The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

That 3.8 will go a long ways! My neighbor bought a used Pontiac with the 3.8, with 175,000 miles on it with a bad transmission. He bought a used tranny out of a wrecking yard and drove the car for another 100,000 miles and sold it to a friend. It is still running down the road, but the body is in bad shape. Seems to me it has 375,000 miles on it now and minimal repairs have been done considering the miles. I know the intake has been changes, along with the coolant elbow, plus timing chain and gears were replaced to at some point. My neighbor is pretty handy so he did the repairs himself, probably wearing tennis shoes!

It is with a bit of a heavy heart that I am retiring one of my oldest pairs of sandals. I've had them almost exactly 4 years, and while they were not my first heeled sandals, they were the first pair that I had the confidence to wear out regularly, the first pair of heels I wore with skinny jeans (rather than boot cut), the first pair I wore with shorts. They are also the first pair of heels that I walked in for more than 5 miles continuously. They have never been to the cobbler for any reason, despite having over 100 recorded miles on them. I have never seen heels so durable. 

They are my Söfft Belecia strappy mules, with 3 1/2" heels and not really any platform, but just a thick padded sole. They are completely trashed after so much wear. My little toes now stick outside the straps after only a few dozen steps because the leather is so worn out (yuck! not a good look!).

But I have moved on. I just simply never wear heels that low any more. I feel like there is some sentimental value there, but not enough to take up space in my life. Goodbye, Belicias. It's been a good run. 

IMG_8050.JPG

Nice looking sandals, Sofft is a quality brand.....  Don't despair, there will be more!!!   Have fun, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

They are also the first pair of heels that I walked in for more than 5 miles continuously.  I have100 recorded miles on them.

Gee, seems like you ought to set them on a bookshelf with a little plaque over them.:penitent:

:wavey:

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Parting with such a faithful pair can be bitter sweet as you remember the fun times. But if you let your toe stick out you run the risk of getting it stuck out like that and that operation really sucks with 6 inch pins stuck through your toes and feet. I broke (smashed) mine. (I talked with a woman at Macy's one day while we where both trying on shoes and she had a baby toe with a mind of it own and she was complaining about have a hard time getting her toe into shoes

I just had two of my first 4" heels give up the this month (that's why I started the Mileage Topic). Today while shopping for another bookcase to hold my heels I came across a Charles by Charles David Apollo in my size, I got it to replace the Apollo that broke (still going to try to repair it with "glue"), only this new one is tan and the one I currently have is turquoise. The turquoise was a "fan favorite" with lots of compliments each time I wore them.

• Like 1

Mlroseplant,

You inspired me to get that same style (in brown), which I did (found it on Ebay) and I have enjoyed wearing them. I still have lots of distance left on them, so I'm not about to trash them any time soon. They are good quality shoes and fit me nicely. They are a fraction of an inch higher than I normally wear, so they are among the highest that I can wear comfortably. I'm in awe that you find them so low! Anyway, thanks again for the inspiration!

Steve

Sofft Belicia brown.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve63130 said:

Mlroseplant,

You inspired me to get that same style (in brown), which I did (found it on Ebay) and I have enjoyed wearing them. I still have lots of distance left on them, so I'm not about to trash them any time soon. They are good quality shoes and fit me nicely. They are a fraction of an inch higher than I normally wear, so they are among the highest that I can wear comfortably. I'm in awe that you find them so low! Anyway, thanks again for the inspiration!

Steve

Sofft Belicia brown.JPG

Haha, Steve, I really thought about tagging you in this post, but I knew you would catch on without a tag!

My son was graduated from high school yesterday. Although his mother has complained about my footwear in the past, fearing backlash from his peers, it has never happened, and it's over now anyway, so I didn't think twice about wearing my Michael Kors single band stiletto sandals (not mules, believe it or don't) that are light brown in front, fading to black in the back. They are quite high, but quite comfortable, as the front platform reduces the height difference to just over 4 inches.

That's a good thing, too, because it was quite a long walk from the nearest available parking spot to the field house, where the ceremony was held. On this long walk, I could hear some girls behind me continuously giggling, but it turns out that they were giggling about something completely unrelated to me. I'm sure that some of the thousands of people there noticed my shoes, but no one said anything, and no one acted inappropriately. In fact, I got way more attention when it came time to sing the National Anthem, people kept turning around to see where this booming, classically trained voice was coming from! Turns out it was this scrawny little guy wearing high heels.

I do not have any pictures to show you that show the shoes. When most people take pictures of such an event, they're not really concerned about showing my shoes, and this day was not about me in any case. My outfit wasn't a lot different than many other pictures I have posted on here before anyway.

mlroseplant,

Sounds like we have another Jim Cornelison (the Blackhawks singer) in our midst! Your son's graduation was a heel of a good time, right? Were those the same ones you were wearing in the driveway?  HappyinHeels

8 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

mlroseplant,

Sounds like we have another Jim Cornelison (the Blackhawks singer) in our midst! Your son's graduation was a heel of a good time, right? Were those the same ones you were wearing in the driveway?  HappyinHeels

There have been many pictures taken in my driveway, but what I wore was very similar to the first picture, only with different colors and different shoes (second picture).

IMG_8084.PNG

IMG_8083.JPG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

My son was graduated from high school yesterday.

I couldn't help noticing your phrasing here, mlroseplant.   You almost make it sound as though your son was calibrated (as with a thermometer) by his school! :giggle:   Although I am aware that, in the US at least, the concept of 'graduation' sometimes takes the historic transitive form (i.e. a college 'graduates' its students), it is now usual (and universal in the UK) to express the concept intransitively, i.e. that the student graduates.   The 'was' in your construction makes all the difference.

And when I see in your post in another topic: 'I was contacted by a young woman we know who has just graduated from college this month' it is clear that you 'swing both ways'!

Anyway, congratulations to your son - and to you for your very public heel wearing.   Detention excused.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Puffer said:

I couldn't help noticing your phrasing here, mlroseplant.   You almost make it sound as though your son was calibrated (as with a thermometer) by his school! :giggle:   Although I am aware that, in the US at least, the concept of 'graduation' sometimes takes the historic transitive form (i.e. a college 'graduates' its students), it is now usual (and universal in the UK) to express the concept intransitively, i.e. that the student graduates.   The 'was' in your construction makes all the difference.

And when I see in your post in another topic: 'I was contacted by a young woman we know who has just graduated from college this month' it is clear that you 'swing both ways'!

Anyway, congratulations to your son - and to you for your very public heel wearing.   Detention excused.

After reading your reply, I decided to do a little research into why I phrased the sentence like I did, and I guess I am showing my age. My present recollection has been refreshed, and I now remember being taught a long time ago that the transitive form was really the correct way of phrasing it--in other words the institution is the party doing the graduation. However, I see that this way of phrasing things has largely fallen out of fashion, much like wearing high heels on a regular basis. I stand (elevated by a few inches, as always) corrected!

• Like 1

That's cool, all my kids graduated the college a few years ago!!!  American English vs. British English, half the time I can't understand what's being said.....  ha ha   Have fun...  sf

9 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

After reading your reply, I decided to do a little research into why I phrased the sentence like I did, and I guess I am showing my age. My present recollection has been refreshed, and I now remember being taught a long time ago that the transitive form was really the correct way of phrasing it--in other words the institution is the party doing the graduation. However, I see that this way of phrasing things has largely fallen out of fashion, much like wearing high heels on a regular basis. I stand (elevated by a few inches, as always) corrected!

Yes, historically the transitive form was considered correct - the institution 'grades' the ability of its students.   But no longer the preferred phrasing - and certainly not in the UK.

8 hours ago, SF said:

That's cool, all my kids graduated the college a few years ago!!!  American English vs. British English, half the time I can't understand what's being said.....  ha ha   Have fun...  sf

Oh dear!   Saying that someone 'graduated the college' is never right in either British or American English; it must be 'graduated from the college' or (per mlroseplant) 'were graduated by the college'.   See me in my study after prayers for chastisement, SF.   

mlroseplant,

So what do the folks of the neighbourhood say about the the flashes of heel fashion in that part of Iowa?? Your style is definitely more edgy than a small town would expect but much appreciated by me anyway. :) Keep struttin' your stuff in the driveway!  HappyinHeels

3 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

mlroseplant,

So what do the folks of the neighbourhood say about the the flashes of heel fashion in that part of Iowa?? Your style is definitely more edgy than a small town would expect but much appreciated by me anyway. :) Keep struttin' your stuff in the driveway!  HappyinHeels

Actually, believe it or not, they accept me rather well! Of course, at my house, the real force to be reckoned with is my 8 year old son. He's a real glad-handed. A guy in high heels is a secondary consideration!

14 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Hello from Atlanta, GA! I was at a giant Asian supermarket and took the opportunity to get in a selfie, with help from a couple of cans on the shelf. 

IMG_8116.PNG

Cool! Were those shorts you wore in that picture?

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

On 6/3/2017 at 6:00 AM, JeffB said:

Cool! Were those shorts you wore in that picture?

Yes, they are the same shorts I wore in my "photobomb" a few posts back, in my flawed attempt at Korean style. I hope they came out rather better with an untucked short sleeved shirt. 

I had a wonderful time playing music this weekend with a bunch of very talented people! Plus, I got to wear heels all weekend!

Here are a couple of photos. The first is a quintet playing a Ralph Vaugh Williams piece I'd never even heard of before. It was really neat! The woman to my left playing violin is my sister. 

The second picture is my sister and me singing Bach (in German, no less!)

IMG_8153.PNG

IMG_8154.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

I had a wonderful time playing music this weekend with a bunch of very talented people! Plus, I got to wear heels all weekend!

That really looks like a lot of fun (not like the old codgers I get to play with who think my cello is a bass that got left out in the rain) and you got to do it in heels.  As @at9asked, what was the RVW piece?

:wavey:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

1 hour ago, at9 said:

What was the work by RVW? His Tallis Fantasia is one of my all time favourite pieces and I love a lot of his other works.

@Thighbootguy

We had an oboe playing the second violin part, because he was available right then, and another violin wasn't. It actually sounded pretty cool that way!

IMG_8126.JPG

Sis doesn't wear heels?????   Nice pictures....     Nice heels...   A guy who plays music AND works on cars!!!   Good show....    sf

Edited by SF

55 minutes ago, SF said:

Sis doesn't wear heels?????   Nice pictures....     Nice heels...   A guy who plays music AND works on cars!!!   Good show....    sf

Oh, no! Sis absolutely wears heels! But never for a casual occasion like this one. You see how everyone is dressed.  Besides, the venue was challenging, even to me. It was in the mountains of northern Georgia, and we were in several different buildings. I did quite a bit of walking, up and down stairs, and across hilly terrain, often carrying my instrument to get to my next appointment. It was not a place for an occasional heel wearer.