The Stigma And Power Of Thigh High Boots

JeffB

The thing I have discovered recently is that "public acceptance" always mirrors what you're wearing, not the other way around.

What I'm saying is that the whole public acceptance thing is in your heads people. You can go out in absolutely anything without any bother. Try wearing a bin liner and nothing else (just cut holes for your head and arms) and see what happens. If anyone asks the ineveitable question just tell them you lost a bet.

I'm betting no one will give you a second glance (not one you'd know about anyway).

I once walked through the centre of Sheffield (a steel workers' city in a county where men are Men) in 5" patent thigh boots and a lace catsuit and not much else. No one gave me a second glance, Well actually they did, according to my friend who deliberatley walked about 20 yards behind everyone stopped and stared with chins on the floor. No one did anything when they knew I could see them, in fact the studied indifference was overwhelming!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I remember a priceless scene in that old Sixties TV series Batman where Batman and Robin, in tights and capes, are mingling at a formal cocktail party. Batman, the soul of discretion, reminds his young ward to keep his voice down. "We don't want to be conspicuous". And of course nobody pays the least bit of attention to them.

Art imitating life.

The thing I have discovered recently is that "public acceptance" always mirrors what you're wearing, not the other way around.

What I'm saying is that the whole public acceptance thing is in your heads people. You can go out in absolutely anything without any bother. Try wearing a bin liner and nothing else (just cut holes for your head and arms) and see what happens. If anyone asks the ineveitable question just tell them you lost a bet.

Like this, do you mean?

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1592513.ece/alternates/s615/Chris%20Joannides.jpg

• 1 month later...

Of course there are thigh boots and there are thigh boots. Variations in styles, colours and material make a world of difference in pubic perception of both the boot and the wearer.  Shiny patent - in black or candy colours - stiletto heels and crotch-high styling give off a vastly different vibe than, say, muted grey suede with block heels and an over-the-knee/low-thigh styling. Yet both could be said to be thigh boots.

You are right about different styles and perceptions, Shyheels.   So, what do we make of this pic that I've just come across by chance: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/67/63/a6/6763a64771f34a476283516c3e43e922.jpg ?

If one discounts the possibly homo-erotic slant, imho the overall look is masculine, comfortable and elegant (apart from the cut-off top) and I suspect that many members would aspire to public outings in these boots, and indeed the rest of the outfit or something very similar (cigar optional!).    Somehow, it just looks 'right' to me - what do others think?

Slyheels does make a good point about the different styles of thigh boots.  I'd like to own a pair of grey suede block heeled boots but I haven't found a pair yet.  Until then, I rather like the stiletto heeled boots I do own and enjoy wearing them in public.

The picture Puffer posted looks more "right" then "wrong".  I'm not a fan of the slicked down hair style or the cigar.  From the waste down, I'd definitely present that image, but from the waste up I'd soften it a bit.  That is a great looking pair of crotch high boots.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

You are right about different styles and perceptions, Shyheels.   So, what do we make of this pic that I've just come across by chance: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/67/63/a6/6763a64771f34a476283516c3e43e922.jpg ?

If one discounts the possibly homo-erotic slant, imho the overall look is masculine, comfortable and elegant (apart from the cut-off top) and I suspect that many members would aspire to public outings in these boots, and indeed the rest of the outfit or something very similar (cigar optional!).    Somehow, it just looks 'right' to me - what do others think?

Intriguing picture. Since I'm not a smoker, the cigar was an instant turnoff, but the cutoff shirt was mildly interesting, not something I'd do, but it was still interesting. And the boots looked cool!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Also reminded me of Freddie Mercury right away.

To be honest, just wearing boots that are knee-high, have such a pointed toe and stiletto heel with an otherwise "normal" outfit would be over the edge of what I am currently bold enough to wear.

But even IF I would be bold enough to go out in such thigh high boots (and yeah, these look cool), the whole picture has a very much gay-ish vibe to me. It's the combination of too many clues... the slicked down hair, the mustache, the women's jacket (very short as a whole / looks like the sleeves are 3/4 sleeves - never seen a men's jacket with this, although I really like the jacket), the cropped shirt that is clearly a women's shirt (the neckhole is too wide for a cropped guy's shirt), the (probably golden) necklace, as well as the jearns that is cut too high to the torse IMHO...

Nope, not for me... especially not in the city where I live, which is known to have a high share of gay people living here - don't want to attract the wrong gender :cheeky:

I do not find that a very attractive photo and I can't think it, or anything like it, is ever going to advance the cause of men wearing any sort of alternative fashion or tall boots. Not many people, I don't think, other than Freddy Mercury wanna-bes, are going to identify with that image, and even the thought, in the back of the mind, that wearing a different sort of boots could create an impression like that would send many people - who might otherwise like the idea of wearing tall boots - scurrying for cover.

Having posted the pic at #35 and invited your comments, I think there is a concensus that (i) the boots are great - even if too extreme for many of us to wear publicly (except in our dreams); (ii) everything above the waist is rather dubious and does male boot wearers in general no favours.   But, as food for thought - or inspiration, it was a valid find and by no means as off-beat as many 'men in heels' pics seen around - including some of members here. 

Sort of reminds me of the late great Freddie Mercury.

That's what I thought too!!

I don't know what too make of it in some ways. The overall look has potential, but something doesn't "click" with me.

Hate to say it, but I can see this guy arriving at "The Blue Oyster Club" ( from the movie Beerfest) on the back of the motorcycle - - - !!

Hate to say it, but I can see this guy arriving at "The Blue Oyster Club" ( from the movie Beerfest) on the back of the motorcycle - - - !!

And I thought it was from the Police Academy" movies.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• 10 months later...

Only fairly recently added a pair of thigh boots to my wardrobe, but so far getting a real buzz wearing them. While my confidence level is in no way near approaching that of TBG and JeffB ("May The Force Be With You"), I have been out and about a few times teamed with skinny jeans and jacket.

568e8768f0d75_CoatJeansThighBoots1.thumb

Although not usually a fan of tights or fishnets, I think they actually go quite well with a short skirt and thigh boots! I would probably not dare go out and about in public like this but did go to a private club event recently. Only a short walk from where we parked the car to the club and it was dark, so can't really claim this as a public outing. Fun though!!

568e816e8df51_MiniFihnetsThighboots1.thu

568e9f3db499f_MiniFishnetsThighboots2.th

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aristoc said:

Only fairly recently added a pair of thigh boots to my wardrobe, but so far getting a real buzz wearing them. While my confidence level is in no way near approaching that of TBG and JeffB ("May The Force Be With You"), I have been out and about a few times teamed with skinny jeans and jacket.

Although not usually a fan of tights or fishnets, I think they actually go quite well with a short skirt and thigh boots! I would probably not dare go out and about in public like this but did go to a private club event recently. Only a short walk from where we parked the car to the club and it was dark, so can't really claim this as a public outing. Fun though!!

Amazing!

Don't put yourself down the confidence shown wearing those boots outdoors your doing fine. Venturing out in a skirt shown and tights, thigh boots night or day is bold and confident to be sure. Lucky you had somewhere to wear it with feeling comfortable 

Think black denim Coated would look better with the boots. Find whenever wearing light blue denim jeans tan or brown and grey booties work best for a casual look. Just a opinion either way looks good. The jacket supports the look. Nice job. 

As for tights opaque black silky shine and leather slirt i too agree works awfully well also.

Wish i could get the guts to let alone buy a pair to try on. While even wearing them in public would be another matter entirely. 

• Like 1

Hi Aristoc:  I love the leather skirt and thigh boots look.  I believe that the fishnets look fine.  I have a question for you, what event did you go wearing this outfit?  Even at night I think it is an outfit I would stare at.  I am pretty sure you had a lot of people look at you at this club.  

You may ask why I would stare at it.  First of all, it is an outfit I truly like to see on anyone and second I would love to try the outfit too.  

Can you tell me where you got the skirt and the boots?  It is a great outfit.

Hi MackyHeels,

Thanks for your positive comments and fashion advice. Unfortunately not got any black jeans, but have worn a black 'parka' style jacket with a nice fur trimmed hood which goes better with these boots...just no pics.

Hi Thighmax,

Thank you also for your kind comments. The skirt is just a cheap faux leather job off ebay I'm afraid and the thigh boots are from Skyscrapers http://www.sky-scrapers.co.uk/index.php/   Unfortunately this forum is probably not the right platform to elaborate on the nature of the club event we attended, but suffice to say, I was quite conservatively attired compared to many! :cheeky: I did get lots of positive comments though...which is always nice.

8 hours ago, aristoc said:

You can never go wrong with thigh high boots fishnets and or  a leather mini.  Your look is fantastic. Here's a couple of my outfits from my albums.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aristoc said:

Although not usually a fan of tights or fishnets, I think they actually go quite well with a short skirt and thigh boots! I would probably not dare go out and about in public like this but did go to a private club event recently.

Try the skirt and boots with black leggings rather than the fishnets.  Yeah I know it kills the contrast the fishnets generate for the skirt and the boots, but that's the idea.   The skirt and boots are really not as noticeable when the whole leg is black.  That may sound crazy but I have been wearing that combination for a year or so and it really is a mild (almost unnoticeable) look.

The boots look great with jeans and with the skirt.  Show them off and have fun doing it.  Find a nice restaurant and go in for dinner, sit in a booth and enjoy quiet dinner.  With black leggings and a coat or jacket, no one will notice the skirt and few will notice your boots (been there done that).

When you're ready to really be noticed try one of CAT's styles.

TBG

• Like 1

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Do love your fishnets and ankle pumps. You give me inspiration one day i could do it before i get to old. Can't believe i wrote that never ventured to dress similar to the pics you posted. The last picture of grey skirt and platform heels and nude pantyhose complete the look very well. You must get hint of what woman must be thinking looking upon the last picture. I can guess some ladies might be envious of how well you appear... Any loud comments from woman which seam negative but  actually they are jealous deep down and hate to admit they like your appearance.

While i digress i too had similar negative haters being woman i see often at my gym. They loudly comment to anyone who listens on how disturbing or terribly bright my colour attire is, specifically leggings i wear.  Yet i knew those woman who protest to much or mocking attitudes nag others to listen of her negative opinions of my appearance, is deeply hiding something.

Now i know as one by one begin to copy the very same colour and style i wear. Is obvious to me they are deeply jealous. 

Glad you wear what you like and none stops you from enjoying the style. Good Work, keep it up..

• Like 1

I have come along way to not worry about others.   I have taken train to Chicago. Have shopped  have stopped for a drink.  Out to a a couple clubs. Walked on Michigan avenue with all the people and have gotten many looks whistles and car horns.  Only 3 times that I got a WTF.  Who cares. The silver skirt and silver platform pumps was outfit for New Year's Eve.  I had 2 girls stop me and said my shoes were absolutely fantastic.  The whole outfit was perfect.  I chatted with them.  They were in awe that I am in that outfit and I am not (never) fully dressed as a girl nor trying to pass as a girl.  Just a straight guy in a skirt and heels!!!!!!!  Take a look at all the pics in my albums to see all the stuff I have wore out. I usually try to head out with a new outfit at least 2-3 times a month. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CAT said:

I have come along way to not worry about others.   I have taken train to Chicago. Have shopped  have stopped for a drink.  Out to a a couple clubs. Walked on Michigan avenue with all the people and have gotten many looks whistles and car horns.  Only 3 times that I got a WTF.  Who cares. The silver skirt and silver platform pumps was outfit for New Year's Eve.  I had 2 girls stop me and said my shoes were absolutely fantastic.  The whole outfit was perfect.  I chatted with them.  They were in awe that I am in that outfit and I am not (never) fully dressed as a girl nor trying to pass as a girl.  Just a straight guy in a skirt and heels!!!!!!!

Your exactly correct the further you delve without hiding the appearance like some here write about trying to do out of fear. Sometimes being bold and not caring woman tend to respect it more and compliment you as well. Lets face it what the pictures show difficult to hide or camouflage  not being noticed with pumps and stocking and skirts.

Do know when i wear female jeans and ankle bootie with a two inch heel, woman already suspect, or know, i'm wearing their style of clothes subtle or not they are aware. Sometimes if i'm hiding it they find it amusing or weird thinking i know he wearing woman skinny jeans or leggings so what's the point of wearing it and covering up, are you shy or embarrassed... Then it makes no sense wearing clothes that is meant to show off your body yet cover it up with. So why not push it further with spiked sexy five inch stiletto oxford booties with dark opaque tights worn with a sweater dress?....:icon_idea:

When i first bought heeled ankle booties and worn a chunky three inch heel it was more bold than the other booties and people did turn their heads noticing. At one point did see my very first  pleasant smile from a female cashier at a store i visited noticing my heeled booties. So when i blatantly wore a female heel no mistakenly that it was female matched up with ultra skinny jeans and winter pea coat it showed i wasn't bothered with anyones stares, huffing and puffing, or smirking giggles, and crude commentary...

Hell woman already label me as looking like a girl (overhearing chatter behind me in store  cashier lineup ) wearing skinny jeggings and cuban ankle booties or high top sneakers. So why not give them exactly what they are implying to one another. Even some woman i overhear say i'm a crossdresser because i wear female yoga crop tights in the gym. While wearing some envious and glamourous heels showing off my lean legs that woman told me before are envious to want including my butt. 

Do know one fact woman enjoy to shop and love clothes and shoes be it knee high flat boots, pumps, heeled ankle booties i know i can pull it off as well if not better as them. Often you hear woman envious of others wearing certain clothes or hair styles, giving compliments or making new friends they adore only because what they wear or look.  

Do notice my collection of female yoga crop tights brings out many woman to delight me wearing it and are attracted to it envious often to the point of jealousy their admissions not mine.

So their is a dilemma which women have when a male attires himself completely with feminine athletic attire head to toe and they just love the coordination color and style, yet find it wrong for a man to wear it be it, with attractive physique to go along, such as the picture below.   

RAGA-WN43_V1(2).jpg.80e4ff915c5984a8eec5

Often times in the summer i wear short shorts cutoffs and a nice suntan showing off my smooth silky legs. Woman may laugh at first thinking he has legs like a woman then almost always correct themselves saying better than a woman or wishing she looked like me.

Overall, the look involves some things that I would use but maybe not all.  I might step on some toes with what I am going to say but here it goes.

We as men need to learn to appreciate the differences in styles that so many of us will bring to the table.  Some guys will like to use thigh boots under some type of knee length skirt, only to be suggestive but don't show that much.  Some will show more and some will definitely try to hide all they can.

We must understand that everyone of us is different and that includes the desired style.  As you see from the picture, the short tank top is something that even in the women's department is really difficult to pull of; not because it looks gay or anything, just because you have to have the right figure to be able to use it.  

If we think it looks gay, it is our stereo typification of it, not necessarily because it doesn't look good.  For me, the jeans and boots look awesome, but I would have chosen a different look from the waist up.

11 hours ago, Thighbootguy said:

Try the skirt and boots with black leggings rather than the fishnets.

When you're ready to really be noticed try one of CAT's styles.

TBG

Thanks, good advice, might get some black jeggings.

Not sure I'll ever be ready to try and emulate CAT's style...awesome!!

Off to the cinema tonight to watch Star Wars. If 'The Force is Strong' I'm tempted to wear the boots!

On 1/7/2016 at 11:42 AM, aristoc said:

Well done, my friend! Your pictures looked great! I was glad to have read that you enjoyed wearing thigh boots, TBG turned me onto them and they're absolutely great, especially when paired with a short skirt, something I find to be a fantastic combination. The last two pictures were most intriguing, definitely more for a party or club atmosphere than a simple walk through a downtown area like I specialize in, but you made it work. Hopefully, the more you wear your boots in an everyday sort of environment, the more confidence you'll achieve, and the more fun you'll have.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

12 hours ago, JeffB said:

Well done, my friend! Your pictures looked great! I was glad to have read that you enjoyed wearing thigh boots, TBG turned me onto them and they're absolutely great, especially when paired with a short skirt, something I find to be a fantastic combination. The last two pictures were most intriguing, definitely more for a party or club atmosphere than a simple walk through a downtown area like I specialize in, but you made it work. Hopefully, the more you wear your boots in an everyday sort of environment, the more confidence you'll achieve, and the more fun you'll have.

Thank you for your kind comments and words of encouragement. Early days but certainly having a blast wearing these 'bad boys' out and about. The mini and fishnets were for an evening event at a club, where I felt at ease portraying this kind of image.

For out and about in the daytime I'm going more for jeans or dark jeggings and coat, at least for now while it's cold and wet, like the not so good pic below!5693015fb06f6_TBJeggCoat1.thumb.jpg.1242

Great look. 

6 hours ago, aristoc said:

at least for now while it's cold and wet

Watch out for the wet part.  Most boots like that don't take well in wet conditions and especially watch out for salted snow and ice.  The brine can wreck a pair of boots.

To complete the look, get a pair of black leather women's gloves (rather than chunky men's gloves).  They will keep your hands warm and look great with the boots.

6 hours ago, aristoc said:

Early days but certainly having a blast wearing these 'bad boys' out and about.

Enjoy your boots, life is too short not to.