Projects, What Ya Working On?

We all have Hobbies or ' projects ' we work on. What are you up to lately? Reading a new series of books? Building a house? Restoring a car? Fixing a lawnmower? It could be almost anything.

Myself? Im trying to fix a dilema that I have run into and have had no means commercially to aid me. I like the feel of one type of guitar and the sound of another. Both companies are presently under a parent owner but wont work together to build me what I want so Im building my own ' bastard ' of sorts.

I LOVE the sound of the older Jackson guitars but the necks on them arent as reliable when they make it 20 years into playing on them. The wood discolors and the frets are hard to replace due to neck inlays and such. I LOVE the feel of Charvel necks and realized I can purchase them directly through a private source in quantity.

So.. Im building my own kind of guitar.

1986 vintage DK1 bodies with 2014 Charvel San Dimas type necks.

post-12379-0-60570400-1422806972_thumb.j

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

That's a cool project, good luck with the guitar. I love working with wood.

My past, present and future project is building an extension. Been renovating and extending the house since moving in ten years ago! Love it, but construction really eats into heeling time and ruins your nails. :sad:

One day a couple of years ago I walked round to the front of the house to unexpectedly find the usual skip lorry driver waiting in the drive. Not in itself a problem, except I was in a skirt and heels. I don't know who was more surprised, but nothing was said apart from the usual pleasantries, signed the delivery note, and off he went to unload the skip. He's delivered more skips since, still friendly, and when he drives past the house I usually get a hoot and a cheery wave. :cool:  

I've got two things on the go.  First, I'm re-teaching myself Ancient Greek.  I did a little bit at school, but I want to be good at it.  Not very useful, but I think it's who I should be.  Second I go to my local library and do some voluntary work.  They've got all the old local newspapers on microfiche and they want to make a computer index of the Births, Marriages and Deaths for people who are researching family trees.  So I scan through the old papers and type in the details and page numbers and edition date.  Sometimes it's fascinating.  On one day in 1962 a young German died, struck by lightning, and a schoolboy having a swimming lesson at school in Rye died from a lightning strike too.  It's entertaining, too, to read the headline 'Rotarians Dinner was a Gay Affair.'

Good luck with the guitar.  I hope we'll get to hear the result.

Still building my road trailer I started in 1972, just brought some mudguards so nearly there. I have answered this topic before a few years ago.

life is not a rehearsal

I have the forever ongoing house project. Right now I am rebuilding the old "music" room. Yes, played in a band but lost hearing in my left ear. Anyway, I have sheet rock back up and trying to get a door down. The room is like a parallelogram and is about 4 inches out of square so it is REALLY making the floor layout really hard.

I am also working on the porsche. It has had a miss since I bought it due to intake air leaks making it run lean. I think I have them all fixed as it now runs rich. I have the injection system (CIS) off and I am having the fuel distributor rebuilt.

I would like to pull one of the seats out and work on the heat controls along with pulling the fans to get them a little more quiet.

I have other projects but those top the list.

I played guitar all my life but I am not really that good. I took up drums about 10 yrs ago. I have always been a les Paul guy.

I have an old Ibanez artist and a Takamine acoustic now. I will have to send you the list of boutique amps my brother has.

Oh, I do wear 4 in heels working on the house. I have a pair of western shoe boots that are quite nasty from all the sweat. Actually they had a smell from being in storage when I got them that's all they were good for

Just finished putting in hardwood floors, the ten year old carpet was trapping dog smells. Not sure if my husband was considering the noise of heels when he opted not to re do carpet with carpet ;)

(formerly known as "JimC")

Do I have projects - - - 

Started building our current home in the fall of 1999 - still isn't done. If your in a hurry, don't build geodesic domes. Trim work and details in the house, and then finish the breezeway, and insulate and heat the garage - wood burners of course.

Need to do some work on my '86 honda 500 shadow for spring, Also have aquired a '74 CB 750 that will need a ton of work, but will end up being a cafe style bike. Next is the 84 Goldwing that I still need to pick up. May be some simple items such as head gaskets etc.

One poly sea kayak to prep for spring, One 'stitch and glue' wood kayak to finish, and one 17 foot sea kayak to do fiberglass repair on. Every time I go canoe shopping, I end up with another kayak.

For the last year and a half, we have been going through the estates of multiple family members. In my case, 3 generations of women who saved everything, and never downsized their households when the moved. On top of it, one was an antique collector.  I'm now an internet antique dealer selling what remains after a week long estate sale this last july.

Then there is the college house near the University of Cincinnatti and it's issues. One kid left in college - - - etc

I'm sure I have missed a few side projects, but this is enough for now.

After nineteen years of running my own business out of my home I have decided to change directions. Now I am working for in a different occupation and I am loving it. Decided to convert my old office and work area into an entertainment room for my wife and daughter. I already have my "man cave" so this way they can have their own area and they will not try to change my area. I think I have my work cut out for me. Well worth it when you have wife such as mine.

A DIY pinball machine.

Still in early whitewood stages. but the following is what's complete.

Digital scorekeeping system with CMOS/TTL logic.

William's flipper assemblies and Data East rebounders mounted to clean standard playfield.

I have the parts to assemble three Gottlleib bumpers. All other playfield devices will be custom.

I suppose I have to take pics.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I am getting closer to putting the floor down. I laid out the perimeter of the floor with a 2.5 inch CCW rotation and it looks like that is going to work.

The guy called about my fuel head for the 930. That should be done this week.

Oh. I also have to start going through the folder I just got back from my lawyer. The guy that was trying to sue me dropped it once he figured out he was going to lose his a$$. Now I have to sue him for my lawyer fees along with what we found out he was "steeling

" from us.

Pinball pics as promised. Sorry for the quality.

Main board with scoring system completed.

post-1004-0-42194500-1424351086_thumb.jppost-1004-0-83156500-1424351127_thumb.jppost-1004-0-24490100-1424351157_thumb.jp

Standard playfield with Williams flippers and Data East rebounders attached as well as a Bally ball tray.

post-1004-0-19966300-1424351671_thumb.jppost-1004-0-18795500-1424351702_thumb.jp

Gottlieb bumper and parts.

post-1004-0-62909200-1424351820_thumb.jppost-1004-0-61107900-1424351844_thumb.jppost-1004-0-77409500-1424351871_thumb.jp

Plunger

post-1004-0-17806600-1424351956_thumb.jp

Mirror finish 1-1/16" pinballs

post-1004-0-30732200-1424352006_thumb.jp

Happ pushbuttons for flippers and game start.

post-1004-0-92347500-1424352071_thumb.jp

PC AT power supply for logic boards and power transformer for electromechanical.

post-1004-0-58896700-1424352178_thumb.jp

Assorted rubber, standoffs and ball gates.

post-1004-0-48356800-1424352236_thumb.jp

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Not to argue with success, but wouldn't IC mounting sockets for the counters be better then direct wiring the ICs?

Do you have a sketch you would share for the playfield?

May I suggest something like: post-530-0-49021700-1424360684_thumb.jpg  Of course the kickers would be operative...

:penitent:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

All the IC's are socketed for easy serviceability.

Haven't really come up with a definte theme for the game yet but that's pretty adaptable to the table rules.

I also used machined pin sockets for reliability rather than the formed flat sheet metal types.

Pinball pics as promised. Sorry for the quality.

Main board with scoring system completed.

PIC_0001.JPG PIC_0002.JPG PIC_0003.JPG

Standard playfield with Williams flippers and Data East rebounders attached as well as a Bally ball tray.

PIC_0004.JPG PIC_0008.JPG

Gottlieb bumper and parts.

PIC_0005.JPG PIC_0006.JPG PIC_0007.JPG

Plunger

PIC_0009.JPG

Mirror finish 1-1/16" pinballs

PIC_0010.JPG

Happ pushbuttons for flippers and game start.

PIC_0011.JPG

PC AT power supply for logic boards and power transformer for electromechanical.

PIC_0012.JPG

Assorted rubber, standoffs and ball gates.

PIC_0013.JPG

Pretty cool project you have going on there Shafted.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Pretty cool project you have going on there Shafted.

Thanks. I've thought of the theme Frankenball because of the fact that the parts are from several different makes of machines.

Classic pinball machines are marvelous electromechanical wonders. I've always wanted to restore one, but never considered building one from scratch. I'm a bit surprised you handwired the counter rather than use a microprocessor board like Arundo or Raspberry Pi. Love TBG's boot kicker theme

Classic pinball machines are marvelous electromechanical wonders. I've always wanted to restore one, but never considered building one from scratch. I'm a bit surprised you handwired the counter rather than use a microprocessor board like Arundo or Raspberry Pi. Love TBG's boot kicker theme

I'm an old school type of guy. I wouldn't have wired an electronic score keeping system if an electromechanical scorer (which is quite rare to begin with) was available at a reasonable price. Besides I wanted it to be as close to the old electromechanical machines a possible. I grew up around pinball machines on a daily basis and was quite familiar with the internal workings even at an early age. I have watched with great interest machines being serviced while growing up. In addition to the parts you have seen I have electromechanical counting relays.

electromechanical counting relays.

I remember them. Early in my career (1980's) I worked for a company that maintained a then-ancient mechanical hotel PBX system. The relays stepped through contacts for each pulse of the rotary dial. What a glorious clatter this closet sized box made while people made calls.

I dig wanting to stay close to the pinball machine's roots.

My current hobby project is a tube guitar amp, based on an old bogen 35Watt PA amp. The unusual part of it is an even harmonics generator based on a variable Mu pentode normally used for hetrodyne mixing in radio circuits. The odd harmonics come from the mainly symmetrical clipping of the push-pull output. They are controllable separately. Unfortunately between the cold workshop and being busy at the real job, I haven't been at it very much.

Here is my floor. It's killing me. Knees are giving out....again. my wrists are the worst. Had to message them about an hour last night.almost.

the floor is 4yrs old. Came out of the house I grew up in.

post-2198-0-68788200-1424701493_thumb.jp