Men Wearing Heels At Malls - A Challenge

Heelster

Can't say I've ever looked at what kind of shoes men are wearing, but whenever I hear the telltale sounds of clicking heels I always watch. And thusfar it never EVER was a man. Then again sometimes the sounds that make you think wow, here comes something spectacular turn out to be a pair of disappointing flats.

What you say is true, Chorlini. I myself don't look at men's shoes. This guy I saw caught my attention because he was very thin and I thought he was a woman. If I realized he was a man probably I wouldn't look what he was wearing.

I just went to our mall to get a pair of earrings fixed at Kay's and then walked around dicks sporting looking for some 22 ammo wearing a pair of 4" heelsattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Awesome boots!  I have a similar pair, but have never worn them out.  Still trying to muster up the courage...

Being that it is October, and the push regarding wearing pink for Breast Cancer Awareness, I'm contemplating buying a pink 'awareness ' shirt, and wear that in combination w th a pair of black skinny jeans, and a pair of pink round toe stiletto's to a mall I will be passing by this weekend, Should be an interesting outing.

I also have a pair of pink and black strappy 'jack stands' that would scream "look at me" that might be interesting, but I have to wonder how well I can walk on super smooth floors in this combo.

Heelster, the pink sounds fun!  I have wanted an occasion to wear pink heels.  I guess I have to get the pink heels first and the pickings in size 12 have been un-amazing.

Regarding the couple posts about being in DSW in heels I had a surprisingly "so, so" experience in DSW that may have been better had I been wearing heels.  I started looking down the aisles with some nice stiletto pumps and some wedge sandals.  As expected I didn't find any boxes showing a size 12 and I was a little surprised that I found no size 11 shoes either.  I got a couple of uneasy looks while in the aisle though I thought I projected confidence.  Then I went back to the shelves in the back with clearance shoes.  This was a new store however I have seen a pair or two of 12 back there in other stores.  There weren't any.  Then a female clerk in her mid-twenties approached me kind of uncomfortably leaning her way in to check in on me.  She asked if she could help and yes, I am looking for heels in size 12.  She kind of hummed and said something like, "Yeah, you are probably not going to find too many size 12 heels anywhere.  That is just an unusually large size."  I thought, "Wow!"  It was a new store however I wouldn't expect a sales associate that under trained and unprepared for somebody asking about size 12 heels.  Had I been wearing a pair perhaps it could have been educational for her.

Best,

Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Heelster, the pink sounds fun!  I have wanted an occasion to wear pink heels.  I guess I have to get the pink heels first and the pickings in size 12 have been un-amazing.

Regarding the couple posts about being in DSW in heels I had a surprisingly "so, so" experience in DSW that may have been better had I been wearing heels.  I started looking down the aisles with some nice stiletto pumps and some wedge sandals.  As expected I didn't find any boxes showing a size 12 and I was a little surprised that I found no size 11 shoes either.  I got a couple of uneasy looks while in the aisle though I thought I projected confidence.  Then I went back to the shelves in the back with clearance shoes.  This was a new store however I have seen a pair or two of 12 back there in other stores.  There weren't any.  Then a female clerk in her mid-twenties approached me kind of uncomfortably leaning her way in to check in on me.  She asked if she could help and yes, I am looking for heels in size 12.  She kind of hummed and said something like, "Yeah, you are probably not going to find too many size 12 heels anywhere.  That is just an unusually large size."  I thought, "Wow!"  It was a new store however I wouldn't expect a sales associate that under trained and unprepared for somebody asking about size 12 heels.  Had I been wearing a pair perhaps it could have been educational for her.

Best,

Larry

I find dsw to be hit or miss. One of my favorite times was I got a very uneasy male associate that seemed to have to wait on me. So I picked the most stiletto-y and crazy high heels ever. I think he was more freaked out than I was. Granted I wear size 9-10 depending on the brand but needless to say its rather fun to troll people in person. Or maybe I'm sadistic, one of the two either way. >.<

I've also gotten phone numbers and compliments from the female associates because they just said its fun to see guys that enjoy shoes. So, I had a point with this post I'm sure but yeah, the unexperienced employees can be hella fun to break in is I think the point. And as guys wearing heels, its your duty to do so.

Being that it is October, and the push regarding wearing pink for Breast Cancer Awareness, I'm contemplating buying a pink 'awareness ' shirt, and wear that in combination w th a pair of black skinny jeans, and a pair of pink round toe stiletto's to a mall I will be passing by this weekend, Should be an interesting outing.

I also have a pair of pink and black strappy 'jack stands' that would scream "look at me" that might be interesting, but I have to wonder how well I can walk on super smooth floors in this combo.

Heelster,

On Sunday, I wore my bright pink polo shirt with the Breast Cancer Awareness ribbon embroidered on the shirt, with off white dress pants and my Payless, "Karmen" pumps in bright pink. I also had a matching cross body bag in the same bright pink color. I liked the look and so did several women that commented on my color choice, for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I even got a thank-you from one woman, for wearing pink.

I enjoyed myself out shopping,at the supermarket, Macy's and Penny's in the mall.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I find dsw to be hit or miss. One of my favorite times was I got a very uneasy male associate that seemed to have to wait on me. So I picked the most stiletto-y and crazy high heels ever. I think he was more freaked out than I was. Granted I wear size 9-10 depending on the brand but needless to say its rather fun to troll people in person. Or maybe I'm sadistic, one of the two either way. >.<

I've also gotten phone numbers and compliments from the female associates because they just said its fun to see guys that enjoy shoes. So, I had a point with this post I'm sure but yeah, the unexperienced employees can be hella fun to break in is I think the point. And as guys wearing heels, its your duty to do so.

Saudade,

Yeah, in 12 I find it to be a lot more miss than hit.  They display a lot of great styles though so it can be fun (though also slightly depressing) to browse.

I do enjoy talking to the new sales person with a smiling, confident face acting like what I am doing is the most natural thing in the world.  Usually that gets me favorable results.  This gal was just so weirded out that she kind made me feel uncomfortable.  I suppose that the shoe was on the other foot at that point.

Best,

Larry

Heelster, maybe you should join in one of the many Breast Cancer walks wearing that outfit!

Heelster, maybe you should join in one of the many Breast Cancer walks wearing that outfit!

There are none nearby - - Haven't looked south of me, but it all depends on my schedule, and at the time, it's a monsterous dartboard - - and I feel like I'm running blind.

I don't often find anything at DSW, but I always enjoy looking anyway. I tend to do better online. I have seen some shoes there in Size 11, but rarely in 12 - mostly in the clearance racks, and for good reason. I can usually wear an 11 in backless shoes (clogs, sandals, slings) but for closed back shoes (pumps, loafers, boots) I normally need a 12.

Steve

• 2 months later...

For the first time I've seen a man (other than myself) in a mall wearing high heels. This was yesterday in Guildford Town Centre in Surrey, a suburb city in the greater Vancouver area. He was a tall man, dressed in regular male clothing, but wearing a pair of stiletto sandals with about 4 inch heels, as far as I could see. We passed each other, and he glanced down at what I was wearing (a pair of mules with tapered fairly noisy heels about 3 1/2 inches high). I saw him go into a Payless store. A while later I saw him again at the checkout in an Aldo show store. I wonder if he is a member here?

Himark….  Nice spot, too bad you did not get to speak with the guy.  

I am still looking for another guy in heels.  So far the only other guy that I have seen wearing heels is ME, when I pass by a mirror!!  

adios all…   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I don't know about seeing men in heels in my local malls. As someone who loves looking at women wearing heels it would be nice to even see these wearing heels almost anywhere in this city.

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen one kid wearing girls flats and skinny jeans. I am 99% sure it was a boy. He was with his family.

One other time I saw a man and a woman both riding motorcycles. They looked like they had on matching boots with a 2 or 2.5 inch chunky heel.

I am sure there are many many men out there that just keep it hidden.

I have seen other men shopping for woman's shoes. I remember seeing one guy that looked like he just got off work from construction and was shopping. He really looked like he was shopping for himself.

I have only seen maybe one or 2 CD's out in public. Was not too impressed with what I saw.

I try to avoid malls just because of people watchers. Does not mean I don't go but now I don't have to go anywhere "just" to walk around in heels.

I tend to wear the same things every day. Girl outfit with the Heels, boots, booties, flats, sandals and converses - they are all women's. I have only a few pair of male shoes. So any trip to the mall will find me in one of the former. I was in a mall in booties about 10 days ago, 

I do tend to see more CD's, and/or Transgender people even in the two college cities i frequent and they are not huge cities. In Portland, Oregon i think you see more people still. Perhaps it is a west coast thing? I think most people dress for themselves, regardless of how others process what they are wearing. Do people want to fit in and be appreciated by others?, for sure but you have to do what your are comfortable with and i guess from a TG perspective, at times that means you look like a " guy in a dress " 

I was out to a few shopping places last weekend in a couple different boots - all with heels that were pretty obvious. I know I cought a few glances, but most seem to disregard it completely.

I still haven't seen any guys in heels, and as for TG - if there has been, they were good at it. I know I could never pull off anything 'tranny style" and I'm not even considering that. A good pair of womens jeans and heels is about as far as I'm going to go. Don't see the need for dresses and wigs etc,

Now if it's 100+ degrees outside, and I gotta be out in it at home, I'll do a denim mini skirt - - - 

I was out earlier today in skinny jeans and flats. Im not sure if any one noticed or not at least no one was obvious about it. In retrospect i have seen very few guys out in heels or womens clothes (other than jeans) at the mall. One time I ran into an other HHplace member at nordstrom.

• Like 1

I have recently been wearing my Born booties with 3" heels quite a bit when shopping.  Malls, grocery stores, department stores, etc.  I tend to wear longer jeans that cover much of the shoe, but it is still apparent that they are heels, and the heel, while chunky, is still tapered and thinner than that which would be found on a typical mans styled shoe.  Have I been noticed?  Yeah, I probably have been on more than one occasion.  I know that the last time I was in the grocery store my shoes must have been noticed.  There were two employees discussing something on the shelves and they were looking at the lower shelves as I walked by.  Nothing said there, but in the next aisle, a third employee comes walking along, and it is obvious to me that he is looking at my shoes.  No comments, of course, but certainly noticed.  And you know what?  The world didn't end...imagine that!  While I'd love to go out in the pair in my avatar, that's just not going to happen.  At 64 years old, even most women wouldn't wear those any more...lol!  But I do enjoy my outings in the blockier, and obviously less noticable heels, and I still enjoy that, though I must admit that real thrill I used to get from actually being out walking around in heels has lessened.  Now it's just enjoying heels without the "wow, I'm wearing heels" factor.

While I'd love to go out in the pair in my avatar, that's just not going to happen.  At 64 years old, even most women wouldn't wear those any more...lol! 

Hmmm,  at 64 how much longer are you going to wait?

With longer jeans that cover most of the shoe, you won't attract any more notice than the Born booties with 3" heels.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hmmm,  at 64 how much longer are you going to wait?

With longer jeans that cover most of the shoe, you won't attract any more notice than the Born booties with 3" heels.

Yeah, I can;t quite agree with you on that one.  Black patent, pointed toes and stiletto heels are going to stand out quite a bot more than a shoe that you would have to look twice at to see that it was a pair of heels.  Not only that, my walk would be alot different in those 4" spike heels than in the 3" chunky heels,  

Howdy,

I took up the challenge.  I made a long post about it a couple months ago.  My experience kind of sucked however it was pretty much my fault.  I would like to give it another shot.

My advice, if you are considering taking up the challenge, would be to go to the mall with some planned purchases and go to an up-scale mall.

Best,

Larry

Howdy,

I took up the challenge.  I made a long post about it a couple months ago.  My experience kind of sucked however it was pretty much my fault.  I would like to give it another shot.

My advice, if you are considering taking up the challenge, would be to go to the mall with some planned purchases and go to an up-scale mall.

Best,

Larry

I would agree with the 'upscale Mall' idea. Some of the local (OK, 30 miles away is local) are not the best option for me. Nobody wears heels of any kind including the sales help. I tend to go to bigger malls and shopping areas in bigger metro areas if I do go out in heels.

Wore heels to two malls recently - one last week, in heeled Nine West booties and one this week in heeled Franco Sarto booties. Wore with skinny jeans in both instances and in the carried a bag/purse. The first mall is in a VERY conservative area of the country and the 2nd in a VERY liberal area of the country (home). In both instances i received customary looks and double takes, but nothing negative.

In the latter case, i was with my wife and she was wearing heeled boots. We commented on the sound of us both crossing the floor :)

So you wore heels that you considered would be somewhat accepted should you be seen wearing them, but you didn't wear the types of heels you prioritized as #1. I guess that is kind of steps forward and activities to be commended. Certainly, guys wearing any heels in public helps to further improve the path for more open occurrences. Wearing high heels in secret is totally a self indulgent activity, which could be viewed as acts of shame and somewhat belittles the wearer of which I have participated. Wouldn't it be more freeing and life stabilizing to wear the heels you preferred the most anywhere you want. You wouldn't have to keep wondering and looking over your shoulder about becoming revealed. Life is already full of stresses that experts say shortens and diminishes the length of ones life expectancy. Why must the desire to wear high heels be one of the stresses instead of total exhilaration, tranquilly comforting, and improving the quality of your life. Just think, you would actually be satisfying a need your personality has developed from the being you are and creating a better understanding of what makes people really love to live, instead of making it through another day kind of outlook.