Green Thumbs ( Gardening ).

I know Shafted has said before he has a garden. I do as well. Im wondering whom all gardens. Be it food or flowers. Maybe window boxes or something to that effect?

I myself grow quite a bit for *myself* outside of what I grow for ' populace consumption ' or for the market.

I presently have about 500 tomato plants, 250 green pepper plants, 100 ' hot ' pepper or spicy pepper plants, a 100x50 foot potato field, 3 apple trees and a greenhouse of my own ( smaller one, 12x10foot ) for herbs ( Parsley, Basil, Chives.. Catnip ;) ).

Anyone else have a ' green thumb ' so to say.

I understand theres probably a few people whom would wish to turn the discussion into something outside of gardening but lets TRY to keep things going on what were growing. :D

-ILK

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I grow in my garden is tired... But seriously we have a nice little garden in the back yard. Not much space, not like what you are talking about - we live in a seaside town in the south of England so no farm sized plots, and it is all flowers and greenery, not edibles, but wonderful to sit out in on nice sunny days. My wife is the gardener though. I mow the lawn and do the heavy stuff, as required. What kinds if chilli peppers do you grow?

Yep! Now that I only work part time, I grow much of my own food and still have leftovers from last year.

This years garden:

60 Early Golden Bantam sweet corn plants

60 white half-runner bean plants

40 spaghetti squash plants

9 Red Pontiac potato plants

9 Kennebec (native) potato plants

9 fingerling potato plants

8 Mary Washington asparagus plants

2 Honeydew melon plants

5 native horseradish plants

1 Macintosh apple tree

1 Honeycrisp apple tree

1 gigantic red stemmed variety rhubarb plant

I still have 4 Tabasco pepper plants to put out and 6 California Wonder pepper plants as well.

I also grow veggies all year round indoors. Currently my hydroponics systems have green onion (white Portugal), turnip (purple top white globe), Swiss chard (Lucullus) and Copenhagen Market cabbage. These hydro systems are all in west facing windows and have no artificial lighting.

Here's a link to my Youtube video showing this years garden.

Oops! Forgot my Roma tomato plant that survived to be transplanted to 5 gallon bucket. And who can forget eating fistfuls of wild raspberries. Also have chives and aloe vera growing in pots.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted : Between wild rasberries, blackberries and wild blueberries, theres enough to fill 6 or 7 bushels right now along one on the field/treelines. Me-needs to get out there and pick some to make Jam with! Theres tiny strawberries but it would take forever to pick enough to make any quantity of jam with.

ShyHeels : "What kinds if chilli peppers do you grow? " I dont have ANY in my plot. The wife and others have them in theirs. ;)

I do have an advantage as I have greenhouses to start my seeds earlier then normal when the growing for the nursery happens.

I think next year I will try to grow some melons. I love watermelon!

I grow swiss Chard in a Growbag all year round outdoors.  It won't crop in December, but that's all.  I had to give up my allotment as it became too much for me.  Only five rods, but I'm not getting any younger.  I miss it sometimes.

I have a small plot where I grow beans, carrots, beetroot and onions with reasonable success. Also tomatoes and peppers that are a bit more variable depending on if we get a decent summer or not. A few pots of herbs too (parsley, corriander and mint), and I'll usually plant a couple of tubs of flowers each summer. I don't have a greenhouse to grow my own seedlings, but I do have a small compost bin so no organic scraps go to waste.

One thing I have noticed gardening in London is a lot of pests, presumably they stick around while the urban surroundings scare off their predators. The slugs are terrible so hedgehogs would be welcome but I've not seen one in years. Also local council parking policies have encouraged lots of people to pave their front gardens into driveways, so all the birds that used to nest in the hedges seem to have disappeared. I also remember seeing so many ladybirds when I was a kid, but it's so rare to see one now (unlike all the little flies they used to eat which are everywhere now). Is pest control any easier for you guys in rural areas?

If you like it, wear it.

I have a small plot where I grow beans, carrots, beetroot and onions with reasonable success. Also tomatoes and peppers that are a bit more variable depending on if we get a decent summer or not. A few pots of herbs too (parsley, corriander and mint), and I'll usually plant a couple of tubs of flowers each summer. I don't have a greenhouse to grow my own seedlings, but I do have a small compost bin so no organic scraps go to waste.

I have a rather large compost pile BUT its not all from myself.

One thing I have noticed gardening in London is a lot of pests, presumably they stick around while the urban surroundings scare off their predators. The slugs are terrible so hedgehogs would be welcome but I've not seen one in years. Also local council parking policies have encouraged lots of people to pave their front gardens into driveways, so all the birds that used to nest in the hedges seem to have disappeared. I also remember seeing so many ladybirds when I was a kid, but it's so rare to see one now (unlike all the little flies they used to eat which are everywhere now). Is pest control any easier for you guys in rural areas?

Pest control in my area is a 22-250 rifle. We dont deal with just insects though. Its not uncommon to have Coons and WoodChucks digging into our Veggie gardens. Possums eat just about anything and have taken to our compost pile more then once in the last 3 months. They also like to eat through the walls of the Greenhouses and take to munching on things.

I grow swiss Chard in a Growbag all year round outdoors.  It won't crop in December, but that's all.  I had to give up my allotment as it became too much for me.  Only five rods, but I'm not getting any younger.  I miss it sometimes.

Whats an ' allotment ' as you speak of? Is that like a plot of land?

Chard is great ( like Beets ) but I cannot find non GMA type Chard ( or I would grow a LOT of it! ). I can acquire ' SilverBeets ' which are chards under a differing name, but the seeds sold here.. they have been genetically altered. If I could find an unmodified strain to test and verify, I would have a LOT of chard growing.

All : Heres my Tomato's and Peppers before I planted them. The Ferns hanging on the right are partial sun so they went on my porch where its shady most of the day. The picture facing outside is the other half along with the herbs ( gotta have my basil and garlic for cooking! ). The Baskets on the left are ' SuperTunias '. We made a lot of ' million belle ' baskets this year and they bloomed to be HUGE! 3 foot across in 20 inch hanging baskets.

The last pic is of a display we setup at the local ' festival ' they have every year. It was a sample of what all was for sale at the Greenhouses.

post-12379-0-50299500-1402632472_thumb.j

post-12379-0-91213200-1402632507_thumb.j

post-12379-0-00567600-1402632973_thumb.j

An allotment is a plot of public land that you rent from your local council and can use for gardening. They vary in size but aren't all that large - we're not talking acres here, or even one acre - more like an eighth or so. There is quite a waiting list to get one as they are very popular, and not very expensive to rent. Some if the ones near us are really well looked after and provide a nice bit if green space in the midst if all the housing.

The only item we even attempt is Rhubarb. Haven't even gotten back there to see how it's doing. We tried to do a bit of a garden, but we live in the woods surrounded by big farms etc. Guess where all the varmits live.

To be honest, we haven't done "jack s%&t" around the house this year. Been to busy getting ready for a 3 generation estate sale we will be having the week of the 4th. Maybe after the sale, I'll get to mowing the weeds we call the lawn.

Chard is great ( like Beets ) but I cannot find non GMA type Chard ( or I would grow a LOT of it! ). I can acquire ' SilverBeets ' which are chards under a differing name, but the seeds sold here.. they have been genetically altered. If I could find an unmodified strain to test and verify, I would have a LOT of chard growing.

I'm growing the heirloom variety Lucillus. Iv'e taken it to full term (2 years) and will be harvesting seed soon. The plants are almost finished and I'll be cutting the seed heads off soon for drying and threshing.

I'd be happy to send some seed off to you.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

ShyHeels : Thanks for the explanation. I figured the term was something in regards to a piece of land of somekind. I didnt realize it was so small though. It sounds like a ' backyard ' in a city here.

Shafted : I would LOVE to have some of those seeds. I have many seeds that could be exchanged/traded. You would have to let me know what your looking for.

Some allotments can get up to about 400 square metres - it depends. But yes, they are fairly small by farm standards. Just opportunities for city and town dwellers to grow a few veggies for themselves, or maybe make a few quid making honemade chutneys and the like.

In the past we've had rhubarb, sweet corn, tomatoes, beets, carrots, watermelon, raspberries, and a cherry tree. The cherry tree died a few years ago, and our water company is telling us to cut back severely this year so we're only doing rhubarb this year. Can't live without providing the family plenty of rhubarb pie and cobbler!

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

A rod is 30 and a quarter square yards. (It's also a measure of length, 51/2 yards)  My allotment was 5 rods, so 150+ square yards.  Some are ten rods.  I could manage it when I had my children to help, and they knew where their food came from.  When they left home it was too much for me.  And it was a mile from home and I don't drive.  I was heartbroken to give it up, but I had no choice.

A rod is 30 and a quarter square yards. (It's also a measure of length, 51/2 yards)  My allotment was 5 rods, so 150+ square yards.  Some are ten rods.  I could manage it when I had my children to help, and they knew where their food came from.  When they left home it was too much for me.  And it was a mile from home and I don't drive.  I was heartbroken to give it up, but I had no choice.

Wasn't there the possibility of just getting the size of the allotment reduced to a manageable size and cost savings? It would have also allowed for someone else to acquire a smaller allotment. Or do they not do it that way where you are?

A full allotment is ten rods, but where I am they  divided some into half allotments.  I did share with a friend for a bit.  But  the real advantage was to have very fresh veg, to pick it when I wanted it.  A two mile walk was a lot for that.  It's easier to flutter my eyelashes at the greengrocer and get a deal.  Probably cheaper too.  Seeds aren't free, neither is my time.

A bit like people spending hundreds of pounds on fishing tackle to get a free fish dinner. Although we do not have an allotment we live near a meadow with loads of blackberries and so for a few weeks in August and September we go 'harvesting' berries and make plenty of nearly free blackberry crumbles. No seeds, no weeding and the pleasure of the picking.

Lucky you! We've just got the blackberries but in good summers, there are gallons and gallons of them and not many people wandering through to pick them. Yes, gathering is very much the way to go!

A full allotment is ten rods, but where I am they  divided some into half allotments.  I did share with a friend for a bit.  But  the real advantage was to have very fresh veg, to pick it when I wanted it.  A two mile walk was a lot for that.  It's easier to flutter my eyelashes at the greengrocer and get a deal.  Probably cheaper too.  Seeds aren't free, neither is my time.

Two milies? Yiles! I can definitely see why you gave it up.

Well, a mile each way, two mile round trip.  It was worth it when there was more than me to feed.  I'm better off wandering and gathering.  I used to like to take mussels but I don't thik the water's clean enough at the moment..  But in a couple of weeks I can fish for mackerel.  The sea boils with them.  I can drag hooked feathers through the water and catch half a dozen at a go.  They go fresh into the freezer.

Well, a mile each way, two mile round trip.  It was worth it when there was more than me to feed.  I'm better off wandering and gathering.  I used to like to take mussels but I don't thik the water's clean enough at the moment..  But in a couple of weeks I can fish for mackerel.  The sea boils with them.  I can drag hooked feathers through the water and catch half a dozen at a go.  They go fresh into the freezer.

Mmm, I do love baked mackerel parboiled before baking to release some of the oils.

Between having an allotment, apple trees within reach, blackberries, mussels and mackerel, you must have hardly ever gone near a grocery store

I havent bought gas ( Petrol ) nor much of any ' food ' from a store in quite a while.  Its part of the ' benefit package ' of leaving the city area. ' Out here ', everyone has a farm of somekind and a garden of their own. The gardens arent ' small ' by any means as we can/preserve a lot of things so when winter rolls in, we dont have to worry about being ' snowed in '. Just go into the cellar and grab something to cook/eat.

I think Gardening is a really great thing. I didnt know much about it till recently and its quite a learning curve if you want to really cash in on a good crop.

BTW : I believe thats Shafteds back yard ( might be his driveway from the looks of it ). ;)

----------

I figured I would share some of the other things we grow, mainly flowers. Geraniums, perrenials, annuals, ferns..

First up are ' baskets '. They are called ' Million Belles '. Basically they are petunias grouped together. ( first 5 pics )

Sorry for the low quality on the pics, I have an old school flip-phone and didnt have my camera with me.

-------

These are neat and really pulled me into the fold. I thought the scenery in the film ' avatar ' was pretty neat and these kind of resemble them. ( next 3 pictures after the baskets )

-----

The last one is for Shafted. He liked those dark Suede type shoes. How about a BLACK Matte Supertunia? ( Large petunia ).( Yes, my hand lost its color from being sandblasted. ;) ) The picture doesnt do them justice at all! I will definitely have to get my camera out and take a good picture of them.

post-12379-0-13074200-1402974298_thumb.j

post-12379-0-44949900-1402974305_thumb.j

post-12379-0-64327600-1402974315_thumb.j

post-12379-0-79286000-1402974327_thumb.j

post-12379-0-18772300-1402974338_thumb.j

post-12379-0-55172400-1402974459_thumb.j

post-12379-0-85807900-1402974470_thumb.j

post-12379-0-55015400-1402974488_thumb.j

post-12379-0-69270500-1402974601_thumb.j

I love the idea of being completely self sustaining. And I have some of the necessaries to make such a move, but a good many complications too. For now it'll remain a dream. I can cheer you guys from the sidelines.

I also have a garden.  Rather small (two 4'x6' beds), but just started harvesting cucumbers last week.  Waiting on the tomatoes to start ripening and the blackeyed peas to start to dry.  The green onions are there year round and usually my cayenne peppers produce into December or January.  This year we also have a volunteer pumpkin plant from last years jack-o-lantern getting tossed in the compost pile.

Between having an allotment, apple trees within reach, blackberries, mussels and mackerel, you must have hardly ever gone near a grocery store

There's a surprising number of feral apple trees.  Along main roads, apparently motorists throwing cores out ot the window.  I found lots on the East Hill https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=east+hill+hastings&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ERGhU7OKI9Sy7Abc94CQDg&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQ7Ak&biw=1283&bih=584 I suppose from picnicers throwing away cores,  I'd always believed that pips reverted to crab, but apparently not, they just don;t grow quite true.  But there is a crabapple tree in the park, and crabapple jelly is delicious on toast, or with pork.