Trick To Put On Tight Fitting Pull On Boots

freestyle75

Hi everyone,

while browsing the Nordstrom website and looking at a pair of pull on boots (no zipper, knee-high), I found an unusual trick to put on tight fitting boots:

plastic-bag-trick_zpsc7ce501d.jpg

I still have a pair of Yves Saint Laurent knee high wedge boots (pull on style) here that I have not worn so far - they felt half a size to small as they were nearly impossible to pull on, and even harder to remove. I already thought about selling them on ebay... till... I tried the bag trick !

It really worked - they are really easy to pull on now. Although I must admit that they fit so snug that I often only get 90% of the bag torn away (a small piece stays inside till I remove the boots again).

I thought I share this here, as this trick was completely new for me.

Thanks for sharing, I've not come across that trick before either. What kind of socks are you wearing with these boots? Presumably you've managed to get out of yours after putting them on with the plastic bag trick.... or have you?

I once had a pair of pull-on knee boots that were very difficult to put on, I could only wear them with sheer hosiery. Once I'd got them on they fit just fine, not too tight at all. Like you say, getting out of them can be a bit of a struggle too. I don't have those boots any more, they were quite a cheap synthetic material that stretched out so much around the ankle area from all the pulling on and off, they just didn't look right any more. I have other pairs of pull-on heeled knee boots that are easier to put on and hold their shape better. The only pair I struggle with are a pair of flats, which is a shame because I'd like to wear them with slightly thicker socks and/or insoles for warmth and comfort. The trouble is that, with any boots or shoes, buying the next size up they are just he wrong size (too long) and don't support the foot properly.

If you like it, wear it.

I've used this trick for years and years. I still use it to this day to get my riding boots on if I'm going to school a horse or do some dressage.

I think there was a post about it years ago but it's probably been archived.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Thanks for sharing, I've not come across that trick before either. What kind of socks are you wearing with these boots? Presumably you've managed to get out of yours after putting them on with the plastic bag trick.... or have you?

When I couldn't get them on with regular (even thin) socks, I tried sheer hosiery. That kind of worked better, but compared to the bag trick, it was still a hassle to get them on (and off). With the bag trick, I can get them on with thicker socks, break them in, switch to thinner socks and be happy for good and all :-)

I think hosiery works very well in dealing with tighter boots, it seems to make everything just slide so much easier.  Not sure I would try the bag thing myself, it would sort of bug me that there are little pieces of plastic trapped in my boot all day.  Even if I couldn't really feel it, I am finicky enough that it would just be a distraction all day...  heh

• 5 years later...

I’ve used this trick many times before because believe me there’s nobody worse than me with pull on boots, my high instep has a lot to do with this, the only problem now when you’re in stores trying on they don’t like to give away plastic bags any more so you’re just left to struggle I’m afraid 

My trick with pull-on and 1/2, 1/4 zip boots is DON'T buy them. I also have a high arch and getting my foot in the position to put pull-on on is impossible. that's why I'm a full zipper freak.