Heels For Hearts Challenge 2016

This challenge will take place next year and will involve me wearing high heels for a long duration much like when I wore a pair of 4'' Mary Janes for October 2014. 

As I am writing this topic my Wife, Wendy is currently in hospital where she has been battling E-Coli and endocarditus.  She has now been in hospital for 7 weeks.  Just 6 weeks ago she was given just 24 hours to live.

The staff have been absolutely fantastic.  I have therefore decided to wear high heels for at least 8 hours per day for every day she has been in hospital to raise much needed money for the British Heart Foundation.  She has currently been in hospital for 7 weeks and she is expected to remain in hospital for at least another 1.5 to 2 weeks.

I have decided on a choice from 2 differewnt pairs of heels.

One has a 4 inch stiletto heel with a half inch platform and the other has a 3 inch stileeto heel with no platform.  Each shoe has its advantages and disadvantages.  One advantage of both shoes is that they are wide fitting which is essential for every day use. 

The shoes are

PLEASER CONTESSA 50X.  This shoe has a 4 inch heel with a thin 1/2 inch platform meaning it will soak up any imperfections that I happen to stand on.  It is a Mary Jane style with a slightly thinner looking ankle strap than my choice below that will give ankle support.  On the other hand there is no side openings to allow air to circulate round my feet and the strap will be a little weaker.  It will also be a little more challenging to walk in due to the extra half inch difference between heel height and platform height although this does not worry me.  The heel tip will also need to be replaced with a steel tip so it will last longer.

PLEASER DIVINE 415W.  This shoe has a 3 inch heel and no platform meaning it will be a little easier to walk in than my other option.  It is a d'orsay style with T bar which will allow air to circulate around my feet and give ankle support.  The ankle strap also looks a little wider meaning it will be stronger.  On the other hand the sole is thin so I will feel every little bump and stone I stand on.  The heel tip will also need to be replaced with a steel tip so it will last longer.

I feel as if I can comfortably walk in both pairs despite the extra 1/2 inch on the Mary Jane heel.  It's hard to say which shoe to pick as I intend to start the challenge at the beginning of August.  As a stand in pair of heels I am going to use the 4 inch Mary Janes that I used for my October 2014 challenge.  I am wearing the stand in heels in my avatar.  As these are very generous in fit I am considering dropping down to a size UK9.  I will be wearing them barefooted or with stockings and possibly thin sports socks.

I would of loved to wear sandals but there were no wide fitting sandals available to pick from.

What I do know for sure is that my back will be pain free at the end of the challenge. 

Here is a picture of the 2 shoes in question.  Which one do you think I should wear.  I'm not really fussed on styling.  Funtion is more important than looks.

post-3576-0-93651900-1434210268_thumb.jp

I really like the T-Bar heels as they will allow my feet to breathe.  i think both will fit as well as each other and offer as much support as each other.  I have a pair of size UK10 mary janes similar to above with a 4 inch block heel and platforms that i will be using as a stand in emergency pair.  i found them very comfortable and easy to walk in and support was great.  What i did find is that they were a very generous fit compared to a normal size 10 from the same manufacturrer (pleaser).

The photo below shows how generous fitting they are.  its for this reason i will be getting a size smaller

post-3576-0-05496800-1434313148_thumb.jp

Hats of to you krazykev, but I think if it was me I would go for the t bar style in red with a white foot covering, not something I would normally do but I could be tempted.

life is not a rehearsal

Hats of to you krazykev, but I think if it was me I would go for the t bar style in red with a white foot covering, not something I would normally do but I could be tempted.

i would also chose red.  they do the style in red but its a 4 inch heel and its also a normal fit and not wide fitting which is very important.  it seems as if they are only available in black which is a shame.

Pleaser actually make the T-Bar shoe in 3 heel heights but the 3 inch heel is the only wide fitting shoe and also only in black.

The 4 inch heel would be challenging to wear every day for 8 hours a day but the 6 inch would live up to their name of killer heels.  Even the 3 inch will let me know their presence after a couplee of months wearing them for 8 hours per day.

post-3576-0-01274700-1434483825_thumb.jp

krazykev64,

Glad to hear that your wife has overcome her challenges and should be let out soon!  I wish her a speedy and complete recovery.

vector

Thanks mate

Where abouts are you from kev? As I'll help do a day fun raising in the six inch ones with you :)

Im from Swansea in South Wales. UK

I have decided that as i will be wearing my chosen heels for around 10 weeks that i will wear the T bar Pleaser Devine 415 heels.  i will be starting at the beginning of August 2016 continuing into October.

August can sometimes be very hot weather but October starts to get a lot cooler.

Advantages of my chosen style are

1/  will allow my feet to breathe

2/  good ankle support

3/  lighter weight

4/  slightly thicker strap

i will of course need to change the plastic heel tips for steel tips so they will last (hopefully)

post-3576-0-74012100-1434929609_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

The actual length of the challenge has still not been confirmed.  my wife is still in hospital due to complications.  it has now been 10 weeks and a day.  i think she will be in for another week maybe two weeks.  i can see the challenge lasting 3 months which means i will be wearing heels for august, september as well as october next year.  also in november i will be wearing my 6 inch sandals to raise money for Children in need.

to be honest im really looking forward to doing the challenge.  three months is a long time to wear a pair of heels day in day out, even if they are only 3 inch high.  the challenge will not only test me but the durability of the heels. 

Anyway this year is not over yet.  its just under 7 weeks until i do my half marathon in my 4 inch mary janes.  To make this challenge even harder its possible that there could be a heatwave with temperatures of over 100 fahrenheit. 

• 1 month later...

My wifes health has taken a turn for the worse and she is still in hospital fighting for her life due to complications.

it is now 18 weeks since she was admitted to hospital.

i was going to limit the challenge to 100 days but due to the change in circumstances i will wear heels for every day that my wife is in hospital.

my wife was admitted to hospital on 27th April so this is the day i will start my challenge and it will end on the date my wife is discharged

or passes away.  It really is that serious.

The shoes have been ordered and they should arrive in a few days time.  it is bank holiday so there is a slight delay.

i have ordered a pair of Pleaser Divine 415W T-Bar shoes which are wide fitting so should be fairly comfy for every day use.

if for any reason they need to be repaired i still have the 4 inch Mary Janes that i used for my 2014 and 2015 challenges.

I will be wearing both shoes with a combination of either sports socks, pop socks or bare footed. 

My main problem will be hot sweaty feet which is the main reason i chose the T-Bar style.

during the challenge i will be doing a minimum of four street collections to raise money.

all funds raised will be donated to Ty Olwen

http://www.tyolwen.org/

as well as the Cardiac unit of Morriston hospital in swansea (UK)

The challenge will be extremely demanding and emotional but its my way of saying a huge thank you

to all staff that have looked after my wife during the last few months. 

post-3576-0-78737200-1440968065_thumb.jp

Very sorry to hear that your wife's health has taken a bad turn. I wish you two the best :(

Thanks.  that means so much to me.  i did have a bit of news today and it made me cry. 

im going to be an uncle.  my youngest brother is going to be a father.

the last 9 months of my life has been hell.  just bad news followed by more bad news.

worst is yet to come

Sadly since my last post my wife wendy has passed away after spending 132 days in hospital.  132 days will be the duration that i will be wearing my heels.  i will be wearing them for at least 8 hours per day every single day for 132 days.  like my Month in heels challenge in 2014 i expect my back will benefit

i now have to pick myself up and get on with life as best as i can.

I have now set up my justgiving donations page as well as a facebook page.  these can be viewed at

https://www.justgiving.com/heelinghearts

You can follow my progress on here and also my facebook page at

https://www.facebook.com/heelinghearts2016

Well my new heels arrived today.  they are a pair of pleaser divine 415 wide fitting T-bar 3'' stiletto heels in black as previously mentioned.

i am well happy with them.  they are a perfect fit and extremely comfortable.  they are also easy to walk in and have a flexible sole.  If only i could find a pair of peeptoe boots this good for everyday regular use i would be well happy.

anyway here i am in my heels

BARE 2.JPG

BARE 1.JPG

POP SOCKS 1.JPG

POP SOCKS 2.JPG

SOCKS 1.JPG

SOCKS 2.JPG

Thanks so much for the kind words.

i laid my wife to rest on friday.  im missing her like mad.

what i need to do now is think of the challenge for next year and how she would of offered me her support just like she has since my first high heel challenge back in august 2009.  today i have been testing the heels in the house.  i have been wearing them for around 5 hours with no socks.  so far they have been very comfortable although my feet feel a little sweaty.  tomorrow i will try them with some sports socks or pop socks. 

the shoes are lovely to walk in.  this is my first pair of heels which have flex in the soles.  all previous pairs have been platform heels with no flex.  they are lovely to wear.  to be honest im really looking forward to wearing them for the four months (132 days).

i will of course in the meantime have to get the heel tips changed for steel tips.  at least people will hear me coming.  i also want to design a tee-shirt logo so people know why im walking round in a pair of high heels.

i will also in the future need to organise street collection permits for the four collections i want to do in the centre of swansea (UK).  I am hoping to be able to do a collection on 29th July which was my wifes birthday and also on 16th August which is our anniversary.  i also want a day in May and September

• 2 months later...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your wife.  I'm a late commer to this story and though I did not get to follow it I was rooting for her recovery.  I hope that time will take the edge off the sorrow you must be feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

krazykev64,

I've been away from the board for a while and am surprised and very saddened to hear about your wife. I wish you and your family and friends strength and peace during these troubles times.

Take care,

vector

You may want to look into womens sheer or opaque claf length nylons.  They are very airy and seem to wick the sweat away leaving your feet dry.  I hope everything works out for you and you get to have the collections.  Keep me posted ok?

• 6 months later...

There has been a big change of plan regarding this challenge.  recently i have lost my mother to cancer and have therefore postponed the event to a later date.

in its place will be a different challenge involving a pair of 7 inch stiletto heels.  the challenge is called ''Heels for Mum'' and will take place on the 27 aug 2016