The High Heeled Ruminations Of Melrose Plant

mlroseplant

I am unsure of your background but I don't agree about the history, at least as far as the UK is concerned.   The low stilettos that were available from the late 50s to mid 60s (when Twiggy etc took over) were certainly known as 'kitten heels' - and I never heard the title 'jet heels', certainly not in London or the South East.   The derivation of 'kitten heels' is debatable; it is likely because they were intended for youngsters/novices - training heels as you suggest.   But the term has also be linked to the less brash 'sex kitten' starlets - think Audrey Hepburn rather than Diana Dors - who generally adopted the inncocent schoolgirl look.   Twiggy and her contemporaries were effectively the later sex kittens, and their shoes with low square heels and square toes were girly but undemanding and somewhat frumpy.

I obtained the term from the long gone Aldens Catalog.  That was the term used to describe the "mini stiletto heel" in 1963 through about 1968.  It was used to describe the "training heels" for kids and also for the ladies size.  Maybe the term "jet heel" was unique to the Aldens Catalog.  Oh how I looked forward to the arrival of the Spring/Summer volumn each year.  Maybe it was a unique term only to the US.  Anyway, they caught my attention and imagination as to what it must be like to wear such interesting forbidden footware.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I just had the most interesting conversation with a gal pal of mine. And no, not "gal pal" in the sense of w6ish, haha. We had not talked in quite some time, so we caught up on family news, then I asked her if she wanted to see my new shoes, and she immediately answered in the affirmative. I showed her these pictures, posted previously in post No. 28 of this thread. She got terribly excited and replied, "I love them! Where can I get a pair?" We talked about shoes and fashion for quite a while longer, then I changed the subject, not wanting to seem a crushing bore. I must say, however, that she is the only person I know who would say that those shoes look quite comfy. They are, believe it or not.

It is nice to have a few friends who can get beyond the "I wonder why the hell he does that?" stage, and be able to talk about shoes and fashion in a completely natural manner. So if anyone knows where a person can purchase these Charles David slingbacks (model name unknown) or something similar in a size 5 1/2 or 6, my friend would be thrilled.

post-19325-0-46968700-1439732114_thumb.j

post-19325-0-59159400-1439732140_thumb.j

Mlroseplant,

I suggest you write to Charles David Shoes (customerservice@shopcharlesdavid.com), show them the photo of the shoe, and ask them if they could please identify the model and when it was sold. If it's recent, you still might find it new on 6pm.com or zappos or other online shoe places. If it's 2 or 3 years old, Ebay is about your best hope. But if you knew the model name, it would be easier to search for it.

Steve

Yesterday got even better! After discussing shoes in the morning with my gal pal, I wore said high stiletto slingbacks to church, where I received a compliment from a more or less total stranger.

Later on in the day, I went to a child's birthday party. I did not wear the slingbacks because I wasn't sure how much walking on grass I'd have to do. After I'd been there a while, I heard the very wonderful sound of stiletto heels behind me. I turned around, and it was my friend I'd been talking with that morning. I had not expected her to attend this party, so it was a nice surprise. She was also wearing her favorite combo, high heels with shorts, a look I really like on her. A very nice day, indeed! Here are a couple of pictures.

post-19325-0-13094000-1439834638_thumb.j

post-19325-0-64764300-1439834650_thumb.j

Sounds like a fun day.  Nice shoes too, both yours and hers!!  It's good to have an understanding "gal pal."  

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 2 weeks later...

So, we are at the local amusement park today. I thought about wearing something more spectacular, but I know I can trust these Söfft Belicias to not bite me in the butt (or in the feet) during all-day wearing and walking. At around 3.5 inches, I've still got the highest heels in the park so far. Actually, the only heels. Time will tell. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

As it turns out, I was the only person in heels today at the park.  There was one woman in kitten heel pumps. I mean maybe these were 2 inches, but I doubt it. They were probably about 1 1/2 inches. There were a couple of women in very mild wedges--I guess you might call them flatforms--less than 2 inches and certainly at most a 1 inch rise.

I got a few stares, but nothing really notable. However, my wife caught this lady taking pictures of me. I didn't notice it, but I decided to take a picture of her. From the expression on her face, I'd say she was irritated at being caught red-handed. 

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been photographed (candidly) a few times as well, very low class and annoying.  The times I do notice, I make it a point to let the person know I am aware of their antics, and like you did mlroseplant, take a pic of them !!  

Take care, sf....

I love it ! the flip-flopped, tennis-shoed masses that don't give a **** about how they appear; then out comes the smartphone as soon as anything creative shows up ! I have witnessed this scenario a few times . Awesome post, and thank you so much for sharing !

Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it....oh!

The subject came up in another thread about our professions. I am an electrician (the industrial variety, not the residential), and I'm currently working on a pretty good-sized job. There are 300+ electricians on the project, so I get to meet people from all over the country. It is difficult for me to keep a low profile, because somehow I have managed to get the job of leading morning stretch-and-flex. Therefore, pretty much everybody knows who I am, at least by sight.

As it turns out, I am known for three things: My loud voice, my shiny boots (Doc Martens with 2 1/4" heels), and my relatively tiny t-shirts. I definitely push the 4" sleeve rule with women's t-shirts. However, my name has yet to appear on the port-a-potty walls, which is a good indication that people like me, or at least don't dislike me.

There are a select few people on the jobsite who are aware of my unusual fashion choices outside of work.

Mlroseplant,

Excuse me but you've posted that post and photo in the wrong forum. You need to go to FlatHeelPlace.org and post them there. This forum is about high heels.

LOL

Steve

Yeah, then I tried to make up for it by wearing these bad boys out to dinner and shopping. I wouldn't say it was a mistake, but I was definitely ready to take them off when I got home. The problem was that there was way too much standing going on, and not enough walking or sitting. Ah well, it gives me another goal to work toward. 

image.jpg

Mlroseplant....  OK, you proved it, guys shoes are ugly!!!  Glad you went back to the pumps  - BTW, nice looking shoes!!!!

Take care, sf

PS when you went to testify, did the folks there ask you why you weren't in heels??  That would have benn funny.   c ya. 

mlroseplant.

Holy gigwatt!!  Those pumps are amazing and with skinny jeans no less. Whatever reservations or inhibitions you had in the past, if we are to believe you wore these later on in the same town, then we should also conclude you have exorcised any remaining demons. Way to go man!! That height is like I wear but even I haven't wore heels that obvious unless I was in a large city or it was an occasion of some sort. Those heels definitely jolt the streetscape which is exactly what you intended.  HappyinHeels

Ok, you've redeemed yourself!:cheeky: Nice pumps! Are they difficult to walk in with the heel so far back?

Steve

I am not convinced that the heel set further back like this necessarily in and of itself makes it harder to walk. Walking in these is really no problem. It's the standing for an extended period of time that becomes rather uncomfortable. I think there are other factors that affect the walkability of a shoe more than the exact placement of the heel under the foot.

Mlroseplant....  OK, you proved it, guys shoes are ugly!!!  Glad you went back to the pumps  - BTW, nice looking shoes!!!!

Take care, sf

PS when you went to testify, did the folks there ask you why you weren't in heels??  That would have benn funny.   c ya. 

It was not beyond the realm of possibility that someone might have asked why I wasn't wearing heels, but in this case, no one I saw really knew me.

mlroseplant.

Holy gigwatt!!  Those pumps are amazing and with skinny jeans no less. Whatever reservations or inhibitions you had in the past, if we are to believe you wore these later on in the same town, then we should also conclude you have exorcised any remaining demons. Way to go man!! That height is like I wear but even I haven't wore heels that obvious unless I was in a large city or it was an occasion of some sort. Those heels definitely jolt the streetscape which is exactly what you intended.  HappyinHeels

To be very honest, I have led you down the path of deception, ever-so-slightly. I did wear those shoes out the other night, but I wore them with bootcut jeans, rather than the straight-leg jeans you see in the picture. It was handy to use an old photograph to show the shoes, which I will make an effort to put into my rotation more often.

• 2 months later...

I see that I have had no ruminations for over two months. I have been working a lot, but I have been heeling faithfully when not at work.

I very recently had an instant message conversation with my 28 year old niece. I have reproduced the portion which is relevant to this forum. See the attachment, and know that attitudes can be changed, one person at a time. This is the same person who, less than 2 years ago, said that heels were for girls only. Now she wants to be like me! Hahahaha! Seriously, it does feel good to be affirmed like that. Enjoy!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, that's good progress, Mlroseplant! Thanks for sharing. People who like us often have trouble getting their heads around the fact that we have a preference for alternative footwear. Eventually some of them finally get it and figure out that it's only shoes. Good victory!

Steve

On November 30, 2015 at 12:04:16, jerbare said:

I really like those heels but in the Dakotas we are getting more snow it would be hard to push the snowblower in 6" heels 

Haha, that's why I have some 5" boots for that purpose. 

I have been inspired by a thread elsewhere in this forum to make a report. I went to the dentist yesterday, as I do every six months, for a regular cleaning. I have gone to this dentist for.  .  . oh, I bet it's been the better part of 20 years. I had seen the same dental hygienist for about 17 of those 20 years, but had recently switched to a different one. Yesterday, for some reason, I had the former hygienist, and it was a kind of glorious reunion. But that's not really relevant to this forum.

Soon into the examination/cleaning, heck even before the x-rays were finished, she commented, "Wow, how can you even walk in those heels? I couldn't do it!" Then, quite naturally, we began to have a conversation about how it is that I, an otherwise pretty normal, straight male, came to wear high heels every day. She seemed quite accepting of it by her replies, facial expressions, and body language. She admitted that she never wore heels because she thinks she is too tall. I think that maybe I convinced her to change that attitude. I think we all love to see a tall woman in heels.

Like I've said before, I think we can change the world, one person at a time. Keep the faith, my brothers!

• Like 1