Backup Shoes: Do They Help Or Hinder You Stepping Out In Heels?

SleekHeels

Backup Shoes: Do They Help or Hinder You Stepping Out in Heels?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Backup Shoes: Do They Help or Hinder You Stepping Out in Heels?

• It helps me stepping out in heels if I have some backup shoes with me.
    • It holds me back from stepping out in heels if I have some backup shoes with me.

Does it help you or hold you back from stepping out in heels if you have some backup shoes with you?

I think that having the safety net of a pair of backup shoes helped me when I first started stepping out in public in heels. Having said that, the first few times I walked around the block I never carried backup shoes with me, but having a backup definitely gave me the confidence to wear my heels further afield.

Even today I feel  comfortable wearing my heels out and about, but I do tend to have a pair of flats with me because I wear them to walk long distances and then change into my heels when I won't be walking around so far. If nothing else, you never know when a heel might break.... that's never happened to me, although I once had the upper come loose from a pair of mule wedge sandals, and it was a relief to walk the 200 metres or so back and change into my flats.

If you like it, wear it.

Hmm! An interesting question to say the least. Admittedly, I did carry flats with me during my jaunts, but I only wore them for when I was driving as I didn't want to scuff the backs of my shoes (or boots) while working the pedals. However, that isn't an issue for me anymore, but I never felt they held me back when it came to being out and about in heels.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Sleekheels :

I always have a change of clothes regardless where Im going. Usually just a sweatsuit and a pair of sketchers sneakers in a backpack sitting in the cab of my truck. Theres other things as well as I live in an area that does see 3 or 4 months of sever snowfall/in-climate weather.

Just for heeling though? Im usually in wedges so longer distances ( at this point ) really dont bother me at all. Im used to it.

-ILK

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I NEVER, EVER brought along a backup pair of shoes. A backup pair implies that there is something wrong with wearing high heels.

It's a crutch.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I generally have a pair of Crocks in the car when I go out.  There not a backup pair, rather something else to wear if 5¼" stilettos are impractical.  Considering that I'm often wearing a skirt, backup shoes have not been a consideration. 

It has recently occurred to me when I'm out that would be "interesting" if I had a car malfunction, but that hasn't caused me to turn around and head home.  I'm comfortable with my presenttion.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

As I drove through Downtown last night, I saw a group a of couples formally dressed for an evening event.  I noticed a couple of the ladies walking bare-footed with their heels in hand.  It seems having or not having a back-up pair was not in the cards for the ladies.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I'm usually not in need of back-up shoes, but Saturday was an exception, because we were going far away for the day. My wife and I drove from central Ohio north to Lake Erie to visit friends in Marblehead, Ohio. Mostly we just sat and chatted outside. It was a gorgeous day. But I got some heeling in, too!

Last week I received a new pair of White Mountain "Terrace" sandals in "cognac" (brown, really) and I've been enjoying breaking them in. I wore them to work (half mile walk) a couple of days, and I thought I would also wear them Saturday for the drive up to Lake Erie and back. Once there, I planned to change into my Naturalizer black "Tribute" gladiator sandals with a 2.5 inch wedge heel. But we got to the town of Marblehead, stopped at a cafe for brunch, and I decided to leave the Terrace sandals on. I heard no objection from my wife, so that was good.

The sandals are 3.5 inches high, with a platform of 3/4 of an inch. The net rise of 2.75 inches isn't hard to walk in at all, but the platform is kind of stiff, so it was a different feel, and anyone who knows shoes would know these were women's. I was a little self conscious, but figured I didn't know anyone there, so the heeled sandals would not be a problem. I was right. No looks. No stares. No fashion police making arrests. No newsw helicopters overhead. Life was good. 

Then after we finished eating we went over to the nearby lighthouse, in a state park, and met our friends. I kept the Terrace sandals on, and nobody noticed, or if they did, they didn't say anything. If they'd asked, I would have just said they're clog-style sandals and I really like them. Anyway, I wore the sandals ALL day, including to lunch in the afternoon, and for the drive home and I was still wearing them in the evening. I never did switch to my back-up shoes. The new sandals are really fun to wear, comfortable beyond expectations, and a joy to have on my feet. And the fact that my wife didn't object is a real bonus. It gave me a lot of courage to wear them out to other places more often, too.

I wouldn't have found them if Bluejay hadn't mentioned them, and for $20 at 6pm.com, they're a super bargain! I wore them Sunday to breakfast with friends at the local coffee house. And I wore them last night to a Mexican restaurant with friends of ours. They're still on my feet today at the office! And although I have back-up shoes at the office, I have no intention of changing into them. These are too much fun! Last night I ordered another pair in black!

Steve

post-4071-0-69471800-1408374910_thumb.jp

post-4071-0-41345900-1408374966_thumb.jp

post-4071-0-77588500-1408374974_thumb.jp

I have never carried a pair of "backup" shoes, but I also don't own any shoes that I can't walk in for at least 2 miles in reasonable comfort. Actually, that's not technically true, as I do own a couple of 5 1/2 inchers that I'm still working up to, but that's not really the subject of the poll.

I have found that it's a good idea to carry a couple of band aids (sticking plasters) with me just in case, because sometimes, for reasons that I can't really explain, shoes that I thought were my friends can suddenly turn on me. This happens very infrequently and seemingly randomly, and I'm at a loss to explain it. Perhaps my feet are somehow sensitive to my mood.

I've never had a big mishap, like a heel breaking, but one time when I was walking a good distance in some rather high (nearly 5 inch) "Candies" type mules, both insoles came unglued and started scrunching up under the balls of my feet. There was nothing to be done but suck it up and find the shortest way home. I expect that the maker of the shoes (Steve Madden, the model is "Crunk") never expected anyone to walk any sort of distance in them. They have since been successfully repaired. So far.

As far as having a pair of flats for confidence, just in case I chicken out, that's never been an issue for me, so I did not participate in the poll, as there was no appropriate choice.

My back-up shoes are usually the same height or higher than the ones I'm wearing and are only there if they pinch my toes or a heel breaks.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I wish I'd had a pair of back up shoes recently. I broke a heel (my first, cheap pair of shoes).I should had had a pair of heels for backup. Instead I toughed out the evening with a broken heel.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

You mean like the flats they market such as these?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sidekicks-Foldable-Flats-Medium/dp/B00ENP0Y1I

I have a pair of shoes for the car basically because no need to scuff up things needlessly, that and I prefer consistency for a manual transmission. Heels, make shifting rather more annoying than necessary.

As to the helping or hindering depends on your state of mind and/or situation, whether they are a crutch or a pedestal.

If wearing heels causes you to feel uncomfortable among other people and you aren't ready for public notice, then your back-ups will most likely be the male footwear you have been wearing.

If you are a stealth heeler (wearing blocks or wedges under extra long jeans), you're some what comfortable thinking that people can't see the height of your heels so they wouldn't really notice or care anyway, so a back-up pair is a bit unnecessary. However, if your heels are stilettos in the same mode, you may have some apprehensions should the heel become exposed due to the insufficient length of the jeans, therefore back-up male wear would be at hand.

If you are exposing the heels so that the height can be seen wearing blocks or wedges, the necessity for back-ups would depend on your trust in the quality of the footwear and your ability to go the distance. Stilettos, on the other hand, also depends on your confidence and comfort wearing them publicly and your willingness to deal with the social attitude. Usually the quality of most high heels is really good, except for the heel tips, especially spikes and stilettos. Having a pair of pliers and extra heel tips handy would be preferable over bringing along back-ups, unless you just want the change of height and/or footwear choices. By the remote chance the heels break, come unglued at the seams, or other malfunctions should happen, back-ups would be a welcomed aid.

I find I drive in heels just fine.

Not saying it isn't possible, just that when i'm driving I prefer consistency. That and its just nicer not worrying about scuffing anything needlessly.

As to the helping or hindering depends on your state of mind and/or situation, whether they are a crutch or a pedestal.

If wearing heels causes you to feel uncomfortable among other people and you aren't ready for public notice, then your back-ups will most likely be the male footwear you have been wearing.

If you are a stealth heeler (wearing blocks or wedges under extra long jeans), you're some what comfortable thinking that people can't see the height of your heels so they wouldn't really notice or care anyway, so a back-up pair is a bit unnecessary. However, if your heels are stilettos in the same mode, you may have some apprehensions should the heel become exposed due to the insufficient length of the jeans, therefore back-up male wear would be at hand.

If you are exposing the heels so that the height can be seen wearing blocks or wedges, the necessity for back-ups would depend on your trust in the quality of the footwear and your ability to go the distance. Stilettos, on the other hand, also depends on your confidence and comfort wearing them publicly and your willingness to deal with the social attitude. Usually the quality of most high heels is really good, except for the heel tips, especially spikes and stilettos. Having a pair of pliers and extra heel tips handy would be preferable over bringing along back-ups, unless you just want the change of height and/or footwear choices. By the remote chance the heels break, come unglued at the seams, or other malfunctions should happen, back-ups would be a welcomed aid.

That's all good as it applies to state of mind. But I'm not concerned about that. I'm more concerned about state of feet. I would carry a back-up pair if after a long time in a particular heel, my ankles get tired or my feet hurt or I get a blister - that sort of thing. That would be my reason for taking a second pair of shoes. They would no doubt be women's shoes and probably heels, but maybe lower ones.

Steve

I keep a pair of quick on /off flat  boots in a van and open back sneaker things in the car .

To be used if I have a job I need to do and I cannot ware my heels

Just to be safe in a job situation against any problems

It [....] depends on your confidence and comfort wearing them publicly and your willingness to deal with the social attitude.

Actually this is the only reason why I may have back up shoes, in order to adjust my footwear to the places I go to.

For me, the difference is if I have already the shoes on, I will step outside of the car without a second thought. But if I am driving to my heeling place with "regular men shoes" with my heels in the car, it is another deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the comments here as well as the poll results, it looks like about a 50/50 split….

As for me, I do not carry any "back up" shoes, if I plan to go out in heels, I go out in heels.  

I sometimes carry some flats/flip-flops for the occasional time when the heels are getting uncomfortable ….

Take care all…  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 2 months later...

I'm usually not in need of back-up shoes, but Saturday was an exception, because we were going far away for the day. My wife and I drove from central Ohio north to Lake Erie to visit friends in Marblehead, Ohio. Mostly we just sat and chatted outside. It was a gorgeous day. But I got some heeling in, too!

Last week I received a new pair of White Mountain "Terrace" sandals in "cognac" (brown, really) and I've been enjoying breaking them in. I wore them to work (half mile walk) a couple of days, and I thought I would also wear them Saturday for the drive up to Lake Erie and back. Once there, I planned to change into my Naturalizer black "Tribute" gladiator sandals with a 2.5 inch wedge heel. But we got to the town of Marblehead, stopped at a cafe for brunch, and I decided to leave the Terrace sandals on. I heard no objection from my wife, so that was good.

The sandals are 3.5 inches high, with a platform of 3/4 of an inch. The net rise of 2.75 inches isn't hard to walk in at all, but the platform is kind of stiff, so it was a different feel, and anyone who knows shoes would know these were women's. I was a little self conscious, but figured I didn't know anyone there, so the heeled sandals would not be a problem. I was right. No looks. No stares. No fashion police making arrests. No newsw helicopters overhead. Life was good. 

Then after we finished eating we went over to the nearby lighthouse, in a state park, and met our friends. I kept the Terrace sandals on, and nobody noticed, or if they did, they didn't say anything. If they'd asked, I would have just said they're clog-style sandals and I really like them. Anyway, I wore the sandals ALL day, including to lunch in the afternoon, and for the drive home and I was still wearing them in the evening. I never did switch to my back-up shoes. The new sandals are really fun to wear, comfortable beyond expectations, and a joy to have on my feet. And the fact that my wife didn't object is a real bonus. It gave me a lot of courage to wear them out to other places more often, too.

I wouldn't have found them if Bluejay hadn't mentioned them, and for $20 at 6pm.com, they're a super bargain! I wore them Sunday to breakfast with friends at the local coffee house. And I wore them last night to a Mexican restaurant with friends of ours. They're still on my feet today at the office! And although I have back-up shoes at the office, I have no intention of changing into them. These are too much fun! Last night I ordered another pair in black!

Steve

I'd wear the brown sandales all day too. I picked up a pair of strappy clog style sandals at DSW earlier this year, and I found them to work well with very little comment. They are noisy since they are a solid wood appearing sandal. but I love them in the summer.

I usually have a back up pair in the car/truck just because. I  sometimes wear my work boots till I'm away from town. There is no way I'm going to wear heels in a town where even the women don't. Just too many neanderthal thinking folks, but when I'm out beyond the local area, the heels come out. When I travel, the heels got lots of street time.

Regardless, there is usually a pair of work style boots around for those times when heels are not a good idea.

Work shoes yes back up not really even then they are in the 2-3" region or block heels. Flat sandals or trainers depending on the weather/location.

thin heels on soft grass or sand or climb over rocks, lets be serious!

Horses for courses.

Al

Usually when I go into the city ( closest one) which is 3 hours away, I'll take a couple of pairs of shoes along because I'll spend a day or 2 there and doing a whole lot of different things so I am always prepared. Coming into winter I take extra because it can be snowing where I am and in the city it can be warm and clear so having back ups allows me more heeling time that normal. During summer just having a couple of pairs gives me more options when I do a city trip. If did not take back ups I would be in outdoor boots all the time given my rural locality ( home) and not the city where it is good heeling.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned that lesson years ago, Toger004. Now I always carry a extra pair along where ever I go. My feet quickly tire wearing "7" inch heels and occasionally I even have to change out of my 6" heels for one reason or another. So a great looking pair of 4"heel penny loafer style shoes can come in mighty handy. Judging from yesterdays weather reports of St. Louis' weather, walking anywhere without shoes would have been difficultly uncomfortable and highly memorable, to say the least.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.