What Does A Platform Do On A High Heel?

jim102

On 2/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, jetheelsfan said:

Fir me a platform of a 1/4" to 1/2" can be just as elegant as a single sole shoe.  When it gets any thicker than 1", they take on the appearance of wearing a "brick" and lose the elegance factor.  Many of the platforms take on the appearance of some of the orthopedic footwear used to equalize the length of legs due to a dreaded disease of my very early years --- polio

That is how I saw them as well jetheelsfan.  I had a grandmother with a short leg and she had an orthopedic pair of shoes that included the thick sole on one foot.  Always hated the way that looked.  I am still not a fan of platforms.  I can handle a small platform - maybe a 1/2 inch or so on a pump or dressy sandal, but beyond that, all I can think of is the stripper heels which I never cared for.  Today I don't mind some of the more casual styled platform wedges, but still find thicker platforms in true dress shoes unappealing.  But the guys here like Cali and HappyinHeels basically wear nothing but platforms and make them look pretty decent.  To each their own!

Sorry Cali - not meant as negative.  But I don't believe I've ever seen a photo from you of anything but a platform of some type.  For me personally, for some reason, I've just never really liked the look of a heel higher than four inches or so.  It just doesn't appeal to my eye - and that was even before I ever did much walking in heels.  Once I did that, I have found that four inches of heel (or a four inch difference) is about the max my legs and ankles can handle.  The lack of attraction to very high heels is likely a contributing factor when it comes to platforms - the higher the platform the higher the heel, and I don't really like the look of even the heel part regardless of the platform part.  As I said though, to each their own.  It would be boring if everyone wore the exact same shoes!

These are FreeBird Blaze. Have a pair in brown and a pair in black.

FB Blaze Blacks05h.jpg

These are my Soda booties. I need to get new caps for my heels since I have worn these so much. Took them to England and Scotland.

soda booties.jpg

Madden Girl Krisis (motorcycle boots), Worn out one brown pair, have another brown and a black pair too.

Krisis jean1H.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, RonC said:

Sorry Cali - not meant as negative.  But I don't believe I've ever seen a photo from you of anything but a platform of some type.  For me personally, for some reason, I've just never really liked the look of a heel higher than four inches or so.  It just doesn't appeal to my eye - and that was even before I ever did much walking in heels.  Once I did that, I have found that four inches of heel (or a four inch difference) is about the max my legs and ankles can handle.  The lack of attraction to very high heels is likely a contributing factor when it comes to platforms - the higher the platform the higher the heel, and I don't really like the look of even the heel part regardless of the platform part.  As I said though, to each their own.  It would be boring if everyone wore the exact same shoes!

After I wrote is I wore  bunch of single sole heels...just happened to work out that way. Many of my calf and higher boots have single soles. Wore my Nine West boots yesterday..I'll put a photo in my album later.