Deceiving Footwear Ads In Our Favour!

NewfieGuyInHeels

We've done this to death.

"Menswear" is a style rather like "boho" or "Punk"...

These styles are not aimed at men nor intended to be worn by men.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I know it's just a term put on the style, but I still chuckle when I see it. But i also think it's sad you never see "womenswear for him" or "the girlfriend jean" If I see an ad instore, I'm so trying them on and just pointing out they're menswear lol

I have a pair of the Black Javelin 13M and a Brown pair in 12W.  Bothe are good but the Brown pair are just thge best fitting heels I have or ever have had.  They are the one I plan to use when the nerve comes up to par with the will to go shopping again at Payless.  I figure there can't be a better place to do that. 

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

This idea opens the door to consider that turn-about is fair play. These menswear advertisements are great in finding outfits that anyone may select from. The fact that they often have high heels while modeling is another plus to get a better perspective as to how they will look as men in heels wear them. The same thing goes for choosing any outfit - you have to be comfortable in it and it has to look good on you. Like breaking in a new pair of heels, it is probably best to wear an outfit around the house before going out to fully appreciate its qualities and the way it fits.

Levis had the ex-girlfriend jean.

I stand corrected! I even like the fit!

I agree with Histiletto. These men's inspired shoes do give us a good idea of what (socially) men's footwear would look like with heels. I just posted a pic in the Freestyle Fashion thread, incorporating my grey suede brogues.

• 8 months later...

I see two good things going here; first is that it is Nordstroms (the pinnacle of friendly customer service) and the second is that it is a pair of wedges! It is that time of year when the spring styles are flooding the stores so get out there and start shopping! HappyinHeels

For those reading this forum whose native language is not English, a word of explanation may be in order. Where the ad says, "You guys..." it is NOT talking about men. In common usage today, "you guys" can mean a group of men, a group of women, or a group of both men and women. "Guys" means the same as "folks" or "people" in this context and does not denote male gender.

Another interpretation is that Nordstrom is indeed addressing men, but suggesting that men might want to buy these shoes for their women.

While you men may want to read something into it, Nordstrom is not blatantly saying that men should wear these shoes. But on the other foot, if men buy these shoes for themselves, it is assumed that Nordstrom will still accept their money!

Steve

It also strikes me that ads for high heeled shoes almost always label them as "Womens," as if we wouldn't know that if we weren't told.  Maybe they should stop labeling them and see if sales go up?

Pumps,

I think that is wishful thinking. If they were really interested in attracting men to women's styles (and believe me, I wish they would as much as you do), they would make the advertising more blatant (with pics of guys wearing wedges) and offer them in men's sizes and put them in the men's section.

Men wore wedges and block heels in the 1970s. It would be nice if Nordstrom would promote a fashion trend in that direction once again!

Steve

Indeed. They would need to be blatant if selling to men was really their intention. Subliminal would be an utter waste of time and money.

I would not bet on it. This way they can advertise to men, with some deniability if they get too much B.S. for the add. If the add were more blatant they might catch some flack from customers. this way they can deny.

For those reading this forum whose native language is not English, a word of explanation may be in order. Where the ad says, "You guys..." it is NOT talking about men. In common usage today, "you guys" can mean a group of men, a group of women, or a group of both men and women. "Guys" means the same as "folks" or "people" in this context and does not denote male gender.

Another interpretation is that Nordstrom is indeed addressing men, but suggesting that men might want to buy these shoes for their women.

While you men may want to read something into it, Nordstrom is not blatantly saying that men should wear these shoes. But on the other foot, if men buy these shoes for themselves, it is assumed that Nordstrom will still accept their money!

Steve

My native language is most certainly English - proper 'English'  English - and, whilst I certainly understand the common usage of 'guys' to refer to a group of men or a mixed group, I deprecate it - at least when used in the UK.   That is especially true when used to address or describe a group of females.  :frown:

Sorry, but 'guy' is an unnecessarily imported term in the singular and additionally imprecise in the plural (as the advert shows).   In UK-speak, we have (in addition to the obvious 'man') 'bloke' for down-to-earth purposes, or such terms as 'chap' or 'fellow' for rather more affected company; and 'people' (or the slightly old-fashioned 'folks') is fine for a group, mixed or otherwise.    :drillsergeant:

Not for the first time, I recall Churchill's reference to 'two nations divided by a common language'.   

Vans listed their wedge sneakers unisex, and had men's and women's sizing on the boxes, but I've only seen one review from a guy who bought them 'by accident'.

(formerly known as "JimC")

I too have seen the Converse with Men's size and Women's size listed on the same box.  Why not, they truly are the same style.  I bought a pair of "women's sneakers" at Payless on clearance for $6.00 while the very same "men's" was almost $30. 

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.