Muppet Movies

We've all seen and enjoyed The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island.  What other films could they remake?  I think you have to consider how you would cast at least Kermit and Miss Piggy, and who the human would be.  I offer The Wicker Muppet, with Kermit in the Edward Woodwood role and Miss Piggy playing Britt Ekland's role.  Christopher Lee would play his original part as Lord Summerisle.  Other suggestions welcome.

OK, shall I follow up with the most obvious? Star Wars

Kermit - Luke

Miss Piggy - Leia

Fozzie - Obi Wan

Dr Teeth - Han

Animal - Chewbacca

Sam the (Blue Bald) Eagle - Vader

(Scooter - Vader alternative)

Peter Cushing playing his original role.

All good.

Muppet Casablanca.  Obviously Kermit as Rick and Miss Piggy playing Ingrid Bergman's role, Dr Bunsen Honeydew in Peter Lorre's role and the human would be Paul Henreid as Lazlo (desperate enough for the work)  Rowllf would be Sam, and when Kermit says, 'Play it, Sam,' he plays this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j6a4bMjYJw

And keeping with the theme of the last few posts of the Word Association Game,

Peter Pan/Hook

Obviously with Kermit as Peter Pan and Miss Piggy as Wendy. I'd still cast Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell from Hook; I've not seen the other films to know who else plays her.

Have fun casting the other characters.

I feel the original needs some gravitas, or something to add an air of inappropriateness when you muppet it.  Muppet Terminator (Terminator could almost be a Muppet name).  Miss Piggy is Sarah Connor and Kermit is Kyle.  Schwarzeneger would be in his element.

....... Muppet Ben Hur.

I was thinking of that originally, but....

but who'd be the Christ figure?

Got to be Fozzie, hasn't it?

OK, a more modern (ahem) epic? 2012 (Only recently seen it and think it one of the biggest wastes of time and money ever. Big pile of *#%!, but that's another subject.). So....

Kermit taking John Cusack's role as Jackson Curtis

Fozzie possibly in for Chiwetel Ejiofor as Dr. Adrian Helmsley

Miss Piggy replacing Amanda Peet as Kate Curtis

Danny Glover remains as Thomas Wilson, the President of the United States.

But who could take over from Woody Harrelson as Charlie Frost, a fringe science conspiracy theorist and radio talk show host?

I've never seen it, I'm afraid, and I don't recognise any of the real actors' names, so I can't comment.  What about Muppet Play Misty for Me?  Kermit takes the Eastwood role and Miss Piggy is the deranged one.  Donna Mills would play herself.  It could be Play Rainbow Connection For Me.

Ooh, that's put Kermit reciting various Eastwood catch phrases into my mind. Why didn't "The Good, the....." do that for me?!

I've never seen it

I only wish I hadn't; it's three hours I'll never get back! As for the actors, Chiwetel Ejiofor went on to "12 Years a Slave" and Danny Glover was alongside Mel Gibson in the "Lethal Weapon" series of films, which provides my next submission:

Lethal Weapon with Kermit playing Riggs (Gibson) and Fozzie as Murtaugh (Glover). Gary Busey can reprise his role.

Well, yes, I knew Danny Glover.  Lethal Weapon is a good call, but hard to know where Miss Piggy fits in.  I feel she's a must in a Muppet movie.  But your other casting is good.  Kermit could do the mad eyes.

Sticking with the Gibson theme, Muppet Braveheart.  Plenty of roles for the wilder looking Muppets.  Miss Piggy would be Isabella of France and Longshanks would be played by the human.  In fact, the English army would be humans facing an army of Muppets.

....... but hard to know where Miss Piggy fits in.  I feel she's a must in a Muppet movie.

That's fair, but I think it kind of rules out The Good the Bad and the Ugly, though;-) Unless perhaps Miss Piggy takes Rada Rassimov's character María in that one, and plays Rianne Murtaugh (daughter of Roger) in Lethal Weapon.

I want to offer The Time Machine (the 1960 version with Rod Taylor), next. Kermit as George, Miss Piggy as Weena and one of the Morlocks can play their original role to keep the human/Muppet interaction! Lots of supporting muppet characters!

No, it's too small a role for Miss Piggy, so I have to accept your objection.  I'm glad you're paying attention.  Well done!  But A Fistful of Dollars should work.  Miss Piggy as Marisol and Kermit in Eastwood's role.  Miguel Rojo would be played by the original.

OK, I missed a beat.

That's a very scary thought, Hannibal Kermit;-)

Next up is a tricky series. The Bourne trilogy/quadrilogy. Tricky for several reasons, the first of which is because the titular character doesn't appear in all four films. I'm looking at the first three.

Then we have the difficulty of Miss Piggy. Although there are three strong female characters (Marie/Pamela Landy/Nicky Parsons), their roles are limited in the films.

So:

Kermit as Jason Bourne

Miss Piggy as Nicky Parsons (the role develops across the films)

Franke Potente and Joan Allen in their original roles

And a whole host of Muppet support parts!

I don't know the films, but could you go all avant garde and have Miss Piggy play all three roles?

I can't believe I'm about to vandalise my favourite film, but Muppet Breakfast at Tiffany's.  Kermit in George Peppard's role and Miss Piggy as his Sugar Mummy.  Audrey Hepburn, obviously, as Holly Golightly.  Now, would there be a way of putting the Swedish chef in instead of Micky Rooney's chinaman?

That's almost perfect casting. It's going to take a while to expunge the Swedish Chef from my imagination!

Now, taking a cue from the worst music thread, and because musicals are the perfect vehicle for muppet entertainment, I think we must consider The Sound of Music. Lead roles are obvious; but what fun casting the rest of the family. I think members of The Electric Mayhem; i.e. Dr. Teeth, Janice, Floyd Pepper, and Zoot are a must for four of the children with Janice as Lisle, and Animal would be perfect as Rolf!

Well, that might lead us to Muppet Great Escape, but we come up with the Miss Piggy problem.  So I'll give you Muppet Cabaret.  Actually, I like this, because there's the show within, like in the Muppets.  The casting is clear.  Kermit = Michael York and Miss Piggy = Liza Minnelli. Gonzo as the Emcee? Now, the bit I like is where you get a biergarten full of Muppets to do this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co  Statler and Waldorf could be two disapproving old men

You've stolen my next film!!! I was all ready with Cabaret but thankfully have plan B. I like the casting of Gonzo, though; I would have left Emcee as the human, but your casting is inspired.

So I offer Muppet From Here to Eternity with Kermit in for Burt Lancaster, Miss Piggy in for Deborah Kerr and Montgomery Clift remaining the human factor.

I'd like to cast Big Bird in Sinatra's role, there's precedent for Muppet Show/Sesame Street crossover, but I'm not sure it would work.

Oh, that's a good one, and I'd allow Big Bird.

I'd like to do Saving Private Rizzo, with Kermit in the Tom Hanks role.  I think he'd do it well, but we run up against the Piggy Problem again.  But it gets me thinking.  Kermit could play any Tom Hanks role, and Huge Grant (reminds me of my student days) is the British Tom Hanks, so Four |Muppets and a Funeral, just to see Kermit do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjixdVvkfL4  Miss Piggy is Andie McDowell.  The Tory that she marries is the one who stays human.  I think Fozzie is Gareth and Scooter reads Stop All the Clocks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDXWclpGhcg

I'd like to do Saving Private Rizzo, with Kermit in the Tom Hanks role.  I think he'd do it well, but we run up against the Piggy Problem again.

I'm still thinking of my next submission, but couldn't let this pass in case I forget my immediate reaction.

I like this idea and think it can work. Although only a "bit" part, the role of Rizzo's (Ryan's) mother provides one of the most powerful scenes in the film (in any film). I know that Miss P usually has lots of screen time and tries to steal every scene, but having her just fall to her knees!

That's very MP.  She could ham it up brilliantly.  Thank you.

How about The Muppet Year of Living Dangerously?  Kermit in Mel Gibson's role and Miss Piggy in Sigourney Weaver's.  Now, Billy Kwan presents a problem.  Whilst it's tempting to keep Linda Hunt in the role, it also calls for a muppet.  It's just a case of which is more offensive.  Michael Murphey keeps his role.