The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

It's been a while since I received a compliment from a stranger, but I got one yesterday. I was at the grocery store to pick up a couple of things real quick. I was wearing my Michael Kors Sommerly wedges with shorts and a t-shirt, nothing special. 

As I was walking in the parking lot to go back to my car, a young woman who was maybe about 25-30 years old caught my attention and said, "Cute shoes!" My first reaction was to giggle, which in the grand scheme of things wasn't a horrible reaction. I thanked her and looked down at her shoes. She was wearing white, strappy wedges which were attractive with her office casual outfit. I quickly said, "Yours, too!" We smiled at each other and walked away. A very brief encounter, but I thought it was worth noting. 

IMG_8466.PNG

IMG_8442.JPG

IMG_8443.JPG

• Like 5

For some reason, I find it mentally easier to wear wedges with shorts than I do shoes with a separate heel. Somehow, it doesn't seem quite so "over the top." Mind games, I suppose, since the whole getup is rather "over the top" for around here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

For some reason, I find it mentally easier to wear wedges with shorts than I do shoes with a separate heel. Somehow, it doesn't seem quite so "over the top." Mind games, I suppose, since the whole getup is rather "over the top" for around here. 

As someone who is wearing shorts and wedges right now... I totally agree with you ... 
I was considering what heels to choose. Stilettos just didn't seem to go, so I chose one of my fave 5" pairs of wedges. It had a nice denim-style look, so its pretty casual too. Will try take some snaps. 

• Like 1

mlroseplant,

Nice wedges and, like you said. nothing over the top. Sometimes it's simple things like that which draw the most appreciation. I'd say some of wedges have gotten the most positive reaction. Not quite what the "Carlow" heels in my avatar have gotten though. They're not so subtle which maybe is the allure. ANyway, YOU, look very avant garde for the Des Moines area. HappyinHeels

• 3 weeks later...

I received another unsolicited compliment today about my Micheal Kors sandals. There is a lady about my age who comes to church every other Sunday (I think she works every other Sunday), and she is always in heels herself, usually sustantial wedges. Today, she asked me if I liked her shoes. They were 5" wedge heeled sandals with marabou type feathers on them. I cooed over them a bit, then she asked me about my shoes, what brand they were and what size I wear. I suppose our conversation might have continued a little longer had my duties not obligated me to go right then. Included is a picture of my shoes. 

IMG_8548.PNG

Edited by mlroseplant
Spelling error
  • Like 5

mlrose...  wow I really like those sandals.  You can handle that heel??  Way to high for me, I am more a 2 inch heel guy.  Yesterday I wore gals flats to church, but I have worn heels in the past.  Everyone is really cool about it and that's very nice....   see ya, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

mlroseplant: Can't believe how lucky you are getting compliments non other at church. Difficult for any woman to compliment another suppose it's envy, jealousy in what they are wearing. For you a man to get a compliment is almost unheard of. Ask yourself how many compliments a year you gather? 

Your church friend wearing wedges must be intrigued of you enough to ask not judging you as most woman do to male wearing female attire.

Have always had belief if you always wear something spectacular be it clothes or in your case incredible peep toe sandal heels woman envy us and may inquire about it, even compliment us indirectly. Those heels your wearing are good height in my opinion seeing the 3" or less heel height lacks its effectiveness might as wear flats. 

Good job worthy sharing on the forum rare to hear such a good thing. Does it make you uncomfortable talking about your heels to a woman or chat about fashion styles that you may share interest in? 

Edited by MackyHeels

13 hours ago, MackyHeels said:

mlroseplant: Can't believe how lucky you are getting compliments non other at church. Difficult for any woman to compliment another suppose it's envy, jealousy in what they are wearing. For you a man to get a compliment is almost unheard of. Ask yourself how many compliments a year you gather? 

Your church friend wearing wedges must be intrigued of you enough to ask not judging you as most woman do to male wearing female attire.

Have always had belief if you always wear something spectacular be it clothes or in your case incredible peep toe sandal heels woman envy us and may inquire about it, even compliment us indirectly. Those heels your wearing are good height in my opinion seeing the 3" or less heel height lacks its effectiveness might as wear flats. 

Good job worthy sharing on the forum rare to hear such a good thing. Does it make you uncomfortable talking about your heels to a woman or chat about fashion styles that you may share interest in? 

I think it is because he wears them so naturally, and is obviously at ease with what he is wearing, and with himself, that natural acceptance and natural conversations follow. That's what equality looks and sounds and feels like.

mlroseplant,

Yep, lucky guy to get the attention of heel-wearing women on your own heels. AS far as church goes, any one smart knows any "judging" is left to the Lord. I think most women appreciate nice things no matter whom is wearing them. It seems this woman is just such a person. It has happened to me though not as often as it has to you. More proof more of us need to just get out there and do our thing in the heels of our choice.  HappyinHeels

• Like 2

Wow, so many replies in my absence! Thank you for all the compliments and votes of confidence. I see some of you have some questions, which I will try to answer when I get time. The new job has gone into overtime already, and it's made me less available.

• Like 1

I have a minute or two to ruminate some more on my life in heels at church. I normally wear sandals somewhat like that in the summertime to church. Yes, @SF, I know they are kind of high (5"), but it has taken over 4 years of fairly intensive practice to get to the point where I sometimes forget I'm wearing them. Plus, I don't have your height "problem." In fact, sometime during the last 5 years, I've lost 3/8" in height, so I now have to round down to 5'5", rather than rounding up to 5'6". Getting old!

@MackyHeels, I used to be uncomfortable talking to women about my shoes, I suppose in some part because I felt like I had to justify or explain myself. I've gotten over that some time ago, so if they want to know why, they are just going to have to ask, otherwise we'll just compare and contrast on equal footing (pun intended).

@Shyheels, you are not too wrong in your assessment of Iowa, though I guess your reply was at least partly in jest. One of the things about heeling in Iowa is that if people like your style, they will say so. If they don't, they are generally too polite to say anything, even if they notice. After all, whose parents raise them to yell at strangers? Well, unless somebody is about to lose the cargo out of the back of thier pickup truck, and they don't realize it--then it's ok to yell at strangers.

I really don't usually receive this much attention. I would say I get complimented half a dozen times per year at the most. It's just been coincidence that I've had two compliments in less than a month.

• Like 2

I was not really jesting, although it may have seemed like it. I have been to Iowa and spent quite a bit of time in neighbouring Nebraska a few - quite a few - years ago. Nice, friendly outgoing people, I thought. 

Mlrose, I like Iowa, I had the pleasure of wearing heels in Iowa last month, at Harrah's in Council Bluffs.  We stayed there for a few days while in transit to Minnesota - I know, Minnesota - ha ha.  As usual, I was the only guy wearing heels (where were you?), but there were quite a few other gals there (Iowan's?) wearing really nice heels.  And no one said anything, but I did get some looks.  

And yes, my "height problem" actually can be a problem - clothes don't fit well, don't fit in most cars, and everyone assumes I am good at or like basketball.  ha ha....

Sometimes being tall ain't all it's cracked up to be.    Plus I can't / won't wear 4 inch heels like you, OK I'm jealous....  

But I still like the sandals.  Take care.....   sf 

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Many of you may recall that last November, I reached my goal of walking 1,000 recorded miles (or about 1.600 km) in high heels. I did it by taking short walks several times a week (usually 1-3 miles at a time) over the course of close to three years. The problem with having accomplished this goal is that I have pretty much stopped walking. It has been over a year since I've had a month where I recorded more than 30 miles, which used to be about average for me. Much of 2017 has a big fat "0" next to each month in my log.

This has had three effects:

1) I take my car for many more short trips than I used to. You would be surprised how much fuel this actually burns up. As a percentage of the total mileage I drive (my commute to work is 95% highway), the short trips around town are very small, but they have significantly reduced my overall fuel economy.

2) I have gotten fatter. I haven't necessarily gained much weight, but I've definitely gotten fatter. Except for my butt, which has gotten smaller. I thought this was the case just by the way I felt, but I actually put a tape measure to it, and yes, my belly has gotten bigger, and my butt has gotten smaller. Not a good thing. YOU WOULD THINK that as physical as my job is, and how much incidental walking I have to do, that it would prevent this from happening. It has not!

3) I don't wear heels as well as I used to. Now that I have 5 years experience wearing heels regularly outside, you'd think it would be like riding a bicycle, once you learn it, you never forget. It is not. I think it's more like ballet, or practicing an instrument--if you take more than a little time off, you lose something significant, and you definitely lose endurance.

I took a short walk yesterday, the first in a very long time, and no, walking from the parking lot to the grocery store just doesn't count for much, I am discovering. I only went a mile, and I wore some nice sturdy sandals with a thicker heel. They are pretty high, with a 4" difference between the heel and forefoot (5" heel, 1" platform), but a year ago, I would have considered them good candidates for wearing to an amusement park or an all-day shopping trip. Wow! My legs were feeling fatigued after only one mile! Nothing hurt at all, and I wouldn't expect it to, but I can't believe I used to walk up to 5 miles in these things without giving much thought to it.

So, my friends, it is time for me to start regularly walking again. And probably start doing squats.

• Like 2

mlroseplant,

Have you thought about doing squats in heels??? That would an interesting log entry. Think of walking this way. What is your goal?? People normally go walking to exercise their legs and their heart. Wearing heels, while not recommended by podiatrists, definitely will strengthen the calves. Wearing heels for fun or style or both doesn't mean you have to give up walking at all. Two different disciplines with different benefits. I am getting close to 57 and walk all the time and like to hike. I wear 5-6" heels nearly everyday, especially wedges, yet I still do plenty of outdoor chores from dig drainage ditches, cut grass with a push mower, split wood, transplant trees, and move rocks. Guy stuff, girl shoes, cool existence :). WHile I never was fan of running I can still do it. My brother and I still run the mile at his old high school in PA. He was always the sprinter in the family. He can vaporize me at 100 yards but he has yet to beat me in the mile and I'm 12 years older than he. Last time for both of  us was 6:55 for me and 6:58 for him. When II was 49 a guy at the office was feeling his oats and challenged me to five pushups. I stared at him and I did the five and he did not. He then bet I couldn't do a one-armed push up. Admittedly feeling challenged and while wearing slacks and a vest I went down and pulled it off.....a one-arm push up by anyone's definition. I wasn't expecting it but maybe I've kept myself in better shape than I thought. MAybe it's thsose Quebecois-Iroquois family genes who knows?  Anyone can take better of themselves but it takes determination. The same determination you used to master walking in heels. HappyinHeels

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Friends, it has been a while since I have posted regularly. Life has gotten busy. I have set some goals for myself outside the world of high heels that takes a good deal of my time.

Today, I want to address something that has bothered me for years. Even after more than 5 years of habitual public heeling, and over 1,000 documented miles of walking in heels, I still suck at walking down stairs. I have never actually fallen down the stairs while wearing heels, but I have come close several times. And even when I don't fear for my life, I just feel terribly awkward walking down stairs in heels. I'm a pro at it in bare feet or flat shoes. 

I think this week, I have finally pinpointed the problem. There is some combination of weakness in my quads and glutes that are simply not strong enough to control my steps downward in heels. That last couple inches to the next step downward is a bit of a freefall. I think if I could get to the point where I could hold my leading foot for several seconds an inch above the next lowest step, it would improve my grace descending the staircase. 

Any thoughts or stories about this problem?

I walk up and down stairs at work all the time.  I have taken to holding on to the railing as I walk down stairs. I also pay a lot of attention to what I'm doing on stairs, up or down.

mlroseplant,

I have found the technique is to go down with the feet canted at an angle to compensate for the higher angle. I have gone down steps in my own house, department stores, and even a set of carpeted steps at a restaurant with Steve63130 and his wife in 6" wedge boots and always descended with the feet angled. I want to master every venue and situation in heels just as any woman would want to. It is the only way you'll fully enjoy the heeled footwear you've already invested in. I've worn wedges shopping and at an outdoor wedding and pumps to dinner and platform sandals to a few parties over the years and never fallen anywhere. I pay attention to the approaches to any venue to avoid potential problems. It doesn't mean it will not happen but it hasn't yet and it doesn't frighten me. I have so many heels of 6"/15cm or higher so now's not the time to get scared. HappyinHeels

• Like 2

Mlroseplant,

Yes, I notice it's been a while since you posted. Glad you're back!

While I don't wear heels as high as HiH, I have never had any trepidation going down or up stairs. I do usually angle my feet so they're not perpendicular to the steps, and that certainly makes it easier. But the best advice, as Cali noted, is to hold on to the handrail and pay attention to where you put your feet. Oh, and practice, practice, practice. As far as building up your leg muscles, sure, it can't hurt. 

Good luck!

Steve

6 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

Mlroseplant,

Yes, I notice it's been a while since you posted. Glad you're back!

While I don't wear heels as high as HiH, I have never had any trepidation going down or up stairs. I do usually angle my feet so they're not perpendicular to the steps, and that certainly makes it easier. But the best advice, as Cali noted, is to hold on to the handrail and pay attention to where you put your feet. Oh, and practice, practice, practice. As far as building up your leg muscles, sure, it can't hurt. 

Good luck!

Steve

You don't mean that you angle your feet so that they are no longer perpendicular to the stair treads, do you?   (In other words, your legs are not vertical but are leaning.)   If you do lean your legs and heels, this would surely make you very unstable and risk losing or damaging the shoe.   I assume you mean that you angle your feet by turning your whole body to the left or right as you descend, which effectively gives a wider step to walk on.

Please explain before anyone has an accident during trials!

At a company conference I have to go down several stairs with no handrail, so I have to be extremely careful in my heels! I've noticed people in platforms and they have to be extra careful, as I've noticed the 'top'  foot tends to rock forward just before your 'bottom' foot gets to the next stair! Lethal!

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

Puffer,

I didn't consider that my text could be taken another way, but I did mean that, looking down, I position my feet so that they are at an angle to the direction in which I'm walking. For 32 years we lived in an old Victorian house (HappyinHeels, Vector, and a few others have seen it) which had a stairway with 17 steps, straight, no landing. I got lots of practice. Now, we live in a retirement cottage all on one level, no basement, no steps, not even at the front door. It's all wheelchair accessible, which fortunately neither I nor my wife need just yet. So I'm not getting as much stairway practice as I used to!

Steve