happy #51. #58 is next month for me. I look forward to NO birthday falls. HinH