Someone Was Looking

Or maybe, we hope this is NOT one of us. I like to think we engender (pun intended) a sense of style on this website which will help promote the idea that men can look good in heels. This guy really does look like he slipped on the wrong shoes by mistake. He looks like he's getting ready to mow the lawn, except for what appear to be pretty awesome wedge sandals. He looks like he lost a bet. I don't mean to sound overly harsh, but I truly believe that every dude who goes out looking like this damages our cause. This wouldn't even look good on a chick. I am certainly open to rebuttal.

I don't know what you wear in Iowa, but shorts and T-shirt is pretty average for summer in California, whether you are mowing the lawn, going to the store, or going out to dinner.  Same in Hawaii, even at a nice restaurant.  One would hope for a collared shirt, but not always the case.

Yes, t-shirt and shorts is fine for doing whatever. Ill-fitting t-shirts, ratty shorts and *heels* will get you laughed at, particularly if you're a guy.

I most definitely agree with everything you have said. Wearing heels means stepping up your game, big time.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

For a community that advocates fashion freedom, are we not being remarkably judgemental here?

Sure, it's a more casual outfit than I might choose to wear, but maybe it suits his build better than a more feminine style, the wedges probably also suit him better than some dainty stilettos, and he's seemingly made the effort not to be parading hairy legs around. Asides from all that, he looks totally relaxed going about his day-to-day business. I don't see the "damage to the cause" just because he's expressing himself differently to how I might.

If we're going to complain about peoples prejudice towards guys in heels, surely we need to eliminate prejudice altogether, not just simply shift the line so we can point fingers at others.

If you like it, wear it.

I gotta agree with Sleek here. We ourselves are quite a motley assortment of varied heeling interests and experiences. He's confidently out and about in a fashion style of his own, which includes women's heels. Let's celebrate that and invite him in.

This guy looks like he lost a bet.

As time goes on, I feel less and less sympathetic to those complaining about having no acceptance. You do not earn it by dressing like this guy.

Which would you rather be known as, the guy who wears high heels or the guy who looks good and dresses well.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

From my personal perspective, I like wearing my heels with quite conventional notions of style that usually come from the womenswear department. So in one way I'm conforming to conventional styles, but in another way I'm going against convention by presenting those styles as a guy.

While that's the personal expression I like, when I'm wearing a more "feminine" styles (like a skirt or dress), although I'm still presenting myself as a guy I sometimes get the feeling that I'm making it easy for people to perceive me as a guy trying to pretend to be a woman; therefore they miss the point about the fashion freedom of a guy in heels.

I sometimes choose to tone down the femininity by wearing male-inspired womenswear (like trousers, shirts, etc) because it projects the image of a guy in heels more strongly, and that's an expression I'm happy with. Personally I don't feel so much affinity with the contrast of traditional menswear with heels, so I don't choose to project that image, but I can see how others who do project that contrast are also challenging the gender conventions and advocating fashion freedom in their own way, and I support that, even if I wouldn't choose to dress that way myself.

I agree with what you say that this guy may find it harder to gain acceptance, but maybe that's precisely what makes it a more powerful challenge to convention, because he's harder to pigeon-hole into the exisiting stereotypes. Ultimately it's our collective diversity that's the most effective challenge because it redefines the generalisation that all guys in heels are the same.

If you like it, wear it.

As I see it, if he's comfortable with his casual wear choice, fine by me.

I know I wouldn't choose that combo for myself. My legs look like I got hit by hockey sticks way too often. I may wear some really crappy looking jeans, but shorts?? - - don't like them especially that long.

• 2 weeks later...

I see I have struck a nerve, or at least started a conversation because of my comments. And I can't say that this has been a bad thing. I have thought long and hard about my own fashion prejudices, and what it means to be free to wear whatever you want. I am torn--on the one hand, I think we ought not to fault somebody for wearing what they like to wear, but on the other hand, sometimes it looks bloody awful.

Another point to consider is whether the look in the original post is "on purpose." I would like to think that it is not. I'm going to guess that it's either a guy who lost a bet, or a guy with a shoe fetish (really can't fault anybody for that) whose fetish is strictly limited to shoes, and who has an extremely thick skin about it.

I guess what I'm saying is, and maybe to SleekHeels in particular, I haven't changed my mind about the outfit. I still hate it. But thank you for some useful discussion. It has made me think about my attitude toward other people's fashion choices (or lack thereof) a little more carefully. But I would still rather have people look at me and say, "Hey! That guy actually doesn't look too bad!" Or better yet, "Hmmmm.  .  . I wonder if I could wear heels myself, that guy is doing it." No one, but no one is saying that about the subject of this picture.

Personally that is not a very clear picture and those wedges from what I see  are nice  too compliment a nicer out fit. You should have seen me in Payless last week.     I was wearing  Gladiator sandals by Chinese laundry called Clarity I wore Massini Jean shorts and a tied dyed t-shirt   That was the only way too show off my sandals and the nice lady that works there   Said nice heels and I complimented on her cute sandals. We talked for about 10 minutes and I told her I I would come back in about a week and I did but this time I had on boot cut ladies Levis and a nicer shirt and wearing a pair of gladiator sandals  I bought at DSW the day before called Sawien ( these have got to be the most comfortable heels I own) By ALDO. Dressier this time and I had my toenails painted with O.P.I San Tan Antonio She said she really liked my sandals and even some of the ladies that came in to buy shoes  liked my high heels and said I have great taste (made me day) And they all said the nail-polish compimented the sandals (my wife said the nail-polish was bland).   I did go to a place called the Shoe Dept  Wearing the Chinese laundry sandals  and I did see some of the customers there concerned about my appearance( this was when I was wearing the shorts and tie  dyed t-shirt the week before after Payless) They did have smiles on their faces.   I bought a pair of heels there and proceeded to talk with the ladies at the store and they all know about my heel wearing.  So they all asked where I bought those sandals and I told them Zappos and they  said cool!   Anyone that works at a shoie store tends too be interested in different shoes.   But in regards too that picture I have been out in  outfits that look  like that and  could have chosen prettier or trashier foot wear But when you are dressed up you can wear heels and  people tend to accept the look than high heels in shorts (I wear high heels with shorts around the house even when comany is over.   Just ask my wife JJ. Beleive me I would love to go out  dressed up wearing pretty sandals on my feet  My wife tho is concerned about comments  Tho we do go for walks at night and I wear  cute wedges or some lower heeled strappy sandals(always with nailpoish)   Personally I would have worn a different  out-fit with those sandals than what that gentleman was wearing at the U-SCAN Hopefully Joan Rivers does not see that picture  for her fashion?  series at night on E- entertainment I think I strayed off the subject but I  wanted to talk openly  THANK-YOU

Many women do that. Just relax in a comfy pair of corked wedges sandals, simple clothes, and do the bit of grocery shopping they have to do before preparing for the evening, when the real cute iutfit is to be put up. That way they don't stop wearing heels, and don't spend to much time on "utility outings" and savr up for the real thing. And thus keep on practicing with no time lost. Well this guy could also pick a pack of beer for his sausage party you never know.