The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

I love the "Music Speaks" slogan on the wall.  Her 3" heels are a good blend of stylish and comfortable.  Maybe I'm just getting old but I wouldn't want to stand and conduct for an hour in 5" stilettos.

5 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

It was pointed out by a choir member that my shoes were noticeably higher. This was on the first day we met her, and neither the comment nor the fact that I was wearing fairly giant heels seemed to faze her a bit. As I get to know her better, I might have another shoe buddy!

You may indeed have a shoe and musical (does she know you play cello) buddy.  But if the goal was to faze her, try singing a quarter tone flat. :penitent:

:wavey:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Somebody who never wears heels. Like ever. Close friend of mine. Showed up in these at church today, with glowing reviews of comfort. I know, not much to tell, but I noticed right away, and she was surprised (I have no idea why), because she was going to show me if I didn't notice.

Choir director was wearing kitten heels, but not a repeat, and not flats! And a short skirt, too!

IMG_7517.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

Choir director was wearing kitten heels, but not a repeat, and not flats! And a short skirt, too!

I didn't think you were supposed to notice that at church. :penitent:  Must have been a dull sermon.

But thanks for sharing.  Does the choir director know you play cello?  I just saw a concert on TV of Bach and Kuhnau works and they featured shots of the first chair cello doing finger dancing.  Wow have I got a looong way to go.  I don't think I have that many years left.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

8 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

I didn't think you were supposed to notice that at church. :penitent:  Must have been a dull sermon.

But thanks for sharing.  Does the choir director know you play cello?  I just saw a concert on TV of Bach and Kuhnau works and they featured shots of the first chair cello doing finger dancing.  Wow have I got a looong way to go.  I don't think I have that many years left.

We're a relatively liberal bunch at our church. We must be, or I would probably have been excommunicated a long time ago!

Yes, she knows I play cello, I played cello with the choir the second Sunday she was here. My dad went up to say hello and meet her the first week she was here, and evidently, he must have bragged about me a little bit, because I was messaged shortly thereafter, and interrogated about what I can and cannot do. 

I don't mind admitting that I practiced the piece a whole lot more than I would have under the old choir director. I am newly inspired, both musically and fashion-wise. The choir is sounding noticeably better under her direction, and I'm not the only one who has observed this.

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

The choir is sounding noticeably better under her direction

And I'm sure that's good to hear. :cheeky:

10 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I don't mind admitting that I practiced the piece a whole lot more than I would have under the old choir director. I am newly inspired, both musically and fashion-wise.

Inspiration, both musically and fashion-wise is often found in the strangest places.  For me I never thought I'd find a fashion hero (@JeffB), a limit pushing hero (@CAT), and a cello hero all on the same web site.

Seriously, I'm glad you have found a safe place where your music and fashion interests intersect.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had occasion to visit my bank this past week. I bank at one of these small town, locally owned banks, and the dress code for bank tellers isn't what it was in my youth. It has gotten rather, shall we say, casual. However, on this occasion, I was served by a lady who looked really sharp. Instead of the typical ill-fitting "business casual" clothes that everyone else in the place was wearing, she wore a pencil skirt and a jacket. The skirt was considerably above the knee, but not super short. Luckily, my transaction required her to go to the vault, so I got to see her shoes. I expected to be disappointed, but I was not. She had little ankle booties on which had somewhere between 4 and 4 1/2 inch stiletto heels with a minimal platform. Also, she wore nail polish which was not chipped. I am not a huge fan of nail polish, but if you're going to wear it, it shouldn't be chipped, especially when you work a job where attention is drawn particularly to your hands. I wish the other tellers would take a hint from this lady. I cannot count the number of times I have been served by a female teller who needed to remove or re-do her nail polish a week ago. I am glad to see that there is somebody left in my town who pays attention to these little fashion details. I don't expect it to last, however. I expect she's new.

• Like 1

I finally got around to giving myself a pedicure last night. I have been extremely lazy this winter about the care of my feet. Actually, that's not true. I have been extremely lazy about the care of the appearance of my feet. I have actually been pretty faithful about doing exercises to actually strengthen my feet, and make them more flexible, in an attempt to minimize the foot pain from my job. However, with temperatures expected to finally rise into the 60s and 70s in the coming days, I am ready for sandals! Goal for later this week: Shave my legs. I haven't done that all winter, either. Just from the ankles down.

mlroseplant,

I'm gong to guess you're up and will be leaving for work in about an hour. A neighbor in Iowa! Me too but in only 30 minutes.

I do my toes and feet about every two weeks or so. I shave my entire legs every time in the shower. It makes the showers longer, about 14 minutes in total, but it is entirely worth it. Given your investment in shoes already (and maybe hosiery as well), I think you should just keep the whole thing shaved. Two cents from a neighbor. HappyinHeels   

On 4/4/2017 at 6:12 AM, HappyinHeels said:

mlroseplant,

I'm gong to guess you're up and will be leaving for work in about an hour. A neighbor in Iowa! Me too but in only 30 minutes.

I do my toes and feet about every two weeks or so. I shave my entire legs every time in the shower. It makes the showers longer, about 14 minutes in total, but it is entirely worth it. Given your investment in shoes already (and maybe hosiery as well), I think you should just keep the whole thing shaved. Two cents from a neighbor. HappyinHeels   

I view shaving my legs the same way I view keeping my nose hairs trimmed. I don't like the process at all, but it looks a lot better when I'm finished. However, my nose is exposed year-round. My legs are not. Therefore, I take no pleasure in shaving my legs for no reason in the winter. I do keep them shaved from a couple of inches above the ankle down, because people might actually see that area.

On a different subject, my geographical neighbor, I have a question for you. You say you often wear wedges, and often they are way above 5 inches. Where do you find such shoes? I've been looking for quite a while, and I can't seem to find any wedges above about 5 inches. I'm looking for something in the 6 inch range, just to try it.

mlroseplant,

Many 5+" wedges are from a few years ago when heels were higher. You can still find such shoes at  callitspring stores, stevemadden stores, dsw stores, charlotte russe stores, and rossdressforless stores,  and these websites; amiclubwear.com, justfab.com and others. heels.com also has these type of shoes. I once had a pair of 7" wedge heels made for me as a slingback via TOnySHoes.com

I forgot to mention these 7" wedges were made by TonyShoes in California via a special order made at my friend's shoes store, skyscraperheels, in Chicago. The bottom is pure cork and the cognac top is real leather. They cost me about $140 including tax in 2014. They are very comfortable!  HappyinHeels

• 2 weeks later...

Spring is here! I broke out the shorts for the first time this weekend. I wore my new Aldo slides with a 5 inch stiletto heel, 1 inch platform, which is a little bit more of a radical sandal than I've worn in the past with shorts. I like the look, but I must say, I'm not 100% comfortable with the look. This is getting into territory where a woman would get a lot of looks wearing the same outfit, and popping down to the supermarket to get some bread for my son's and my lunch tomorrow (plus some cat litter to soak up some oil we spilled in the garage while cleaning up today), I was given the  once-over by about 20% of the other customers there. Nobody said anything, though. This simply does not happen when I'm wearing long pants, even if they are skinny jeans. Of course, my 8 year old son was wearing a neon fushia shirt. We must have seemed quite the pair.  He is not shy, and he will talk quite plainly and intelligently to total strangers. This, in combination with my admittedly booming voice and friendly demeanor, must have surprised some people!

I think it's the shoes, mainly. Yesterday evening, I went out with my wife, my best male friend, and several kids to the local pizza buffet. I wore more conservative wedges, but shorter shorts, and I did not receive nearly the attention that I did at the supermarket tonight. Who knows?

IMG_7664.PNG

IMG_7665.PNG

IMG_7666.PNG

I like the sandals...  But for me the heel is a bit to high.  Summertime = sandal time....  

And my experience is similar to yours when wearing heels, no one seems to care or notice, but I do get an occasional compliment and that's always nice!!!  

Take care and have fun.....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

11 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I was given the  once-over by about 20% of the other customers there. Nobody said anything, though. This simply does not happen when I'm wearing long pants, even if they are skinny jeans.

It's the stitching on the pockets that got the attention. :penitent:  The heels look fine.

It summertime which means shorts and sandals.  Enjoy the weather and enjoy your sandals.  I wear 4 inch+ sandals all summer to work and every where with my shorts.

You really get the looks (gasps) when you pair shorts and a Hawaiian shirt with 4 inch calf high boots.  

• 3 weeks later...

My best friend (strictly platonic for more than 7 years, believe it or don't) and shoe buddy was very impressed with my new Aldo slides last night. This picture disguises the fact that she's 3 sizes smaller than me. Happy 42nd birthday to her tomorrow!

IMG_7757.JPG

• Like 1

It's good to have a shoe buddy !!!!   I like the sandals too....    have fun, sf

BTW Mlroseplant, I was driving thru Iowa last week - heading for MN from Council Bluffs - did not see you, but I was looking !!!!! ha ha take care..

Edited by SF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SF said:

It's good to have a shoe buddy !!!!   I like the sandals too....    have fun, sf

BTW Mlroseplant, I was driving thru Iowa last week - heading for MN from Council Bluffs - did not see you, but I was looking !!!!! ha ha take care..

What??? You're in Iowa and Minnesota? Ohio is just another day's drive! C'mon over and visit!

Steve

3 hours ago, SF said:

Being as I'm the Des Moines area, I'm not at all surprised that you didn't see me! About 125 miles too far to the west. Catch you next time!

Mlroseplant...  OK, but I did stop at Hawkeye Point, the highest point in Iowa, very impressive!!!!  Could hardly tell I was on a mountain top!  ha ha   

See ya in Des Moines someday....   sf

Steve,  I thought about it !!!!   sf

Edited by SF
operator error

I had one of those rare experiences yesterday where I wish I would have worn lower heels. That hardly ever happens. Usually I've worn flats and wish I had worn heels, but in this case, I pushed the envelope a little too much. For some reason, I have the urge to go steeper lately.  Not higher, but steeper. I thought I was happy where I'm at, but suddenly I want to overcome another physical challenge. Right now, the steepest I can comfortably wear for long periods is in the neighborhood of 4.25 - 4.5" heel/toe height difference. This is usually expressed with a 5.5" heel, 1" platform. However, I have a couple of shoes with steeper angles, and I'd like to be able to wear them.

I selected the Vera Wang loafers shown at the bottom, can't  remember the model name at the moment. I love the look of them. Alas, they have a 5.25" heel, and not much of a platform, 1/2" at the most. I can sort of walk in them, if I'm not in a big hurry. Unfortunately for me, my duties at church yesterday lasted for about 5 hours. I was filling in for musicians who are on vacation, so I had to attend 3 different services, standing much of the time. I don't mind telling you that I should have picked different shoes. By the time it was over, I felt super clumsy, and I was ready to get out of those shoes! I need more gradual practice.

On the other hand, I had a similar experience with some giant (to me) platform pumps from Nine West. I couldn't wear them for more than a couple hours before. Now they are about my favorite closed-toe shoe. I can wear them however long I need to now. So I just need to be patient. My goal is to be able to wear 5 inch, no platform easily. On US women size 9.

IMG_5995.jpg

IMG_5996.PNG

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

I can sort of walk in them, if I'm not in a big hurry.

Those are nice looking shoes, but your statement is not a ringing endorsement.  Just be glad that your performance was only standing and not part of a marching band.:penitent:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

Those are nice looking shoes, but your statement is not a ringing endorsement.  Just be glad that your performance was only standing and not part of a marching band.:penitent:

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with the shoes, it's just that I can't walk in them for sustained periods of time as gracefully (or as quickly) as I am wont to do in less ambitious shoes. I just don't have the ankle flexibility and endurance to wear these heels for more than an hour or two. 

At the end of the last service, my trumpet case was locked in the choir room, and I had to get our new choir director, who was wearing mid-heeled sandals, to let me in to retrieve it. I felt relatively clumsy walking next to her and her smooth natural gait, especially when we had to go down a long flight of stairs. 

I'll get there eventually, but I just wanted to admit and share that maybe I have gotten a bit too cocky. Lesson learned. At least nothing bad happened. 

Yep, sometimes it's best to take baby steps. It will take longer to reach your goal, but you'll be more confident and comfortable in getting there. I've had shoes that I could not wear at all in their new condition, but after 20-30 years, they fit pretty well! LOL

Steve

Beautiful shoes. It's funny how you forget how long it took you to find your balance at different heights. With shoes that steep you need to take small steps, there no such thing as "in a big hurry."

Edited by Cali

On 2/26/2017 at 11:26 AM, mlroseplant said:

A random woman approached me fairly early in the evening and told me that she loved my shoes. She said it twice. I smiled and thanked her, and she went back to her table. Another random woman, several minutes later, who was wearing black Ugg boots with a Harley-Davidson logo embroidered on them, accosted me. She went on and on about how in the hell could I walk in those. I ran into her again later on, and she started in again, pulling nearby people into the conversation. She then asked me what size I wore, and I told her Size 9. So then she wanted to try on my shoes. I said, "Well.  .  . um.  .  . OK, why not?" She could barely manage to stand in them, and was unable to straighten her knees, so that lasted about 30 seconds, and I got my shoes back. Several more minutes of "How can you possibly like those shoes? My feet are still hurting from that 30 seconds.  .  ."

I know this is late to the game but I wanted to highlight this event.

I've had similar experiences where a woman will go on and on about how you can walk in shoes that tall, then when they find out they have a similar foot size (I'm a size 10) they all of a sudden want to try your shoes on.  It just makes me laugh.

By the way, I have asked a woman if I could try her shoes on as well and she let me. It goes both ways.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

Workin' on the car. I HATE working on the car, but I can't see paying $1,500 in labor costs, when I'm perfectly qualified to do it myself. If I were a rich man....photos by my 8 year old son, who is a pretty good mechanic already. He still loves it. 

IMG_7817.JPG

IMG_7820.JPG