Chickened Out

My wife set me up for this medical exam that was held at a church. I wore low shoes that have about a 2.5 inch chunky heel that look like mens motorcycle boots. So no problem with the shoes. So I was prepared that I may have to take off my shoes but....not my socks. My toenails were painted black. After I started sweating profusely I managed an excuse to get out and go home and remove the polish. House was just down. The road. The people doing the exam were out of town so I almost just said what the heck, just let them see. Problem was, the table was next to another table so it was not private. Here is the funny part. My wife was there. I told her I did not want to do the rest of the exam. She said just do it, I have already paid. I leaned over and said they want me to take off my shoes and socks. She leaned back and said to the lady, "we gotta go". So I came back and finished the exam.

I wear polish openly FAR more than wear heels in public. I live in sandals in the summer and my toes are polished all year long. Same applys as for the heels, those who notice usually say nothing, those who have it has all been positive. I have had several women tell me they wished that they could get their husbands to take care of their feet.

I have epilepsy and had a seizure once in the shower with my toes painted red. I was unable to get up and the fire and rescue had to get me out. I came to in the ER and the nurse said she liked the color of my toe nails. Being in a small town , I grew up with most of the Fireman and EMS and none of them have ever said a thing to me about my toe nails being polished. My wife later told me she tried to put some socks on me and EMS told her not to. Medical personnel seem like they have seen about everything at some point and nothing really fazes them . Truthfully , I think they were more concerned about my health than my toe nails.  

I got hit by a car riding my bicycle a few yrs back, had my nails polished I think but my socks never came off. it might have been different if I was prepared for it, and If my wife was part of the equation. I may be wrong but I see a lot of replies were people get complements and I always wonder if it is just a way that people let "us" know they noticed out feet.

Several years ago in the late '90s I did Chemistry with a fellow (same small group and lab partner) who was going back for his third degree who maintained a polished pedicure.  He was a successful international businessman and had no problem wearing Tevas (popular open outdoors sandals at that time) to class with his brightly polished toes visible.  People would ask him questions and our lab partner would trade salon and polish information with him however nobody held it against him and our lab partner (a gal) certainly thought it was cool.  The professor sometimes would shake his head but still didn't hold it against him.  He was the top student in the class to they were buddies right off.

At that time I was no where near being open with my heels however if it were now I tend to suspect that I would have attempted to be open about my heels too.  Ahh, shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Best,

Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I got hit by a car riding my bicycle a few yrs back, had my nails polished I think but my socks never came off. it might have been different if I was prepared for it, and If my wife was part of the equation. I may be wrong but I see a lot of replies were people get complements and I always wonder if it is just a way that people let "us" know they noticed out feet.

I think you're projecting here. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Perhaps. I just how people like to laugh at others or make fun of others because it makes them feel better about themselves.

Perhaps. I just how people like to laugh at others or make fun of others because it makes them feel better about themselves.

And the people who give compliments feel better about themselves too :)

If you like it, wear it.

• 4 weeks later...

Medical personnel seem like they have seen about everything at some point and nothing really fazes them . Truthfully , I think they were more concerned about my health than my toe nails.  

I'd say you're correct on both accounts.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.