The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

8 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Looking great!

Thank you!

29 minutes ago, SF said:

I like the sandals in the last (bottom) photograph......  sf

I also prefer, just on pure looks, the Michael Kors sandals in the bottom photo. Howevaaaahh, given the terrain of the place (in the foothills of northern Georgia), the sturdier-heeled Vera Wang sandals were better friends to me. Walking down some of those hills, I could definitely feel the thinner heels flex noticeably. But you wouldn't know anything about hills in San Francisco, right? In fact, I don't even know how you do it. Hard core as I am, I don't think I'd wear heels while visiting San Francisco. Horrors!

Music is easier to play and sounds much better when the person performing is completely comfortable, isn't it?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

8 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

But you wouldn't know anything about hills in San Francisco, right? In fact, I don't even know how you do it. Hard core as I am, I don't think I'd wear heels while visiting San Francisco. Horrors!

You don't walk up and down some of those streets. Most of the people who walk up and down those streets are tourist, not the people of SF. Most of SF is flat or relatively flat (waterfront, business district). But I've walked Chinatown in heels several times. You just have to be careful to avoid going down steep streets.

Horror is walking across newly installed turf or a gravel road in stiletto heels.

Edited by Cali

Glad you had a good time, Mlroseplant! I liked all your heels!

I first went public with heels in a big way in San Francisco, wearing my Aerosoles "Platonic" sandals in black with black tights (my avatar photo). They have a 3.5" heel that I found very challenging going downhill, but pretty easy going uphill. Admittedly, since it was my first serious public outing, I wasn't in great shape for it, but I managed to survive, and I had fun wearing those heels, in spite of my sore feet!

Steve

Aerosoles Platonic black in SF 1 close-up.JPG

All,   Certainly am familiar with San Francisco and all it offers. Wedges work well there and the strappier the better for stability. Don't hide them under jeans rather wear cropped or skinny styles so your pants don't catch on anything. Anything edgy or original from your heart is appreciated there. That's why it is the SF we all have heard of.    HappyinHeels

I had a close call yesterday. I got these Charles by Charles David wedges a couple of months ago, and as the weather has gotten quite warm as of late, I have been adding them to my rotation. I don’t necessarily love them, but they’re attractive enough I guess. They’re real leather, but not exactly super high quality leather. They’re comfortable. They have a 5 inch heel with a 1 3/8” platform. They’re just solid, casual sandals.

I’ve worn them out several times with no problem, but yesterday I ran into a big problem. I needed to pay a couple of bills locally, so I got into my car with a couple of checks and invoice stubs to take them where they needed to go. It was very hot yesterday, and the inside of my car was super hot, I was burning my legs on the seat, and that sort of thing. My first destination was just a few minutes from my house, so the air conditioner didn’t get a chance to cool down the car much.

I stepped out of the car, and my feet were so sweaty that my right sandal just would not stay on. My foot kept slipping out of it. Luckily, I only had to walk about 50 feet to get inside the building, and maybe another 20 feet once I was inside. I didn’t think I was going to make it back to my car without having to remove my shoes, it was that bad. I literally had to walk about 1/4 speed to keep my shoes on my feet. Naturally, there was some guy pulling up behind me in his car at the very moment I walked back out to the street to get back in my car. Oh well. Hopefully, he didn’t notice.

When I arrived at my next destination, I took a Kleenex (the only thing I had available) and wiped the tops of my feet dry, as well as the undersides of the straps on the sandals, and I had no trouble at all after that. However, that spooked me. I’ve never had this kind of trouble before with any sandal, or certainly not to that extreme extent. I’m a little bit afraid to wear these out again unless it’s under 90 degrees.

IMG_8202.JPG

IMG_8203.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

I stepped out of the car, and my feet were so sweaty that my right sandal just would not stay on.

Funny, I've never had a pair of boots do that to me, even in 90F (32C) weather. :penitent:

:wavey:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

On 16/06/2017 at 1:05 PM, Thighbootguy said:

Funny, I've never had a pair of boots do that to me, even in 90F (32C) weather. :penitent:

:wavey:

In these kinds of temps, I feet seem to swell a bit, and I can't get some of mine on. Once they are, they don't come off.

I was out today and saw a 'wally world' customer walking around in man sandals and white socks (Yuck) but what caught my eye was the 'hillbilly chrome' holding them together - - - Geez - your at Walmart - - - - get a new pair and lose the socks!!!

Shopping at my local rural Walmart is always an adventure in ""Really poor taste""!!!

• Like 1

They don't allow Wally World in my town. Nearest one is 20-30 miles away. I think I have only been in one or two WW's in my life.

Maybe he came to WW for his 'hillbilly chrome'.

And there is also the possibility that his feet are not suited for public viewing.

I had a friend with psoriasis and his toe nails were very very nasty...nothing he could do. It was for everybody's benefit that he wore socks with sandals. But now he's on Humira and his nails don't grow crazy and nasty and he shields the socks when it's warm enough for him.

3 hours ago, Cali said:

They don't allow Wally World in my town. Nearest one is 20-30 miles away. I think I have only been in one or two WW's in my life.

Lucky you - It's the only major retail store nearby. There are 4 within a half hour drive. Malls are farther. One to be torn down in two years, One goes up for auction in July.

Edited by Heelster

• 3 weeks later...

I find it interesting that strangers like to take pictures of me, but many times my friends do not. I don't know if it's a conscious thing, but there is a dearth of pictures of me, certainly from the knees down. However, this one snuck in there somehow from last night's U.S. Independence Day party. I am standing with "Baby Benji," who does not really like to be called that anymore, now that he's 6.

fullsizeoutput_113c.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jeremy1986 said:

Cant see what heels those are :cheeky:

I'll  help you out. They are BCBG beaded wooden mules, model name Bonny. I've included a better photo (recycled from a previous post). 

We had a rather eclectic bunch over last night, ranging from a world class classical pianist with a doctorate degree to a heavily tattooed, rough-looking concrete finisher. A good time was had by all! It kind of gives me hope for American culture.

Nobody said anything about my clothing or shoes except for my shoe buddy and best friend, "Baby Benji's" mother, who, by the way, was also wearing shorts and heels.

IMG_8029.PNG

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 2

mlroseplant,

Then again you were the host of the party.  An unspoken rule is a party guest never criticizes the host who invited them there. I have hosted many get-togethers over the years for co-workers at my home and had up to 60 people one year. If anyone had judged me, my family, or my home I would have thrown them out. It has never happened.  THanks for giving them a place to spend the evening.Yes, I have had scores of people at my home with whom I didn't agree on some things. But we agreed to get together as fellow humans and share food and drink. It is amazing what can be enjoyed when people keep it simple. HappyinHeels

8 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I'll  help you out. They are BCBG beaded wooden mules, model name Bonny. I've included a better photo (recycled from a previous post). 

We had a rather eclectic bunch over last night, ranging from a world class classical pianist with a doctorate degree to a heavily tattooed, rough-looking concrete finisher. A good time was had by all! It kind of gives me hope for American culture.

Nobody said anything about my clothing or shoes except for my shoe buddy and best friend, "Baby Benji's" mother, who, by the way, was also wearing shorts and heels.

IMG_8029.PNG

Very nice!

So relaxed looking - and I love nude mules - they just work with everything. (only thing I'd do is remove the platform and they'd be perfect)

Keep up the good work!

I have just had an interesting conversation, or "chat" rather, with a 15 year old girl from Vietnam. She is the younger cousin of one of my dearest friends, who also lives in Vietnam. My friend introduced me to the young cousin because it seemed a good way for her to practice English with a native speaker. At the time, the cousin was 12 years old. Now she is 15, and will start high school within the next few weeks.

In Vietnam, they still use uniforms, as in many parts of the world. On Mondays, they are required to wear the aó dài, or "long shirt," which is a long dress cut on the bias with pants underneath, so iconic in Vietnam. I've often said that the reason this dress caught on in Vietnam is because it's the only dress you can comfortably ride a motorbike in!

This young girl was fretting over going to the tailor and having an aó dài made. Suddenly, she asked me, "Should I wear high heels?" I answered, "Of course you should wear high heels. But not too high, I'm thinking 4-5 cm for now." It then came out that she does actually own a pair of high heels already, purchased for a family member's wedding, and they hurt her feet badly. This started a long conversation about fit and how you can wear high heels comfortably, and eventually, why I knew so much about the subject. So I had to spill the beans.

She seemed surprised about my footwear proclivities at first--"I think things are more open in the U.S," but then became excited. "How can I wear 12 cm shoes like you? I think I will fall down!" I told her it took me about 4 years to become comfortable wearing 12 cm heels (sorry, I'm speaking "metric" for the sake of my non-U.S. friends--about 5 inches or so). I told her that she could do it too, someday, if she wanted. So tomorrow, she is going to the tailor to have her aó dài made, but first she wants to buy some 5 cm wedges, at my suggestion, to wear with it. I told her to make sure there was enough room for her toes, so she could wear them all day.

I feel honored to help my younger friends on their way toward figuring out who they are, I sure remember the angst of not knowing. Good luck to her!

• Like 2

On July 5, 2017 at 3:08 PM, mlroseplant said:

IMG_8029.PNG

too bad about your hair!

Forget the hair, I really like the sandals.  If I wasn't so tall I would wear those too.  Fortunately I do have a few pair of similar sandals with a lower heel.....  take care..  sf

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

8 hours ago, SF said:

Forget the hair, I really like the sandals.  If I wasn't so tall I would wear those too.  Fortunately I do have a few pair of similar sandals with a lower heel.....  take care..  sf

Another problem I don't have--being too tall! Luckily, I'm not really too worried about my "challenges," either vertically or follically. 

I have really come to like those mules. I'm glad someone else likes them too!

• Like 1

Mr Mlrose....   Ha ha....  Well....  Being tall ain't all it's cracked up to be....  At least you can probably find clothes that fit.  I usually can't get shirts with sleeves long enough, same with pants - long inseam is hard to find.  I have a deformed body - ha ha...  

The good part, given my height I have "tiny" (relative term), feet - I can wear a size 11, sometimes 12 gals sandal, which is fine with me....  

Enjoy your shortness, er - vertical challenge.     Smile....   sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

56 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Another problem I don't have--being too tall! Luckily, I'm not really too worried about my "challenges," either vertically or follically. 

I have really come to like those mules. I'm glad someone else likes them too!

I like them - - - - In fact, who makes them??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heelster said:

I like them - - - - In fact, who makes them??

I'll tell you what--I'll do you one better, and give you a little mini-review of them as well. They are BCBG, model Bonny. They are, like most of my shoes, a non-current model, and are only available sporadically on places like ebay. They are a classic "Candies" style wooden mule, only with a substantially higher heel than the Candies of yore, at just shy of 5 inches, or about 12 cm. This measurement does not include the footbed, which, being exposed, makes the heel appear even taller, at 5 1/4", or about 13 cm. But we have to compare apples to apples, and must measure our open-backed shoes in the same way that we measure our pumps and boots. The platform is right at 1 1/4", or about 3 cm. As you can see from the photo, the strap has patterned beading in a sort of Native American-esque style.

I've had these mules for quite a while. When I saw them a few years ago, I could not resist the "Candies" style, and the price was right. However, at the time, I was not brave enough to wear them out and about, especially with shorts. In fact, as I recall, my first test run with them was late at night, wearing these somewhat ridiculous looking flared jeans that came nearly to the floor with the heels on. I have since realized that those pants probably drew more attention than the actual shoes would have. It is only within the last year, nay, the last few months that I have actually worn them in a truly public setting. Now I wear them loud and proud, and I've had several women coo over them.

I wish the platform were a little thinner, but the thing I really don't like about the platform is that the toe curls up so much. When the shoe is at rest, the front of the shoe is a full inch off the floor. If it were half that, it would be perfect. Several other shoes I have of a similar basic style do not curl up nearly so much at the toes. Not only is this styling feature somewhat objectionable in my book, but it also makes them more difficult to wear, as my toes have to curl upwards right along with the footbed of the shoe. It's a small thing, but it's my main criticism.

Despite this, once I got used to the additional curling of the toes, they are a breeze to walk in, and have easily passed my "two mile" test. Which brings me to the other problem I have with these--durability. Like many high heeled shoes, it seems that the maker didn't actually take into account that somebody might actually walk in these. I've had this same problem to some extent or another with practically every mule of this style I've ever owned. Within a few short miles, things start coming unglued. I've managed to make these hold together so far, but I don't know that I'd wear them on an all-day shopping trip, for fear that they wouldn't make the end of the day in one piece. I may have to pull them apart someday to contact cement them down really well. Maybe that will solve the problem. I have a feeling, though, that it is just the nature of the shoe. All that pressure being put on a single strap, along with the sudden snap-back when the trailing foot is raised off the ground, particularly when walking aggressively, may be too much to ask for from a fashion sandal. I notice that I do not have the same problem with mules which have at least two wide straps to hold them on your foot. Unfortunately for me, I have a thing for the single strap design.

Anyway, if I ever see another pair of these in size 8.5, I will be tempted to buy them as a backup for when these eventually wear out. I hope you enjoyed this review.

IMG_8389.JPG

• Like 1

Great review.

I too like fewer straps on mules/sandals. And as I'm sure you'll know - you don't need all those straps if you're accustomed to heels.

I wonder if the tension on the single strap across the foot is exacerbated by the fact that the shoe platform doesn't flex, yet the foot does, and its that lack of flex that means that pull on the strap transfers into the glued join, and pulls out. Wihout a platform the shoe would likely flex the sole up a little?

It sounds like its that typical mule - sole slap point when you're on your toes and about to move to the next step - that little extra tension...

Its a shame when a favoured pair of shoes has a hard life and you can't easily remedy them. I've had this similar dilemna with other heels and I sympathise. Get some spare pairs so the style can endure !!

• Like 1