Men Wearing Heels At Malls - A Challenge

Heelster

We should all wear what makes us feel comfortable and ourselves. Over the years i have more and more comfortable with that.  Recently i was wearing high heeled oxford type shoeties and cropped jeans on a sunny and mild winter day, decided to stop into a Starbucks and work for a while.

On the way in, this 30ish couple actually laughed very quietly at me and i'm about 80% sure took a picture of me in line. Now this is something i'd expect from a teen but adults? go figure. The lady was later heard to say " you are so bad for posting that" Now again, might not have been me, but pretty sure it was. I don't really see that sort of interaction as negative or producing shame anymore. Like you say, we all need to pave the way for others in all the little ways that we can.

I just came back from a few days away which the Misses and I spent in and around the Bay area of California. I wore a pair of platform heeled mid-calf boots and/or a pair of platform booties each day while there. The first day we visited a mall I used to spend lots time at, the Stanford shopping center in Palo Alto, wore my boots that day which are certainly noticeable to anyone who paid attenion, did receive some glances but no interactions. Checked out Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom's as well as a several other stores. Then walked around in downtown Palo Alto as well, nice shops. Second day we were at the Monterray Aquarium and the old downtown part of the city. We visited many places and enjoyed lunch out there too. No coments or attenion by anyone, it was quite busy so I did not stand out but fit right in with many others. Next day we did a morning at the Santa Cruz walking mall before driving north, again enjoyed shops and book stores. In one Sock and Shoe store some of the young women working there did notice my booties but said nothing, were very helpful with our shopping interests. Then a day in San Francisco with nothing but but being able wear what I wanted, it was awesome. During that whole time I was on the outlook for any other men wearing any heeled footwear, looking for our fellow member SF but did not see him either. So I took the challenge but did not see any other guys in heels, great trip and enjoyed our time there. I will still keep looking each time I go out, keeping an eagle eye for any of you that would be out enjoying your heels. I do look for you Bionicbabe in Calgary but have seen you either.

Good to hear mtnsofheels:

Sometimes I get the feeling we here at HHP are the sole wearers of high heels as men, but last time I talked with the girls who work in the malls, we are obviously missing something. I asked them when the usually saw these guys we can't find, and they claim "it's usually in the morning just after the malls open" so I guess we will have to keep a lookout.

mtnsofheels, Glad to see you enjoyed your time in the Bay Area of California. San Francisco is my favorite US city and I treasure the 15 months I lived there in 1981-82. Was out there in 2012 and 2013 with family and went to several sports events. You can wear heels anywhere there but they should be able to grip the pavement because of the terrain.

I was in Vancouver last year with my family visited a good friend (local indep musician named Norine Braun) and had a wonderful time. I saw one CD crossing Granville Street but no guys wearing heels. It is next to impossible to just happen to see one even when you are looking while walking. You really have to be sitting down somewhere watching people go by. I think all of us here just need to PM each other when we know when we'll be in a certain city and do things like that. I believe member SF actually lives in the Central Valley somewhere and not on the SF peninsula.

I must say, mtnofheels, that Stanley Park is absolutely a gem! Amazing urban repose in an outstandng city. It does Canada proud. Thanks for sharing your SF adventure. HappyinHeels

Thanks for reading about my recent trip Happy in Heels and Heelster. Love travelling and wearing heels no less, great combo. I agree, really hard to get a chance sighting of a fellow heel wearer on a travel trip, but I still check everyone out. Vancouver is a good spot for heeling for sure, I go there several times a year and certainly walk around Stanley Park, yes a real gem! It is great going to other cities and seeing what there is for sights and of course shopping.

Yes that is a great idea for putting out a note prior to going to other centers to see if one could meet up with other heeling members. Will keep in mind for my next adventures.

Cheers guys!

Hey, guys, I'm glad to hear that about Vancouver. We'll be going there for a week at the end of August and start of September, 2015, along with another couple, friends of ours from Scotland. He's a heeler (though not in public) and lurks here occasionally. I'm sure shoe shopping will be on the itinerary! We're looking forward to it. Any heelers from Vancouver want to meet up with us?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Mtnsofheels…..  Hey, sorry i missed you!!  I was outta town for two weeks beginning on Feb 27.  I have worn heels at ALL of the places you mentioned.  Three weeks ago, I was at the Stanford Shopping Center, and visited the Nordy's and Neiman Marcus stores!!  

Never had a problem at any of those places, once at Stanford I actually had a gal tell me that my shoes were "beautiful" and wanted to know where she could get a pair!   

Glad you had fun, sorry I missed you!!  I wonder if the folks in PA wonder if they are being invaded by guys in heels!!  

Take care….  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 2 weeks later...

First time i wore heels to the mall in three inch block zip booties. The cheap manmade sole and click clack heard on the floors of the mall was funny. Seen many woman lifting their heads up browsing while i approached passing them by. Seen a soccer mom with her teenage kids notice me as i entered the apple store at the mall.

She looked upon first my thighs at first at my jeggings, then moved her head further down to my booties. The expression in her face of shock, staring at my legs humorous but the eyeball popping gaze at my booties funny. Then as she passed she wasn't sure i was wearing heels from the front profile but paused along side and behind me to look for sure their were heels i had on. All a while pretending to wait for her kids to catch up but they weren't far behind.

Sure i got some giggles and shaking of heads from a man and his young son but that soon passed. Didn't bother me none because i didn't care or want their opinion. 

Overall uneventful seen a few young good looking single females shoppers walk by, looking me over as we walked in opposite directions with little expression except some intrigue. 

While doing this many more times at shopping box stores waiting in line at Costco heard some comments about my attire. Do notice wearing heels i get cashiers being more polite and friendly with me. Don't know if they noticed my heels walking in the store or not or that the extra height in heels woman find me more appealing, don't know. Yet having fun seeing everyones fun  reactions or just not noticing i'm wearing any heels at all.

Sorry to hear of your negative responses Macky, but I am so envious of your amazing attitude!  I wore my new Frye "cowboy booties" with three inch heels while out at a swap meet for the entire day, it felt so great!  I know how you feel about the "click-clack" of some boots, these fryes are almost silent eliminating the noise that causes me to be self conscious.  I wore the boots with regular levis, the heels were fully visible.  I don't know if anyone noticed, I think they did, and was hoping they would.  But, there was no responses either way.  No, these certainly aren't the 5" thigh boots I would love to wear publicly, but nice boots just the same. 

On my way home that night, I happened upon a guy in cowboy boots and leather jacket in one of the rest areas on the highway.  Needless to say, I circled around to have another look.  I probably was guilty of lingering a bit, he left quickly, but I saw him look at my boots.  I guess I was a little over "boot confident"!

Love the idea of some sort of bulletin board talking about travel plans, I travel the US extensively and am always looking to meet up with fellow bootmen.  Don 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRYE-Billy-Short-Leather-Sand-Grey-Low-Cowboy-Boot-Womens-Size-11M-New-in-box-/281589209682?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=qLgp9MtoggdPAAe135GSnJVE2Kk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thanks pebblesf, what is so amazing being confident what I wear? If I thought looking terrible I than would run and hide. Indeed I must be doing something right hearing couple comments at the store and mall.

One comment was while I stood on a escalator at the department store and two woman were standing ten feet behind me. Thought initially I would get mocked but wasn't like that. Heard one woman point me out to the other. Saying take a look at that, ain't that interesting. As I got to the top walking off as silence among the two woman the same woman added. He sure looks very fit wearing them well. Being I had on painted on super skinny tight jeans with a short leather jacket and my ankle booties with three inch block heel.

Another time standing in line at a store. Woman behind me began to whisper to her husband about how I look. In fact she mentioned I dressed very well. While the husband replied back, ya if your gay! She then scolded the husband for saying that.

Sorry to hear of your negative responses Macky, 

Negative? What was so negative?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Had a great day with my wife today. We decided to take a short trip to alarger center to do some shopping. I put my black knee high boots with 5 1/2 heels. Already wore them out to get us coffee at the local drive through so I decided to leave them on. I felt pretty good with my skinny jeans and leather jacket. I enjoy driving in my heels and my is very understanding. The problem is that our community is small and even when you go anywheres you run into people you know. My wife agreed that if we were in a large city no one would ever notice. It must be very liberating. I took the high road and changed my footwear in the mall parking lot. It still was a great day because I found two fabulous pairs of shoes! And they were a great deal. I must say as soon as I was back in the car I was in my boots. May not have got to the public appearance of my boots yet but a sunny day with a fabulous lady and great conversations trump everything. "I don't always wear heals....but when I do....they are platforms"

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the mall wearing my Sam Edelman putty ankle booties. As I had on spring themed coloured clothing walking into the doors of the mall. Out came a female dressed in black leggings wearing exact same and color booties as mine. She was walking passed I stared down to get a better look, doubt she noticed me but looked a bit in a hurry and angry. Maybe she couldn't find anything she liked walking out empty handed. Or she noticed my tight twill j-brand garrison cargo pants that made her feel drab wearing black.

Who knows if she noticed me or not but not uncommon finding some attitudes angry seeing a guy wear something they would or love to wear. Funny emotion jealousy or envy that angers woman not getting what they want.

I was out shopping over the weekend in my boots, and didn't even get anything like a response - - - Nobody noticed.

Had to sit and wait awhile in one mall, so I watched people on two levels of the mall. Only two pairs of heels in 25 minutes. Everything else was flats, sneakers and Ugg variants.

Oh well

I was out shopping over the weekend in my boots, and didn't even get anything like a response - - - Nobody noticed.

Had to sit and wait awhile in one mall, so I watched people on two levels of the mall. Only two pairs of heels in 25 minutes. Everything else was flats, sneakers and Ugg variants.

Oh well

Yeah, two pair of heels in 25 minutes - and you were probably fortunate to see that many.  My how the times have changed.  Years ago, the mall was a great place to go to see the ladies in their heels.  Now, I wonder why the stores have such large displays of heels, because I never see anyone wearing them!  Do they buy them and stick them in the closet just to look at?  Maybe they wear them at  work, but not before and after work or in transit?  Even in church on this past Easter Sunday, there was one girl out of maybe 50 that wore what I would consider to be dress heels.  Just call me old and grumpy I guess, but I sure do miss the girls in heels.

If you ever wind up in Sacramento, CA go to the Galleria mall in Roseville. Beautiful women, beautifully dressed, many of whom are wearing heels. Been there two dozen times at least since last August and I'm never disappointed.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Yeah, two pair of heels in 25 minutes - and you were probably fortunate to see that many.  My how the times have changed.  Years ago, the mall was a great place to go to see the ladies in their heels.  Now, I wonder why the stores have such large displays of heels, because I never see anyone wearing them!  Do they buy them and stick them in the closet just to look at?  Maybe they wear them at  work, but not before and after work or in transit?  Even in church on this past Easter Sunday, there was one girl out of maybe 50 that wore what I would consider to be dress heels.  Just call me old and grumpy I guess, but I sure do miss the girls in heels.

Your observation is very close to what I saw also last Sunday.  For the most part, so many of the youth were in canvas Converse, The adults had mostly "not even pretty" flats.  Too bad.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Oh well

Just wait until spring really kicks in and pretty much EVERY female is wearing those dreaded flip-flops. Urgh!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Just wait until spring really kicks in and pretty much EVERY female is wearing those dreaded flip-flops. Urgh!

Spring nothing - - - if the snow is gone, the flip flops are on.

At least most of the school districts around me have banned them during school.

Your observation is very close to what I saw also last Sunday.  For the most part, so many of the youth were in canvas Converse, The adults had mostly "not even pretty" flats.  Too bad.

Yes, it is very sad.  

I was to the mall with my gf today. She was wearing some peeptoes with 11cm heels. Furthermore one woman was wearing some real nice nude pumps with high heels. For the rest flats and wedges/ 3-6cm heeled booties. So not that bad around here.

Agree - Here in Oregon its not exactly a "formal" part of the US such as New York, Chicago etc. It's the laid back northwest and i see heels of some sort on women every day. A person working in the office group across from mine today, high heeled boots, as an example.

Last week was the first time I actually faced my fears and went to the mall in high heel wedges. I know I got some looks but it really wasn't bad at all. I think what helped is that the heels I had were quiet and black. I wish I my good friend who knows was with me then I would have been a little easier but I still had a great time. I loved walking into the shoe stores trying on heels in heels.

Busy malls seem pretty easy to get out and about. As we have seen before, most are too busy to care about what your wearing. I still rarely see anybody in heels out and about unless your out at the bar seen somewhere.

No other guys in heels as of yet - - but I am watching.

• 2 weeks later...

meels85,

Yes malls are good places to wear heels particularly when they are crowded. The downtown areas (city centres) of large cities are even better as there are higher-end stores and higher-end people around you and nice heels just blend in with everything going on. I have worn wedges, pumps, and boots to malls but have my highest heels in large downtown areas and always enjoyed it.

If you wore wedges to a mall on the first outing then you are soooooooooo   past your "fears". Wearing higher and more obvious heels proves you have the nads to face the world on your terms which is the only way it should be.   HappyinHeels

Seems to me that looking at what type of heels that everyone else is wearing would be the way to go. It would blend in with the current surroundings. I have worn heels to the mall before and out my way we have plenty of people watchers just sitting and lurking. Don't think you will go unnoticed, because they are watching. Probably won't say anything, but defiantly watching. We all know that all to familiar sound and so does most everyone else. I say just own your look and be confident in your presentation and enjoy the thing we all so enjoy

I am jealous of my wife. She is 5'2" so when she goes to the mall she wears here heels usually 4-5 inch heels. And she looks great wraring them. I am 6'1" without heels and all my heels are 4-7 inch heels. My height with heels would me make me stand out even more. Having trouble getting over that " first hurdle". Otherwise when I am home after work I can not wait to wear my heels.