How do you measure shoe heels......

Firefox

....when out shoe shopping? Or do you just size them up by eye and try them on. I tend to measure them using my trusty finger measuiring device. My finger is exactly 102mm, 4" long, so I can hold it up with the nail at the heel point, and I know the exact measurements to various joints and folds in the flesh. I've seen Xaphod use a similar method but the tip of the finger goes at the top of the heel. I can only measure up to 4" accurately so anything over that I have to estimate. How good you reckon you are at estimating heel height when worn by someone. I reckon I can get it to within a 1/4" much of the time, but some pairs are deceptive. _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-03-15 02:11 ]</font>

I have a card marked up to six inches, and it lives in the inside pocket of a denim jacket I have. So if shopping at regular stores, I can use it to compare. The card is not needed in a specialty store for heels, but many shoe stores get confusing, so why not be accurate?

If it does not look high enough, it's not high enough for me. :smile: <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-15 07:03 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

If I'm wearing heels at the time, I compare the heel of the shoe I'm interested in with the heel I'm wearing. I also compare the length of the shoe, since I don't want the toes to be too long. You can always ask the staff for a ruler. :smile:

My way varies on this one. Mostly use my purse 4½ inches in length, this assures me I'm in the market as I just don't go lower than 4 inches. Like Trolldeg also have compared them with the shoes I have on. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

Come to think of it... I got a range of heel height too. Doesn’t matter what the height is as long it looks good. Starting with 2" up to 4.5 with or with out a small plat. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-15 17:59 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Hi, my thumb is an inch wide so I can measure the heelheight from the back. I place my thumbs above each other and so on to the sole above the heel. I can see the difference between 7 cm and 8 cm (2,756" and 3,15" respectively) but 6,5 cm and 7 cm is harder to measure (2,56" and 2,756")

I buy shoes I like that fit me and have a nice sensation. I only started measuring the heels with a ruler when I posted pictures of my shoes on my website. The previous 30 years I never even measured once, I just felt their height under my foot for adequacy.

I never felt the urge to compete or excel in heel magnitude, I just liked the sensation and some lower different heels sometimes provided more than some higher models.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Highluc on http://walk.to/highluc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Highluc on 2002-03-15 23:45 ]</font>

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

FF, My way of measuring heels does not stop at the 4" of a finger length. By placing the tip of my index finger at the top of a heel, the scale goes something like:- 'lifeline' crease in my palm .... 4" .... not bad crease next to the bottom of my thumb .... 5" .... interesting ball of my thumb .... 6" .... PLAYTIME