Your Feelings On Scotland.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UK has had to use the revenues through some hard times but it has 11 times the population of Norway to support, so it has been a bonanza for Norway and it seems to have pushed the cost of living through the roof as a side effect. The Big Mac Index shows that a Big Mac costs the equivalent of $9.63. (2012 figures)

What fun there could have been if the vote went Yes! I stand to be corrected on al this, of course :)

Maybe 12$ BigMacs?

$9.63 Thats INSANE!

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Of course, in Europe it's called the Royale, no wait a minute, is that Burger King?  Either way, the Royale will be cheaper now they've kept the Queen, and you can eat one without being shot Miss Scarlet in the dining room with the lead pipe.  They had a lucky escape with the No vote.

A note on the high priced Big Macs etc. It is true Norway is horrifically expensive - for us who visit there. I've been many times. But the wages of Norwegians meet the prices quite nicely. They have an extremely high standard of living. 

So it would seem.

It also appears that the high incomes are met with some very high personal taxes approaching 40% basic rate. I think it's at that point  the Scottish Islanders seem to lose interest in joining the Scandinavians :P 

Right first time Megan I think - depending where you are in the world. :)  In India you can get the McPaneer Royale 

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle

Curiously enough the Norwegians do not seem to mind their high tax rates. I believe it is because they perceive value in what they get for their tax money, as opposed to those of us elsewhere who feel we are merely providing a slush fund for some elite gentleman's club.

Not to mention those that just want to freeload off the system.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Yes, I must admit I'm not very good on burgers.  My children used to like Happy MealsR  and I liked MacDonalds because they were very child friendly and made nice coffee, though I never wanted to eat there.  My boy liked the Chicken McNugget Happy Mealand my daughter the Fish McFinger Happy MealR .  I used to ask for a chicken nugget one or a fish finger one, without the obligatory Mc, but in France the fish fingers were called McMarins and I didn't know French for fish finger so I had to use the Mc.  I wished we'd gone to Burger King ;)

I hope with all the Macs and Mcs this is still on topic.

Curiously enough the Norwegians do not seem to mind their high tax rates. I believe it is because they perceive value in what they get for their tax money, as opposed to those of us elsewhere who feel we are merely providing a slush fund for some elite gentleman's club.

Not to mention those that just want to freeload off the system.

I think Scotland saw a small taste of what the U.S. is experiencing.. and probably made the wrong choice ( Just my opinion ).

Shafted : I feel you and I both will agree that some people need a helping hand. We ALL experience ' low times ' in life and truly may need assistance or guidance in  pulling ourselves up by our boot-straps. All too often though, people turn a helping hand into a ' hand out ' and ride it for as long as they can regardless of the good will of others whom initially wished to help them.

It pains me to say this but I know of a farm worker whom applied for ' food stamps '. Its not that they needed the food ( They had all they could stuff in their truck! ), but they could sell one end and put money in their pocket. Thievery in my opinion but the ' system ' allows for such to happen.

Gosh Ilick,

if you think people are struggling in the USA then you haven't seen anything yet. I've actually wrapped up and withdrawn all my assets there over the last year. I recommend you do the same and be quick about it too.

Don't get caught out holding any dollars. Exchange them for Rubles or Canadian dollars or something before they're worth nothing at all!

And Megan you ought to know better than to dine at Macdonalds let alone feed your children on it!!!!

And Megan you ought to know better than to dine at Macdonalds let alone feed your children on it!!!!

There was method in my madness.  One needs to dance with the Devil to know his moves.  Now grown up, neither would use McDonalds, so it worked. And like I said, they made very nice coffee.

Oh dear. I have just checked my foreign money folder and there's 18 US$  in there! What to do???

Every day brings a new dilemma!

Lucky that the Scots were not considering following Panama and using the US$, if Amanda's prediction is on the button. (In a small attempt to bring the thread back on track after throwing a Big Mac into the mix :) )

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle

I've already turned most of my dollars into hard assets.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Gosh Ilick,

if you think people are struggling in the USA then you haven't seen anything yet. I've actually wrapped up and withdrawn all my assets there over the last year. I recommend you do the same and be quick about it too.

Don't get caught out holding any dollars. Exchange them for Rubles or Canadian dollars or something before they're worth nothing at all!

Tractors, seeds, livestock and bullets. No false-promisory-notes in my possession.

Im hoping Texas does tell the Union where to go. I'll be a new citizen as Im done with the failed Idealisms of the last 2 decades and the divisions being imposed.