First Heels Out Walking Advice

peterw

Hi All,

Ive just worn my first pair of heels outside to go to the local post office and back. I hid the heel with slightly longer bootcut womens jeans so as not to make it too obvious. Now when I say heels they may not be up to 'your' standards at being about 2 1/2" high and only tapered slightly off a full block heel but to me nevertheless they are heels. What I did notice was the noise and I was paranoid that someone would say something on that basis; when I returned home I did notice that the underside of the heel was quiet worn and that perhaps with not many more trips out the heel would need repairing. I am wondering if perhaps I am not quiet walking right if that makes sense. Any advice please. Thanks.

Nowt wrong with 2/half inch heel, maybe the heels need a bit of repair work, good rubber bottoms is a good start. I have a pair of Marks and Spencer ankle boots that I wear almost daily the heels are only a tad under 3 inches, but had them reheeled with rubber and no problems, and best thing nobody notices, so go forth and enjoy wearing your heels.

life is not a rehearsal

What I did notice was the noise and I was paranoid that someone would say something on that basis;

In all the times I have worn heels (and some noisy ones at that), I have never had anyone say "Man, your heels are making a lot to noise."  Most of the time no one says anything, but I do get an occasional "Nice boots".

Having the heels repaired with rubber will go long way to quieting them down but until you are really confident in your appearance in heels, you will find something else to obsess about.  Having confidence is the key.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I think sometimes the initial signs of wear from brand new are really noticeable, but after that they settle down and the wear is not as bad as you first think. I did find that in my early days of heeling my enthusiasm for walking everywhere in heels made me wear them down quite quickly, but now I'll always wear flats for walking long distances and change into heels nearer to my destination, which helps to reduce wear on the shoes and on my feet! I'd say don't worry about the noise, it's a huge part of the fun, just enjoy your heels as much as you like and get them re-heeled whenever you need to.

If you like it, wear it.

Two and one half inch heels??  That is what I wear, perfect height for me at least.  As for the noise, some heels make more noise than others.  You just get used to it.  If the noise bothers you, or you think it causes to much attention, get some shoes with a quieter heel.  

It's fun to get out, have a good time…..   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Have the heel replaced with a rubber heel.

I wear boots mainly so the heels are thicker but hollow. I remove the sole of the heel and fill them with caulk for lowes. Then I put a softer rubber heel on. This also helps with slipping on smooth floors.

Wear a straight leg jean. The lack of toe sticking out from the pants is another give away.

Think of them as the shoes you chose to wear. At some point in your thinking, they were so attractive, that you had to put them on to see how good they felt and looked on you. Upon this completion, you made the decision they could be a part of the outfit you were going to wear because you really liked how having them on. Now! Are you ashamed of your thinking or fearful that others are expecting you to be within their image of what they have learned to  accept? You aren't them and they ain't you! They should follow your lead instead of you cowering to theirs, if there has to be that kind of relationship. Your desires, feelings, perspectives, and personal agency are just as important as theirs. As individuals, you can't be them, nor can they be you. If being yourself means you would loose those who seem to care about you, then how can they be good in helping you achieve the abilities and goals you have to reach.