Responses From Sales Associates

Romulus

I have NEVER been refused or turned down - ever.  Many times the sales associates stay with me while I try on shoes, and offer recommendations on fit, or suggest other styles.  Other times the sales folks just leave me be, to browse on my own.  Either way, the experiences have been pleasant...

What have been your experiences Mr Romulus???   

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I have never had a clerk turn down a potential sale.  Both at Payless and DSW, clerks have offered to help and suggested shoes to try.

Did you try your new boots on in the store?  New Boots

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Never had a problem. Properly trained and compensated sales associates are interested in helping customers buy shoes. Gender makes no difference. If you have a problem, talk to the store manager.

Steve

I have NEVER been refused or turned down - ever. Many times the sales associates stay with me while I try on shoes, and offer recommendations on fit, or suggest other styles. Other times the sales folks just leave me be, to browse on my own. Either way, the experiences have been pleasant...

What have been your experiences Mr Romulus???

I have with only two times had nothing but positive attitude and help from the SA's

I have never had a clerk turn down a potential sale. Both at Payless and DSW, clerks have offered to help and suggested shoes to try.

Did you try your new boots on in the store? New Boots

No I didn't try these on before purchase I got them on eBay. However I have another style of Frye boots and they fit like a dream

Romulus,

I would echo what SF, Steve63130, DProud2700, TBG, et al have said here. Not only have I never had a bad experience rather I had a very good experience when clearly letting any such associate know I am shopping for myself. I have had the best of all experiences when actually wearing heels which is what I do more often than not now and not just to the shoe store. Most associates worth their salt will make the customer as comfortable as possible.

Glad to hear that Happyinheels. Some of my best experiences have been at Dillard's, Nine West, and Macy's for large department stores. There is a small shop in my city that sells shoes that were used in runway shows and other types of advertismet photo shoots. The lady that owns it is very nice to me every time I visit their store. I have scored some great deals on top name brands. I sometimes get confused looks when trying on heels but I think it is just a shock value for them. Most of the time it's just a look and they are back to their own thing.

I've never had a problem trying on heels in a store. Most sales clerks are Ok with me, trying on heels or any other form of women's shoes, in their store. Even men clerks in Macy's have been OK with that.

So guys the bottom line is just go about your business, trying on heels. Sales clerks are there to sell shoes , not to make judgements.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Since I wear a size 12W I am a little limited on the number of stores that carry my size.  Typically, if I want to try on shoes I have to go to Payless or Torrid.  Occasionally I can find a lingerie store or the like that keeps some size 12 stock too.

I have had fantastic experiences shopping openly for myself at both Payless and Torrid.  I have had sales assistants that enjoy chatting and commenting on the shoes that I am trying on and I find that to be the most fun.  Really chatting about whatever and then, "Oh yeah, I really like those," or, "I like the nude suede pumps better," and then back to chatting about classes they are taking at the university.  It really makes the buying experience fun and, for lack of better term, seem normal.

One of the last purchases that I made in Phoenix before I moved to CA was at a place called Lingerie Super Store in Mesa.  The gal there made it a point to find whatever size 12s and 13s she had.  She chatted a lot about high heels and really set out to make me feel like the most important customer in the store.  If they work off commission then it paid off for her as I bought the shoes.

That is $0.02 worth on this topic.

Best,

Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I have requested to try them on in a changing room and been refused because it was a women's clothes and shoe shop, there was no way I was going to try on thigh boots in public! Generally the sales persons are good , I do try and avoid sales men as I think women are more approachable and open minded . I did however have 2 good experiences at louboutin concession in Harvey Nichols , Manchester. Both were gents, so no real stereo type is possible!

I'm going to sing the praises of Torrid and Payless too. Never had an issue in either. Last time I was in a Torrid store the staff were wonderful and helpful, brought different sizes to the changing room when the one I'd selected was waay too big. 

I always think stores are safe places to go. Most staff aren't going to have a bad attitude because a sale is a sale, whether it's to a man or woman. 

The first time I shopped in a store for heels, I was a little nervous, no surprise. The SA, much younger than I, was very friendly and courteous. Suggested I try on a particular pair, then, sensing my nervousness, smiled and commented, "this is not the first time I've had a guy trying on and buying heels. Go for it!"

Regards, Logjam

I have requested to try them on in a changing room and been refused because it was a women's clothes and shoe shop, there was no way I was going to try on thigh boots in public!

1. You found a store that had thigh boots in your size... WOW

2. Too bad they missed the sale and a returning customer.. They should have found a way to accommodate your needs.

3.  Why not try them on in the store?  Assuming you weren't out on the sidewalk and planning a grand walkabout, being in a store isn't really like wearing them in public.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

What do you expect from walmart.

Go to sleep stores where the sales people make commission. When it comes to money they don't care if a horse tries on shoes.

Find a nice older lady and just be up front. Ask for a shoe in your size and just yes they are for me.

When I was still pretty scared about it I asked this young girl if I could try them on in back. She said yes. She was gone of goth looking so I figured she was probably open to it.

Now I have 2 favorite ladies at dillards and even on young black chick that I will deal with. I did not say anything to the young girl but she new. Now I will say hi to her but I have my regular ladies. I have paid them well.

I know what you mean there Heels2U. I have the same situation at my local Dillard's. It is an awesome feeling to be helped like that. I worked at Dillard's for a short time in the ladies shoe dept., and was instructed to cater to all. We had an 11/12 wall where most of those sizes were kept. Once you have purchased from them they won't forget you. If you want to up your game tell your favorite SA you would like to be on the "list" that way you will be notified when things that you are interested in come in your size . Also they are able to order from the whse. and ship the your door.

You will find that those SA's will work for you they want the sale. If you aren't treated well just go buy three pair of high end shoes from one of the other SA's walk past and hold them up and say "Huge mistake. I'll bet that one will remember you when you are back in the store.

There have been a couple of times where the SA failed to greet me at Payless and then saw me looking in the womens area and then ignored me the second time.  When the SA greets and asks what I am shoping to purchase, I always tell them I am looking for a pair of women's heels for Halloween costume or for a fund raiser walk.  Most usuall ask what size men's shoe I wear and most have a clue about the 2 size up.  Some take me to the area and make suggestions to "there they are."  I ask if it is ok to try them on for fit and have never been denied.  I had one SA explain and demonstrate what she had learned in a modeling class on how to walk in heels - that was one of the best experiences as she was very thorough.  My worst occured over the phone when a male voice answered the phone and I enquired on the availability of a size 13 hidden wedge sneaker about a year ago. 
I was told it was unavailable and the phone was hung-up; I stopped in and made the purchase.  I agree that the female SA's are more fun when there is conversation about need, fit, and wearing with most saying they cannot wear them. 

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I usually go to stores where they have their stock in the store itself and you can find and try them on by yourself. I have been to other stores but in general they are the fancier stores and are a lot more expensive or only carry the smaller sizes. Thus far I've only had good experiences. In general store personnel just leave me be (as they do to others) and only ask if I need help, and if it's not needed say they will be available if I do.

Most sales associates act professional and helpful but there where some standouts over the years. One of my best experiences was in an Xtrastar store. I tried on a pair of boots I liked and went to the cash register to pay. The girl behind the counter told me they are currently having a sale and any second pair is for free so she adviced me to have another look around, so I did. After a minute or two she came over and started suggesting heels I could get. She had fun with it and together we found a second pair.

Another time I was shopping in Germany at Deichmann. In Germany they always try to sell you insoles and shoepolish with the shoes. So one of the two girls behind the counter started her sales pitch with, these are probably for your 'misses' so.. fairly quickly I said no. Then she asked, they are for yourself? I told her yes, the both of them looked a little surprised. But she continued her salespitch right away like they always do. Wasn't interested so I paid, they wished my a god day and hoped I'd enjoy them and I was on my way.

It has also happend they thought Inwas kidding. Just found a nice pair of heels at a New Look in the Netherlands. I went to the cash register to purchase them. The sales lady did her thing and then she asked in an "I'm joking" kinds way, shoes for the weekend? I replied "not just for the weekend" in a serious manner but she didn't believe me. :P made me and my friend grin.

And the last one for now. I wanted to purchase two pairs of heels at a Dutch Deichmann (van Haren). Handed over the shoes and one of the ladies behind the counter asked, are you having a prom? Told her I wasn't and just like to wear heels. We had a little conversation about how she remembered me being there before and she thought it was cool I did my thing as I liked. The question probably was the best she could think of as a conversation starter.

Once I went to the store browsing the woman section two male sales guys had a commentary about me. What was said in concise manner was if I shopped for woman shoes it's slippery slope to becoming a serial killer. I had to be watched closely because someone who wears woman shoes doesn't care what society thinks of him.

Although I did ask for help because the store didn't have that style of booties I was looking for online.

Did go to another location where they had the booties. Once I entered the store the hottest SA stared at my skin tight jeans in flat ankle booties I had on. Asked one of the male SA but he calmly deferred it to the hot SA which hesitantly came over and male helper fetching the boots. She left me alone but the two female clerks looked upon me silently shocked as i sat alone in the female shoe section.

Once the booties arrived I tried them on she watched me walk asked if they fit. Asked for another style and she said sure having to fetch them. Later as I was comparing both booties she suggested I buy the first more generic without buckles and faux zippers. Thought she meant the first suede booties looked less feminine even with a three inch heel.

After packing up and going to pay the two female clerks seamed uncomfortably silent not knowing what to say. As I smiled upon them they began to relax more feeling less tense. Think it might of been the first time they seen a guy by heel booties before.

Although I did feel awkward being the hot SA was super beautiful but knew from her demeanour a guy wearing female booties and legging jeans wasn't her type. Maybe I felt bad because I didn't have a chance getting to know her better.

I can echo others in response to Payless.  My first experience there was not great, but acceptable, as when I asked the male clerk if there was any problem with me trying on heels he just stated I don;t care, do what you like.  Not the friendliest response, but also not a big issue.  But from that point on, it has never been an issue, and the girls at the store I shop at most often now offer suggestions to new styles, etc.  Payless is great.  Years ago there were a couple of small independent shoe stores that carried large sizes.  I called first to inquire about their policy and was more than welcomed by both.  Either was willing to let me use a back area if the store was busy, but after a while, I would just use the sales floor for the most part.  Both are, unfortunately, out of business.  I miss those places.  Places like Nordstrom Rack and DSW pretty much just leave you alone to do what you like.  While I have made many purchases at large department stores, I admit I have never sat down and tried anything on in something like a Macy's or Carson's.  I did ask to use a dressing room at a Penney's store and it was no problem.  And now that Sear's is self service, I try stuff on there for a qicuk "can I get it on at all" decision, and if it's something I like, I will take them to the dressing room for further inspection.  While I doubt that most sales associates will think "that's kind of weird" rather than "wow, that's cool", most really don't much care I believe.

In recent years now I have had a great time in the Fluevog stores where they are certainly helpful and encouraging of trying and suggesting styles to wear. They know me now well enough that they even hold or get some styles in for me before I know it. It so comforting to know people actually do not mind what it is I like wear in shoes. The other thing which I have found is that the young male sales associates there also try and on and buy heels themselves. Often when they are chatting with me about a style they confer saying "oh Darren took a size 10.5 in that style or Shane can fit into a an 11 and he has a bigger that you so they should fit". Really when a store does that kind customer service I will go back there for sure. In fact even spend more than I want too...LOL . I would like to drop by Solestruck in Portland Ore. as I get the same sense that they will be all over you and getting heels for you to work for your interests. I have bought a couple of pairs from them, chatted on the phone with service person and they were super helpful. They also carry many heeled styles for men online so it is business for the shoe-aholic/collector type of shopper.

I did have a young woman once give a sideways "really" and was a bit like "that is a woman's shoe is that for you", when replied yes she got uncomfortable but still helped me. Anyways it is turning around and I find many stores are willing to help you get what you want. Nordstroms is really good too for customer service.

• 2 weeks later...

This past week I have been in two Payless stores, an Aerosoles store and Naturalizer shop, just to browse around and see if there was anything I liked.  In all the stores, I told the clerks that I was browsing for some shoes for myself.  All of the clerks were very nice and helpful.  One of the Payless and the Aerosoles clerks were actively showing me various styles of shoes and encouraging me to try them on.  All of the clerks told me that I was NOT the first guy in the store looking and trying on gals shoes, as I suspected.  

The Payless gal (in her 30's) did say that most of the guys that she deals with are either at home wearers or CD's.  I told her that I am neither, but I do enjoy wearing heels openly in public.  She said that was "wonderful," that I look good in heels and she doesn't know why more guys don't go heeling.  

So, my experience with sales associates has been positive.  Go out there and give it a try….  Take care all, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"