Suedette Repair

I was wearing my strappy black suedette heels to a cafe the other day, as I was sipping my coffee I crossed my legs and glanced down at my shoes (as you do of course) and noticed a horrible blotch where the suedette had somehow worn away. So, I wondered how I might repair this, and decided to try with a small strip of self-adhesive felt (like you can get from some art and craft shops in roughly letter-paper sized sheets). It's by no means an invisible repair, but it looks way better than the blotch did. I tried to take quite bright photos to show the damage and repair clearly, but in everyday scenarios unless they're in direct bright lighting the repair isn't too noticeable.

post-12051-0-31279000-1422059850_thumb.jpost-12051-0-74483100-1422059857_thumb.jpost-12051-0-40324800-1422059864_thumb.j

I figure maybe thin strips of this felt sheet in a contrasting colour could be used to add a styling detail to a plain pair of shoes, and I wonder if it could even be used to re-cover an entire pair of shoes, though it would be quite difficult to cut all the pieces to the exact shapes needed.

If you like it, wear it.

If it's anything like real suede, just use a suede brush to raise the grain.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

It isn't and this is a common problem with Suedette, the surface layer wears away.

That is a very good repair on something a professional would suggest throwing away. Well done!

Using a contrasting colour is a fine idea too.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Put another strip on the other side of the shoe then two on the other shoe so they match.  When something like that happens in computer software, we call it a feature.  I'd go easy on using a contrasting color.  Contrast attracts attention.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Dr Shoe, I agree, it's a shame to throw away a nice pair of heels if there's some way to repair them with a little effort.

TBG, I didn't think of adding other strips to match everything up, but I did wonder about cutting a larger piece that looked more like a part of the shoe by design. I figured I'd try the small strip first just to see how well the repair holds up before trying a bigger job.

I think this particular pair of shoes is way too busy with the straps for any contrasting colour, but it would be fun to try some embellishment to add a colour accent detail to a very plain pair of courts.

If you like it, wear it.